"When they can't find anything wrong with you, they create it!"

• Options
    Steven59Steven59 Posts: 8,294 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited March 18, 2023 7:02PM

Penn State leads - 4 mins left.

• Options
    doubledragondoubledragon Posts: 23,034 ✭✭✭✭✭

It's going to be interesting to see if Alabama and Houston end up playing eachother for the national championship, according to the oddsmakers they were both the top two favored teams to win it all, could they be on a collision course? We shall see!

• Options
    BullsitterBullsitter Posts: 5,340 ✭✭✭✭✭

@doubledragon said:
    It's going to be interesting to see if Alabama and Houston end up playing eachother for the national championship, according to the oddsmakers they were both the top two favored teams to win it all, could they be on a collision course? We shall see!

Bama beat them during the regular season in Texas. It would be a tall task to beat them twice.

• Options
    2dueces2dueces Posts: 6,252 ✭✭✭✭✭

So we have 64 teams playing pick up basketball games with 19 year old kids, seniors that can barely play and teams that have been together a few months. The pick up teams in the Bronx would destroy every team in college basketball. Why? Because the NBA killed good college basketball a long time ago. One and done has robbed the talent cohesiveness of teams playing 3-4 years together. I watched Texas for a few minutes. It was 11-9, teams were a combined 9-32 after 10 minutes. 16 seeds beating 1 seeds? What a joke.

W.C.Fields
    "I spent 50% of my money on alcohol, women, and gambling. The other half I wasted.
  • Options

• Options

Way to go Xavier! And a shout out to Michigan State! Sweet 16 here they come.......

• Options
    EstilEstil Posts: 6,922 ✭✭✭✭

So we don't make it out of the first weekend (what a shock...). But I guess that's just dandy with our fearless leader as long as few more of our freshmen go to the NBA :pensive:

I really miss the old days when our players would actually stay 3-4 years. How are they supposed to become legends of UK folklore if they just bail on us after just one year...and half the time (seemingly) they're only marginally qualified for the NBA at best.

WISHLIST
    Dimes: 54S, 53P, 50P, 49S, 45D+S, 44S, 43D, 41S, 40D+S, 39D+S, 38D+S, 37D+S, 36S, 35D+S, all 16-34's
    Quarters: 52S, 47S, 46S, 40S, 39S, 38S, 37D+S, 36D+S, 35D, 34D, 32D+S
    74 Topps: 37,38,46,47,48,138,151,193,210,214,223,241,256,264,268,277,289,316,435,552,570,577,592,602,610,654,655
    1997 Finest silver: 115, 135, 139, 145, 310
    1995 Ultra Gold Medallion Sets: Golden Prospects, HR Kings, On-Base Leaders, Power Plus, RBI Kings, Rising Stars
  • Options
    SanctionIISanctionII Posts: 11,731 ✭✭✭✭✭

The quality of play in D-1 basketball has dropped off significantly due to players leaving for the NBA after one year.

Some of the NCAA tournament games are unwatchable.

• Options
    Basebal21Basebal21 Posts: 2,279 ✭✭✭✭

@SanctionII said:
    The quality of play in D-1 basketball has dropped off significantly due to players leaving for the NBA after one year.

Some of the NCAA tournament games are unwatchable.

How would a rule thats been in place for almost two decades and forces players to go to college that would have otherwise gone pro cause a recent drop off?

• Options

Sweet Sixteen.... :#

• Options
    coinkatcoinkat Posts: 22,795 ✭✭✭✭✭

The Big Ten... now known as The Big Flop...has hit rock bottom.

Experience the World through Numismatics...it's more than you can imagine.

• Options

@coinkat said:

To be fair that happened years ago, theyre just very good at getting TV deals with a wide market

• Options
    JolleyWrencherJolleyWrencher Posts: 605 ✭✭✭

@Basebal21 said:

@coinkat said:

To be fair that happened years ago, theyre just very good at getting TV deals with a wide market

Nailed it. Fans travel for lame college football bowls and basketball sells out in almost every game for most teams when football season is over.

• Options

I think I see this alittle differently... The Big Ten has decent history of getting a team into the final four. This year, there was more parity in the conference that I have seen as of late. Seems there is parity elsewhere and this was simply not a great showing for the Conference.

• Options

@coinkat said:
    I think I see this alittle differently... The Big Ten has decent history of getting a team into the final four. This year, there was more parity in the conference that I have seen as of late. Seems there is parity elsewhere and this was simply not a great showing for the Conference.

The transfer portal has prevented teams from just stacking talent like the old days. If a star doesnt play they leave for somewhere else where they will. Some teams/coaches have adjusted better and learned to use it to their advantage

• Options
    Alfonz24Alfonz24 Posts: 3,057 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Basebal21 said:

@coinkat said:

The transfer portal has prevented teams from just stacking talent like the old days. If a star doesnt play they leave for somewhere else where they will. Some teams/coaches have adjusted better and learned to use it to their advantage

And NIL has eliminated the bluebloods "secret funds".

#LetsGoSwitzerlandThe Man Who Does Not Read Has No Advantage Over the Man Who Cannot Read. The biggest obstacle to progress is a habit of “buying what we want and begging for what we need.”You get the Freedom you fight for and get the Oppression you deserve.
  • Options

@Alfonz24 said:

@Basebal21 said:

@coinkat said:

Also very true. Its a much more even playing field where coaches are going to have to actually work to recruit now

• Options
    Alfonz24Alfonz24 Posts: 3,057 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited March 21, 2023 3:38PM

@Basebal21 said:

@Alfonz24 said:

@Basebal21 said:

@coinkat said:

Also very true. Its a much more even playing field where coaches are going to have to actually work to recruit now

The transfers and NIL have soured some of the coaching greats. recruiting is a totally new animal as not only you have to recruit new players, but also keep your current players. And the the recruiting of the NIL moneymen.

Is this the reason Coach K and Jay Wright have left?

#LetsGoSwitzerlandThe Man Who Does Not Read Has No Advantage Over the Man Who Cannot Read. The biggest obstacle to progress is a habit of “buying what we want and begging for what we need.”You get the Freedom you fight for and get the Oppression you deserve.
  • Options

@Alfonz24 said:

@Basebal21 said:

@Alfonz24 said:

@Basebal21 said:

@coinkat said:

The transfers and NIL have soured some of the coaching greats. recruiting is a totally new animal as not only you have to recruit new players, but also keep your current players. And the the recruiting of the NIL moneymen.

Is this the reason Coach K and Jay Wright have left?

It probably played a role. I dont have the least bit of sympathy though for these long time coaches complaining about it. Theyve had countless players come through that they forced to ride the bench for depth and wouldnt allow them to transfer to pursue an opportunity. Coach K was old but Duke was one of the biggest offenders for corrupt programs with fake classes to stack one and dones etc. Basketball is the easiest from a coaching standpoint as far as roster management since guys can go to the draft after one season. You dont really need to worry about retaining your superstuds in the same way you do with football or baseball where they have to be there 3 years or turn 21.

If you win the money will flow in. If you dont win they will probably try and hijack the program and possibly try and get you fired. The old my way or the high way I own you style coaching that was so prevalent for so long really isnt going to work anymore. Either the coach adapts or retiring would be their best move to save their legacy instead of floundering before getting fired

• Options
    spacehaydukespacehayduke Posts: 5,476 ✭✭✭✭✭

@galaxy27 said:

@Steven59 said:

2nd upset of the day - #15 Princeton 59 / #2 Arizona 55

Arizona didn't score a single point in the last 4:45 of that game

unreal

No. Pathetic. And they get a free education for that, LOL...........

Successful transactions with-Boosibri,lkeigwin,TomB,Broadstruck,coinsarefun,Type2,jom,ProfLiz, UltraHighRelief,Barndog,EXOJUNKIE,ldhair,fivecents,paesan,Crusty...
  • Options

@Steven59 said:

1 Houston advances Big Time.

As UH was my employer until retirement, have to root for them even tho' the athletic dept. had $25 million or so in cost over-runs each year while I was slaving away helping students. And despite that, our pres seems to think this is important rather than putting these funds into education of the other 45,000 students. Ouch.

Successful transactions with-Boosibri,lkeigwin,TomB,Broadstruck,coinsarefun,Type2,jom,ProfLiz, UltraHighRelief,Barndog,EXOJUNKIE,ldhair,fivecents,paesan,Crusty...
  • Options

Years ago I had a friend that was a Prof at UH- Not sure whether he is even there still. He was quite knowledgeable in Baseball history

• Options

@coinkat said:
    Years ago I had a friend that was a Prof at UH- Not sure whether he is even there still. He was quite knowledgeable in Baseball history

Was your friend a U-Kansas grad/Lawrence native? One of my ex-colleagues was a very big baseball fan..............

• Options
    SanctionIISanctionII Posts: 11,731 ✭✭✭✭✭

Basbal21.

There is nothing "recent" about the drop off in the quality of the play in D-1 Basketball. The drop off has been happening for decades.

What is happening in some D-1 Sports (including hoops) is that the historically top flight college programs are no longer able to attract [and keep] the best of the best talent coming out of high school. As a result some of these college programs are having less success on the field because talent (which previously had been stock piled) is more willing and able to play elsewhere.

In basketball "one and done" has been in place for years and has seen 18 year olds with NBA potential playing in college only one year (or skipping college and playing one year overseas or on pro development teams). The transfer portal and the NIL system allows for top talent who cannot get off of the bench at Kentucky, Kansas, etc. opt to change schools.

Parity in D-1 hoops manifests itself in the national tournament when lower seeds (#16 and #15, win first round match ups against #1 and #2 seeds, etc.) [this now happens with more frequency]. The talent pools in D-1 is spread out across more teams than in the past.

However, many players from more and more teams stick around for 1 year, only to be replaced with a new crop of freshmen. In general, continuity from having the same players on your team for 3-4 years and having a better quality of team play (on offense and on defense) is less now than it was in years past.

This shows up on TV screens and in arenas when games are played (resulting in half time scores of 28 to 23, final scores of 60 to 53, shooting percentages in the 20% range (from 2 and from 3), three point shooting contests and ISO ball. Not pretty to watch, IMO.

• Options

@SanctionII said:
    Basbal21.

There is nothing "recent" about the drop off in the quality of the play in D-1 Basketball. The drop off has been happening for decades.

What is happening in some D-1 Sports (including hoops) is that the historically top flight college programs are no longer able to attract [and keep] the best of the best talent coming out of high school. As a result some of these college programs are having less success on the field because talent (which previously had been stock piled) is more willing and able to play elsewhere.

In basketball "one and done" has been in place for years and has seen 18 year olds with NBA potential playing in college only one year (or skipping college and playing one year overseas or on pro development teams). The transfer portal and the NIL system allows for top talent who cannot get off of the bench at Kentucky, Kansas, etc. opt to change schools.

Parity in D-1 hoops manifests itself in the national tournament when lower seeds (#16 and #15, win first round match ups against #1 and #2 seeds, etc.) [this now happens with more frequency]. The talent pools in D-1 is spread out across more teams than in the past.

However, many players from more and more teams stick around for 1 year, only to be replaced with a new crop of freshmen. In general, continuity from having the same players on your team for 3-4 years and having a better quality of team play (on offense and on defense) is less now than it was in years past.

This shows up on TV screens and in arenas when games are played (resulting in half time scores of 28 to 23, final scores of 60 to 53, shooting percentages in the 20% range (from 2 and from 3), three point shooting contests and ISO ball. Not pretty to watch, IMO.

Realistically though the spreading of the talent makes a better product than the first round being a waste of everyones time or having a Duke just stack talent on the bench that doesnt see the floor.

Obviously the Purdue loss just happened but thats only the second time in history a 16 has beat a 1. We shouldnt look into that too much as its a fluke whenever it happens. Theres a good argument that Purdue shouldnt have been a 1 in the first place. Going off Princeton making a run, weve seen that before every now and then like George Mason making the final four.

Even with the talent more spread out there is something to be said that the rankings committee is just getting it wrong on some teams. Either way though more parody is better than going into it knowing theres only like 3 maybe 4 teams that could win it.

• Options

@spacehayduke

No... LSU

• Options
    DarinDarin Posts: 6,327 ✭✭✭✭✭

Baylor
    Kansas
    K- State or Texas

Will it be a three peat for the
    best basketball conference?

• Options

@Darin said:
    Baylor
    Kansas
    K- State or Texas

Will it be a three peat for the
    best basketball conference?

That Kansas State game last night was awesome, near the end of the game Markquis Nowell was bringing the ball back over halfcourt and he was looking over at the coach and pretending to argue and all of a sudden he fires up a no look alley oop, that was most ridiculous thing I've seen in this tournament, it made national headlines!

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.sbnation.com/platform/amp/college-basketball/2023/3/23/23654410/markquis-nowell-alley-oop-video-kansas-state-march-madness-sweet-16

• Options

Here it is, the video of the alley oop, completely faked out Michigan State.

• Options

DD, I go with A...great game and play.

• Options

@Bullsitter said:
    DD, I go with A...great game and play.

I'll second that! 🖒

• Options

Geez, Alabama just went down and now it looks like Houston might go down as well.

• Options

Down goes Houston, no number 1 seeds will reach the elite eight.

• Options
    perkdogperkdog Posts: 29,524 ✭✭✭✭✭

Houston and Alabama both get bounced

Madness!!!!!

• Options
    MaywoodMaywood Posts: 1,901 ✭✭✭✭✭

Two 3's, two 5's, a 6, a 9, a 4 and a 2 left, that's what makes this tournament so good: teams from the middle of the pack always have a chance and a little team like "Gonzaga" can compete against the money powerhouses from the east.

• Options
    edited March 25, 2023 6:16AM

SD State kicked our fanny and made us like it.... :'(
    Disappointed in the way we played, give 'em credit, SDS played hard on defense.

UConn vs Gonzaga today, should be a good game.

• Options
    perkdogperkdog Posts: 29,524 ✭✭✭✭✭

Is anyone thinking FAU can shock the world and win it all?

• Options

Good to see the future Pac-12 institution San Diego State in the elite 8. Good to the Pac-12 traitors, UCLAW and mew-ess-see go down in flames, over-rated as usual.

Rant time. Houston choked, all of that money and emphasis on sport at UH, the cost over-runs in the millions and funding taken from educational areas to give to the sporties, and they choke. In the one year where the finals are in town, they are the hosts, and ranked #1, and they choke. Can't be more denigrating of my past employer than to say if it is broken, it needs to be fixed and it is....................

Sampson should be fired and sued to pay back his salary this year, and the Pres should resign and give back her >$1.5 million in yearly compensation (6th highest paid pres in a state university in the US, yet not even a top 100 ranked university in academics). The are both wasting money better spent on education at UH. ACK! THBBFT!!!

• Options

So far a pretty good game between FAU - K State. I cut the cable a year ago but ran across this website that gives you a 3 hour FREE preview and they are showing the game - 3 hours is enough to watch the entire game.

https://www.ncaa.com/march-madness-live/game/502?cid=mml_partner_google_game&ko_click_id=ko_pp5bgo5n5kc1k730t

• Options

@doubledragon said:

Would have been nice but alas we shall NOT see - B)

• Options

Great game - Congrats to FAU!

• Options

Great!
    Gonzaga Flops and FAU Flaps its wings!!!!!!!!

• Options

The Final Four is set!

5 Miami
    4 UConn

9 FL Atlantic
    5 San Diego St.

• Options

Could we all agree that NIL and transfer portal has really opened things up in college basketball now which is a good thing overall

• Options
    thisistheshowthisistheshow Posts: 9,386 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Basebal21 said:
    Could we all agree that NIL and transfer portal has really opened things up in college basketball now which is a good thing overall

Might be a good thread topic , maybe with a poll attached. Seriously. It could keep us busy. 😂🏈

• Options
    DarinDarin Posts: 6,327 ✭✭✭✭✭

@spacehayduke said:
    Good to see the future Pac-12 institution San Diego State in the elite 8. Good to the Pac-12 traitors, UCLAW and mew-ess-see go down in flames, over-rated as usual.

Rant time. Houston choked, all of that money and emphasis on sport at UH, the cost over-runs in the millions and funding taken from educational areas to give to the sporties, and they choke. In the one year where the finals are in town, they are the hosts, and ranked #1, and they choke. Can't be more denigrating of my past employer than to say if it is broken, it needs to be fixed and it is....................

Sampson should be fired and sued to pay back his salary this year, and the Pres should resign and give back her >$1.5 million in yearly compensation (6th highest paid pres in a state university in the US, yet not even a top 100 ranked university in academics). The are both wasting money better spent on education at UH. ACK! THBBFT!!!

Was that ending an ode to Bill the cat? Well done! 😹

• Options
    BrickBrick Posts: 4,938 ✭✭✭✭✭

Dang! I forgot to send my picks in. I bet I'm the only person in America who correctly picked the final four.

Collecting 1960 Topps Baseball in PSA 8
    http://www.unisquare.com/store/brick/

Ralph

• Options

@doubledragon said:
    The Final Four is set!

5 Miami
    4 UConn

9 FL Atlantic
    5 San Diego St.

Perfect outcome, shows that heart and coaching matters over big money into the programs........

• Options

@Darin said:

Was that ending an ode to Bill the cat? Well done! 😹

yes.........