Homeβ€Ί U.S. Coin Forum
Options

Good for us.....?

fathomfathom Posts: 1,513 ✭✭✭✭✭
edited March 14, 2023 7:49AM in U.S. Coin Forum

We just nationalized the banks. Effectively putting our entire GDP behind bank deposits. Metals markets and of course bullion coins will benefit. Coin premiums were dropping, now what?

Comments

• Options
    lilolmelilolme Posts: 2,458 ✭✭✭✭✭

https://youtube.com/watch?v=2YNufnS_kf4 - Mama I'm coming home ...................................................................................................................................................................... RLJ 1958 - 2023

• Options
    OAKSTAROAKSTAR Posts: 5,806 ✭✭✭✭✭

@fathom said:
    We just nationalized the banks.

Really? Where did you read this? Who's we?

Disclaimer: I'm not a dealer, trader, grader, investor or professional numismatist. I'm just a hobbyist. (To protect me but mostly you! 🀣 )

• Options
    erscoloerscolo Posts: 493 ✭✭✭✭✭

One cannot fathom the OP. Come to think of it, why would I or anyone else bother?

• Options
    privatecoinprivatecoin Posts: 3,184 ✭✭✭✭✭

@JW77 said:
    The Feds took over Signature Bank over the weekend and closed SVB bank on Friday. There has been somewhat of a run on smaller banks with money flowing into larger banks deemed not to large to fail. Biden just said the $250k limit on insured deposits has been lifted. There was concern about a systematic banking crisis. Gold is also running higher today because of this.

Yep, quite the jump on silver too.

Paper money eventually returns to its intrinsic value. Zero. Voltaire. Ebay coinbowlllc

• Options
    bearcavebearcave Posts: 3,993 ✭✭✭✭✭

πŸ™„

Ken
  • Options
    edited March 13, 2023 1:32PM

@ElmerFusterpuck said:
    Jeez, door #3 was ajar so let's start the political BS and exercise our social media doctorate degrees. Putting the word "coins" in the post doesn't make it on topic.

It's a relevant topic. Metals prices are directly related to the dollar which is directly related to coin premiums, bullion and numismatic. You must have skipped some pertinent classes in school.

You do not like the topic then stick with your thread bros and stay off my thread please.

• Options
    JWPJWP Posts: 17,635 ✭✭✭✭✭

I'm concerned. Are they coming for our little safes too?

USN & USAF retired 1971-1993
    Successful Transactions with more than 100 Members

• Options
    OAKSTAROAKSTAR Posts: 5,806 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited March 13, 2023 2:43PM

@JWP said:

>

No, don't worry about it. You'll be spending or selling your collection for food before that happens! πŸ˜‚ 🀣

Disclaimer: I'm not a dealer, trader, grader, investor or professional numismatist. I'm just a hobbyist. (To protect me but mostly you! 🀣 )

• Options

Actually looking at last weeks Stacks bullion auction the ASE premiums were still pretty high.

So I have no clue what this weeks will be.

• Options
    johnny9434johnny9434 Posts: 27,505 ✭✭✭✭✭

@privatecoin said:

@JW77 said:
    The Feds took over Signature Bank over the weekend and closed SVB bank on Friday. There has been somewhat of a run on smaller banks with money flowing into larger banks deemed not to large to fail. Biden just said the $250k limit on insured deposits has been lifted. There was concern about a systematic banking crisis. Gold is also running higher today because of this.

Yep, quite the jump on silver too.

We all like that part πŸ‘

• Options
    ElmerFusterpuckElmerFusterpuck Posts: 4,627 ✭✭✭✭✭

@fathom said:

@ElmerFusterpuck said:
    Jeez, door #3 was ajar so let's start the political BS and exercise our social media doctorate degrees. Putting the word "coins" in the post doesn't make it on topic.

It's a relevant topic. Metals prices are directly related to the dollar which is directly related to coin premiums, bullion and numismatic. You must have skipped some pertinent classes in school.

You do not like the topic then stick with your thread bros and stay off my thread please.

Skipped classes? Haha. There is a forum called "Precious Metals' and you prominently posted about metals and bullion in the US Coins forum, along with the rambling about nationalizing banks. Maybe I skipped, you didn't even bother to enroll.

As for this thread, yeah I'm not bothering with it anymore. Time is better spent watching mold spores spread.

• Options
    JW77JW77 Posts: 460 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited March 13, 2023 4:43PM

@JWP said:

Holy cow, is that the gold bars the military stole from the Noss family at Victoria Peak. Watch "Gold, Lies and Videotape" on the Discovery Channel if you missed this documentary. It was fascinating!

• Options
    Steven59Steven59 Posts: 8,293 ✭✭✭✭✭

Oh this thread is not going to end well - Bullion experts Eh? I'm still waiting for $5000 an oz for gold that has been shoved into peoples minds since 2007...........I like the way everybody gets so excited and start posting threads when Gold hits over $2000 then you never hear from them again when gold drops back to around the norm of $1800.

"When they can't find anything wrong with you, they create it!"

• Options

Agree the sentiment is always back and forth according to price movement. Current black swan event, the banking crisis feels like an inflection point.

The Fed has completely lost control of the dollar with all of the inflation, monetary tightening and now this. There is so much contradictory advice from the so-called experts that bullion and hard assets look again like a place to park monies IMO.

Bodes well for coins, numismatic and bullion.

• Options
    VasantiVasanti Posts: 448 ✭✭✭✭

@Steven59 said:
    Oh this thread is not going to end well - Bullion experts Eh? I'm still waiting for $5000 an oz for gold that has been shoved into peoples minds since 2007...........I like the way everybody gets so excited and start posting threads when Gold hits over $2000 then you never hear from them again when gold drops back to around the norm of $1800.

It’s really fun when you adjust for inflation and realize that gold prices a below where they were when they peaked in the 1970s.

• Options
    TrampTramp Posts: 652 ✭✭✭✭✭

@JWP said:

Over my dead body. Retired USAF!

• Options
    jmlanzafjmlanzaf Posts: 31,908 ✭✭✭✭✭

@fathom said:
    Agree the sentiment is always back and forth according to price movement. Current black swan event, the banking crisis feels like an inflection point.

The Fed has completely lost control of the dollar with all of the inflation, monetary tightening and now this. There is so much contradictory advice from the so-called experts that bullion and hard assets look again like a place to park monies IMO.

Sure. When food and gas go up 50%, people always buy more coins. Like back in 19?? Could you help me with the date?

• Options

@jmlanzaf said:

@fathom said:

Sure. When food and gas go up 50%, people always buy more coins. Like back in 19?? Could you help me with the date?

1979-81, huge inflation, gigantic run up in metals prices, bull market coins, index from 20K to 40K.

• Options
    GoldFinger1969GoldFinger1969 Posts: 1,302 ✭✭✭✭

It's a nothingburger. Short-term blip.

• Options
    edited March 14, 2023 12:13AM

@fathom said:

@jmlanzaf said:

@fathom said:

1979-81, huge inflation, gigantic run up in metals prices, bull market coins, index from 20K to 40K.

Actually, no. Big run up in metals, not coins. The big run in coins was after inflation was routed during, unsurprisingly, a period of sustained economic growth. The coin market surged in the 1980s and peaked around 1990.

When real disposable income decreases, so does discretionary spending. Only trophy coins of the rich trend to be exempt.

• Options

@fathom said:

@jmlanzaf said:

@fathom said:

You see a large drop from 1979 to 1981

• Options
    dhikewhitneydhikewhitney Posts: 362 ✭✭✭

We all like that part πŸ‘

Unless and until someone thinks he is FDR II, in which case the bullion in private hands can be nationalized β€œfor the greater good” It’s not as if it has not happened before. Gold and silver bullion, and perhaps common coins have some political risk that should be reflected in pricing.

• Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

Well... Inflation, recession, bank failures... Geopolitical conflicts... Cash, ammo, gold, silver, food... Works for me... ;) Cheers, RickO

• Options

This is a coin forum.
    There are LOTs of other places one can go to have these discussions.

This discussion has been closed.