Home Precious Metals
Options

Financial system collapse (wall-street stocks)......

Comments

• Options
    jmski52jmski52 Posts: 22,373 ✭✭✭✭✭

Thanks, roadrunner. To your point, 27 months out of 12 years (144 months) = 18.75% of the time that gold and the dollar moved up at the same time (on a monthly basis.)

While not "almost never" it is nonetheless a very low correlation, statistically. Meaning, the there is very little correlation between a strong dollar and a higher gold price.

Coho is out to lunch. So sad. :)

Q: Are You Printing Money? Bernanke: Not Literally

I knew it would happen.
  • Options
    cohodkcohodk Posts: 18,621 ✭✭✭✭✭

@jmski52 said:

Coho is out to lunch. So sad. :)

5 guys burger and fries so yummy.

🍔🍟

I gave you an entire year when both gold and the dollar moved in same direction, yet you dismiss it. Roadrunner does same and you accept it. That is willful ignorance. And that's especially sad.

Excuses are tools of the ignorant

Knowledge is the enemy of fear

• Options

I gave you an entire year when both gold and the dollar moved in same direction, yet you dismiss it. Roadrunner does same and you accept it. That is willful ignorance. And that's especially sad.

You presented it as the rule, roadrunner illustrated that it was the exception. The salient fact is the correlation, or lack thereof.

fries will give you arthrosclerosis if you make it a habit.

I knew it would happen.
  • Options
    morgansforevermorgansforever Posts: 8,428 ✭✭✭✭✭

Just listened to Art Laffer and Stephanie Pomboy expect to lose another 30% in the next 6 months on top of what you've already lost. Stephanie also claimed it's going to be everything all at once and a very hard landing. God help us, I hope they're wrong.

World coins FSHO Hundreds of successful BST transactions U.S. coins FSHO
  • Options
    derrybderryb Posts: 36,203 ✭✭✭✭✭

@jmski52 said:

The dollar can rise against other currencies for a year while gold is also rising against those same currencies, but that bears no relation to the fact that the relationship between gold and the dollar is an inverse relationship - always and over time.

This is correct. Gold's inverse relationship exist with all fiat currencies. Gold normally inversely follows the direction of the dollar (dollar index DXY). DXY normally rises because it's comparative "basket" currencies drop. When one of these basket currencies drops in price gold will normally rise when priced in that currency.

The key here is to understand the DXY itself has an inverse relationship also with the index "basket" currencies.

For example as the euro drops the dollar will rise. Gold in euros will rise as gold in dollars drops.

Keep an open mind, or get financially repressed -Zoltan Pozsar

• Options

@cohodk said:

@BLUEJAYWAY said:

@cohodk said:

@jmski52 said:
    Just because the dollar index rises against other currencies, that doesn’t mean that the inverse relationship isn’t happening.

The dollar index has no bearing on gold’s relation to the dollar.

If a tree falls and you didn't hear it, did it still make a sound?

If $ is created out of thin air does it make a sound?

Have you ever seen it created out of thin air?

Yep, because of banking regulation policy 100% of my last bank loan was funded by only 10% of the banks actual deposits. If the remaining 90% was not a creation on paper, please tell me where it came from.

• Options

@TwoSides2aCoin said:
    Follow the money, or follow the miner. They're both headed to the bank :confused:
    Now enter crypto . How good is a digital currency held in an insolvent bank ?

there are two ways to own digital currency;
    1. In a personal "wallet" that involves no banks
    2. In a crypto account with a crypto bank that is subject to failure. I use paypal for this purpose, view it as the least risk.

• Options
    edited March 22, 2023 5:19PM

because of banking regulation policy 100% of my last bank loan was funded by only 10% of the banks actual deposits. If the remaining 90% was not a creation on paper,

It's not even fractional reserve banking anymore. The reserve requirement was dropped to Zero a few years ago. The free money has no limits at this point.

(Free to the banks if they can find a borrower willing to dig himself into a debt hole.)

I knew it would happen.
  • Options
    BLUEJAYWAYBLUEJAYWAY Posts: 8,020 ✭✭✭✭✭

@cohodk said:

@BLUEJAYWAY said:

@cohodk said:

@jmski52 said:
    Just because the dollar index rises against other currencies, that doesn’t mean that the inverse relationship isn’t happening.

The dollar index has no bearing on gold’s relation to the dollar.

If a tree falls and you didn't hear it, did it still make a sound?

If $ is created out of thin air does it make a sound?

Have you ever seen it created out of thin air?

Blind Faith.

Successful transactions:Tookybandit. "Everyone is equal, some are more equal than others".
  • Options

@jmski52 said:

You presented it as the rule, roadrunner illustrated that it was the exception. The salient fact is the correlation, or lack thereof.

No. I cited as an example, which is what you asked for.

fries will give you arthrosclerosis if you make it a habit.

And participating in the this forum gives me a headache, yet some things are worth it. I'm assuming you've never had 5 guys fries?

• Options

I'm assuming you've never had 5 guys fries?

Hah, I thought they'd gone Chapter 11. Maybe not.

So, when you said:

One can also find charts of firewood with an inverse relationship to the dollar.

Were you not strongly implying that there is no inverse relationship between the price of gold and the dollar?

It's plainly obvious that you were attempting to discredit that fact in order to derail the conversation.

So I'll repeat the point - there is very little correlation between a strong dollar and a higher gold price.

I knew it would happen.
  • Options

Per Seeking Alpha At -0.92, DXY has a near perfect inverse correlation to Gold. If the DXY falls, Gold rises, and vice-versa. Guess that makes it a Russian website. LOL

• Options

Per Seeking Alpha At -0.92, DXY has a near perfect inverse correlation to Gold. If the DXY falls, Gold rises, and vice-versa.

I think that's what they refer to as "statistically significant". Seems pretty obvious to me, even without the stats.

I knew it would happen.
  • Options
    meluaufeetmeluaufeet Posts: 751 ✭✭✭
    edited March 25, 2023 12:43PM

I'm seeing 120 day @ -0.92 and 15 day @ -0.88

• Options
    roadrunnerroadrunner Posts: 28,303 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited April 13, 2023 2:29PM

Look at the US Dollar Index from October 2008 gold low to the Sept 2011 gold high. Gold ramped almost straight up in that period....$682 to $1923. YET.....the USDX stayed in a consolidating flag or rectangle that entire time. The dollar's change from end to end was only 0.86 to 0.83.....negligible while gold nearly tripled. A not very good correlation. If anyone were trading gold off the dollar's movements during those 2-3 yrs....they would have had a tough time of it....despite the "long term 92% correlation." This 3 yr period is a pretty darn big exception. For hands on charts go to Netdania Below are the monthly charts of each. Gold rallies more off the lack of confidence in govt's....not necessarily off the currencies, or inflation, or money supply, or sovereign debt. Though over the long term gold seems to catch up to all those factors.

Barbarous Relic No More, LSCC -GoldSeek--shadow stats--SafeHaven--321gold
  • Options
    edited April 13, 2023 5:10PM

@roadrunner said:
    Look at the US Dollar Index from October 2008 gold low to the Sept 2011 gold high. Gold ramped almost straight up in that period....$682 to $1923. YET.....the USDX stayed in a consolidating flag or rectangle that entire time. The dollar's change from end to end was only 0.86 to 0.83 while gold nearly tripled. A not very good correlation.

Oh boy....jmski, you hear this?

What did the price if firewood do during this time? Dang...it went up too!!!

• Options
    bidaskbidask Posts: 13,860 ✭✭✭✭✭

The big banksters JPM and BLK doing well today

Big fat dividends too 😊

I manage money. I earn money. I save money .
    I give away money. I collect money.
    I don’t love money . I do love the Lord God.

• Options
    edited April 14, 2023 11:40AM

@cohodk said:

@roadrunner said:
    Look at the US Dollar Index from October 2008 gold low to the Sept 2011 gold high. Gold ramped almost straight up in that period....$682 to $1923. YET.....the USDX stayed in a consolidating flag or rectangle that entire time. The dollar's change from end to end was only 0.86 to 0.83 while gold nearly tripled. A not very good correlation.

Oh boy....jmski, you hear this?

What did the price if firewood do during this time? Dang...it went up too!!!

Nope. Cohodk needs to learn to read charts, a skill usually mastered by 5th grade.

And we're not talking about the total 3 yr move....but all the major whipsaws that made up that move. Your wood chart only proves what I was saying all along.....For this 3 yr period the USDX was not a good predictor of gold's movements. Nor was gold's movements a good predictor of Firewood pricing....lol.

Talk about irrelevant charting! We're discussing gold vs USDX and CoHo tosses in firewood. And even worse the firewood chart has the same big whipsaws from Fall 2008 to Fall 2011....as the USDX. Which only proves my point that neither USDX (or even Fire wood) was tracking gold properly. Firewood crashed throughout 2009 (with USDX) while gold was moving strongly up. Both poorly correlated to gold. Other things were forcing gold higher than just the USDollar. We can discuss those reasons separately. QED.

Maybe Coho can do a more detail USDX vs Firewood analysis over on the CU Wood Forum....lol. And worse yet, he's using the modern CPI / PPI "firewood" methods that having nothing in coming with pre-1980 and pre-1990 methods. The current PPI index is no less massaged (and inaccurate) as the govt's published CPI-U.

• Options

Nope roadrunner. Amd if you weren't so jaded and contemptuous, narrow minded and influenced, you would realize my point.

Yes, we discussed gold and USDX. My point is that any asset or commodity that is priced in dollars will have correlation. So I chose the mundane, wood chips, to illustrate what takes you a 1000 word diatribe to discuss. And I did it in one simple.sentence, because the truth does not need a dissertation. The truth is the truth. It does not need a narrative.

• Options
    dcarrdcarr Posts: 8,001 ✭✭✭✭✭

@cohodk said:
    Nope roadrunner. Amd if you weren't so jaded and contemptuous, narrow minded and influenced, you would realize my point.

Yes, we discussed gold and USDX. My point is that any asset or commodity that is priced in dollars will have correlation. So I chose the mundane, wood chips, to illustrate what takes you a 1000 word diatribe to discuss. And I did it in one simple.sentence, because the truth does not need a dissertation. The truth is the truth. It does not need a narrative.

Your post lacks substance (as usual). Nothing to back up or refute an assertion. No data, no charts, and most of it is about the quantity of words in the opposing post, not the message of that post.

PS:
    A commodity priced in dollars will sometimes have a "negative correlation" to the dollar index. Rarely will the two have a positive "correlation".

• Options

Yes, I hear this. I hear that for a short 3 year period, the strong longterm inverse correlation between the price of gold and the dollar index was out of sync.

And to somehow dispute the fact that a strong longterm negative correlation exists, coho decides to bring in a totally irrelevant factor.

Coho didn't choose to discuss the reasons why the statistically significant longterm trend didn't hold for those 3 years, no - he started discussing firewood charts that bear zero relationship to the question at hand.

So who's jaded and contemptuous?

I knew it would happen.
  • Options
    edited April 15, 2023 5:10AM

@jmski52 said:
    Yes, I hear this. I hear that for a short 3 year period, the strong longterm inverse correlation between the price of gold and the dollar index was out of sync.

And to somehow dispute the fact that a strong longterm negative correlation exists, coho decides to bring in a totally irrelevant factor.

I'm not disputing anything. I'm actually agreeing. Are you guys that daft?

What i am doing is belittling the point point that gold is some sort of miracle by stating that all assets and commodities will appreciate when the USDX declines. Hence the reference to wood chips and the similar chart patterns. Roadrunner wants to make up some convoluted reasoning to support gold and I post a chart of wood chips with the same chart. If his reasoning applies to gold, then why not wood chips?

You guys are so blinded by hate. Get out into the real world and live a little. Sheesh.

• Options

Hey roadrunner...maybe we should base 1980 CPI off of 1937 data. What you think?

• Options

And you haven't answered by question about the correlation of the sp500 to USDX. Is that because the answer doesn't fit your narrative?

• Options

@dcarr said:

Your post lacks substance (as usual). Nothing to back up or refute an assertion. No data, no charts, and most of it is about the quantity of words in the opposing post, not the message of that post.

PS:
    A commodity priced in dollars will sometimes have a "negative correlation" to the dollar index. Rarely will the two have a positive "correlation".

Where are your charts and data to back this up? ;)

If you're going to make it a game, at least make it difficult. :)

• Options
    HigashiyamaHigashiyama Posts: 2,152 ✭✭✭✭✭

May I change the tenor of the discussion slightly, with a question and an observation? In very plain language, what do you learn by looking at the correlation of gold with the dollar index?

The dolllar index tends to fluctuate around a mean that has been basically flat for 40 years. Gold fluctuates but of course has been on an upward trajectory against the dollar and the dollar index. So, over long periods of time, all of the major “fiat” currencies are remarkably in sync with each other, and are losing value versus gold. This is a very simple message. Unless you are a trader, why care about shorter term correlations?

Higashiyama
  • Options

@Higashiyama said:
    May I change the tenor of the discussion slightly, with a question and an observation? In very plain language, what do you learn by looking at the correlation of gold with the dollar index?

While gold tends to have an inverse relationship with DXY, what is more important is gold's inverse relationship with faith in dollar future value. Dollar index has nothing to do with buying power of the dollar in its native country; DXY has no bearing on US inflation rate.

Gold price is simply a reflection on faith in the dollar and faith in it's masters.

• Options
    blitzdudeblitzdude Posts: 5,452 ✭✭✭✭✭

I gots me gold, but unlike you I don't feel the need to sit up in my bunker 24/7 praying for the demise of America, the end of the world etc. It's spring for cripes sakes! I beg you....go outside, take a deep breath and enjoy the world. Trust me, it's an unbelievably beautiful place. THKS!

The whole worlds off its rocker, buy Gold™.

• Options

@blitzdude said:
    I gots me gold, but unlike you I don't feel the need to sit up in my bunker 24/7 praying for the demise of America, the end of the world etc. It's spring for cripes sakes! I beg you....go outside, take a deep breath and enjoy the world. Trust me, it's an unbelievably beautiful place. THKS!

It is not knowing what one thinks one knows that makes one stupid.

• Options

So, over long periods of time, all of the major “fiat” currencies are remarkably in sync with each other, and are losing value versus gold.

The fiat currencies are so poorly mismanaged that they are losing purchasing power versus everything - not just gold. The main difference between gold and wood chips is that nobody has ever used wood chips to store value or to transact, and they probably never will.

What i am doing is belittling the point that gold is some sort of miracle by stating that all assets and commodities will appreciate when the USDX declines.

I don't think that anyone implied that gold is some sort of miracle, but it is in fact an asset that can be easily stored, concealed and kept as a long term financial asset that doesn't depend on empty paper promises by corrupt bankers and politicians. Same goes for silver, maybe even more so.

I knew it would happen.
  • Options

@jmski52 said:
    gold ....... is an asset that can be easily stored, concealed and kept as a long term financial asset that doesn't depend on empty paper promises by corrupt bankers and politicians. Same goes for silver, maybe even more so.

I thought many have argued that those "empty paper promises" are EXACTLY what gold depends upon?

• Options

@cohodk said:

@jmski52 said:
    gold ....... is an asset that can be easily stored, concealed and kept as a long term financial asset that doesn't depend on empty paper promises by corrupt bankers and politicians. Same goes for silver, maybe even more so.

I thought many have argued that those "empty paper promises" are EXACTLY what gold depends upon?

how so?

• Options

You thought wrong. The bond market depends on empty paper promises.

Gold doesn't change, and it doesn't need any type of promise to be gold. It's valued only for what it is.

It's the paper - bonds & fiat currency, both - that depend on promises which are being proven to be empty ones.

I knew it would happen.
  • Options

@derryb said:

@cohodk said:

@jmski52 said:

how so?

What happened to your faith?

• Options
    edited April 19, 2023 11:15AM

Lost my "faith in paper" stuff & promises back around 1971 when the gold window was closed and the collectibles' bull market was born. It didn't help any that the stock market was already in a 5 year slump......with another 11 years still to go. Even as a young coin collector during the 1965-1971 period one was an eye witness to silver coins slowly disappearing from ones change. The end of sound "money."

• Options

The roots of many of today's billionaires can be found in that 11 year period. What a great time to have been stacking equities. It's a shame so many were afraid then.

• Options
    tincuptincup Posts: 4,771 ✭✭✭✭✭

Hind sight is always 100%..... fore sight ummm.... not quite so much.

----- kj
  • Options

@tincup said:
    Hind sight is always 100%..... fore sight ummm.... not quite so much.

Because, as demonstrated frequently in this forum, we spend too much time looking backwards.

• Options
    GoldFinger1969GoldFinger1969 Posts: 1,302 ✭✭✭✭

@RonB said:
    The SVB financial bank collapse will affect 1000 startups, a third will not be able to make payroll next week. Thousands of jobs will be affected.
    One commenter calls it an extinction level event, that could set back innovation by 10 years.

Pretty much a nothing-burger now, a month later. :)

• Options

@bidask said:
    jpm @130 ...bac @ 30 ...blk @636 are BUY BUY BUY

I traded BLK at 695, still holding JPM and BAC....

• Options

And 4+% rates have attracted a new, and very powerful investor, the US citizen. Americans will pour trillions into US debt. The sword of Damacles the Chinese govt thought they would hold over our head has been snatched away and instead pointed to their throat.

Go ahead China, dump those Treasuries!!

• Options

What is it now? $31.4 trillion? Now rolling over at higher rates. Buy that debt, coho! Don't worry about it all collapsing on you. You can explain how you just made millions, when a McDonalds burger will cost you $25. (They've already gone sky-high.)

I knew it would happen.
  • Options

100k at 5% is $5000. That will buy 200 of your $25 big macs.

Although I don't eat MCD stuff, dont be jealous.

• Options

@jmski52 said:
    What is it now? $31.4 trillion? Now rolling over at higher rates. Buy that debt, coho! Don't worry about it all collapsing on you. You can explain how you just made millions, when a McDonalds burger will cost you $25. (They've already gone sky-high.)

Speaking of MCD it made a new all time high 😄

• Options
    edited April 24, 2023 5:17PM

@cohodk said:
    And 4+% rates have attracted a new, and very powerful investor, the US citizen. Americans will pour trillions into US debt.

And, why not invest in a losing bet? Socialism always includes socialist economic policy. Got a central bank digital currency account yet? Note that those with good credit will be paying higher mortage rates to subsidize those with risky credit.

The sword of Damacles the Chinese govt thought they would hold over our head has been snatched away and instead pointed to their throat.

History will show that foreign grip on your sword is tightening, not getting looser, Third world status continues to get closer. Still far off, but closer.

• Options
    blitzdudeblitzdude Posts: 5,452 ✭✭✭✭✭

@derryb said:

@cohodk said:
    And 4+% rates have attracted a new, and very powerful investor, the US citizen. Americans will pour trillions into US debt.

And, why not invest in a losing bet? Socialism always includes socialist economic policy. Got a central bank digital currency account yet?

I's gots several. BTC and ETH etc...... THKS!

PS: I's gots US Treasuries too, and even savings accounts north of 4%. As it's been said, conservatism tends to leave one right smack in the middle of the stinky gutter, RGDS!

The whole worlds off its rocker, buy Gold™.

• Options

@blitzdude said:

PS: I's gots US Treasuries too, and even savings accounts north of 4%.

Tip: the higher the interest rate paid by a bank the higher that bank is on the "risk" list.

• Options
    SoldiSoldi Posts: 2,023 ✭✭✭✭✭

Truth

• Options
    edited April 24, 2023 7:47PM

@derryb said:

@blitzdude said:

PS: I's gots US Treasuries too, and even savings accounts north of 4%.

Tip: the higher the interest rate paid by a bank the higher that bank is on the "risk" list.

Not really

Risk more about their depositors leaving

• Options

We’re done with “gradually”. We’ve now reached the “suddenly” part

"Logarithmic decay is like how Hemingway famously described going bankrupt in The Sun Also Rises– “Gradually, then suddenly.”"