Basebal21Basebal21 Posts: 2,293 ✭✭✭✭

@spacehayduke said:

@doubledragon said:
    The Final Four is set!

5 Miami
    4 UConn

9 FL Atlantic
    5 San Diego St.

Perfect outcome, shows that heart and coaching matters over big money into the programs........

Uconn and Miami both has significant transfers come in. All the teams had transfers come in. SDSU also has a couple very old seniors from the extra covid year

None of these teams would be here if transfers werent allowed

• Options
    spacehaydukespacehayduke Posts: 5,482 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Basebal21 said:
    None of these teams would be here if transfers werent allowed.

Not sure what you point is here. Transfers are allowed and these teams capitalized. So? They are there, Alabama, UH, Kansas, Purdue, all of the #1s, are not. So? Again, don't see your point.

Successful transactions with-Boosibri,lkeigwin,TomB,Broadstruck,coinsarefun,Type2,jom,ProfLiz, UltraHighRelief,Barndog,EXOJUNKIE,ldhair,fivecents,paesan,Crusty...
  • Options

@spacehayduke said:

@Basebal21 said:
    None of these teams would be here if transfers werent allowed.

Not sure what you point is here. Transfers are allowed and these teams capitalized. So? They are there, Alabama, UH, Kansas, Purdue, all of the #1s, are not. So? Again, don't see your point.

More so just that heart and coaching didnt overcome it like they were huge underdogs despite their rankings. The Vegas lines were close in all of them and in some cases favorites. Some coaches are certainly better than others for sure. The transfer portal which their coaches did a great job in got them to the point. Larranga getting Mason to the final 4 was a big underdog story (though even they had a stud transfer to Louisville and win tournament MVP), talents a lot closer this year for everyone with the rosters that have been assembled.

Transfer portal has had a massive impact on this tournament and all 4 of these teams benefited greatly from it

• Options
    MartinMartin Posts: 845 ✭✭✭✭✭

I think going forward the vast majority of final 4 teams will greatly benefit from the portal. Gonzaga has done it for years on a
    Lessor extent. Seems for the last 5 to six years they picked up a quality transfer. Most had to sit a year before playing but they seemed
    To fill a need with an experienced player. NIL money is going to change the way recruiting is played I do see a formula where as smaller schools that can recruit low 4 and high 3 stars keep them in the program forever may star to see some success in the tournament

I know NIL will keep Some
    People in college longer. It will also keep them team jumping giving some hope for 4’year teams to jell and develop as a team.

At least I hope anyway
    I don’t like the idea of luring college players from team to team for
    Money

That being said if I were in some of those kids shoes I’d be looking for the early payday too

Martim

• Options
    BillJonesBillJones Posts: 33,488 ✭✭✭✭✭

I didn’t care for the end of the San Diego State - Creighton game. A ticky-tack foul, that would not have called in the middle of the half, puts a guy on the line for two shots with one second to play. I am not a fan of games that are determined by the zebras.

Retired dealer and avid collector of U.S. type coins, 19th century presidential campaign medalets and selected medals. In recent years I have been working on a set of British coins - at least one coin from each king or queen who issued pieces that are collectible. I am also collecting at least one coin for each Roman emperor from Julius Caesar to ... ?
  • Options

@BillJones said:
    I didn’t care for the end of the San Diego State - Creighton game. A ticky-tack foul, that would not have called in the middle of the half, puts a guy on the line for two shots with one second to play. I am not a fan of games that are determined by the zebras.

The tournament and college basketball in general has had an officiating problem all year. Realistically all sports have an officiating problem at the moment. Too many officials out there that think the fans came to watch them and are actively looking to make a call that will have a big impact instead of looking to let the players play

• Options
    SanctionIISanctionII Posts: 11,736 ✭✭✭✭✭

How about changing the rules.

In pick up basketball there are no referees, There is an honor system. If a player is fouled during a game, that player has the authority to "call the foul". Once the player "calls the foul", that call is supposed to be honored by the other players on the court.

In general this honor system does work out well, provided that the players on the court conduct themselves responsibly with personal integrity [one simply does not "call the foul" when one has not actually been fouled]. Of course, some players lack personal integrity and choose to abuse the honor system by "calling the foul" whenever a play turns out bad for that person (this is evident when such a player constantly "calls the foul" when there is minimal contact or no contact by an opposing player on him; while adamantly opposing the same type of "call the foul" when he is the one another player claims committed the foul.

The history of pick up basketball proves that "Self policing" can and does work out well; again provided that the players conduct themselves with personal integrity.

However, I doubt that professional, college, high school, AAU and other organized basketball would ever choose to not use referees and instead install the honor system.

• Options
    BullsitterBullsitter Posts: 5,343 ✭✭✭✭✭

NIT Final tonight.

• Options
    spacehaydukespacehayduke Posts: 5,482 ✭✭✭✭✭

@BillJones said:

Hate to say this Bill, but college BB is full of these stories of questionable calls by refs. It is a bummer for sure, but the refs also have a tough job and everyone knows going in what the deal is. It will always be a tough deal for sure.

Successful transactions with-Boosibri,lkeigwin,TomB,Broadstruck,coinsarefun,Type2,jom,ProfLiz, UltraHighRelief,Barndog,EXOJUNKIE,ldhair,fivecents,paesan,Crusty...
  • Options
    BillJonesBillJones Posts: 33,488 ✭✭✭✭✭

@spacehayduke said:

@BillJones said:

Hate to say this Bill, but college BB is full of these stories of questionable calls by refs. It is a bummer for sure, but the refs also have a tough job and everyone knows going in what the deal is. It will always be a tough deal for sure.

Yes, but in that case, letting the game go into overtime was the thing to do. San Diego State probably would have won it because they had a much deeper bench. The Creighton guys looked like they were getting gassed. Still that would have been better than ending it on the foul line.

Retired dealer and avid collector of U.S. type coins, 19th century presidential campaign medalets and selected medals. In recent years I have been working on a set of British coins - at least one coin from each king or queen who issued pieces that are collectible. I am also collecting at least one coin for each Roman emperor from Julius Caesar to ... ?
  • Options
    doubledragondoubledragon Posts: 23,079 ✭✭✭✭✭

San Diego St. advances to the national championship game with this buzzer beater, it doesn't get any better than this!

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=FTjaDD3AO1Q

• Options
    Steven59Steven59 Posts: 8,294 ✭✭✭✭✭

it doesn't get any better than this!

I'm guessing it won't as UCONN looks pretty damn good to win it all.

"When they can't find anything wrong with you, they create it!"

• Options
    doubledragondoubledragon Posts: 23,079 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Steven59 said:

it doesn't get any better than this!

I'm guessing it won't as UCONN looks pretty damn good to win it all.

Pretty good tournament this year, that's what I love about it, the season essentially starts over once the tournament begins and anybody can make a run.

• Options
    Steven59Steven59 Posts: 8,294 ✭✭✭✭✭

So UCONN easily wins by 18 tonight - or do the Refs take over the game AGAIN?

"When they can't find anything wrong with you, they create it!"

• Options
    MartinMartin Posts: 845 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Steven59 nice call refs
    Let them play. Almost had too after yesterday’s fiasco

UCon very balanced and deep team

Martin

• Options
    erikthredderikthredd Posts: 8,272 ✭✭✭✭✭

Hats off to UConn for winning their 5th Final Four in history. Their Men's & Women's basketball programs have been top notch for a long time.