Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

Columbian Expo grading.

I found one of these in a pile of junk, and for 15 bucks, deal! I couldn’t find any pictures to compare it too, so I seek help. Thank you.

Type collector, mainly into Seated. Young Numismatist. Good BST transactions with: mirabela, OKCC, MICHAELDIXON

Comments

• Options
    OwnerofawheatiehordeOwnerofawheatiehorde Posts: 1,523 ✭✭✭✭✭

This is probably the most realistic.

Type collector, mainly into Seated. Young Numismatist. Good BST transactions with: mirabela, OKCC, MICHAELDIXON

• Options
    MFeldMFeld Posts: 12,056 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited March 16, 2023 6:32PM

I was in the AU55 (possibly AU 58) range based on the first set of images and am at AU58 (possibly AU55), after seeing the second obverse shot.

Mark Feld* of Heritage Auctions*Unless otherwise noted, my posts here represent my personal opinions.

• Options
    dunkleosteus430dunkleosteus430 Posts: 471 ✭✭✭✭

You can go to CoinFacts's page for Columbian half dollars and click on "more images." There will be TrueViews of mostly MS examples, but several in various states of wear. You can compare it to those. Yours seems to be AU-XF. It may or may not be cleaned or something (I'm not the best at identifying problems.)

Young Numismatist

• Options
    BillJonesBillJones Posts: 33,486 ✭✭✭✭✭

I would say AU sharpness with the possibility that it has been cleaned. The black spot on the bust of Columbus might not come off very well. It is a somewhat typical junk box find. These coins were released into circulation after the fair ended. Lightly circulated ones are fairly common.

Retired dealer and avid collector of U.S. type coins, 19th century presidential campaign medalets and selected medals. In recent years I have been working on a set of British coins - at least one coin from each king or queen who issued pieces that are collectible. I am also collecting at least one coin for each Roman emperor from Julius Caesar to ... ?
  • Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

My guess would be mid-AU... The black spot on the obverse is distracting, I would try an acetone soak, though not sure it will help. (Can't hurt it) Cheers, RickO

• Options
    NumisOxideNumisOxide Posts: 10,989 ✭✭✭✭✭

Looks low AU.

• Options
    ndeaglesndeagles Posts: 309 ✭✭✭✭

I can't really tell from the pictures but it looks like it may have some signs of cleaning, my guess is AU Details on this coin. My LCS has a box of these they sell for $15 each, the ones in the box are lower grades than this one.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file