Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

Bust quarter surfaces

[Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 0
edited March 12, 2023 5:21PM in U.S. Coin Forum

What's your thoughts on the originality of this coins surfaces?
Edited to add if anyone knows the Browning number that would be helpful.
Thank you

Comments

• Options
    NumisOxideNumisOxide Posts: 10,989 ✭✭✭✭✭

Might be just the pics but the obverse looks like it has environmental damage, cleaned, retoned. Possible detector find.

• Options
    pocketpiececommemspocketpiececommems Posts: 5,741 ✭✭✭✭✭

It looks like it’s been in a fire to me

• Options

@NumisOxide said:
    Might be just the pics but the obverse looks like it has environmental damage, cleaned, retoned. Possible detector find.

I can see why you would think that but the surfaces are smooth. Not pited or course. It's got a lot of color when moved around in the light.

• Options

@Watchtower said:

@NumisOxide said:

I can see why you would think that but the surfaces are smooth. Not pited or course. It's got a lot of color when moved around in the light.

Can you take a few more pics or video? You said you're using a cellphone, I know it's hard to get good pics.

• Options

Sure I can do that. Let me run up to my gun safe and pull the coin out.
    Just a few minutes

• Options
    edited March 12, 2023 6:09PM

Here are some images of it lying flat. When this coin is moved in the light it really does explode with color.

• Options

It just kind of occurred to me that this looks like tarnish. I mean in the final stage of tarnishing it's black ultimately.
    Just something to be considered I suppose. It dies have awesome color when moved.

• Options
    MFeldMFeld Posts: 12,036 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Watchtower said:
    It just kind of occurred to me that this looks like tarnish. I mean in the final stage of tarnishing it's black ultimately.
    Just something to be considered I suppose. It dies have awesome color when moved.

The “awesome color” looks blatantly artificial.

Mark Feld* of Heritage Auctions*Unless otherwise noted, my posts here represent my personal opinions.

• Options
    fluffy155fluffy155 Posts: 229 ✭✭✭✭

All I can say about the quarter is it looks odd, like it has a coating of some foreign substance. It may be the photograph but that's what it looks like. Whatever it is it's not an original surface, as there should be quite a bit of luster in the protected areas for that much detail but there is none visible at all.

As an aside, if your gun safe includes ammunition you may not want to store coins inside. Silver and copper stored with ammunition can discolor fairly rapidly depending on humidity and temperature.

• Options

Mun gun safe is for my guns, coins and my wife's property.
    My ammunition safe is for my ammunition. This is definitely good information for anyone to know I totally agree.

• Options
    logger7logger7 Posts: 8,077 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited March 13, 2023 4:44AM

A lot of thick schmutz on the surfaces, I'd check out auction records or PCGS coin facts for what they should look like.

• Options
    Walkerguy21DWalkerguy21D Posts: 11,147 ✭✭✭✭✭

@MFeld said:

@Watchtower said:

I was wondering if it was given the @ricko egg yoke treatment and left for too long 😉

Successful BST transactions with 170 members. Recent: Tonedeaf, Shane6596, Piano1, Ikenefic, RG, PCGSPhoto, stman, Don'tTelltheWife, Boosibri, Ron1968, snowequities, VTchaser, jrt103, SurfinxHI, 78saen, bp777, FHC, RYK, JTHawaii, Opportunity, Kliao, bigtime36, skanderbeg, split37, thebigeng, acloco, Toninginthblood, OKCC, braddick, Coinflip, robcool, fastfreddie, tightbudget, DBSTrader2, nickelsciolist, relaxn, Eagle eye, soldi, silverman68, ElKevvo, sawyerjosh, Schmitz7, talkingwalnut2, konsole, sharkman987, sniocsu, comma, jesbroken, David1234, biosolar, Sullykerry, Moldnut, erwindoc, MichaelDixon, GotTheBug
  • Options

The new pics are better but the obverse still has an odd look. Definitely cleaned-retoned. Nice detail though.

• Options

I have a type set of the half, quarter, dime and half dime.
    It's time to sell or trade them away. I just want to be honest when I do something with my coins.
    I don't want to be someone who chases of a collector by deception and lies for the sake of profit.
    Experience has taught me these things.
    Honesty can sometimes be a real slap in the face. It stings for a moment but a man can live with it. It's the dishonest man who deals out the slap in the face and can live with it that I prefer to avoid.

• Options
    pursuitoflibertypursuitofliberty Posts: 6,592 ✭✭✭✭✭

Did anyone ever give you the Browning #? It's a B-1

Looks like it is near terminal, possibly an overdone baked potato job

“We are only their care-takers,” he posed, “if we take good care of them, then centuries from now they may still be here … ”

Todd - BHNC #242
  • Options
    jmlanzafjmlanzaf Posts: 31,880 ✭✭✭✭✭

@MFeld said:

@Watchtower said:

Artificial or environmental?

• Options
    MFeldMFeld Posts: 12,036 ✭✭✭✭✭

@jmlanzaf said:

@MFeld said:

@Watchtower said:

Artificial or environmental?

Would you settle on "unnatural" or "market unacceptable"?

Mark Feld* of Heritage Auctions*Unless otherwise noted, my posts here represent my personal opinions.

• Options
    edited March 13, 2023 4:12AM

I'm going to see a friend today and dip it off. I think it would have more appeal that way. Someone needs to male a decision on this. I own it so it might as well be me.
    Would anyone like to see the after images?

• Options
    TomBTomB Posts: 20,729 ✭✭✭✭✭

It must be your images because I often have a devilishly hard time interpreting the coins you post, but the coin appears to have micro-porosity on the surfaces and I don't think the toning is a positive attribute on this piece. However, your fingers don't appear to have environmental damage on them, so perhaps it is the coin. Regardless, if you dip a nearly two-century old, circulated quarter with a possibly thick coating of something on it then you will end up with any surface issues more likely to "pop", have a coin someone can tell from across the room has been doctored (altered, dipped, artificially whitened...whatever term you choose) and might emerge as stained or spotted and with a tendency for splotchy retoning if not rinsed thoroughly.

I don't know that you need to "fix" issues on the coins you have purchased prior to sale. Just provide good images, an honest description and a fair return policy.

Thomas Bush Numismatics & Numismatic Photography

In honor of the memory of Cpl. Michael E. Thompson

• Options
    edited March 13, 2023 1:21PM

Thanks Tom.
    I'm just going to leave well enough alone.
    I mean that in more ways than one.
    I know I have embarrassed myself more than once by posting coins I bought before I started buying slabbed coins. I know that asking for advice seems to bring me more embarrasment.
    I can still enjoy the hobby and I will still lurk.
    I do it to myself. I always do.
    I'm trying to find a hobby that fits and can bring a little pleasure to my newly recovered life.
    I seem to find more downside than upside here.
    I blame myself and nobody else.
    Life doesn't work well with denial and blame.
    I have a friend who sells on ebay for a living. I'm just going to give him everything and let him sell it off.
    I'll find something that I can do.
    Happy collecting and thank you.

• Options
    bagofnickelsbagofnickels Posts: 349 ✭✭✭✭

@Watchtower said:
    Thanks Tom.
    I'm just going to leave well enough alone.
    I mean that in more ways than one.
    I know I have embarrassed myself more than once by posting coins I bought before I started buying slabbed coins. I know that asking for advice seems to bring me more embarrasment.
    I can still enjoy the hobby and I will still lurk.
    I do it to myself. I always do.
    I'm trying to find a hobby that fits and can bring a little pleasure to my newly recovered life.
    I seem to find more downside than upside here.
    I blame myself and nobody else.
    Life doesn't work well with denial and blame.
    I have a friend who sells on ebay for a living. I'm just going to give him everything and let him sell it off.
    I'll find something that I can do.
    Happy collecting and thank you.

I for one thank you for posting these questions. I learn from your posts and as a novice who has posted at least a few times here and felt that tinge of embarrassment after hearing expert opinions, don't let it get you down. This is a hobby with a steep learning curve and it is better to ask the questions and learn while enduring the potential embarrassment than to burn your money on repeated bad purchases.

• Options
    DeplorableDanDeplorableDan Posts: 2,533 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Watchtower, If I were you I would pick yourself up, and dust yourself off. Theres no need to wallow in self pity and feel embarrassed. You're a novice, and it's ok not to know everything. With the comment above mine being evidence of this, your'e actually helping people every time you post a thread like this. For every 1 contributing member, there may be 10 lurkers and hundreds of others that will read these threads in the future. That is why we're always very candid about the coins posted here. If people congratulated you on buying artificially toned coins, a future reader of the thread might see that and think he should find an example that looks like that.

Very simply put, you do not have enough experience to be buying raw coins on the internet. One of the first recommendations made when you joined was that you stick with certified examples, for now. When you have a better understanding of how to assess a coin from images, then you can spread your wings a little bit and see how you fare. This hobby does have a steep learning curve, but it becomes so much more rewarding if you can be confident in your abilities. You will learn much more by comparing and buying coins that are already graded, and as someone else mentioned, going to a show is a great way to do that. Don't give up. :)

• Options
    kazkaz Posts: 9,067 ✭✭✭✭✭

Watchtower, I appreciate your honesty and wish you well in whatever hobby you choose to enjoy. Don't be too hard on yourself!

• Options
    RLSnapperRLSnapper Posts: 516 ✭✭✭✭✭

This is a tough room. I tried stand up comedy for a while....5 minutes at open mike night felt like 5 days when you flop and are heckled. I will take a little anonymous embarrassment in this forum over that any day.

• Options
    dsessomdsessom Posts: 2,212 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Watchtower I have gotten a few bloody noses here on the boards, but overall, I believe the people here are genuinely good folks. Please don't let failures get you down. We all have them. I try to see my goofs as learning opportunities. They are sometimes a little expensive, but I do learn and the people here are very helpful. Yes, we sometimes get a little obnoxious, but I would encourage you to stick with the hobby. Collect what you love. Collect what brings you joy.

I wish you the best in whatever you do.

• Options
    Shane6596Shane6596 Posts: 759 ✭✭✭✭✭

Don't throw in the towel bud! I read all of your threads, lots of good info is shared in them by many here.

I got the beatdown by some members a couple times in my threads because i dont know what the heck im doing. Im scattered and buy raw coins and slabbed.

I think you and i joined around the same time and have asked many questions. Helpful to us and to many that just lurk.

Its a long haul learning so much info, gonna take years.

I say stick with it, buy the coins you like and have fun.

I do enjoy it when i get a new coin in the mail or elsewhere. It perks me up and im sure you feel the same.

Shane

Successful BST transactions with....Coinslave87, ChrisH821, Walkerguy21D, SanctionII.......................Received "You Suck" award 02/18/23

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file