Home U.S. Coin Forum

Long time lurker, finally joins!

Hello all, I hate the term “Lurker” sounds creepy. Anyway I have been viewing this forum on a regular basis for over 17 years. From the wild cowboy days ( almost like a Jerry springer for coin geeks) to now. Learned a lot in that time.
I say you get more numismatic knowledge from this free forum than in any paid periodical.

Why so long you ask? I really don’t have an answer, I went to the ANA show in Phoenix last week and was really energized and wanted to write a road report. Took 6 days to get approved to join.
A little about me, I got into coins at a young age about 7 years old I was looking thru some Indian head pennies with a red book that my dad had and discovered a 1908 s! Wow a penny worth 15.00!! I was hooked.

When I was about 12 - 16 years old I worked for 3 different coin dealers sometimes at their stores on a Saturday or sometimes I got to go to the various coin shows in Southern California with them. The first dealer I worked for was Allan Hager ( yes that Allan Hager) please remember that I was only 12 to 13 when I worked for him😀. Quite an early education in coins and got to go to many shows and sell my little bit of inventory at his table. He created a coin show in Beverly Hills and I got to help set it up. A side benefit or memory was being able to hold a 1894 s dime at that show!

The next dealer I worked for was Nick Buzolich,( Unfortunately Nick has passed away but I did get to see him at a Long Beach show a few years before, he was an early grader for pcgs) he did not have a store front but I got to go to all the shows in so cal with him. At this time my dad realized I knew about coins and fronted me a couple thousand dollars to buy and sell.
I was lucky because I had no table costs and was able to set up my little display with the dealer I was with as long as I helped at his table. Not too many kids in the mid 70’s were able to make 2 to 500.00 dollars in a weekend .

Well life happened and I did not do any coins for 30 years. Then I rediscovered my passion as disposable income increased. I soon discovered I liked too many things Morgan rolls, Dansco sets , commeratives, Indian peace medals 8 reales and more. Unfortunately the Great Recession affected my business a great deal and my purchases stopped. I still enjoyed coins but I had a caviar taste. Fortunately I have found my niche in the coin world as I buy a little and then sell a little. Can’t afford a collection but I still get to buy the nicer coins and flip them.
Thank you in advance for welcoming me.

Comments

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file