Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

POLL: Do you collect Barber silver coins? (2023 edition)

DentuckDentuck Posts: 3,812 ✭✭✭

Do you collect the circulating silver coins of Charles E. Barber (dimes, quarters, and/or half dollars)?

POLL: Do you collect Barber silver coins? (2023 edition)

Sign in to vote!
This is a public poll: others will see what you voted for.

Comments

• Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭
    No; I own some, but consider them more of an accumulation than a carefully assembled collection.

I have a couple, but they came along with other purchases I made years ago. Nothing wrong with Barber coins, just never had a particular attraction for them. Cheers, RickO

• Options
    oldabeintxoldabeintx Posts: 1,632 ✭✭✭✭✭

Yes, I have collected them and own quite a few, but not as a series. Nothing on my want list currently. I could have picked the third option but don't consider myself a casual collector of anything - always passionate you see.

• Options
    oih82w8oih82w8 Posts: 11,896 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Yes, I’m a very active collector. I’m constantly upgrading my set, or otherwise very active (e.g., cherrypicking or collecting by Fivaz-Stanton number; and/or a member of the Barber Coin Collectors’ Society).

As a Type Set collector, Barber coins are a part of the set. I am actively looking for varieties and upgrades.

oih82w8 = Oh I Hate To Wait _defectus patientia_aka...Dr. Defecto - Curator of RMO's

BST transactions: dbldie55, jayPem, 78saen, UltraHighRelief, nibanny, liefgold, FallGuy, lkeigwin, mbogoman, Sandman70gt, keets, joeykoins, ianrussell (@GC), EagleEye, ThePennyLady, GRANDAM, Ilikecolor, Gluggo, okiedude, Voyageur, LJenkins11, fastfreddie, ms70, pursuitofliberty, ZoidMeister,Coin Finder, GotTheBug, edwardjulio, Coinnmore...
  • Options
    vulcanizevulcanize Posts: 1,339 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited March 10, 2023 10:33AM
    Yes, I’m a casual collector; I collect them, but not as my primary hobby niche.

Dusted off the old Danscos and completed the Barber dimes album recently with average circulated specimens and that was it. Not going to get into the quarters.

Had posted the pics of Barber halves in Dansco completed earlier on the Michael F. Hayes Megathread

** Edited to add pics of my Barber Dimes Dansco - with a few in slabs as am slowly trying to upgrade them.

:)

• Options
    WalkerfanWalkerfan Posts: 8,973 ✭✭✭✭✭
    No; I own some, but consider them more of an accumulation than a carefully assembled collection.

I want a NICE MS Half as a type!!

“I may not believe in myself but I believe in what I’m doing” ~Jimmy Page~

My Full Walker Registry Set (1916-1947)

https://www.ngccoin.com/registry/competitive-sets/16292/

• Options
    seanqseanq Posts: 8,575 ✭✭✭✭✭

@vulcanize said:
    Dusted off the old Danscos and completed the Barber dimes & halves albums with average circulated specimens and that was it. Not going to get into the quarters.

I did a dime set in the 1990s, and I am constantly tempted to do it again. The three stoppers in the quarter series kept me from even starting, though I have a few random ones in a Whitman album. A circulated half set seems doable until you start adding up the cost of all the semi-keys, at which point it looks daunting. I've learned never to say never, and I am thoroughly enjoying filling albums again, so who knows.

Sean Reynolds

Incomplete planchets wanted, especially Lincoln Cents & type coins.

"Keep in mind that most of what passes as numismatic information is no more than tested opinion at best, and marketing blather at worst. However, I try to choose my words carefully, since I know that you guys are always watching." - Joe O'Connor
  • Options
    lermishlermish Posts: 1,926 ✭✭✭✭✭

I'm a type set collector who is happy with his Barbers AND they are proofs so none of the above.

• Options
    jesbrokenjesbroken Posts: 9,290 ✭✭✭✭✭

For some reason I have a handful of 08 Barber Quarters all mm's. Have no remembrance of why. Just happened. Then I have a handful of mixed dimes. Do not intend on collecting further.
    Jim

When a man who is honestly mistaken hears the truth, he will either quit being mistaken or cease to be honest....Abraham Lincoln

Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it.....Mark Twain
  • Options
    LeeBoneLeeBone Posts: 4,315 ✭✭✭✭✭

I used to own a few for a Type Set that I was working on, but my interest has changed and now I own zero.

• Options
    ashelandasheland Posts: 22,686 ✭✭✭✭✭
    No; I don’t collect them at all, and I don’t own any.

I’m a type set collector, I plan to buy some eventually. But currently own none.

• Options
    vulcanizevulcanize Posts: 1,339 ✭✭✭✭✭

@seanq said:
    I did a dime set in the 1990s, and I am constantly tempted to do it again. The three stoppers in the quarter series kept me from even starting, though I have a few random ones in a Whitman album. A circulated half set seems doable until you start adding up the cost of all the semi-keys, at which point it looks daunting. I've learned never to say never, and I am thoroughly enjoying filling albums again, so who knows.

Sean Reynolds

Likewise, have a few quarters but am not going to attempt putting together a set.
    The halves were perhaps easier for me than the dimes because worn semi-keys were still not that expensive at that time. Upgrading the dime set started to wear me down and hence taken a hiatus.
    Cheers.

• Options
    HigashiyamaHigashiyama Posts: 2,152 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Yes, I’m an active collector. I’m filling an album or folder.

I’m one coin away from completing a VG-F Barber half set. It’s a bit more of a challenge than I might have guessed at the outset.

Higashiyama
  • Options
    OAKSTAROAKSTAR Posts: 5,806 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited March 9, 2023 12:52PM

No dime, quarter or half folders or albums. Just the ones in my 7070 and a handful of random ones.

Disclaimer: I'm not a dealer, trader, grader, investor or professional numismatist. I'm just a hobbyist. (To protect me but mostly you! 🤣 )

• Options
    AllentramAllentram Posts: 92 ✭✭✭

I have a nice AU Barber Dime, AU Barber Quarter, and VG half in my 7070 album. I also have a few dimes ranging from G to VF and a couple of G quarters acquired when I was a young lad. Apart from upgrading the half to an F or VF example I don't see myself purchasing any more Barbers, at least in the near future.

• Options
    Rob9874Rob9874 Posts: 315 ✭✭✭✭

I'm always searching for problem-free 1892 PCGS AU58 CAC dime, quarter, and half for my 1st year CAC type set. Harder to find than you think, Then I have a Barber dime album I'll pursue if at a show where there's nothing else I need.

• Options
    Batman23Batman23 Posts: 4,999 ✭✭✭✭✭

I have a few nicer ones for my type set. I have some others I have just accumulated over time. Otherwise these are not something I look to expand on.

• Options
    johnny9434johnny9434 Posts: 27,503 ✭✭✭✭✭

I have some somewhere. I just have a few no ryhme or reason

• Options
    ShaunBC5ShaunBC5 Posts: 1,632 ✭✭✭✭✭

I have few. Mostly circulated dimes and one Unc raw dime. 2 weeks ago I got a nice PCGS MS64 quarter at a show.
    I really like my quarter and my try to give it a few friends in the future.

• Options
    coinbufcoinbuf Posts: 10,760 ✭✭✭✭✭

Just a few for type purposes, I like the reverse of this design, but the obv not so much.

My Lincoln Registry
    My Collection of Old Holders

Never a slave to one plastic brand will I ever be.
  • Options
    Mr_SpudMr_Spud Posts: 4,436 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited March 9, 2023 8:59PM

Both Mrs_Spud and I collect Barber dimes in Wayte Raymond albums. Whenever she upgrades hers I get her older one. Her set is much nicer than mine. I also have an almost complete date set of Barber quarters in a Wayte album too, most are in g to vg that I pulled out of junk silver. These aren’t really my main collecting focus though, but the Barber Dimes are Mrs_Spuds main focus.

Mr_Spud

• Options
    OldIndianNutKaseOldIndianNutKase Posts: 2,700 ✭✭✭✭✭

I find Barbers very unattractive........unless they have spectacular toning. They definitely need toning to make them collectible.

OINK

• Options
    rec78rec78 Posts: 5,688 ✭✭✭✭✭

I can't take your poll, because I have them all in the grades I collect, except for the 1894-S dime. My sets are complete as far as I am concerned. I don't do updates usually. I try to get the right coin the first time.

• Options
    winestevenwinesteven Posts: 4,057 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited March 9, 2023 9:14PM

@lermish said:
    I'm a type set collector who is happy with his Barbers AND they are proofs so none of the above.

Exactly the same for me. I own only one of each, and happy, so I’m not looking for upgrades. Here’s a hotlink:

https://www.pcgs.com/setregistry/type-sets/design-type-sets/complete-barber-type-set-1892-1916/publishedset/121047

A day without fine wine and working on your coin collection is like a day without sunshine!!!

My collecting “Pride & Joy” is my PCGS Registry Dansco 7070 Set:
    https://www.pcgs.com/setregistry/type-sets/design-type-sets/complete-dansco-7070-modified-type-set-1796-date/publishedset/213996
  • Options
    TomBTomB Posts: 20,730 ✭✭✭✭✭

I'm not going to vote because I don't fit any of the categories!

I'm a BCCS member, have written articles for the BCCS Journal, have won the David Lawrence Literary Award (multiple times) given out by the BCCS, own a few gem and near-gem Barber coins, own many perfect VF/EF coins and am always willing to post about and acquire more Barber pieces...but I don't fit a category!

Thomas Bush Numismatics & Numismatic Photography

In honor of the memory of Cpl. Michael E. Thompson

• Options
    DNADaveDNADave Posts: 7,239 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited March 10, 2023 7:09AM

Spud. I like those Wayte Raymond albums

I guess I’m a casual barber collector. I put them in albums periodically.

• Options
    BillJonesBillJones Posts: 33,481 ✭✭✭✭✭

I have no response because none of the choices fit me. I am a type collector who currently owns three primary coins plus two leftovers, four certified Proofs plus one raw slider.

Retired dealer and avid collector of U.S. type coins, 19th century presidential campaign medalets and selected medals. In recent years I have been working on a set of British coins - at least one coin from each king or queen who issued pieces that are collectible. I am also collecting at least one coin for each Roman emperor from Julius Caesar to ... ?
  • Options
    Project NumismaticsProject Numismatics Posts: 1,334 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Yes, I’m a very active collector. I’m constantly upgrading my set, or otherwise very active (e.g., cherrypicking or collecting by Fivaz-Stanton number; and/or a member of the Barber Coin Collectors’ Society).

Big barber fan here.

• Options
    jedmjedm Posts: 2,940 ✭✭✭✭✭

I did vote, but don't fit the choices exactly. I've done the albums: nickels, dimes, and halves. I'm continuing to upgrade my quarters both raw and certified. I have a few varieties, but wouldn't consider myself a cherry-picker necessarily.

• Options
    TwoSides2aCoinTwoSides2aCoin Posts: 43,839 ✭✭✭✭✭

Yes and no.

Yes, I would love to seriously collect them and do the registry thing. But no....every time I buy some , someone wants them more than me.

• Options
    seanqseanq Posts: 8,575 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Mr_Spud said:
    Both Mrs_Spud and I collect Barber dimes in Wayte Raymond albums. Whenever she upgrades hers I get her older one. Her set is much nicer than mine. I also have an almost complete date set of Barber quarters in a Wayte album too, most are in g to vg that I pulled out of junk silver. These aren’t really my main collecting focus though, but the Barber Dimes are Mrs_Spuds main focus.

If I did start the dimes again, I have an old Wayte Raymond book like this that will house them. The 1896-O in the photo above is the look I love on circulated Barber coinage. If I could find an affordable 95-O that looked like that, I would build the entire set to match it.

Sean Reynolds

Incomplete planchets wanted, especially Lincoln Cents & type coins.

"Keep in mind that most of what passes as numismatic information is no more than tested opinion at best, and marketing blather at worst. However, I try to choose my words carefully, since I know that you guys are always watching." - Joe O'Connor
  • Options
    mirabelamirabela Posts: 4,964 ✭✭✭✭✭

Not sure any of your choices are quite right for me, though I picked option 3. I own one of each denomination, for my type set. It's kind of a weird group. The half is a nice mid-grade example of a significant key date. The other two are nothing special, just decent common mid-grade original coins.

mirabela
  • Options
    JeffMTampaJeffMTampa Posts: 3,261 ✭✭✭✭✭

I love them Barber Halves.....
  • Options
    olympicsosolympicsos Posts: 695 ✭✭✭✭
    No; I don’t collect them at all, and I don’t own any.

Barber's best late 19th century work was standing columbia which the mint director rejected.

• Options
    dbldie55dbldie55 Posts: 7,719 ✭✭✭✭✭

Had all 3 in Dansco's. Was only missing the 01-S Quarter. Sold them almost 20 years ago. Someday I may try to build them again. Still have a few laying around. Seem to collect mostly Barber Nickels.

Collector and Researcher of Liberty Head Nickels. ANA LM-6053
  • Options
    CoinHoarderCoinHoarder Posts: 2,462 ✭✭✭✭✭

I have quite a few certified and raw Barber Half Dollars. But, I am not trying to complete the whole set. When I can find them in my "junk" silver searches, and they are in half way decent shape, I snag them. Here is one of my certified Barber Half Dollars.

• Options
    BillJonesBillJones Posts: 33,481 ✭✭✭✭✭

Retired dealer and avid collector of U.S. type coins, 19th century presidential campaign medalets and selected medals. In recent years I have been working on a set of British coins - at least one coin from each king or queen who issued pieces that are collectible. I am also collecting at least one coin for each Roman emperor from Julius Caesar to ... ?
  • Options
    Walkerguy21DWalkerguy21D Posts: 11,147 ✭✭✭✭✭

I chose the closest category that fit.
    I used to be a pretty active collector of all three series. I sold off the halves during and soon after the Great Recession. I kept after the dimes and quarters for a while, then the dimes went about 10 years ago or so. The quarters were my favorite and were hard to part with. But a good friend and forum member started a collection, and over the course of a year or so he acquired nearly all of mine. The duplicates then went to Liz at a FUN show a couple years ago.
    Now all I have are the 7070 type coins, plus a couple odds and ends.

Successful BST transactions with 170 members. Recent: Tonedeaf, Shane6596, Piano1, Ikenefic, RG, PCGSPhoto, stman, Don'tTelltheWife, Boosibri, Ron1968, snowequities, VTchaser, jrt103, SurfinxHI, 78saen, bp777, FHC, RYK, JTHawaii, Opportunity, Kliao, bigtime36, skanderbeg, split37, thebigeng, acloco, Toninginthblood, OKCC, braddick, Coinflip, robcool, fastfreddie, tightbudget, DBSTrader2, nickelsciolist, relaxn, Eagle eye, soldi, silverman68, ElKevvo, sawyerjosh, Schmitz7, talkingwalnut2, konsole, sharkman987, sniocsu, comma, jesbroken, David1234, biosolar, Sullykerry, Moldnut, erwindoc, MichaelDixon, GotTheBug
  • Options
    TheRavenTheRaven Posts: 4,143 ✭✭✭✭

I am working on and have been working on VG-8/10 Quarter and Half albums for quite a while now. One of my primary things I look for at shows. 12 coins left on the half set and a bit more on the quarters.

I picked up a nice 1902-S Half yesterday for my set.

Very interested in dimes but wanted to get halves completed or almost complete before jumping into that.

Collection under construction: VG Barber Quarters & Halves
  • Options
    BryceMBryceM Posts: 11,732 ✭✭✭✭✭

Unlike many people, I really like the Barber designs. As a type collector, I've tried to just get a few nice ones:

These are Barbers too, technically:

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file