Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

Whitman Lincoln #2 (winner posted)

JW77JW77 Posts: 460 ✭✭✭✭✭
edited March 13, 2023 7:14AM in U.S. Coin Forum

The pics below is what is left of my boyhood coin collecting. I just found it in the bottom of a bin that I just cleaned out from a move from a few years ago. Didn't even know I had it. I was 7-10 years old in the late 60s. The shiny red ones were probably from bank rolls. The older dates would of been found at coins shows with my parents. Although it was a nice memory I really have no interest in saving these. I assume there is not much value(I'm sure my 10 yr old fingerprints are on every coin), but wondering if any penny collectors would have an interest as a give-a-way. Now if there are any 4 figure gems in here maybe you can return the favor with a 50/50 split! :) If there is an interest I will explain the raffle rules in the next post.

Comments

• Options
    FrazFraz Posts: 1,838 ✭✭✭✭✭

Thanks for the gesture; what’s your plan?

• Options
    BillJonesBillJones Posts: 33,481 ✭✭✭✭✭

I have something similar except that it is complete up to the mid 1960s, and it has now come to pieces in the folding areas.

Retired dealer and avid collector of U.S. type coins, 19th century presidential campaign medalets and selected medals. In recent years I have been working on a set of British coins - at least one coin from each king or queen who issued pieces that are collectible. I am also collecting at least one coin for each Roman emperor from Julius Caesar to ... ?
  • Options
    FrazFraz Posts: 1,838 ✭✭✭✭✭

Sorry to jump, I thought that you had a challenge other than a draw and became curious.

• Options
    ifthevamzarockinifthevamzarockin Posts: 8,498 ✭✭✭✭✭

I just gave you 2 likes, you are now at 500. ;)

Not an entry

• Options
    OAKSTAROAKSTAR Posts: 5,806 ✭✭✭✭✭

Damn @JW77! We gotta be brothers of a different mother!! This is unbelievable! We both did the same exact thing!! We even had the same handwriting at 10 years old!! Crazy!!!

You had fingerprints on your coins. I had tape residue on mine. 😂 😂

Disclaimer: I'm not a dealer, trader, grader, investor or professional numismatist. I'm just a hobbyist. (To protect me but mostly you! 🤣 )

• Options

@OAKSTAR said:
    Damn @JW77! We gotta be brothers of a different mother!! This is unbelievable! We both did the same exact thing!! We even had the same handwriting at 10 years old!! Crazy!!!

But where are your 69s? You gave up in 69 and me in 70! At least you were complete through 68, whereas I had many slots to fill. I bet those were the money shots! :D

• Options
    oldabeintxoldabeintx Posts: 1,632 ✭✭✭✭✭

You did better than I did in the '50's. And I cleaned a bunch of mine as well. Wish I had hung onto a few as keepsakes and had one or two slabbed to pass down.

• Options

@JW77 said:

@OAKSTAR said:

But where are your 69s? You gave up in 69 and me in 70! At least you were complete through 68, whereas I had many slots to fill. I bet those were the money shots! :D

Just about that time I was going in the Marine Corps. My collecting was put on hold for about 30 years.

Disclaimer: I'm not a dealer, trader, grader, investor or professional numismatist. I'm just a hobbyist. (To protect me but mostly you! 🤣 )

• Options
    erwindocerwindoc Posts: 4,927 ✭✭✭✭✭

I have put together several sets of these and am always amazed at how hard the 55S is to find in circulation! Your set proves it too!

• Options

Just bumping the thread to see if anyone else wants to join the raffle that I will draw tomorrow morning. To enter give me a like or agree on my second post above or just do it on this post.

• Options
    TrampTramp Posts: 652 ✭✭✭✭✭

I have a couple of those completed albums from my childhood. Keep forgetting what a time capsule they are. Unfortunately, they are only the few coins I have retained from those days long past. Good memories.

USAF (Ret.) 1985 - 2005. E-4B Aircraft Maintenance Crew Chief and Contracting Officer.
    My current Registry sets:
    ✓ Everyman Mint State Carson City Morgan Dollars (1878 – 1893)
    ✓ Everyman Mint State Lincoln Cents (1909 – 1958)
    ✓ Morgan Dollar GSA Hoard (1878 – 1891)

• Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

@JW77... Thanks for the giveaway... I have a couple of large jars of wheaties I need to search, and an album with holes would be a good thing to have... I can work on completing a set for a future gift/giveaway. Cheers, RickO

• Options
    JWPJWP Posts: 17,614 ✭✭✭✭✭

@OAKSTAR said:

@JW77 said:

@OAKSTAR said:

Just about that time I was going in the Marine Corps. My collecting was put on hold for about 30 years.

I was in the same boat, went in the navy in 1971 and was not able to start collecting again until the the late 90s after retiring from the USAF. It was hard to collect and move every few years.

USN & USAF retired 1971-1993
    Successful Transactions with more than 100 Members

• Options

@JWP said:

@OAKSTAR said:

@JW77 said:

@OAKSTAR said:

I was in the same boat, went in the navy in 1971 and was not able to start collecting again until the the late 90s after retiring from the USAF. It was hard to collect and move every few years.

You're singing my song for sure! For some reason, many of us are in that same boat. Although, I didn't retire from the Marine Corps. 3 years was long enough! I was actually in-and-out, 2 months before I hit 21.

Marine Corps, career, family, house; all got in the way of coins for 30+ years.

• Options

Drawing in 5 minutes 7:05 am pacific. time for late entries.

• Options
    JWPJWP Posts: 17,614 ✭✭✭✭✭

@OAKSTAR I really didn't start collecting again until just a few years ago. I finally had the time and some available cash to do it. I went the USM route and had coins sent to my folk's address while in the Military, and they just piled up for years while i was gone. Mail orders were great, just never had the chance to really collect like i do now. :)

USN & USAF retired 1971-1993
    Successful Transactions with more than 100 Members

• Options

@JWP said:
    @OAKSTAR I really didn't start collecting again until just a few years ago. I finally had the time and some available cash to do it. I went the USM route and had coins sent to my folk's address while in the Military, and they just piled up for years while i was gone. Mail orders were great, just never had the chance to really collect like i do now. :)

Yep! Two very important words.....................Disposable cash.

• Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

@JW77... Thank you for the giveaway... I will enjoy it. Cheers, RickO

• Options
    gumby1234gumby1234 Posts: 5,425 ✭✭✭✭✭

Congrats @ricko

Successful BST with ad4400, Kccoin, lablover, pointfivezero, koynekwest, jwitten, coin22lover, HalfDimeDude, erwindoc, jyzskowsi, COINS MAKE CENTS, AlanSki, BryceM

• Options
    privatecoinprivatecoin Posts: 3,182 ✭✭✭✭✭

Congrats Ricko.

Paper money eventually returns to its intrinsic value. Zero. Voltaire. Ebay coinbowlllc

• Options
    joeykoinsjoeykoins Posts: 14,859 ✭✭✭✭✭

Way To Go, RickO!
    Congratulations 🎊

"Jesus died for you and for me, Thank you,Jesus"!!!

--- If it should happen I die and leave this world and you want to remember me. Please only remember my opening Sig Line.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file