Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

Should Date Sets include Type I and Type II coins?

DisneyFanDisneyFan Posts: 1,722 ✭✭✭✭✭

Examples are Buffalo nickel and Standing Liberty quarter Date Sets.

Should Date Sets include Type I and Type II coins?

Sign in to vote!
This is a public poll: others will see what you voted for.

Comments

• Options
    DNADaveDNADave Posts: 7,239 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Date Sets should not include Type I and Type II coins.

How ever you want to do it. For me a date set is just one type of coin and wouldn’t even include major type changes.
    In other words a date set of peace dollars just has the 21 peace.

On the other hand. If I was building a date set of ASEs I’d have to consider both of the recent type changes.

• Options
    privatecoinprivatecoin Posts: 3,190 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Date Sets should include Type I and Type II coins.

@keyman64 said:
    Did you know there's a Type 1 and Type 2 for 1917 Mercury Dimes? No one ever talks about them. 1916 was struck in a higher relief and mid-1917 they changed it. The Type of 1916, 1917 Mercs do not have any special scarcity to them so that is why David Lange never pushed for them to be a part of the complete variety registry set over at NGC. They of course are not included in the PCGS registry complete variety set either.

I know this does not really answer your question but collectors can collect what they like and do not always need a registry set to tell them what to collect. I do like the notion of collecting the different types.

This is one example of why I love this forum so much. Learn something new every day,

Paper money eventually returns to its intrinsic value. Zero. Voltaire. Ebay coinbowlllc

• Options
    johnny9434johnny9434 Posts: 27,521 ✭✭✭✭✭

an album of both would suit me just fine. what ever you like, jmo

• Options
    mirabelamirabela Posts: 4,970 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited March 11, 2023 11:30AM

I'd say yes where it involves a significant design change, like the 1917 SLQ or the 1913 buffalo nickel, or the 1883 Liberty nickel with and without CENTS. I'm a lot less concerned with something like certain SBA dollars where the difference is a clear or filled S or anything like that. Then again I don't really collect date sets anyway, and people who do should do what they like.

mirabela
  • Options
    BuffaloIronTailBuffaloIronTail Posts: 7,413 ✭✭✭✭✭

The Mint can (and does) make changes to designs on the fly.

It should not be expected to account for them in sets.

Pete

"I tell them there's no problems.....only solutions" - John Lennon
  • Options
    jesbrokenjesbroken Posts: 9,318 ✭✭✭✭✭

Your date set, do it as you see fit. If it's for a registry set, then the registry determines that.
    Jim

When a man who is honestly mistaken hears the truth, he will either quit being mistaken or cease to be honest....Abraham Lincoln

Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it.....Mark Twain
  • Options
    rec78rec78 Posts: 5,691 ✭✭✭✭✭

@keyman64 said:
    Did you know there's a Type 1 and Type 2 for 1917 Mercury Dimes? No one ever talks about them. 1916 was struck in a higher relief and mid-1917 they changed it. The Type of 1916, 1917 Mercs do not have any special scarcity to them so that is why David Lange never pushed for them to be a part of the complete variety registry set over at NGC. They of course are not included in the PCGS registry complete variety set either.

I know this does not really answer your question but collectors can collect what they like and do not always need a registry set to tell them what to collect. I do like the notion of collecting the different types.

I voted yes because I am a completist. I like complete sets and when I say complete, I mean every available major variety.
    NO, I never know that about 1917 Mercury dimes. I am in this hobby and have collected every series over 65 years and know of most of the main varieties, but never heard of this one until now. Now I have to go to the bank and check which one I have. Some varieties simply aren't promoted. I am glad you brought this up. Can you show us the 2 varieties or link to photos? This is what makes this a great hobby - you learn something new every day. Thanks, Bob

• Options
    keyman64keyman64 Posts: 15,456 ✭✭✭✭✭

@rec78 said:

@keyman64 said:

I voted yes because I am a completist. I like complete sets and when I say complete, I mean every available major variety.
    NO, I never know that about 1917 Mercury dimes. I am in this hobby and have collected every series over 65 years and know of most of the main varieties, but never heard of this one until now. Now I have to go to the bank and check which one I have. Some varieties simply aren't promoted. I am glad you brought this up. Can you show us the 2 varieties or link to photos? This is what makes this a great hobby - you learn something new every day. Thanks, Bob

Hi Bob, sorry for the delayed reply. This topic is written about in David Lange's 2005 book on Mercury Dimes. David Lange estimated 1 out of 8 1917-P examples were of the T16 (Type of 1916) where they used the old hubs from 1916. The T17 hubs, introduced early in the year, are of lower relief. For 1917-D about 1 out of 5 are T16. For 1917-S it is about 1 in 10. Pages 81-86 of the book speak to identification etc. In short, neither are rare.

"If it's not fun, it's not worth it." - KeyMan64
    Looking for Top Pop Mercury Dime Varieties & High Grade Mercury Dime Toners. :smile:
  • Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

Each collector can format their collection in any manner that pleases them (and their resources). That being said, my personal preference would be to include type one and two. I do not do sets, and have not since I did the CC Morgan set. If I were to start a set now, I would include everything - if within reason pricewise. Cheers, RickO

• Options
    MFeldMFeld Posts: 12,056 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited March 13, 2023 7:59AM

You should do whatever you please for YOUR set.
    That said, a "date set" sure sounds like a "date set" to me, not a type set, a variety set or anything other than a "date set". ;)

I would have added a third poll option: Date sets need not include both Type 1 and Type 2 coins.

Mark Feld* of Heritage Auctions*Unless otherwise noted, my posts here represent my personal opinions.

• Options
    lkeneficlkenefic Posts: 7,831 ✭✭✭✭✭

To me, a "Date Set" is just that... the only change to the coin is the date of mintage.

If you want to represent each type... then do a "Type Set".

Of course, Redbook varieties are a category unto themselves...

Collecting: Dansco 7070; Middle Date Large Cents (VF-AU); Box of 20;

Successful BST transactions with: SilverEagles92; Ahrensdad; Smitty; GregHansen; Lablade; Mercury10c; copperflopper; whatsup; KISHU1; scrapman1077, crispy, canadanz, smallchange, robkool, Mission16, ranshdow, ibzman350, Fallguy, Collectorcoins, SurfinxHI, jwitten, Walkerguy21D, dsessom.
  • Options
    telephoto1telephoto1 Posts: 4,751 ✭✭✭✭✭

For me, a "date set" would include all coins of that date including major varieties...as opposed to a "year set", which would be something that just has one representative coin of each denomination of that year.

RIP Mom- 1932-2012
  • Options
    DisneyFanDisneyFan Posts: 1,722 ✭✭✭✭✭

@telephoto1 said:
    For me, a "date set" would include all coins of that date including major varieties...as opposed to a "year set", which would be something that just has one representative coin of each denomination of that year.

My original question was addressed to the current Date Set Registry. Currently it does not include Both Type I and Type II coins.

I hadn't thought of your concept. I have trouble distinguishing between the your concept of year and date. Based on your thought, a 1917 or 1918 "date or year" set could include the 1918/7 - D Buffalo nickel. Fun idea.

• Options
    MFeldMFeld Posts: 12,056 ✭✭✭✭✭

@telephoto1 said:

To me, a "date set" means one of each date for a particular type of coin, while a "year set" means one of each denomination for a particular year.

Mark Feld* of Heritage Auctions*Unless otherwise noted, my posts here represent my personal opinions.

• Options
    124Spider124Spider Posts: 848 ✭✭✭✭✭

Any set should contain precisely the coins the owner of that "set" wants it to include.

This is supposed to be fun; it's not supposed to be taking orders.

• Options
    Dave99BDave99B Posts: 8,364 ✭✭✭✭✭

Date sets are date sets. So I would vote no.

Dave

Always looking for original, better date VF20-VF35 Barber quarters and halves, and a quality beer.
  • Options
    WalkerfanWalkerfan Posts: 8,976 ✭✭✭✭✭

I like how they do it ATS.....You have your choice of either a 1916 T1 or a 1917 T1 and then a 1917 T2.

“I may not believe in myself but I believe in what I’m doing” ~Jimmy Page~

My Full Walker Registry Set (1916-1947)

https://www.ngccoin.com/registry/competitive-sets/16292/

• Options
    NeophyteNumismatistNeophyteNumismatist Posts: 897 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited March 14, 2023 2:02PM

To me, a date set is one per date. Occasionally, a series will have a variety that becomes the standard to a date set (ex. 1913 Buffalo T1 and T2). However, your set - your rules. Have at it the way you want it, and if you change your mind later - that's fine too! :)

I am a newer collector (started April 2020), and I primarily focus on U.S. Half Cents and Type Coins. Early copper is my favorite.

• Options
    telephoto1telephoto1 Posts: 4,751 ✭✭✭✭✭

@MFeld said:

@telephoto1 said:

To me, a "date set" means one of each date for a particular type of coin, while a "year set" means one of each denomination for a particular year.

I have heard that interpretation and don't disagree with it in the context you give-but my remarks spoke to a given year, not a whole series.

RIP Mom- 1932-2012
  • Options
    BillJonesBillJones Posts: 33,486 ✭✭✭✭✭

I would say no. A date set that covers a major design does not need it.

A 1909 Indian Cent would not fit in a set of Lincoln Cents. At the same time, if you are only going for one a year, you don't need the 1909 Plain and the 1909-VDB.

Retired dealer and avid collector of U.S. type coins, 19th century presidential campaign medalets and selected medals. In recent years I have been working on a set of British coins - at least one coin from each king or queen who issued pieces that are collectible. I am also collecting at least one coin for each Roman emperor from Julius Caesar to ... ?
  • Options
    mr1931Smr1931S Posts: 5,975 ✭✭✭✭✭

I think so but what do I know?

Great spirits have always encountered violent opposition from mediocre minds.-Albert Einstein

• Options
    dsessomdsessom Posts: 2,212 ✭✭✭✭✭

Nope. A Date Set is meant to have a single example of each DATE in a series. That's it - no variations at all. It's the most simple set to complete in any series.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file