Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

Modern Gold NEWP

ashelandasheland Posts: 22,688 ✭✭✭✭✭

I’ve been looking for one of these for a little while now. Just got it yesterday...
Looking at previous prices, $600 seems like a steal! B)

Comments

• Options
    dsessomdsessom Posts: 2,212 ✭✭✭✭✭

I have never seen one of these before, but according to the price guide, and history, it appears that you got it for about half price!

• Options
    jfriedm56jfriedm56 Posts: 838 ✭✭✭✭✭

@asheland, great find. $600. seems like a bargain today. Congrats!

• Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

@asheland... You got that one at a great price... I followed those for a while and always commanded a significant premium. Cheers, RickO

• Options
    1madman1madman Posts: 1,291 ✭✭✭✭✭
  • Options

That went super cheap! :o

• Options
    batumibatumi Posts: 797 ✭✭✭✭

@asheland said:

That went super cheap! :o

Little to no downside risk on that one. A steal imo for the buyer.

• Options
    BillJonesBillJones Posts: 33,481 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited March 15, 2023 10:36AM

Yes, with a mintage of 5,174, it might seem "scarce," but there are many 19th century gold coins that have survived with smaller numbers. A vast majority of that 5,174 mintage still exists today.

This 1882 gold dollar has a reported mintage of 5,000. This isn't a knock on your new coin, which is a significant modern issue for a worthy cause. It's just to put the mintages in perspective. For those who like to guess grades, this one is graded MS-63.

Retired dealer and avid collector of U.S. type coins, 19th century presidential campaign medalets and selected medals. In recent years I have been working on a set of British coins - at least one coin from each king or queen who issued pieces that are collectible. I am also collecting at least one coin for each Roman emperor from Julius Caesar to ... ?
  • Options
    batumibatumi Posts: 797 ✭✭✭✭

@asheland said:
    I’ve been looking for one of these for a little while now. Just got it yesterday...
    Looking at previous prices, $600 seems like a steal! B)

I also was able to win one of these at a recent GC sale. Down to one plus the two 2022 issues to fill my MS and PR sets of these. A good way to stack some gold with little downside risk.

• Options
    edited March 15, 2023 10:42AM

I also was able to win one of these at a recent GC sale. Down to one plus the two 2022 issues to fill my MS and PR sets of these. A good way to stack some gold with little downside risk.

Yes, I ended up doing that when I purchased all of the double sets (Proof and Mint State) in the wooden boxes. The Jackie Robinson coins were the late commemorative sets that came in a wooden box. That time, however, the box contained a Proof $5 gold, a pin, fancy baseball card and a cloth patch. The four piece double sets came in a velvet box. I almost bought one of those when the price was high ($2,600). Thank goodness I didn't. That was the Grey Sheet bid price just before the prices were headed downward.

Retired dealer and avid collector of U.S. type coins, 19th century presidential campaign medalets and selected medals. In recent years I have been working on a set of British coins - at least one coin from each king or queen who issued pieces that are collectible. I am also collecting at least one coin for each Roman emperor from Julius Caesar to ... ?
  • Options

@BillJones said:
    Yes, with a mintage of 5,174, it might seem "scarce," but there are many 19th century gold coins that have survived with smaller numbers. A vast majority of that 5,174 mintage still exists today.

This 1882 gold dollar has a reported mintage of 5,000. This isn't a knock on your new coin, which is a significant modern issue for a worthy cause. It's just to put the mintages in perspective. For those who like to guess grades, this one is graded MS-63.

No knock at all, I totally analyze these thing myself! I have seen, especially with those late gold dollars that the survivor rate is indeed high.

• Options

@BillJones Nice 1884 G$1 by the way! :)

• Options
    Riley1955Riley1955 Posts: 136 ✭✭✭

@asheland very nice coin and great buy!

• Options

The true view arrived today. Gotta say I’m disappointed on this one.
    None of that debris is on the coin or ever was!

• Options

No knock at all, I totally analyze these thing myself! I have seen, especially with those late gold dollars that the survivor rate is indeed high.

Yes, the gold dollar survival rates are quite high from the 1880s, but the Jackie Robinson $5 gold rates are even higher. According to "Coin Facts" there are 500, 1884 gold dollars left.

The 1880, which has a mintage of 1,600, 1,000 of them are left. It's hard not to like something that looks like this. This is an MS-65, which looks better.

• Options
    DeplorableDanDeplorableDan Posts: 2,536 ✭✭✭✭✭

@asheland said:
    The true view arrived today. Gotta say I’m disappointed on this one.
    None of that debris is on the coin or ever was!

Major bummer. If the TV was the only picture I had, I would probably pass on the coin because of that.

• Options

Agree! Luckily, I have slab shots showing it’s clean in there. 👍

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file