Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

Goo Gone on Silver - Before & After Results

coastaljerseyguycoastaljerseyguy Posts: 1,254 ✭✭✭✭✭

I recently posted a photo of 1 of my Morgans with gunk in all the crevices. I already soaked in acetone for a week and nothing. With some advice from posters that Goo Gone was an acceptable solvent for silver, I soaked in a small amount of Goo Gone for a couple of days and removed today. See the before & after, am super pleased with results. The whitish gunk is gone and the nice brown patina remained. And I already had the Goo Gone that was sitting on a shelf for several years.

Adding this to all the great info and knowledge that I learned from others on this forum, never mind the eye candy posted. Thanks again for the great advice.

Comments

• Options
    TomBTomB Posts: 20,741 ✭✭✭✭✭

It looks like it worked beautifully for you!

Thomas Bush Numismatics & Numismatic Photography

In honor of the memory of Cpl. Michael E. Thompson

• Options
    SwampboySwampboy Posts: 12,886 ✭✭✭✭✭

Pretty cool result. Not perfect but good nonetheless.

• Options
    mr1931Smr1931S Posts: 5,978 ✭✭✭✭✭

Goo Gone is great stuff. And I just love the fresh orange smell it imparts to whatever it touches. <3

Great spirits have always encountered violent opposition from mediocre minds.-Albert Einstein

• Options
    TonedeafTonedeaf Posts: 219 ✭✭✭✭✭

That looks great! How did you remove the goo gone?

Shiny things distract me.

• Options

I just ran under the faucet for about 5 minutes with luke warm water holding with coin tongs. Placed on a cotton cloth and pressed lightly. Was going to soak in acetone but coin surface looked and felt like it was all gone. Unless someone knows the goo is still there, and needs a better rinse, I think its ok.

• Options
    TonedeafTonedeaf Posts: 219 ✭✭✭✭✭

Good to know, thanks.

Shiny things distract me.

• Options
    1630Boston1630Boston Posts: 13,772 ✭✭✭✭✭

:)

Successful transactions with : MICHAELDIXON, Manorcourtman, Bochiman, bolivarshagnasty, AUandAG, onlyroosies, chumley, Weiss, jdimmick, BAJJERFAN, gene1978, TJM965, Smittys, GRANDAM, JTHawaii, mainejoe, softparade, derryb

Bad transactions with : nobody to date

• Options
    DelawareDoonsDelawareDoons Posts: 3,255 ✭✭✭✭✭

Nice 96-S.

I'd use a bit more acetone to make sure the goo gone is gone for good.

Professional Numismatist. "It's like God, Family, Country, except Sticker, Plastic, Coin."

• Options

I can give it a swirl just to be sure.

• Options
    BuffaloIronTailBuffaloIronTail Posts: 7,413 ✭✭✭✭✭

Handle that stuff with care! It's like a wolf in sheeps clothing.

I unknowingly dripped some on my kitchen floor and the stuff ate into it.

Pete

"I tell them there's no problems.....only solutions" - John Lennon
  • Options

@BuffaloIronTail said:
    Handle that stuff with care! It's like a wolf in sheeps clothing.

I unknowingly dripped some on my kitchen floor and the stuff ate into it.

Pete

I know, got a drop on my nice cherry Hooker executive desk once and it ate thru the stain in 2 seconds.

• Options
    JimnightJimnight Posts: 10,823 ✭✭✭✭✭

Looks nice!

• Options
    coinbufcoinbuf Posts: 10,778 ✭✭✭✭✭

Looks like it worked quite well, congrats.

My Lincoln Registry
    My Collection of Old Holders

Never a slave to one plastic brand will I ever be.
  • Options
    OnastoneOnastone Posts: 3,787 ✭✭✭✭✭

The creator of Goo Gone visits our store every summer! I'll ask him his opinion on cleaning silver!

Next time I'd suggest a more exacting method of cleansing...Q-Tip for the ear, saline solution for the nostrils, Visine for the eyes, (gets the red out) and voila- you'll be ready to clean your coin! :)

• Options
    pruebaspruebas Posts: 4,328 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited March 10, 2023 4:37PM

If it was mint state, MS70 would also work to remove that gunk.

Don’t use it on circulated coins though.

• Options
    messydeskmessydesk Posts: 19,706 ✭✭✭✭✭

I'd have used a rose thorn under a stereoscope. Good to see there are alternatives.

• Options

@messydesk said:
    I'd have used a rose thorn under a stereoscope. Good to see there are alternatives.

That was going to be my next option after the acetone until someone mentioned the goo gone. Glad this worked looking at all the dentil gunk on the reverse and in the date and around the stars & motto on obverse. Would have taken me weeks of effort to go slow and easy to not scratch the coin - talk about frustration. Glad folks here share their knowledge what works and what doesn't work.

• Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

@coastaljerseyguy... Thanks for sharing the experience and the pictures. This type of contribution is one of the things that make the forum great. I have used GooGone for other issues (label residue, glue), but not for coins. Always worked well for those issues. Cheers, RickO

• Options
    DollarAfterDollarDollarAfterDollar Posts: 3,214 ✭✭✭✭✭

@BillJones said:
    I have used the stuff to get gunk, including PVC, off of coins and tokens and never had a bad result. Besides, I get high from the orange smell. ;)

You kids......

If you do what you always did, you get what you always got.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file