Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

$1,800 , $18,000 or $180,000 What would you pay

JW77JW77 Posts: 461 ✭✭✭✭✭

I'm not much of a modern coin guy, but I find this auction at GC very interesting. It's just a bullion modern eagle, but it is also a piece of history. I would like to own it (can't afford it), but I venture to guess it will go for big bucks. What are your thoughts about this coin.
Pic courtesy GC

Comments

• Options
    Shane6596Shane6596 Posts: 759 ✭✭✭✭✭

PCGS price guide is $2,600.

I like it, but it will be out of my comfort zone.

Successful BST transactions with....Coinslave87, ChrisH821, Walkerguy21D, SanctionII.......................Received "You Suck" award 02/18/23

• Options

@Shane6596 said:
    PCGS price guide is $2,600.

I like it, but it will be out of my comfort zone.

It's already over $9k; it does come with additional historical paperwork from the opening ceremony. My guess is it will go a lot higher from here. How do you look at this coin-is it gold bullion or is it historically significant?

• Options
    BillJonesBillJones Posts: 33,486 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited March 15, 2023 8:01AM

Whatever the going rate for normal example is.

Since gold is now over $1,900, according to my last check on it, I might not be a buyer at this time.

Retired dealer and avid collector of U.S. type coins, 19th century presidential campaign medalets and selected medals. In recent years I have been working on a set of British coins - at least one coin from each king or queen who issued pieces that are collectible. I am also collecting at least one coin for each Roman emperor from Julius Caesar to ... ?
  • Options
    dsessomdsessom Posts: 2,212 ✭✭✭✭✭

Like everyone always says "It's worth what the highest bidder is willing to pay". PCGS Price Guide is just that - a guide. It does not account for anything other than the numerical grade. There can always be other factors that affect the real world value such as toning, strike quality, pedigree, historical significance, etc. In this case, although the coin IS just a gold bullion coin, it has a pretty historically significant story that goes with it, and it's also documented.

• Options
    Glen2022Glen2022 Posts: 845 ✭✭✭✭

Jee, its only a 68. No thanks, Kidding aside, is there also a label with the First Gold AE struck on 9/8/86? If so. who owns? Value?

• Options
    NeophyteNumismatistNeophyteNumismatist Posts: 897 ✭✭✭✭✭

Even $1,800 puts this coin at a price point that competes with coins that I want more.

I am a newer collector (started April 2020), and I primarily focus on U.S. Half Cents and Type Coins. Early copper is my favorite.

• Options
    edwardjulioedwardjulio Posts: 1,034 ✭✭✭✭✭

Scott should have adjusted the striking pressure.

End Systemic Elitism - It Takes All Of Us

• Options
    pcgscacgoldpcgscacgold Posts: 2,638 ✭✭✭✭✭

yes, it is worth what the person pays for it. Not for me to tell that person what it is worth.

• Options

@dsessom said:
    Like everyone always says "It's worth what the highest bidder is willing to pay". PCGS Price Guide is just that - a guide. It does not account for anything other than the numerical grade. There can always be other factors that affect the real world value such as toning, strike quality, pedigree, historical significance, etc. In this case, although the coin IS just a gold bullion coin, it has a pretty historically significant story that goes with it, and it's also documented.

This made me wonder where the 1st American Eagle is. I assume the Smithsonian, but couldn't confirm it.

• Options
    BryceMBryceM Posts: 11,735 ✭✭✭✭✭

Two issues here for me. First, the surfaces look a little strange. The area over the date and the left, upper obverse field look "busy" to me. Maybe it's just on the holder. There are plenty of other prettier bullion coins out there.

The second issue is whether or not I think the 27th coin struck is worthy of special admiration. To me, no, not really. Maybe the first one would be significant. To someone else, this coins probably seems special enough to warrant a premium.

But..... I'm also the guy who made special arrangements with the DMV to get license plate #25 for my county...... so there's that. B)

• Options
    mr1931Smr1931S Posts: 5,975 ✭✭✭✭✭

Great spirits have always encountered violent opposition from mediocre minds.-Albert Einstein

• Options
    TrampTramp Posts: 655 ✭✭✭✭✭

Not for me. Only at melt+ small percentage. If you took it out of it's coffin, all you have is bullion. JMO

USAF (Ret.) 1985 - 2005. E-4B Aircraft Maintenance Crew Chief and Contracting Officer.
    My current Registry sets:
    ✓ Everyman Mint State Carson City Morgan Dollars (1878 – 1893)
    ✓ Everyman Mint State Lincoln Cents (1909 – 1958)
    ✓ Morgan Dollar GSA Hoard (1878 – 1891)

• Options
    wozymodowozymodo Posts: 138 ✭✭✭

Scott who?
    Buy the coin (not this one - It's crap :)) not the label

• Options
    291fifth291fifth Posts: 23,945 ✭✭✭✭✭

85% of melt.

All glory is fleeting.
  • Options
    TheRavenTheRaven Posts: 4,143 ✭✭✭✭

Just pass for me. $2000 round number melt, plenty I would rather have for that price.

Collection under construction: VG Barber Quarters & Halves
  • Options
    jkrkjkrk Posts: 967 ✭✭✭✭✭

OK I accept responsibility for my own poor decisions. It's not a valid comparison but....

I own coin 78 from the Gold Union $100 George T Morgan from a ltd edition of 5000.

Thought about bringing it to my dentist in case I need add'l fillings.

• Options
    CharlotteDudeCharlotteDude Posts: 2,892 ✭✭✭✭✭

The 27th struck? Yawn…. Maybe if it was in the top five it would then be worth a slight premium over melt. It is, after all, just a bullion coin.

Got Crust....y gold?
  • Options
    WalkerfanWalkerfan Posts: 8,976 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited March 15, 2023 1:54PM

A dealer would offer you near melt....

Labels don't impress me....

Current bid $9350......SOMEONE thinks it's worth more......

“I may not believe in myself but I believe in what I’m doing” ~Jimmy Page~

My Full Walker Registry Set (1916-1947)

https://www.ngccoin.com/registry/competitive-sets/16292/

• Options

Well, I can relate to everyone who thinks it's only worth bullion bucks. Its a shame this example has imperfections. With that being said, I do think there is historical significance with all the documentation that comes would the coin. I could see myself paying 2x or 3x gold value to acquire it. I happen to agree with @CharlotteDude that a top five or even a top 10 would be more significant, particularly in a MS70 holder, and I would even go to the $10k(with fee) where the bid is currently at or even more. Just my thoughts.

• Options
    Cougar1978Cougar1978 Posts: 7,644 ✭✭✭✭✭

$1800

So Cali Area - Coins & Currency
  • Options
    cameonut2011cameonut2011 Posts: 10,062 ✭✭✭✭✭

@edwardjulio said:
    Scott should have adjusted the striking pressure.

He should have struck it 50 times with sand blasted dies and sold it as a unique matte proof.

• Options
    coinbufcoinbuf Posts: 10,772 ✭✭✭✭✭

Not worth anything than bullion value to me, a fool and his money are soon parted is all I think when I see the price this is going for.

My Lincoln Registry
    My Collection of Old Holders

Never a slave to one plastic brand will I ever be.
  • Options
    Steven59Steven59 Posts: 8,294 ✭✭✭✭✭

I thought it was "Buy the coin NOT the Label". But who knows ????????

"When they can't find anything wrong with you, they create it!"

• Options
    logger7logger7 Posts: 8,094 ✭✭✭✭✭

Travers ran a numismatic company for many years was a head honcho at the ANA for a while. He gave me good advice once on a boiler room operation on Long Island. He wrote some good books.

• Options
    124Spider124Spider Posts: 848 ✭✭✭✭✭

Call me simple (it's happened before), but I don't understand why anyone would much care about this.

I understand, e.g., GSA holders for Morgan Dollars. And I understand holders showing the coin is from a famous shipwreck.

But I just cannot bring myself to care about, e.g., "first strike." And the like. To me, this is in that group.

YMMV

• Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

Collectors interests vary widely.... Obviously this is special to some collectors, or the bids would not be this high. To others, not so much... Seems to be enough interest that even resale will likely be good.... Cheers, RickO

• Options
    telephoto1telephoto1 Posts: 4,751 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited March 16, 2023 8:56AM

@logger7 said:
    Travers ran a numismatic company for many years was a head honcho at the ANA for a while. He gave me good advice once on a boiler room operation on Long Island. He wrote some good books.

So in your opinion does his name on a label instantly make the coin worth 5 times what it would be without it?
    I don't see it personally, especially on the 27th example struck. If it's one of the first 10... ok, maybe a bit of a premium- but #27? And a lower end example to boot?

RIP Mom- 1932-2012
  • Options
    ColonialcoinColonialcoin Posts: 625 ✭✭✭✭

I’m not into gold but I would never spend big money on a modern gold bullion coin which is just that, bullion. If I was going to spend big on one coin, the money would go into early dated half eagles.

• Options
    logger7logger7 Posts: 8,094 ✭✭✭✭✭

I wonder what the resale value of the coin will be after it sells? It looks like a highly desireable coin, but would rather have a bunch of certified $20s, better designs and look.

• Options
    mark_dakmark_dak Posts: 1,095 ✭✭✭✭✭

@BillJones said:
    Whatever the going rate for normal example is.

Since gold is now over $1,900, according to my last check on it, I might not be a buyer at this time.

What Bill said... At $1900 I am not a buyer of modern gold at all... even at or near bullion price. I was a buyer at $1000 to $1100 but since then I have passed on countless modern pieces at melt. Signature and 27th coin is of no significance in my eyes.

Mark

• Options
    daltexdaltex Posts: 3,486 ✭✭✭✭✭

More to the point, does the label hold its value without the accompanying paperwork?

• Options
    Namvet69Namvet69 Posts: 8,676 ✭✭✭✭✭

And that greasy latent at K1 doesn't help the grade.

BST: endeavor1967, synchr, kliao, Outhaul, Donttellthewife, U1Chicago, ajaan, mCarney1173, SurfinHi, MWallace, Sandman70gt, mustanggt, Pittstate03, Lazybones, Walkerguy21D, coinandcurrency242 , thebigeng, Collectorcoins, JimTyler, USMarine6, Elkevvo, Coll3ctor, Yorkshireman, CUKevin, ranshdow, CoinHunter4, bennybravo, Centsearcher, braddick, Windycity, ZoidMeister, mirabela, JJM, RichURich, Bullsitter, jmski52, LukeMarshall

• Options

@daltex said:
    More to the point, does the label hold its value without the accompanying paperwork?

For most of the folks who look at this as a bullion coin its a moot point. But for the few who see some historical significance I would say the paperwork has a significant impact on its value. After all, it is not the label, but rather what the label represents, and the paperwork is a large part of that documentation.

• Options
    telephoto1telephoto1 Posts: 4,751 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Namvet69 said:
    And that greasy latent at K1 doesn't help the grade.

Maybe they want it because it's the only one known with his fingerprint on it B)

RIP Mom- 1932-2012
  • Options
    Joe_360Joe_360 Posts: 1,613 ✭✭✭✭✭

I think that I'd rather own the 2021 V75...

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file