Home U.S. Coin Forum

Lamination mint error

Comments

• FredWeinbergFredWeinberg Posts: 5,719 ✭✭✭✭✭

Sorry – not a lamination or clad layer error.
    The surfaces are environmentally damaged and there appears to be glue or some other substance on the surfaces reverse – it is not an error coin

Retired Collector & Dealer in Major Mint Error Coins & Currency since the 1960's.Co-Author of Whitman's "100 Greatest U.S. Mint Error Coins", and the Error Coin Encyclopedia, Vols., III & IV. Retired Authenticator for Major Mint Errors
    for PCGS. A 49+-Year PNG Member...A full numismatist since 1972, retired in 2022
  • NewEnglandRaritiesNewEnglandRarities Posts: 1,041 ✭✭✭✭

Agree, glue residue and damage.

New England Rarities...Dealer In Colonial Coinage and Americana
  • rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

It looks like glue residue... We have seen several examples of glue on coins here... a soak in acetone will remove it. The PMD will remain though.... Cheers, RickO

• JimnightJimnight Posts: 10,810 ✭✭✭✭✭

What they all said!

• joeykoinsjoeykoins Posts: 14,847 ✭✭✭✭✭

Yep, take it from recent experience.
    ;)

"Jesus died for you and for me, Thank you,Jesus"!!!

--- If it should happen I die and leave this world and you want to remember me. Please only remember my opening Sig Line.
  • dsessomdsessom Posts: 2,212 ✭✭✭✭✭

These forums are where modern mint "errors" come to die. :D

• BLUEJAYWAYBLUEJAYWAY Posts: 8,014 ✭✭✭✭✭

@ricko said:
    It looks like glue residue... We have seen several examples of glue on coins here... a soak in acetone will remove it. The PMD will remain though.... Cheers, RickO

The good news is it will still be worth .25 cents after this treatment. :)

Successful transactions:Tookybandit. "Everyone is equal, some are more equal than others".

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file