Home U.S. Coin Forum

How to “darken” cleaned coins? !RESULTS!

OwnerofawheatiehordeOwnerofawheatiehorde Posts: 1,504 ✭✭✭✭✭
edited March 12, 2023 6:40AM in U.S. Coin Forum

I have a couple cleaned coins, how do I darken the Indians and the dime? I tried the windowsill for a year, nothing but some corrosion. I know I can’t get those hairlines off the dime, but can I make it look better?
Thank you.

Type collector, mainly into Seated. Young Numismatist. Good BST transactions with: mirabela, OKCC, MICHAELDIXON

Comments

• OwnerofawheatiehordeOwnerofawheatiehorde Posts: 1,504 ✭✭✭✭✭

I would prefer fast ways, but any is fine. :)

Type collector, mainly into Seated. Young Numismatist. Good BST transactions with: mirabela, OKCC, MICHAELDIXON

• keyman64keyman64 Posts: 15,452 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited March 10, 2023 8:25PM

One way is to get a 1950s mint set or proof set brown envelope, put the coin in there (tape the envelope shut) and hang the envelope with a clothes pin/chip clip in a warm & humid environment (outside storage unit or garage) for a few months, checking on it once a month or so. Strong results are obtained in Florida. Results may vary. ;)

"If it's not fun, it's not worth it." - KeyMan64
    Looking for Top Pop Mercury Dime Varieties & High Grade Mercury Dime Toners. :smile:
  • Walkerguy21DWalkerguy21D Posts: 11,115 ✭✭✭✭✭

I wouldn’t expend any effort on the 1887.
    The dime needs exposure to sulfur, maybe cardboard storage? Or old album?
    The1885, maybe the envelope?
    You’re still looking at probably a year though.

Successful BST transactions with 170 members. Recent: Tonedeaf, Shane6596, Piano1, Ikenefic, RG, PCGSPhoto, stman, Don'tTelltheWife, Boosibri, Ron1968, snowequities, VTchaser, jrt103, SurfinxHI, 78saen, bp777, FHC, RYK, JTHawaii, Opportunity, Kliao, bigtime36, skanderbeg, split37, thebigeng, acloco, Toninginthblood, OKCC, braddick, Coinflip, robcool, fastfreddie, tightbudget, DBSTrader2, nickelsciolist, relaxn, Eagle eye, soldi, silverman68, ElKevvo, sawyerjosh, Schmitz7, talkingwalnut2, konsole, sharkman987, sniocsu, comma, jesbroken, David1234, biosolar, Sullykerry, Moldnut, erwindoc, MichaelDixon, GotTheBug
  • braddickbraddick Posts: 22,995 ✭✭✭✭✭

A seasoned dealer used cigar smoke. He'd blow the smoke on the coin throughout, smoking his cigar.

peacockcoins

• lkeneficlkenefic Posts: 7,741 ✭✭✭✭✭

I recall a product called Dellar's Darkener years ago that was basically a sulfur paste. Never used it...

Collecting: Dansco 7070; Middle Date Large Cents (VF-AU); Box of 20;

Successful BST transactions with: SilverEagles92; Ahrensdad; Smitty; GregHansen; Lablade; Mercury10c; copperflopper; whatsup; KISHU1; scrapman1077, crispy, canadanz, smallchange, robkool, Mission16, ranshdow, ibzman350, Fallguy, Collectorcoins, SurfinxHI, jwitten, Walkerguy21D, dsessom.
  • TrampTramp Posts: 652 ✭✭✭✭✭

Ground coffee beans. Results very but results nonetheless. https://youtu.be/Cv_FDyMnDhk

Let us know if tried and the results.

USAF (Ret.) 1985 - 2005. E-4B Aircraft Maintenance Crew Chief and Contracting Officer.
    My current Registry sets:
    ✓ Everyman Mint State Carson City Morgan Dollars (1878 – 1893)
    ✓ Everyman Mint State Lincoln Cents (1909 – 1958)
    ✓ Morgan Dollar GSA Hoard (1878 – 1891)

• ConnecticoinConnecticoin Posts: 12,475 ✭✭✭✭✭

@lkenefic said:
    I recall a product called Dellar's Darkener years ago that was basically a sulfur paste. Never used it...

I believe Deller’s is no longer made, however, Wizard coin supply sells a product called “Dillers Duller” which I think is the same stuff.

@lkenefic said:

Never used it either, but I suspect, but don’t know for certain, that Deller’s was used on this one. Or perhaps a gun bluing chemical.
    I no longer own it, as it was one of the first coins to go when I decided to break up the middle date hoard. a national dealer bought it quickly as the eye appeal was actually very nice.

Successful BST transactions with 170 members. Recent: Tonedeaf, Shane6596, Piano1, Ikenefic, RG, PCGSPhoto, stman, Don'tTelltheWife, Boosibri, Ron1968, snowequities, VTchaser, jrt103, SurfinxHI, 78saen, bp777, FHC, RYK, JTHawaii, Opportunity, Kliao, bigtime36, skanderbeg, split37, thebigeng, acloco, Toninginthblood, OKCC, braddick, Coinflip, robcool, fastfreddie, tightbudget, DBSTrader2, nickelsciolist, relaxn, Eagle eye, soldi, silverman68, ElKevvo, sawyerjosh, Schmitz7, talkingwalnut2, konsole, sharkman987, sniocsu, comma, jesbroken, David1234, biosolar, Sullykerry, Moldnut, erwindoc, MichaelDixon, GotTheBug
  • rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

A couple of small pieces of hard boiled egg yolk in an envelope with the coin (keep them separate or if the yolk makes contact, it will get ugly) for a while, and it will darken. Cheers, RickO

@ricko said:
    A couple of small pieces of hard boiled egg yolk in an envelope with the coin (keep them separate or if the yolk makes contact, it will get ugly) for a while, and it will darken. Cheers, RickO

I'll try that on the dime, and do the coffee on a Lincoln to test it out, then on the Indians if it works.

See you in a couple weeks!

• FrazFraz Posts: 1,698 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited March 11, 2023 10:52AM

@ricko said:

Dang, you’re crafty! You omit telling PO to leave the envelope in the dog bowl.

• lilolmelilolme Posts: 2,435 ✭✭✭✭✭

https://youtube.com/watch?v=2YNufnS_kf4 - Mama I'm coming home ...................................................................................................................................................................... RLJ 1958 - 2023

• Namvet69Namvet69 Posts: 8,624 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited March 11, 2023 12:10PM

Liver of sulfur works but you need to experiment cause it can get very dark. Good luck. Peace Roy

BST: endeavor1967, synchr, kliao, Outhaul, Donttellthewife, U1Chicago, ajaan, mCarney1173, SurfinHi, MWallace, Sandman70gt, mustanggt, Pittstate03, Lazybones, Walkerguy21D, coinandcurrency242 , thebigeng, Collectorcoins, JimTyler, USMarine6, Elkevvo, Coll3ctor, Yorkshireman, CUKevin, ranshdow, CoinHunter4, bennybravo, Centsearcher, braddick, Windycity, ZoidMeister, mirabela, JJM, RichURich, Bullsitter, jmski52

• TimNHTimNH Posts: 119 ✭✭✭

@ricko said:

I tried this on a shiny polished silver coin and it worked amazingly well, also amazingly fast, so keep a close eye on it. Another hour and it probably would have been overdone.

• Shane6596Shane6596 Posts: 759 ✭✭✭✭✭

How long was it in with the yolks?

That is interesting

Successful BST transactions with....Coinslave87, ChrisH821, Walkerguy21D, SanctionII.......................Received "You Suck" award 02/18/23

• lilolmelilolme Posts: 2,435 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Ownerofawheatiehorde said:
    Not sure I like it…

You had/have a well circulated cleaned with some discoloration coin. What were you expecting to get out of it?
    Looks acceptable for an album coin.

This is the Morgan from the matches test. It was a similar coin.

https://youtube.com/watch?v=2YNufnS_kf4 - Mama I'm coming home ...................................................................................................................................................................... RLJ 1958 - 2023

• 2windy2fish2windy2fish Posts: 794 ✭✭✭✭✭

Fairly certain it was called “Dillards Darkener” just for the sake of clarity….

• TurboSnailTurboSnail Posts: 1,668 ✭✭✭✭✭

a bar of $2 sulfur soap

• MasonGMasonG Posts: 6,268 ✭✭✭✭✭

FWIW...

• PerryHallPerryHall Posts: 45,301 ✭✭✭✭✭

In a past similar thread, there was a forum member who made his own darkener by mixing powdered sulfur and petroleum jelly. Not sure where to find powdered sulfur but you may be able to create a similar darkener buy mixing a hardboiled egg yolk or some crushed match heads with a little petroleum jelly. Of course, you'd want to first experiment with it on a junk coin before trying it on a collectable coin with numismatic value.

Worry is the interest you pay on a debt you may not owe.

Well, results are here. The barber and the seated came out nice, and I like the bullion too. The walker was… “odd”. The silver eagle is just hilarious :D . The Indians came out good, but with some discoloration. That ‘39 quarter though. All the coins were cleaned except the bullion + the ‘60 quarter.

A little bit of hot water and baking soda later…

• TPRCTPRC Posts: 3,738 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited March 12, 2023 11:44AM

I like the egg yolk story. Very interesting. Surprised no one mentioned a quick dip in Clorox for silver. Personally, I don't like the look, but it will dull down a "too shiny" silver coin.

Tom

I’m amazed at the arrows dime look.
    A bit scary actually.

• BustHalfBrianBustHalfBrian Posts: 4,119 ✭✭✭

This thread is so informative! I'm going to have to try the egg yolk toning on some of my cleaned coins. Thank you everyone for sharing your knowledge.

Lurking and learning since 2010. Full-time professional numismatist.

>
    Yes,> @BustHalfBrian said:

This thread is so informative! I'm going to have to try the egg yolk toning on some of my cleaned coins. Thank you everyone for sharing your knowledge.

Please share it if and when you do it!

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file