Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

Did the failure of Silicon Valley Bank affect your bids in last nIght's (Sunday's 3/12/20) auctions?

DisneyFanDisneyFan Posts: 1,722 ✭✭✭✭✭
edited March 14, 2023 10:49AM in U.S. Coin Forum

Did the failure of Silicon Valley Bank affect your bids in last nIght's (Sunday's 3/12/20) auctions?

This is a public poll: others will see what you voted for.

Comments

• Options
    ctf_error_coinsctf_error_coins Posts: 15,433 ✭✭✭✭✭
    No

No, I bid high but was still outbid.

• Options
    JWPJWP Posts: 17,743 ✭✭✭✭✭

No, I went to sleep.

USN & USAF retired 1971-1993
    Successful Transactions with more than 100 Members

• Options
    VasantiVasanti Posts: 448 ✭✭✭✭
    Yes

It did for me, but only because I was bidding on high grade common stuff to fill some holes. I think it may be that prices will go down a bit if we start seeing the second and third order effects of the fed’s moves over the past year.

• Options
    TrampTramp Posts: 655 ✭✭✭✭✭

Potentially. However, even if I had bid 90% of the PCGS price guide on the coin that I was interested in last night, I would have still lost the bid.

USAF (Ret.) 1985 - 2005. E-4B Aircraft Maintenance Crew Chief and Contracting Officer.
    My current Registry sets:
    ✓ Everyman Mint State Carson City Morgan Dollars (1878 – 1893)
    ✓ Everyman Mint State Lincoln Cents (1909 – 1958)
    ✓ Morgan Dollar GSA Hoard (1878 – 1891)

• Options
    Dug13Dug13 Posts: 234 ✭✭✭
    No

The coin I bid on last night, went 5 times over price list. The big money is still flowing strong.

Wall of HONOR transaction list:WonderCoin, CoinFlip, Masscrew, Travintiques, lordmarcovan, Jinx86, Gerard, ElKevvo

• Options
    bretsanbretsan Posts: 112 ✭✭✭
    Yes

I got a great coin last night at Greysheet value. There were plenty of bidders and I was surprised to win it.

• Options
    Jzyskowski1Jzyskowski1 Posts: 6,651 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited March 13, 2023 5:00PM
    No

No

Still just watching and learning. The bank seems to have been mostly commercial accounts from tech and there’s about a 180 degree separation between that world and mine. Thankfully

🎶 shout shout, let it all out 🎶

• Options
    SanctionIISanctionII Posts: 11,731 ✭✭✭✭✭

No.

I did not bid on any coins last night.

Further, I believe that everything is ok and that there is no problem (and never will be). I have complete faith and trust in what is communicated by the media and the private sector and public sector leaders. B)

Further, even if a problem does develop, all that means is that there will be new opportunities for persons to participate in (and benefit from) as society moves forward towards a bright, glorious and eternally happy future.

It happened in the downturn of the early 1990s when the cold war ended after the collapse of the Soviet Union. It happened after the dot.com bubble burst in the 1999-early 2000s. It happened after the 2009 subprime mortgage meltdown. It may be happening again as I type this reply. It will likely happen multiple additional times before I feed the worms.

• Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

No... Well, I was not bidding... If I were bidding, the bank issue would not have been a factor. Cheers, RickO

• Options
    mirabelamirabela Posts: 4,970 ✭✭✭✭✭

I have no idea whether anybody's nervousness about banking had anything to do with it, but I won two auctions on Sunday night at prices that felt a little soft to me -- one I expected to win but it closed about 10% shy of my max bid, and the other I truly didn't think I would. It feels to me like the coin might have slipped through the cracks, so to speak. If I were the seller I'd have been disappointed.

mirabela
  • Options
    dbldie55dbldie55 Posts: 7,719 ✭✭✭✭✭

There is no option of not having anything to bid on.

Collector and Researcher of Liberty Head Nickels. ANA LM-6053
  • Options
    erscoloerscolo Posts: 499 ✭✭✭✭✭

No, I did not bid, nor even know the auction was happening.

• Options
    PCGS_ModeratorPCGS_Moderator Posts: 218 mod
    edited March 14, 2023 10:52AM

US Coins

is not the same as

"banks" in the news.

This discussion has been closed.