Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

How many people get fooled by this…

Comments

  • Options
    privatecoinprivatecoin Posts: 3,184 ✭✭✭✭✭

    Sadly, too many.....

    Paper money eventually returns to its intrinsic value. Zero. Voltaire. Ebay coinbowlllc

  • Options
    JW77JW77 Posts: 460 ✭✭✭✭✭

    Gold Clad is an oxymoron. A tricky was of saying gold plated. worthless junk!

  • Options
    ms71ms71 Posts: 1,460 ✭✭✭✭✭

    Hey, c'mon. Why wouldn't I believe I'm going to get about $307 worth of gold (at today's price) for about nine bucks. I'm gonna order some, but first I've gotta call some friends so they can get in on this.

    Successful BST transactions: EagleEye, Christos, Proofmorgan,
    Coinlearner, Ahrensdad, Nolawyer, RG, coinlieutenant, Yorkshireman, lordmarcovan, Soldi, masscrew, JimTyler, Relaxn, jclovescoins

    Now listen boy, I'm tryin' to teach you sumthin' . . . . that ain't an optical illusion, it only looks like an optical illusion.

    My mind reader refuses to charge me....
  • Options
    Jzyskowski1Jzyskowski1 Posts: 6,651 ✭✭✭✭✭

    What JM said.

    🎶 shout shout, let it all out 🎶

  • Options
    FrazFraz Posts: 1,846 ✭✭✭✭✭

    Hmmm…

  • Options
    ChrisH821ChrisH821 Posts: 6,328 ✭✭✭✭✭

    @jmlanzaf said:
    Anyone fooled by that deserves it.

    Maybe, but there's no denying that the item title is intentionally misleading and morally questionable.

    Collector, occasional seller

  • Options
    MasonGMasonG Posts: 6,268 ✭✭✭✭✭

    @heavymetal said:
    Definitely need to read the description.

    When don't you?

  • Options
    AUandAGAUandAG Posts: 24,537 ✭✭✭✭✭

    Ebay does not allow plated gold bars/coins.
    report them if it's on ebay.
    bob

    Registry: CC lowballs (boblindstrom), bobinvegas1989@yahoo.com
  • Options
    JimnightJimnight Posts: 10,813 ✭✭✭✭✭

    Good bait for a fool.

  • Options
    PerryHallPerryHall Posts: 45,423 ✭✭✭✭✭

    I wonder how many are sold to flea market venders. I can see them buying them and then marking up the price and then reselling them.

    Worry is the interest you pay on a debt you may not owe.

  • Options
    jmlanzafjmlanzaf Posts: 31,912 ✭✭✭✭✭

    @PerryHall said:
    I wonder how many are sold to flea market venders. I can see them buying them and then marking up the price and then reselling them.

    I don't think flea market vendors would. It's too easy to find them the next week at the same market. But I guarantee some of those Facebook, IG sellers do it. I've seen their victims come into the local shops. Why anyone thinks buying gold from an anonymous person in a parking lot is a good idea, I'll never know.

  • Options
    coinbufcoinbuf Posts: 10,762 ✭✭✭✭✭

    Well from looking at your screenshot, at least 567 have been sold, no telling how many buyers as some may have bought multiple bars as an inflation hedge. ;)

    My Lincoln Registry
    My Collection of Old Holders

    Never a slave to one plastic brand will I ever be.
  • Options
    erscoloerscolo Posts: 493 ✭✭✭✭✭

    97.6% positive feedback is all I need to see. I only shop 99.8% positive feedback or higher. It is by no means the only measurement, but it is an important one.

  • Options
    WAYNEASWAYNEAS Posts: 6,347 ✭✭✭✭✭

    Well if you want, you can get a big discount on FB in buying Forever stamps at a huge savings.
    Facebook seems to consistently turn an eye on fraudulent items posted on its site no matter how many people report it.Greed conquers common sense every time.
    Wayne

    Kennedys are my quest...

  • Options
    AlanSkiAlanSki Posts: 1,822 ✭✭✭✭✭

    I’m a self-proclaimed expert. No one fools me, not even paid experts.

  • Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

    The title of the sale is definitely misleading, though way down, it is listed as clad. Still, people will be (have been) scammed. If ebay does not allow these sales, it is late in eliminating the listing, it is still active. Cheers, RickO

  • Options
    FrankHFrankH Posts: 773 ✭✭✭✭✭

    Is Ersatz in Europe? :D

  • Options
    BuffaloIronTailBuffaloIronTail Posts: 7,408 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited March 14, 2023 11:05AM

    @ChrisH821 said:

    @jmlanzaf said:
    Anyone fooled by that deserves it.

    Maybe, but there's no denying that the item title is intentionally misleading and morally questionable.

    Morally?

    HAH!

    There's less of that around now than there ever was.

    Pete

    "I tell them there's no problems.....only solutions" - John Lennon
  • Options
    MaywoodMaywood Posts: 1,897 ✭✭✭✭✭

    It seems to me that people here "get fooled" by what's in the OP into thinking something wrong is being done. Here's a link:
    https://ebay.com/itm/295457906993?hash=item44caa9e131:g:EpIAAOSwC5Rj5uZ-&amdata=enc%3AAQAHAAAA8BmViZ1IY8eitlLiQkVYR4Ow9Xp8XCAXx6mxoklzBf%2Friz%2FjLQQX3h%2FuSUI9AbW9X%2BVNT0VxIGE%2BMuAlMjrWuUyZME5sKNKclSe13%2Fy2XYlev8f1WyJ4ezkMPzV2Rimh6FfPflkl95%2BpoGKGEIGhdhCDGPFjL1sQzsela8mYcR3QbOFhm34Alqer%2BzR7o1vDEv2pJEs08gUt3cVtwO8HCfrsWh4sXuzueecoUh7mkcMG92X5oyBlY64w5UVTIOGf9jw1mLBVVT%2FDVqCosp29laVc65P8O82apwtrYTfRVNZW3cQpj7feZZkTUrEOPsID4A%3D%3D%7Ctkp%3ABFBMzLqdldxh

    Going by what's in the listing I don't think there's any deception. You might not like that there's stuff like this out there for sale but please explain to me what's wrong with it? There appear to be buyers who want the item.

  • Options
    airplanenutairplanenut Posts: 21,908 ✭✭✭✭✭

    @Maywood said:
    It seems to me that people here "get fooled" by what's in the OP into thinking something wrong is being done. Here's a link:
    https://ebay.com/itm/295457906993?hash=item44caa9e131:g:EpIAAOSwC5Rj5uZ-&amdata=enc%3AAQAHAAAA8BmViZ1IY8eitlLiQkVYR4Ow9Xp8XCAXx6mxoklzBf%2Friz%2FjLQQX3h%2FuSUI9AbW9X%2BVNT0VxIGE%2BMuAlMjrWuUyZME5sKNKclSe13%2Fy2XYlev8f1WyJ4ezkMPzV2Rimh6FfPflkl95%2BpoGKGEIGhdhCDGPFjL1sQzsela8mYcR3QbOFhm34Alqer%2BzR7o1vDEv2pJEs08gUt3cVtwO8HCfrsWh4sXuzueecoUh7mkcMG92X5oyBlY64w5UVTIOGf9jw1mLBVVT%2FDVqCosp29laVc65P8O82apwtrYTfRVNZW3cQpj7feZZkTUrEOPsID4A%3D%3D%7Ctkp%3ABFBMzLqdldxh

    Going by what's in the listing I don't think there's any deception. You might not like that there's stuff like this out there for sale but please explain to me what's wrong with it? There appear to be buyers who want the item.

    It's very simple--the title makes a claim that is patently false, and that's wrong by any ethical measure. Yes, a buyer should know something is amiss when they're paying $9 for 1/6oz of gold, which is worth hundreds of dollars. However, the title as written is simply not true. This isn't a case where the description adds more details to a title that is otherwise true; the description completely changes what the item is, and the title is intentionally incorrect. It's a rare case where I think both sides are wrong because buyers should know better, but the seller is absolutely at fault.

    JK Coin Photography - eBay Consignments | High Quality Photos | LOW Prices | 20% of Consignment Proceeds Go to Pancreatic Cancer Research
  • Options
    MFeldMFeld Posts: 12,050 ✭✭✭✭✭

    Well said, Jeremy and I don't understand how someone could say "Going by what's in the listing I don't think there's any deception."

    Mark Feld* of Heritage Auctions*Unless otherwise noted, my posts here represent my personal opinions.

  • Options
    MFeldMFeld Posts: 12,050 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited March 14, 2023 12:13PM

    Duplicate post deleted

    Mark Feld* of Heritage Auctions*Unless otherwise noted, my posts here represent my personal opinions.

  • Options
    fathomfathom Posts: 1,513 ✭✭✭✭✭

    @jmlanzaf said:

    @ChrisH821 said:

    @jmlanzaf said:
    Anyone fooled by that deserves it.

    Maybe, but there's no denying that the item title is intentionally misleading and morally questionable.

    Oh, I'm not defending the listing. But if you jump on that, it's greed clouding your judgment... and stopping you from reading the details.

    Like V-Box?

    I'm kidding. Its enticing and very prevalent, TV adds for gold plated buffalo coins etc.

    Very aesthetic presentation.

  • Options
    DeplorableDanDeplorableDan Posts: 2,536 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited March 14, 2023 12:46PM

    Delete, wrong thread

  • Options
    dsessomdsessom Posts: 2,212 ✭✭✭✭✭

    My poor old dad was duped into buying ten of these fake ASE's. It broke my heart to tell him that they were not real silver ASE's but silver plated fakes. I bought him ten real ones for his birthday, because I felt so bad for him.

  • Options
    MaywoodMaywood Posts: 1,897 ✭✭✭✭✭

    @MFeld said: Well said, Jeremy and I don't understand how someone could say "Going by what's in the listing I don't think there's any deception."

    And I am left with nothing to say except "Caveat Emptor" which has been around since before my time.

    Don't misunderstand me, I'm not trying to defend the seller or excusing anything, but if buyers refuse to read things through and don't except that there's "fine print" in everything and that scams abound, than they can't really be helped. It is a symptom of the current day that everyone is a victim and I just don't accept that premise.

    --- Bad seller for initially misrepresenting something that they very clearly correct farther down in the listing.
    --- Bad buyers, maybe, if they think they're getting something they aren't because they didn't read the complete listing or look at both images posted.
    --- Good buyers, probably, who got exactly what they thought because they read the whole listing.
    --- Bad thread starter for not showing the back of the bar or the listing description.
    --- Bad forum members for piling on the seller and me simply because they don't agree with everything.
    --- Bad me for being the contrarian who expects people in today's world to have some responsibility for their actions.

  • Options
    OnastoneOnastone Posts: 3,786 ✭✭✭✭✭

    But.....but.....did you even see "FREE SHIPPING" ?? What a savings!! And they were listed at $8.95 or BEST OFFER!! How many people got fooled by this one??? Just one, and he bought 567!!!!! Yikes~ :o

  • Options
    logger7logger7 Posts: 8,079 ✭✭✭✭✭

    I'd always look for various clues that what you see may not be what you expect....such as a "tribute" coin, or "covered in 100% pure ****" or priced under the melt value.

  • Options
    airplanenutairplanenut Posts: 21,908 ✭✭✭✭✭

    @Maywood said:
    @MFeld said: Well said, Jeremy and I don't understand how someone could say "Going by what's in the listing I don't think there's any deception."

    And I am left with nothing to say except "Caveat Emptor" which has been around since before my time.

    Don't misunderstand me, I'm not trying to defend the seller or excusing anything, but if buyers refuse to read things through and don't except that there's "fine print" in everything and that scams abound, than they can't really be helped. It is a symptom of the current day that everyone is a victim and I just don't accept that premise.

    --- Bad seller for initially misrepresenting something that they very clearly correct farther down in the listing.
    --- Bad buyers, maybe, if they think they're getting something they aren't because they didn't read the complete listing or look at both images posted.
    --- Good buyers, probably, who got exactly what they thought because they read the whole listing.
    --- Bad thread starter for not showing the back of the bar or the listing description.
    --- Bad forum members for piling on the seller and me simply because they don't agree with everything.
    --- Bad me for being the contrarian who expects people in today's world to have some responsibility for their actions.

    I made it quite clear that I still blame the buyers here. Don't for a second believe that I don't think people should be responsible for their actions, but don't think that excuses fraudulent claims. A misleading title can be clarified in the description, and it doesn't make the seller a saint, but it gives a reason to say the buyer should read the whole description. I draw a distinction when the title is a flat-out lie; at that point, the title and description are at odds with each other, not complementary.

    I'll give an example in a coin context. Let's say a seller has a coin in a PCGS Uncirculated Details/Cleaned holder. I'm okay with any of these titles, as long as the description/photos show the holder or call out that the coin is cleaned:

    PCGS Uncirculated
    PCGS Uncirculated Details
    PCGS Uncirculated Details/Cleaned
    PCGS Uncirculated/Cleaned
    PCGS Cleaned

    On the other hand, this title would be a flat-out lie:

    PCGS Uncirculated Problem-Free

    In the "gold bar" example, the title is the last one--it's a title that cannot be clarified with an accurate description, but could only be rendered untrue.

    Just because buyers have personal responsibility doesn't give a seller carte blanche to make any claim no matter how untrue. The worse a seller, the more leeway I'll give the buyer, even if they still hold some level of fault for their situation.

    JK Coin Photography - eBay Consignments | High Quality Photos | LOW Prices | 20% of Consignment Proceeds Go to Pancreatic Cancer Research
  • Options
    Cranium_Basher73Cranium_Basher73 Posts: 2,805 ✭✭✭✭✭

    @logger7 said:
    I'd always look for various clues that what you see may not be what you expect....such as a "tribute" coin, or "covered in 100% pure ****" or priced under the melt value.

    Now that you mentioned it, I haven't seen those commercials in a while.

    "These 'coins' are clad or layered with 50mg of 24k gold!"

    That's 1/16 of a 800mg motrin pill in gold.

    Throw a coin enough times, and suppose one day it lands on its edge.

  • Options
    OnastoneOnastone Posts: 3,786 ✭✭✭✭✭

    Just found one on FB. An ad with an amazing price. They don't even look real.

    $45 and over two thousand sold? Yikes! I wouldn't touch this with a 10 foot pole.

  • Options
    VasantiVasanti Posts: 448 ✭✭✭✭

    Chinese garbage.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Image
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file