Home U.S. Coin Forum

1972-D Painted Kennedy Half - UPDATE

OAKSTAROAKSTAR Posts: 5,673 ✭✭✭✭✭
edited March 20, 2023 5:58AM in U.S. Coin Forum

The coin is not in very good shape. The paint doesn't help.

The designer initials don't appear to be showing through the paint. If you were going to use solvent,........no, scratch that. If you were going to remove the paint, what would you do?

Disclaimer: I'm not a dealer, trader, grader, investor or professional numismatist. I'm just a hobbyist. (To protect me but mostly you! 🤣 )

Comments

• VasantiVasanti Posts: 445 ✭✭✭✭

Soak it in acetone.

• NickelMikeNickelMike Posts: 189 ✭✭✭

Acetone would work. Save the time and just spend it

• Steven59Steven59 Posts: 8,261 ✭✭✭✭✭

Paint the rest of it red and sell it on eBay! :D

"When they can't find anything wrong with you, they create it!"

• JimnightJimnight Posts: 10,765 ✭✭✭✭✭

Acetone should work.

• AlanSkiAlanSki Posts: 1,777 ✭✭✭✭✭

Don’t pay an expert for free advice.

• MWallaceMWallace Posts: 3,832 ✭✭✭✭✭

Coins were painted in those days for a reason. For example, a bartender would use a painted coin in a jukebox to get things going in his bar. The hope was that customers would keep the jukebox going and hang out at the bar longer, thus drinking more. Then, when the jukebox owner came around to empty it, he could pick out the bar's coins easily and give them back to him. This "colorizing was done mostly on Quarters. For fun I used to pull all I found out of circulation. On my sampling, red was the most used color, followed by yellow, blue, and green.

• rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

Yep.. bar and diner coins.. back when there used to be juke boxes and even player machines at tables... So dining couples could select their music without leaving the table. Cheers, RickO

• MarkKelleyMarkKelley Posts: 1,749 ✭✭✭✭✭

The stars near the initials are too visible for it to be the no FG variety. Don't waste your time.

• OAKSTAROAKSTAR Posts: 5,673 ✭✭✭✭✭

@MWallace said:
    Coins were painted in those days for a reason. For example, a bartender would use a painted coin in a jukebox to get things going in his bar. The hope was that customers would keep the jukebox going and hang out at the bar longer, thus drinking more. Then, when the jukebox owner came around to empty it, he could pick out the bar's coins easily and give them back to him. This "colorizing was done mostly on Quarters. For fun I used to pull all I found out of circulation. On my sampling, red was the most used color, followed by yellow, blue, and green.

That's really interesting. Thanks for that! 👍🏻

Disclaimer: I'm not a dealer, trader, grader, investor or professional numismatist. I'm just a hobbyist. (To protect me but mostly you! 🤣 )

• Glen2022Glen2022 Posts: 840 ✭✭✭✭

@Steven59 said:
    Paint the rest of it red and sell it on eBay! :D

be sure to set a high reserve or high BIN price, similar to those extremely rare dateless Buffalo Nickels for $400..

• privatecoinprivatecoin Posts: 3,159 ✭✭✭✭✭

Oh just go at it with some paint thinner and some steel wool. It'll buff right out ... :D

Paper money eventually returns to its intrinsic value. Zero. Voltaire. Ebay coinbowlllc

• OwnerofawheatiehordeOwnerofawheatiehorde Posts: 1,504 ✭✭✭✭✭

Hmm let me just get my paint out....

Type collector, mainly into Seated. Young Numismatist. Good BST transactions with: mirabela, OKCC, MICHAELDIXON

edited March 19, 2023 5:44PM

The acetone worked. The designer initials are there as well.

• JBKJBK Posts: 14,638 ✭✭✭✭✭

I'm actually shocked that the acetone worked that well. Good to know.

I had assumed it was enamel paint and would require a soak and scrubbing with paint solvent/thinner.

@JBK said:
    I'm actually shocked that the acetone worked that well. Good to know.

I had assumed it was enamel paint and would require a soak and scrubbing with paint solvent/thinner.

I didn't know if it was enamel or acrylic but the acetone dissolved it.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file