Home Sports Talk

C.J. Stroud or Bryce Young?

doubledragondoubledragon Posts: 22,147 ✭✭✭✭✭

My Panthers traded up with the Bears and now we have the #1 pick in the draft, who should we take, C.J. Stroud or Bryce Young? Our owner David Tepper reportedly likes Bryce Young, but our head coach Frank Reich likes C.J. Stroud.

«13

Comments

  • LandrysFedoraLandrysFedora Posts: 1,709 ✭✭✭✭✭

    Don't blow it Panthers! They must definitely have eyes on someone they really really like. In my opinion Stroud would be the guy.

  • doubledragondoubledragon Posts: 22,147 ✭✭✭✭✭

    To be honest, I want Stroud, he's 6'3", and Bryce Young is 6'0", I'd rather have the taller guy.

  • doubledragondoubledragon Posts: 22,147 ✭✭✭✭✭

    Yes, I like it, don't blow it Panthers!

  • perkdogperkdog Posts: 29,183 ✭✭✭✭✭

    CJ Stroud 100%

    Bryce Young is simply too small

  • Steven59Steven59 Posts: 8,151 ✭✭✭✭✭

    Bryce Young is 6'0",

    Another Baker Mayfield.

  • doubledragondoubledragon Posts: 22,147 ✭✭✭✭✭

    Ah yes, inspector Clouseau, I remember him.

  • perkdogperkdog Posts: 29,183 ✭✭✭✭✭

    @doubledragon said:
    Ah yes, inspector Clouseau, I remember him.

    🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣

  • galaxy27galaxy27 Posts: 7,048 ✭✭✭✭✭

    i very much dig this trade for us. i knew the pick was going to someone; i was just hoping for a king's ransom in return.

    i have always loved me some DJ Moore. finally, finally, FINALLY a smidgen of help for Fields, and we didn't have to use our #1 to get it. now i kinda hope we grab that Skoronski kid to protect him..........by all accounts he's pro-ready.

    congrats double d -- i hope your Panthers select the right guy. let's just hope he knows how to spell, unlike the retard challenged vocabularist who created the graphic you included

  • coolstanleycoolstanley Posts: 2,375 ✭✭✭✭✭

    They say young's real height is 5 '10.

    Terry Bradshaw was AMAZING!!

    Ignore list -Basebal21

  • LandrysFedoraLandrysFedora Posts: 1,709 ✭✭✭✭✭

    @galaxy27 said:
    i very much dig this trade for us. i knew the pick was going to someone; i was just hoping for a king's ransom in return.

    i have always loved me some DJ Moore. finally, finally, FINALLY a smidgen of help for Fields, and we didn't have to use our #1 to get it. now i kinda hope we grab that Skoronski kid to protect him..........by all accounts he's pro-ready.

    congrats double d -- i hope your Panthers select the right guy. let's just hope he knows how to spell, unlike the retard challenged vocabularist who created the graphic you included

    I before E except after C...lol

  • doubledragondoubledragon Posts: 22,147 ✭✭✭✭✭

    @galaxy27 said:
    i very much dig this trade for us. i knew the pick was going to someone; i was just hoping for a king's ransom in return.

    i have always loved me some DJ Moore. finally, finally, FINALLY a smidgen of help for Fields, and we didn't have to use our #1 to get it. now i kinda hope we grab that Skoronski kid to protect him..........by all accounts he's pro-ready.

    congrats double d -- i hope your Panthers select the right guy. let's just hope he knows how to spell, unlike the retard challenged vocabularist who created the graphic you included

    Thanks buddy, you'll like DJ, he's a baller!

  • Basebal21Basebal21 Posts: 1,843 ✭✭✭✭

    I would take Young between the two. The real wild card would be someone doing something really stupid and taking AR or Levis because they were combine monsters

  • TabeTabe Posts: 5,904 ✭✭✭✭✭

    @doubledragon said:
    To be honest, I want Stroud, he's 6'3", and Bryce Young is 6'0", I'd rather have the taller guy.

    Bryce Young measured 5'10" at the combine.

    I'm taking Stroud all day.

  • Basebal21Basebal21 Posts: 1,843 ✭✭✭✭

    @Tabe said:

    @doubledragon said:
    To be honest, I want Stroud, he's 6'3", and Bryce Young is 6'0", I'd rather have the taller guy.

    Bryce Young measured 5'10" at the combine.

    I'm taking Stroud all day.

    If heights the factor than you would want Tanner Mckee from Stanford at 6'6. Young played in the harder conference and had much more success including being the only one to do anything against 2021 Georgia which is arguably the greatest defense of all time. Game tape means more than combine numbers

  • MaywoodMaywood Posts: 1,825 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited March 11, 2023 5:52AM

    @doubledragon said: To be honest, I want Stroud, he's 6'3", and Bryce Young is 6'0", I'd rather have the taller guy.

    Bryce Young was listed at 6' with Alabama but the combine has him at 5'10" 204 lbs. which is just too short. I heard an interesting quote the other day: "As the season wears on fast players tend to slow down a little but big players don't get smaller." I also think Bryce Young won't get any taller and that will be an impediment for him in the NFL that it wasn't in the NCAA. If anything has been learned from the Kyler Murray experiment it should be that height does matter, at least where an NFL QB is concerned.

  • BullsitterBullsitter Posts: 5,281 ✭✭✭✭✭

    I'd go with Young but to be fair I only saw D.J. play twice, both losses.

  • doubledragondoubledragon Posts: 22,147 ✭✭✭✭✭

    Not funny!

  • coolstanleycoolstanley Posts: 2,375 ✭✭✭✭✭

    @Basebal21 said:

    @Tabe said:

    @doubledragon said:
    To be honest, I want Stroud, he's 6'3", and Bryce Young is 6'0", I'd rather have the taller guy.

    Bryce Young measured 5'10" at the combine.

    I'm taking Stroud all day.

    If heights the factor than you would want Tanner Mckee from Stanford at 6'6. Young played in the harder conference and had much more success including being the only one to do anything against 2021 Georgia which is arguably the greatest defense of all time. Game tape means more than combine numbers

    Now go look up Stroud's numbers against Georgia.

    Terry Bradshaw was AMAZING!!

    Ignore list -Basebal21

  • Basebal21Basebal21 Posts: 1,843 ✭✭✭✭
    edited March 11, 2023 4:33PM

    @Maywood said:
    @doubledragon said: To be honest, I want Stroud, he's 6'3", and Bryce Young is 6'0", I'd rather have the taller guy.

    Bryce Young was listed at 6' with Alabama but the combine has him at 5'10" 204 lbs. which is just too short. I heard an interesting quote the other day: "As the season wears on fast players tend to slow down a little but big players don't get smaller." I also think Bryce Young won't get any taller and that will be an impediment for him in the NFL that it wasn't in the NCAA. If anything has been learned from the Kyler Murray experiment it should be that height does matter, at least where an NFL QB is concerned.

    While most reports seem to think Carolina will take Stroud, far to much emphasis is being put on Youngs height. Hurts and Tua are only 6'1, HOF QB Breese was only 6 foot, Russel Wilson and Murray are the same height as just some examples. The concern with the height is that a QB cant see the field. Young played at Bama in the SEC where basically every lineman on both sides of the ball if 6'4 or taller and some even 6'7 and never struggled with down field vision.

    Lets be honest, the B!G was just bad last year outside of 3 teams and one of them Stroud was playing on. He had the best WR core in the country in an overall bad division yet Young playing far tougher competition still had better numbers for their respective career.

    If youve seen Young hes not a runner like some guys are, he can run and will run to create space but hes a pocket passer with a cannon that isnt looking to run first

    By the way though the issue with Murrary isnt his height, its that hes just not that good. Hes on a bad Cardinals team with a bad attitude who hates all his coaches, doesnt take things that seriously aside from Call of Duty where his numbers go down everytime a new one is released etc. He could be 6'7 and it wouldnt make a difference

  • Basebal21Basebal21 Posts: 1,843 ✭✭✭✭

    @coolstanley said:

    @Basebal21 said:

    @Tabe said:

    @doubledragon said:
    To be honest, I want Stroud, he's 6'3", and Bryce Young is 6'0", I'd rather have the taller guy.

    Bryce Young measured 5'10" at the combine.

    I'm taking Stroud all day.

    If heights the factor than you would want Tanner Mckee from Stanford at 6'6. Young played in the harder conference and had much more success including being the only one to do anything against 2021 Georgia which is arguably the greatest defense of all time. Game tape means more than combine numbers

    Now go look up Stroud's numbers against Georgia.

    Stroud didnt play 2021 Georgia. As good as Georgia was last year it wasnt the all time best 2021 GA defense, especially since they had significant injuries by the time they got to the playoffs in 2022

    Stroud was also pretty bad against Michigan getting blown out and then Michigan went on to get dominated by TCU. Michigan doesnt even have a good QB

    Stroud will be or should be at the top of the draft, but its just not a good argument to prefer him simply because hes a little taller. AR15 would be the number 1 pick if we just go by combine numbers and ignore game tape

  • LandrysFedoraLandrysFedora Posts: 1,709 ✭✭✭✭✭

    The 29 current Hall of Fame QB's and their respective heights.

    Montana 6-0
    Manning 6-5
    Unitas 6-1
    Favre 6-2
    Marino 6-4
    Elway 6-3
    Graham 6-1
    Baugh 6-2
    Bradshaw 6-3
    Staubach 6-3
    Young 6-2
    Starr 6-1
    Aikman 6-4
    Stabler 6-3
    Tarkenton 6-0
    Warner 6-2
    Tittle 6-0
    Namath 6-2
    Moon 6-3
    Fouts 6-3
    Kelly 6-3
    Dawson 6-0
    Van Brocklin 6-1
    Layne 6-1
    Griese 6-1
    Jurgensen 5-11
    Blanda 6-2
    Waterfield 6-1
    Luckman 6-0

  • coolstanleycoolstanley Posts: 2,375 ✭✭✭✭✭

    I'm taking Stroud for sure :D

    Terry Bradshaw was AMAZING!!

    Ignore list -Basebal21

  • BullsitterBullsitter Posts: 5,281 ✭✭✭✭✭

    @coolstanley said:
    Now go look up Stroud's numbers against Georgia.

    .
    B) ....OSU vs Georgia 2022 / Bama vs Georgia 2021

    .

  • spacehaydukespacehayduke Posts: 5,425 ✭✭✭✭✭

    If Carolina knows what it is doing, they are taking Stroud, so here is hoping that the Tejanos have a back up plan bc Young will grow old before he is ever an elite NFL qb..................


    Successful transactions with-Boosibri,lkeigwin,TomB,Broadstruck,coinsarefun,Type2,jom,ProfLiz, UltraHighRelief,Barndog,EXOJUNKIE,ldhair,fivecents,paesan,Crusty...
  • 2dueces2dueces Posts: 6,230 ✭✭✭✭✭

    The Panthers will trade down and still get their QB. You heard it first from the swami.
    Oh BTW, whomever they chose will be wrong. Can you say 2018 Cleveland and N. Y. Jets?

    W.C.Fields
    "I spent 50% of my money on alcohol, women, and gambling. The other half I wasted.
  • Basebal21Basebal21 Posts: 1,843 ✭✭✭✭

    @2dueces said:
    The Panthers will trade down and still get their QB. You heard it first from the swami.
    Oh BTW, whomever they chose will be wrong. Can you say 2018 Cleveland and N. Y. Jets?

    There's a lot of truth to the fact that they will probably ruin whoever they take. Ironically aside from the paycheck the best thing that can happen to a QB is to slide into the back part of the first round

  • coolstanleycoolstanley Posts: 2,375 ✭✭✭✭✭

    @Bullsitter said:

    @coolstanley said:
    Now go look up Stroud's numbers against Georgia.

    .
    B) ....OSU vs Georgia 2022 / Bama vs Georgia 2021

    .

    Both put up impressive numbers. Stroud had the better completion percentage.

    Terry Bradshaw was AMAZING!!

    Ignore list -Basebal21

  • Basebal21Basebal21 Posts: 1,843 ✭✭✭✭
    edited March 12, 2023 7:09PM

    @coolstanley said:

    @Bullsitter said:

    @coolstanley said:
    Now go look up Stroud's numbers against Georgia.

    .
    B) ....OSU vs Georgia 2022 / Bama vs Georgia 2021

    .

    Both put up impressive numbers. Stroud had the better completion percentage.

    And Young played the better GA defense which is the greatest college defense of all time

    2021 GA would just get bored. Albama scored 41 on them in the SEC final. By the time the national championship happened Youngs two elite first round WRs were missing. One blew out their ACL before the game, the other did during the game.

    But that 2021 GA defense had 3 shutouts, and 8 games giving up less than 10 points, 12 games giving up 13 points or less. No team besides Young and Bama scored more than 18 points on them. The 41 was more than GA had given up in their previous 5 games combined.

    To put it in a little more perspective GA had 15 players drafted that year, including 8 on the defense. Every eligible defensive starter was drafted and 5 GA defensive starters went in the first round which is unheard of.

  • coolstanleycoolstanley Posts: 2,375 ✭✭✭✭✭

    @Basebal21 said:

    @coolstanley said:

    @Bullsitter said:

    @coolstanley said:
    Now go look up Stroud's numbers against Georgia.

    .
    B) ....OSU vs Georgia 2022 / Bama vs Georgia 2021

    .

    Both put up impressive numbers. Stroud had the better completion percentage.

    And Young played the better GA defense which is the greatest college defense of all time

    I still think Stroud's performance was more impressive because it was a true road game for the Buckeyes. And 2022 Georgia went Undefeated. 2021 Georgia did not. 2022 Georgia also had a top ten defense.

    Terry Bradshaw was AMAZING!!

    Ignore list -Basebal21

  • thisistheshowthisistheshow Posts: 9,386 ✭✭✭✭✭

    As I type this, it is 23:59 Eastern time. It will be past that when I hit post.

    I had an amazing day, visiting family that I haven't seen in years...and DD's topcats make the pseudo-alpha move up the pick chart. Great day! Great day! Things are getting juicy round here.

  • Basebal21Basebal21 Posts: 1,843 ✭✭✭✭
    edited March 12, 2023 9:09PM

    @coolstanley said:

    @Basebal21 said:

    @coolstanley said:

    @Bullsitter said:

    @coolstanley said:
    Now go look up Stroud's numbers against Georgia.

    .
    B) ....OSU vs Georgia 2022 / Bama vs Georgia 2021

    .

    Both put up impressive numbers. Stroud had the better completion percentage.

    And Young played the better GA defense which is the greatest college defense of all time

    I still think Stroud's performance was more impressive because it was a true road game for the Buckeyes. And 2022 Georgia went Undefeated. 2021 Georgia did not. 2022 Georgia also had a top ten defense.

    Objectively Youngs performance was better against an objective;y better all time best defense. 5 first round defensive players then two more linebackers in the 3rd round. The first round was half of GAs defense and over 10 percent of the first round total. Thats just unheard of for a single team overall much less just one side of the ball. Both were true road games, the SEC championship in 2021 was in ATL.

    Georgias defence was still elite this year, but people seem to be dismissing just how elite their 2021 defense was that gave up 153 points total in 15 games and 59 were to Young and Bama.

    The scary part for everyone else, is that we saw that GAs backups were actually better than their starters last year

  • thisistheshowthisistheshow Posts: 9,386 ✭✭✭✭✭

    Either way, this smells like a decision the Panthers could easily mess up (no offense, DD).

  • perkdogperkdog Posts: 29,183 ✭✭✭✭✭

    @thisistheshow said:
    Either way, this smells like a decision the Panthers could easily mess up (no offense, DD).

    This is not a strong class to begin with

  • thisistheshowthisistheshow Posts: 9,386 ✭✭✭✭✭

    @perkdog said:

    @thisistheshow said:
    Either way, this smells like a decision the Panthers could easily mess up (no offense, DD).

    This is not a strong class to begin with

    Exactly. We could be talking in years about how they would have went wrong with either pick, and how trading up was a disaster because they could have gotten so and so with their original pick.

    No pressure DD. No pressure.

  • TabeTabe Posts: 5,904 ✭✭✭✭✭

    @Basebal21 said:

    @Tabe said:

    @doubledragon said:
    To be honest, I want Stroud, he's 6'3", and Bryce Young is 6'0", I'd rather have the taller guy.

    Bryce Young measured 5'10" at the combine.

    I'm taking Stroud all day.

    If heights the factor than you would want Tanner Mckee from Stanford at 6'6. Young played in the harder conference and had much more success including being the only one to do anything against 2021 Georgia which is arguably the greatest defense of all time. Game tape means more than combine numbers

    I should have elaborated. Height isn't a factor for me here. I just think Stroud is better.

  • TabeTabe Posts: 5,904 ✭✭✭✭✭

    @Basebal21 said:

    Stroud was also pretty bad against Michigan getting blown out and then Michigan went on to get dominated by TCU. Michigan doesnt even have a good QB

    Michigan scored 45 lost by 6 to TCU and outgained them. They were not dominated by any stretch of the imagination.

    Stroud threw for 743 and 4 touchdowns in two games against Michigan, while putting up over 30 points twice. It's just flat out untrue to say he was bad against them.

  • Basebal21Basebal21 Posts: 1,843 ✭✭✭✭
    edited March 13, 2023 5:41PM

    @Tabe said:

    @Basebal21 said:

    Stroud was also pretty bad against Michigan getting blown out and then Michigan went on to get dominated by TCU. Michigan doesnt even have a good QB

    Michigan scored 45 lost by 6 to TCU and outgained them. They were not dominated by any stretch of the imagination.

    Stroud threw for 743 and 4 touchdowns in two games against Michigan, while putting up over 30 points twice. It's just flat out untrue to say he was bad against them.

    Michigan was without question dominated by TCU. There was no point in that game were it ever felt like TCU was winning and they scored at will. TCU was up 21-6 at the half, at no point in that game did Michigan ever have a lead

    Michigan beat them 45 23 this year and 42 27 last year., OSU and Stroud never put up 30 points against them, he also had 2 INTs. 2:1 TD to INT ratio in college is bad.

    Id rather have Young, he had better numbers against better competition. More importantly though hes better at using his feet to keep plays alive and avoid sacks which as a top drafted QB would be doing a lot of. Id imagine the Texans will be happy with whatever one doesnt go to Carolina

  • TabeTabe Posts: 5,904 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited March 14, 2023 11:57AM

    Winning by 6 thanks to 2 defensive TDs while getting outgained and giving up 45 isn't dominating. It's just not. TCU was up 21-6 so that means they got outscored 39-30 the rest of the way. That's...... not dominating. If the other guys have the ball at the end with a chance to win, you didn't dominate.

    And you're right about the Ohio scores. Was looking at the wrong thing.

  • coolstanleycoolstanley Posts: 2,375 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited March 14, 2023 3:04AM

    @Basebal21 said:

    @Tabe said:

    @Basebal21 said:

    Id rather have Young, he had better numbers against better competition.

    Is that what Esecpn said? What conference landed two playoff teams and had about the same bowl record as the sec?

    Also Stroud is a TWO-time Heisman finalist. Young only once.

    Terry Bradshaw was AMAZING!!

    Ignore list -Basebal21

  • BullsitterBullsitter Posts: 5,281 ✭✭✭✭✭

    Stroud: Dang that waters cold.
    Young: Yeah, it's deep too....... ;)

  • fergie23fergie23 Posts: 2,078 ✭✭✭✭

    IMO Young is too spindly and short to succeed as an NFL QB. Doesn't mean he won't have a good season or two but no long term future for him.

    I think Stroud has the better future but I don't think either QB will end up being a top 10 QB in the league. Feels like 2015 when it was Winston & Mariota going at the top of the draft and both sucking as QBs.

    Robb

  • Basebal21Basebal21 Posts: 1,843 ✭✭✭✭

    @Tabe said:
    Winning by 6 thanks to 2 defensive TDs while getting outgained and giving up 45 isn't dominating. It's just not. TCU was up 21-6 so that means they got outscored 39-30 the rest of the way. That's...... not dominating. If the other guys have the ball at the end with a chance to win, you didn't dominate.

    And you're right about the Ohio scores. Was looking at the wrong thing.

    TCU scored with 9:22 left in the first Quarter, from that point on they lead every second of the game against Michigan. Micigan never tied the game up and was losing for over 54 minutes. A late TD in a two score game made it a one score game for the final.

    Any team that leads for 54 minutes and never once trails dominated the game> @coolstanley said:

    @Basebal21 said:

    @Tabe said:

    @Basebal21 said:

    Id rather have Young, he had better numbers against better competition.

    Is that what Esecpn said? What conference landed two playoff teams and had about the same bowl record as the sec?

    Also Stroud is a TWO-time Heisman finalist. Young only once.

    Young actually won the Heisman. The SEC is without question the best conference by every measure. Wins. national titles, head to head, players in the NFL.

    What conference just won the natty for the 4th year in a row with 3 different teams? What conference has won 13 of the last 17 titles?

    SEC also had two playoff teams the year before and they both made it to the finals. Bama should have been in the playoffs over OSU this year who got dominated at home and had one good win with PSU but the current committee right now consists of overwhelmingly B1G and Pac 12 voters and a couple professors that I doubt even watch college. Once the playoff expansion comes its going to become almost impossible to deny it.

    And yes its well know Young is a little better creating space extending plays with his feet. Strouds reluctance to do so has always been a criticism of him

  • DarinDarin Posts: 6,241 ✭✭✭✭✭

    @fergie23 said:
    IMO Young is too spindly and short to succeed as an NFL QB. Doesn't mean he won't have a good season or two but no long term future for him.

    I think Stroud has the better future but I don't think either QB will end up being a top 10 QB in the league. Feels like 2015 when it was Winston & Mariota going at the top of the draft and both sucking as QBs.

    Robb

    I’m not so sure, at minimum I’ll reserve judgement until they’ve had some NFL experience.
    If I remember correctly, wasn’t Jalen Hurts the guy who had to transfer to Oklahoma because he lost his job at Alabama to Tua?
    So he wasn’t exactly a sure thing for the Eagles and he’s been nothing less than great.
    These guys could be the next Hurts or the next Baker Mayfield or Mitch Trubisky that’s what makes it so much fun for us NFL fans you never know who will step up and become a great player.

    DISCLAIMER FOR BASEBAL21
    In the course of every human endeavor since the dawn of time the risk of human error has always been a factor. Including but not limited to field goals, 4th down attempts, or multiple paragraph ramblings on a sports forum authored by someone who shall remain anonymous.
  • thisistheshowthisistheshow Posts: 9,386 ✭✭✭✭✭

    @Darin said:

    @fergie23 said:
    IMO Young is too spindly and short to succeed as an NFL QB. Doesn't mean he won't have a good season or two but no long term future for him.

    I think Stroud has the better future but I don't think either QB will end up being a top 10 QB in the league. Feels like 2015 when it was Winston & Mariota going at the top of the draft and both sucking as QBs.

    Robb

    I’m not so sure, at minimum I’ll reserve judgement until they’ve had some NFL experience.
    If I remember correctly, wasn’t Jalen Hurts the guy who had to transfer to Oklahoma because he lost his job at Alabama to Tua?
    So he wasn’t exactly a sure thing for the Eagles and he’s been nothing less than great.
    These guys could be the next Hurts or the next Baker Mayfield or Mitch Trubisky that’s what makes it so much fun for us NFL fans you never know who will step up and become a great player.

    ...
    That's easy for you to say. You've got Patrick "1,000 ohms" Mahomes. I have to worry about whether or not the MacAttack is still firing or completely neutered.

  • MaywoodMaywood Posts: 1,825 ✭✭✭✭✭

    What @Darin posted bears some consideration with all the prior talk of the Alabama QB's and the SEC strength.

    Jalen Hurts was once listed ahead of Tua Tagavailoa and Mac Jones and transferred when he apparently wasn't good enough for Nick Saban to be the starter. Now that all three are NFL starting QB's it would appear after their brief time in the NFL, away from how the NCAA plays, that Jalen Hurts has the best long term prognosis. Mac Jones looks tentative in New England, Tua may have physical limitations which shorten his career and Hurts just played in the Super Bowl.

    I believe we are still 1-2 seasons away from being able to fully critique the QB draft classes of 2020 and 2021, but thus far it seems that Joe Burrow, Justin Herbert and Jalen Hurts are the only proven winners from both drafts. Others such as Trevor Lawrence, Justin Fields, Tua Tagavailoa and Mac Jones have shown they can play/compete and perhaps have bright futures.

  • fergie23fergie23 Posts: 2,078 ✭✭✭✭

    I think Hurts run first style won't end well. All the run first QBs got hurt this year, right? Hurts, Fields, Lamar, Allen, etc.

    IMO, five years from now Burrow, Herbert, and Lawrence will be the stars from these QB classes.

    Robb

  • Alfonz24Alfonz24 Posts: 2,999 ✭✭✭✭✭

    #LetsGoSwitzerlandThe Man Who Does Not Read Has No Advantage Over the Man Who Cannot Read. The biggest obstacle to progress is a habit of “buying what we want and begging for what we need.”You get the Freedom you fight for and get the Oppression you deserve.
  • Basebal21Basebal21 Posts: 1,843 ✭✭✭✭

    @Maywood said:
    What @Darin posted bears some consideration with all the prior talk of the Alabama QB's and the SEC strength.

    Jalen Hurts was once listed ahead of Tua Tagavailoa and Mac Jones and transferred when he apparently wasn't good enough for Nick Saban to be the starter. Now that all three are NFL starting QB's it would appear after their brief time in the NFL, away from how the NCAA plays, that Jalen Hurts has the best long term prognosis. Mac Jones looks tentative in New England, Tua may have physical limitations which shorten his career and Hurts just played in the Super Bowl.

    I believe we are still 1-2 seasons away from being able to fully critique the QB draft classes of 2020 and 2021, but thus far it seems that Joe Burrow, Justin Herbert and Jalen Hurts are the only proven winners from both drafts. Others such as Trevor Lawrence, Justin Fields, Tua Tagavailoa and Mac Jones have shown they can play/compete and perhaps have bright futures.

    Hurts will probably have the best career eventhough Tua is the most talented of the three. Tua had some devastating injuries with basically exploding his pelvis and the ankle injury where they literally invented a new surgery to fix it. Those injuries so far and I think even Saban said his NFL

    Mac Jones is a weird one. He had one monster year (the only year he played) in the weird 2020 year with an insane amount of weapons around him. He threw for 4500 yards, but almost 1900 were to DeVonta Smith, 900 were to another first rounder Metchie, Najee Harries caught over 400 while running for 1500, and Waddle another first rounder had 600. Basically all of his production came from elite first round studs which hes not going to get at the skill positions in NE. I dont think the NE style is the right style for him, he very likely needs a more open offense that values big time WRs

  • spacehaydukespacehayduke Posts: 5,425 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited March 16, 2023 12:27PM

    @Basebal21 said:

    I still think Stroud's performance was more impressive because it was a true road game for the Buckeyes. And 2022 Georgia went Undefeated. 2021 Georgia did not. 2022 Georgia also had a top ten defense.

    Objectively Youngs performance was better against an objective;y better all time best defense. 5 first round defensive players then two more linebackers in the 3rd round. The first round was half of GAs defense and over 10 percent of the first round total. Thats just unheard of for a single team overall much less just one side of the ball. Both were true road games, the SEC championship in 2021 was in ATL.

    Georgias defence was still elite this year, but people seem to be dismissing just how elite their 2021 defense was that gave up 153 points total in 15 games and 59 were to Young and Bama.

    What a qb does in college is close to meaningless. Both played for elite college teams with great OL's and large talent to hand off to or throw to, so their stats are benefiting being in the right place. So what? Stroud has an NFL classic qb body (6'3", 218 lbs.), Young is too small (6'0", 195 lbs.). Small qb's that succeed as elite in the NFL are rare. This is why the Mahomes, Herberts, and Allens of the leagues are doing so well, when well, the small guys like Mayfield, are not......... You need to see over those 6'6" lineman to make a play, big qbs simply have better vision and usually better arms. I would draft Young in the lower rounds and make him prove it rather than invest a higher pick in him. But silly me, I only want to win SB's, NFL teams appear to have other priorities.

    Interestingly, ESPN draft board has Young #1 and Stroud #3. I hope Carolina sees it that way so the Tejanos get Stroud.


    Successful transactions with-Boosibri,lkeigwin,TomB,Broadstruck,coinsarefun,Type2,jom,ProfLiz, UltraHighRelief,Barndog,EXOJUNKIE,ldhair,fivecents,paesan,Crusty...
  • BullsitterBullsitter Posts: 5,281 ✭✭✭✭✭

    @spacehayduke said:

    @Basebal21 said:

    I still think Stroud's performance was more impressive because it was a true road game for the Buckeyes. And 2022 Georgia went Undefeated. 2021 Georgia did not. 2022 Georgia also had a top ten defense.

    Objectively Youngs performance was better against an objective;y better all time best defense. 5 first round defensive players then two more linebackers in the 3rd round. The first round was half of GAs defense and over 10 percent of the first round total. Thats just unheard of for a single team overall much less just one side of the ball. Both were true road games, the SEC championship in 2021 was in ATL.

    Georgias defence was still elite this year, but people seem to be dismissing just how elite their 2021 defense was that gave up 153 points total in 15 games and 59 were to Young and Bama.

    What a qb does in college is close to meaningless. Both played for elite college teams with great OL's and large talent to hand off to or throw to, so their stats are benefiting being in the right place. So what? Stroud has an NFL classic qb body (6'3", 218 lbs.), Young is too small (6'0", 195 lbs.). Small qb's that succeed as elite in the NFL are rare. This is why the Mahomes, Herberts, and Allens of the leagues are doing so well, when well, the small guys like Mayfield, are not......... You need to see over those 6'6" lineman to make a play, big qbs simply have better vision and usually better arms. I would draft Young in the lower rounds and make him prove it rather than invest a higher pick in him. But silly me, I only want to win SB's, NFL teams appear to have other priorities.

    Interestingly, ESPN draft board has Young #1 and Stroud #3. I hope Carolina sees it that way so the Tejanos get Stroud.

    .
    .
    .
    Just fyi, Bryce is 5' 10"

    Also, Bama's OL averaged. 6'5" @ 315 lbs last year. I don't remember but a couple of batted passes.

Sign In or Register to comment.