Home U.S. Coin Forum

Auction Advice

I have about 100 coins I would like to consign to an auction. MainlyMorgan VAMS and Capped Bust halves. Half slabbed and half raw.. Many overdates. According to you the experts, who should I talk to to maximize premiums with lower fees. What type of timeline should I be expecting? So many questions so little brain cells. Thanks in advance for the usual top shelf knowledge and help. Time to sell these and head a different direction in my collection.

Answers

• ifthevamzarockinifthevamzarockin Posts: 8,498 ✭✭✭✭✭

I know you sell on ebay, any reason you don't want to sell them there?
    You could also try the BST board here, that would save you a bunch in fees from an auction house or ebay.

• alaura22alaura22 Posts: 2,591 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited March 11, 2023 4:16PM

First thing I would recommend is to get the raw coins graded.
    If you really want to sell then send them all to GC, have them get the raw coins graded and then list them for auction. GC has all the services you need in a one stop process
    Good Luck

• TomBTomB Posts: 20,697 ✭✭✭✭✭

You know the grades. You know the dates. You know the values. None of us know any of that. You should do the homework.

Thomas Bush Numismatics & Numismatic Photography

In honor of the memory of Cpl. Michael E. Thompson

• jmlanzafjmlanzaf Posts: 31,614 ✭✭✭✭✭

@alaura22 said:
    If you really want to sell then send them all to GC, have them get the raw coins graded and then list them for auction. GC has all the services you need in a one stop process
    Good Luck

Or Heritage or Stack's. They all have "all the services". Heritage and Stack's will even sell them raw if they wouldn't straight grade or benefit from the 3rd party expense.

• PerryHallPerryHall Posts: 45,296 ✭✭✭✭✭

The raw coins need to be evaluated first since it may not make financial sense to slab the low value coins and those coins with issues such as cleaning.

Worry is the interest you pay on a debt you may not owe.

If it were me, I'd contact all the auction houses with a list and some photos and ask them what they can do for you. You can't know who is giving you the best deal if you don't ask.

Some material might not even belong in an auction.

• 124Spider124Spider Posts: 833 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited March 11, 2023 9:36PM

@jmlanzaf said:

@alaura22 said:
    Good Luck

Or Heritage or Stack's. They all have "all the services". Heritage and Stack's will even sell them raw if they wouldn't straight grade or benefit from the 3rd party expense.

This is more of a question than a criticism: Heritage and SB both have a much higher BP than GC; since the BP comes out of the seller's hide (assuming reasonably intelligent buyers), why would a seller consign a coin with Heritage or SB? If Heritage and SB have a much larger audience (so more competitive auctions), for both rare coins and non-rare coins, I can understand; but not otherwise.

• Thanks for all the help!

• Pnies20Pnies20 Posts: 2,016 ✭✭✭✭✭

@124Spider said:

@jmlanzaf said:

@alaura22 said:
    Good Luck

This is more of a question than a criticism: Heritage and SB both have a much higher BP than GC; since the BP comes out of the seller's hide (assuming reasonably intelligent buyers), why would a seller consign a coin with Heritage or SB? If Heritage and SB have a much larger audience (so more competitive auctions), for both rare coins and non-rare coins, I can understand; but not otherwise.

Please do us all a favor and delete this. There’s going to be mayhem.

BHNC #248 … 108 and counting.

• DeplorableDanDeplorableDan Posts: 2,485 ✭✭✭✭✭

@124Spider said:

@jmlanzaf said:

@alaura22 said:
    Good Luck

You’re assuming that everyone who consigns with heritage or stacks only nets 100% of hammer. Depending on the caliber of material and the size of the consignment, it’s not uncommon for a consignor to net 105% or more of hammer. At that point, we’re talking about a 5% difference or possibly less. I love GC, but the photography leaves much to be desired. If I feel strongly that Heritage or Stacks photography and descriptions would help my consignment gross 10% more than they would GC, then I’m not worried about the extra 5% in bp. There’s no “one size fits all” answer for what is the better option, it always depends on a few different variables, total value of the consignment being the most important. You have a lot more bargaining power with a 100k worth of coins than you do with 10k worth of coins.

@124Spider said:

@jmlanzaf said:

@alaura22 said:
    Good Luck

BP and SP are irrelevant. It's dollars in your pocket.

I would also point out that if you get negative 5% at Heritage or Stacks, your fees are actually lower than GC.

@DeplorableDan said:

@124Spider said:

@jmlanzaf said:

@alaura22 said:
    Good Luck

You’re assuming that everyone who consigns with heritage or stacks only nets 100% of hammer. Depending on the caliber of material and the size of the consignment, it’s not uncommon for a consignor to net 105% or more of hammer. At that point, we’re talking about a 5% difference or possibly less. I love GC, but the photography leaves much to be desired. If I feel strongly that Heritage or Stacks photography and descriptions would help my consignment gross 10% more than they would GC, then I’m not worried about the extra 5% in bp. There’s no “one size fits all” answer for what is the better option, it always depends on a few different variables, total value of the consignment being the most important. You have a lot more bargaining power with a 100k worth of coins than you do with 10k worth of coins.

Agree with this. At 105%, for material under $1000, GC is more expensive (10%+5%+set up charge).

• rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

@blaircountycoin... Based on your opening post, I gather you just do not want the work involved with that quantity of coins. If that is accurate, why not just sell here on the BST with pictures and description. Least amount of work, no fees... Cheers, RickO

• 1madman1madman Posts: 1,280 ✭✭✭✭✭

Isn’t there a consistent theme/thread about capped bust halves bringing record prices at GC on a weekly basis? I’d give them all the halves in a split second.

• 124Spider124Spider Posts: 833 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited March 13, 2023 12:47PM

Thanks for your responses to my question; they were very helpful!

• davewesendavewesen Posts: 5,759 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited March 13, 2023 3:20PM

minimizing fees doesn't always mean maximizing return to you

oops autocorrect?

edited March 13, 2023 12:38PM

@davewesen said:
    minimizing fees does always mean maximizing return to you

Does or doesn't?

• MasonGMasonG Posts: 6,268 ✭✭✭✭✭

I'm surprised nobody > @jmlanzaf said:

@davewesen said:

Does or doesn't?

I'll vote for "doesn't".

@MasonG said:
    I'm surprised nobody > @jmlanzaf said:

@davewesen said:

Does or doesn't?

I'll vote for "doesn't".

Agreed.

• ElcontadorElcontador Posts: 7,412 ✭✭✭✭✭

@DeplorableDan said:

@124Spider said:

@jmlanzaf said:

@alaura22 said:
    Good Luck

With really nice material, you can get up to 107-108% of hammer price. It depends on your material and your negotiating skills.

"Vou invadir o Nordeste,
    "Seu cabra da peste,
    "Sou Mangueira......."

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file