Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

Equally priced, which one would you choose for your collection?

13»

Comments

• Options
    BillJonesBillJones Posts: 33,486 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited March 20, 2023 10:33AM
    #2, Genuine, (Cleaned, AU Detail)

@spacehayduke said:

@skier07 said:
    I wouldn’t buy either coin but if I was forced to make a decision I would reluctantly pick the straight graded one. There’s no good reason to buy a details 16-D IMHO. They’re expensive but certainly not rare and there’s no reason to compromise.

All 16-D's are way overpriced to the point of ridiculousness. Despite being a key, it is as common as mud in a wet field except in MS grades where it is uncommon (certainly not rare). But bc it is called a key, demand is high and folks pay way too much for these. So I agree with you that I would not spend my money on either, or, any other 16-D in existence. Certainly for the money for one of these in any grade one can buy truly rare coins in less common series.....................

I will agree with you that the 1916-D Mercury Dime is "as common as mud" in AG-3. One could probably assemble a roll of them after going to a couple major shows.

The pieces in the middle collector grades like Choice Fine to EF is another matter. I have not seen a lot of those. I had to do some hunting to fill a want list for a "true EF" with all of the vertical ax lines showing when I was a dealer. Like the Barber coins, the mid grade examples of these coins got killed during the Great Depression. "Buddy can you spare a dime" was for real.

BTW, the grading for this date has become a breeding ground for grade-fltion. Forty years ago, the VF-25 would have been called VG to Fine or VG-10

Retired dealer and avid collector of U.S. type coins, 19th century presidential campaign medalets and selected medals. In recent years I have been working on a set of British coins - at least one coin from each king or queen who issued pieces that are collectible. I am also collecting at least one coin for each Roman emperor from Julius Caesar to ... ?
  • Options
    124Spider124Spider Posts: 848 ✭✭✭✭✭

@coastaljerseyguy said:
    The market ultimately decides a coins value and TPGs cannot override that with a 3rd class of coins.

But the "market" is constrained by the choice of TPGs to put a coin in purgatory; that choice, by itself, seriously depresses the market value of that coin, regardless of how attractive that coin is. Were it consigned to a higher level of purgatory, it's market value would be less constrained.

• Options
    crazyhounddogcrazyhounddog Posts: 13,820 ✭✭✭✭✭

An in hand view would be the only way I could pass judgement.

The bitterness of "Poor Quality" is remembered long after the sweetness of low price is forgotten.
  • Options
    TrampTramp Posts: 655 ✭✭✭✭✭

Good discussion and nearly a 50/50 split vote. Very interesting.

My 16-D didn't come back from our host labeled Harshly Cleaned as the coins pictured below did.
    That should speak to the level of light cleaning on this 16-D.

I'll take the lightly cleaned, much higher detailed coin #2, over a well worn coin lacking design details it was born with, since the price was equal to a VF25. Simply cannot find one with those details for under $12K.

This 16-D was sitting happily in my Dansco fitting right in with the MS Mercs until a supposed expert at a coin show challenged it's authenticity, because it looks that nice in hand and it wasn't in a slab.
    So I sent it in to our host for their expert opinion. Who knows, I may just end up cracking it out to fill that hole again and after a few years resubmit.

Happy hunting!

USAF (Ret.) 1985 - 2005. E-4B Aircraft Maintenance Crew Chief and Contracting Officer.
    My current Registry sets:
    ✓ Everyman Mint State Carson City Morgan Dollars (1878 – 1893)
    ✓ Everyman Mint State Lincoln Cents (1909 – 1958)
    ✓ Morgan Dollar GSA Hoard (1878 – 1891)

• Options
    Namvet69Namvet69 Posts: 8,676 ✭✭✭✭✭
    #1, VF25 (PCGS)

Honest grade VF is a good place to be on this dime, IMO

BST: endeavor1967, synchr, kliao, Outhaul, Donttellthewife, U1Chicago, ajaan, mCarney1173, SurfinHi, MWallace, Sandman70gt, mustanggt, Pittstate03, Lazybones, Walkerguy21D, coinandcurrency242 , thebigeng, Collectorcoins, JimTyler, USMarine6, Elkevvo, Coll3ctor, Yorkshireman, CUKevin, ranshdow, CoinHunter4, bennybravo, Centsearcher, braddick, Windycity, ZoidMeister, mirabela, JJM, RichURich, Bullsitter, jmski52, LukeMarshall

• Options
    coinkatcoinkat Posts: 22,795 ✭✭✭✭✭

I would need to see both in hand for review to offer a well thought out answer.

Experience the World through Numismatics...it's more than you can imagine.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file