Home U.S. Coin Forum

Working on my slabbed type set

Russell12Russell12 Posts: 193 ✭✭✭✭

I've started a slabbed type set, trying for all PCGS. Here are my first few . . .

Comments

• DRUNNERDRUNNER Posts: 3,791 ✭✭✭✭✭

Excellent choices. Slow and steady so you are happy with each piece you acquire . . . . . . . .

Have a lot of fun. I did . . . .

Drunner

• Shane6596Shane6596 Posts: 759 ✭✭✭✭✭

Very nice! I like them both.

Successful BST transactions with....Coinslave87, ChrisH821, Walkerguy21D, SanctionII.......................Received "You Suck" award 02/18/23

• RLSnapperRLSnapper Posts: 505 ✭✭✭✭✭

Nice coins. A fun way to do the project is to find matching Barbers....same grade and look. When you work on the seated coins same thing.same grade and same look. Odd denominations. half cent .2 cent, 3 cents and twenty cents...same grade and same look. You will have matching sets within your overall type set. I think it would be very eye appealing and a challenge.
    Snapper

• OAKSTAROAKSTAR Posts: 5,673 ✭✭✭✭✭

If the rest of your set is comparable to these two, you have a stunning set! 👍🏻 I have a slabbed type set. The pictures of the slabs are in the back of the 7070. The coins are in the album. 😂 🤣

Disclaimer: I'm not a dealer, trader, grader, investor or professional numismatist. I'm just a hobbyist. (To protect me but mostly you! 🤣 )

• TomBTomB Posts: 20,697 ✭✭✭✭✭

I love that Buffalo nickel. It looks like it has great luster.

Thomas Bush Numismatics & Numismatic Photography

In honor of the memory of Cpl. Michael E. Thompson

• BillJonesBillJones Posts: 33,427 ✭✭✭✭✭

@TomB said:
    I love that Buffalo nickel. It looks like it has great luster.

Yes, good choices! The Type I Buffalo can be dull.

Retired dealer and avid collector of U.S. type coins, 19th century presidential campaign medalets and selected medals. In recent years I have been working on a set of British coins - at least one coin from each king or queen who issued pieces that are collectible. I am also collecting at least one coin for each Roman emperor from Julius Caesar to ... ?
  • BryceMBryceM Posts: 11,721 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited March 18, 2023 2:30PM

Great start. What sort of type set? 20th Century (mine is in my sigline), complete US type, or something else? When I started my set more than a decade ago, the initial coins were very similar in grade to yours — probably lower, actually. I’ve upgraded almost all of them along the way, but the initial collection was just as fun anything since.

I’ve collected lots of stuff and I’ve discovered that type collecting really suits me. Keep sharing as you go.

• Project NumismaticsProject Numismatics Posts: 1,317 ✭✭✭✭✭

Solid coins - barber has a nice skin and the buff has great luster.

• rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Russell12... Very nice coins... You have a great start... Keep us posted as you add coins. Cheers, RickO

• oih82w8oih82w8 Posts: 11,867 ✭✭✭✭✭

Nice selections!

oih82w8 = Oh I Hate To Wait _defectus patientia_aka...Dr. Defecto - Curator of RMO's

BST transactions: dbldie55, jayPem, 78saen, UltraHighRelief, nibanny, liefgold, FallGuy, lkeigwin, mbogoman, Sandman70gt, keets, joeykoins, ianrussell (@GC), EagleEye, ThePennyLady, GRANDAM, Ilikecolor, Gluggo, okiedude, Voyageur, LJenkins11, fastfreddie, ms70, pursuitofliberty, ZoidMeister,Coin Finder, GotTheBug...
  • scooter25scooter25 Posts: 769 ✭✭✭✭

Nice looking coins!!

• 1630Boston1630Boston Posts: 13,772 ✭✭✭✭✭

Very nice :)

Successful transactions with : MICHAELDIXON, Manorcourtman, Bochiman, bolivarshagnasty, AUandAG, onlyroosies, chumley, Weiss, jdimmick, BAJJERFAN, gene1978, TJM965, Smittys, GRANDAM, JTHawaii, mainejoe, softparade, derryb

Bad transactions with : nobody to date

• Mr_SpudMr_Spud Posts: 4,354 ✭✭✭✭✭

It looks like you’re going after one or more of the Everyman Mint State type sets that allow up to MS64, is that correct?

Mr_Spud

• Russell12Russell12 Posts: 193 ✭✭✭✭

@Mr_Spud said:
    It looks like you’re going after one or more of the Everyman Mint State type sets that allow up to MS64, is that correct?

Not on purpose, just getting what I like and can afford.

I see. Well so far the ones you got would fit those Everyman Mint State type sets if you choose to register them in the Registry.

Mr_Spud

• dsessomdsessom Posts: 2,212 ✭✭✭✭✭

In my opinion, US type sets are the most fun because of the diversity of the coins. Collecting a series is fun too, but to other people, seeing coin after coin, and the only major difference is the date or mint mark, it can be boring.
    I'm working slowly on a PCGS graded type set too. It's a lot of fun.

How do I go about registering a set?

I started mine by downloading the PCGS Registry App on my iPhone and IPad and adding my slabbed coins to my inventory in the app. Then I looked at the different registry sets that exist and clicked on start a set for the ones I wanted and then clicked on “add best available” and it creates the Registry set for you. I liked doing it because it’s like filling an album. It shows you which ones are missing and allows you to focus on filling the holes, just like album collecting does.

Mr_Spud

This link should help you, if you are interested https://www.pcgs.com/setregistry

Mr_Spud

anybody want to see more?

• TomBTomB Posts: 20,697 ✭✭✭✭✭

That Lincoln cent looks really nice for an MS63 and I would be delighted to see more.

Thomas Bush Numismatics & Numismatic Photography

In honor of the memory of Cpl. Michael E. Thompson

catching up . . .

My newest addition

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file