Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

Rim ding on 1879cc Morgan, buy or not?

PppPpp Posts: 468 ✭✭✭✭

My goal is to have a ms set of Carson city Morgan’s. I am a few away from this goal and because of cost and availability I am may never get there. So I keep upgraded over time to get as close as possible to my goal.

I have a vf35 1879cc and this ngc au53 would be a nice upgrade.
My only issue with this coin is the rim ding at about 3 o’clock on the obverse.
If the ding wasn’t there I would buy it immediately but I am second guessing myself because would pcgs have straight graded this coin?

Just curious what people on this forum would do in this situation. Buy or not?

https://www.ngccoin.com/certlookup/6504703-004/53/

Comments

• Options
    coastaljerseyguycoastaljerseyguy Posts: 1,254 ✭✭✭✭✭

Nice coin, I would hope MA @ PCGS, but hard to tell what may happen. There is also some rim bumps at 10:00.

• Options
    Project NumismaticsProject Numismatics Posts: 1,339 ✭✭✭✭✭

Don’t buy it! You will always focus on the rim ding when you look at it. My rule of thumb is that if I have reservations about a coin I should pass and wait for an example I’m truly excited about. Patience is hard - but there are tons of Morgan’s out there and you will find better.

• Options
    Namvet69Namvet69 Posts: 8,677 ✭✭✭✭✭

Yup K3 and K10 might be okay given the 53 grade. IMO.

BST: endeavor1967, synchr, kliao, Outhaul, Donttellthewife, U1Chicago, ajaan, mCarney1173, SurfinHi, MWallace, Sandman70gt, mustanggt, Pittstate03, Lazybones, Walkerguy21D, coinandcurrency242 , thebigeng, Collectorcoins, JimTyler, USMarine6, Elkevvo, Coll3ctor, Yorkshireman, CUKevin, ranshdow, CoinHunter4, bennybravo, Centsearcher, braddick, Windycity, ZoidMeister, mirabela, JJM, RichURich, Bullsitter, jmski52, LukeMarshall

• Options
    conrad99conrad99 Posts: 366 ✭✭✭

At the right price, that coin wouldn't bother me at all.
    Rim bumps >> field divots

• Options
    No HeadlightsNo Headlights Posts: 2,039 ✭✭✭✭✭

I wouldn't buy a coin that will be a problem when you want to sell it. Not a once in a lifetime opportunity coin where you have to live with what you can buy. You'll have a better opportunity.

• Options
    BillJonesBillJones Posts: 33,486 ✭✭✭✭✭

I would pass. You have noticed the problem, and you will also go to it when you view the coin.

As others have said, some Morgan Dollars might seem scarce, but it's more a matter of high demand than shortage of available examples.

Retired dealer and avid collector of U.S. type coins, 19th century presidential campaign medalets and selected medals. In recent years I have been working on a set of British coins - at least one coin from each king or queen who issued pieces that are collectible. I am also collecting at least one coin for each Roman emperor from Julius Caesar to ... ?
  • Options
    johnny9434johnny9434 Posts: 27,525 ✭✭✭✭✭

Pass, to much trouble for me, jmo

• Options
    jesbrokenjesbroken Posts: 9,326 ✭✭✭✭✭

As you have already bought one that you wish to upgrade, why buy another that you already have reservations about and that you also plan to upgrade to MS. You will not be happy with this purchase. JMO
    Jim

When a man who is honestly mistaken hears the truth, he will either quit being mistaken or cease to be honest....Abraham Lincoln

Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it.....Mark Twain
  • Options
    PppPpp Posts: 468 ✭✭✭✭

Thank you everyone for your comments. Obtaining unbiased opinions is one of things I like about this forum.
    I was leaning toward not to buy however someone might have suggested a compelling reason to buy it that I cannot see.
    I decided not to buy.

• Options
    Steven59Steven59 Posts: 8,294 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Ppp said:
    I decided not to buy.

Wise choice.

"When they can't find anything wrong with you, they create it!"

• Options
    ashelandasheland Posts: 22,695 ✭✭✭✭✭

I don’t find the marks all that distracting, but like others have said and they are correct, if it’s bothering you, then wait, there are better examples out there.

• Options
    goldengolden Posts: 9,072 ✭✭✭✭✭

You will always see the rim bump. There are plenty of 1879-CC $1 out there. Wait for one that you will like.

• Options
    dhikewhitneydhikewhitney Posts: 364 ✭✭✭

Hard pass

• Options
    RampageRampage Posts: 9,418 ✭✭✭✭

The coin is a solid AU53, even with the mind rim bumps. I have no problem with those bumps, but even if they were not there, the coin is not strong enough for AU55.

• Options
    lkeneficlkenefic Posts: 7,834 ✭✭✭✭✭

It's good that you decided against it. Your eye will always be drawn to the "issue" and you'll never be able to unsee it.

FWIW... my eye was drawn more to the hit on the bridge of Liberty's nose. For me, that's a prime focal area...

Collecting: Dansco 7070; Middle Date Large Cents (VF-AU); Box of 20;

Successful BST transactions with: SilverEagles92; Ahrensdad; Smitty; GregHansen; Lablade; Mercury10c; copperflopper; whatsup; KISHU1; scrapman1077, crispy, canadanz, smallchange, robkool, Mission16, ranshdow, ibzman350, Fallguy, Collectorcoins, SurfinxHI, jwitten, Walkerguy21D, dsessom.
  • Options
    TrampTramp Posts: 655 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited March 11, 2023 7:00PM

Good to hear you made a wise and money saving decision.

I made the mistake years ago, settling for an NGC 1889-CC AU50. Once I got it, then it was like, how do I get rid of it for an MS grade without losing money. I'm usually in the mind set, "one time buy" meaning spending more the first time around so you don't have to redo it again in the future. Drives my wife crazy! Lol.

From the time of buying that AU50, above, to landing this 1889-CC MS-62 (CAC) was 7 years. Just never ran across one that jumped out at me until this one.

Good luck hunting those CC's! They are out there!

They are much better in hand than the TVs.

USAF (Ret.) 1985 - 2005. E-4B Aircraft Maintenance Crew Chief and Contracting Officer.
    My current Registry sets:
    ✓ Everyman Mint State Carson City Morgan Dollars (1878 – 1893)
    ✓ Everyman Mint State Lincoln Cents (1909 – 1958)
    ✓ Morgan Dollar GSA Hoard (1878 – 1891)

• Options
    skier07skier07 Posts: 3,701 ✭✭✭✭✭

I would be more concerned about the lack of a sticker.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file