Home U.S. Coin Forum

Attempting a new era in my coin hobby life...Live Podcast Tonight! Discussion

joeykoinsjoeykoins Posts: 14,787 ✭✭✭✭✭
edited March 13, 2023 9:05AM in U.S. Coin Forum

Hi guys,
In a word, "Ebay!"
Lol, yes my friends. For the first time, I have decided to be a seller on the Bay. In the past, I have been a buyer but not a seller. Trying to liquidate my inventory the best, quickest and easiest way. Despite all the issues I will face. Fees, uncooperative members and/or any other wrenches that might be hurled at me. Lol. I have tons of coins to sell. From varieties/errors to beautiful BU coins, as well. Including some of the BEST and interesting foreign coins too.
I'm going to start off with my latest cool 2023p Bessie Coleman error!
First of its kind. I searched through Ebay and so far, nobody has my error listed.
What do you guys think about me starting this new endeavor in my life?
Thanks 😊

2023p Bessie Coleman

Strike Through "Burning Plane"

"Jesus died for you and for me, Thank you,Jesus"!!!

--- If it should happen I die and leave this world and you want to remember me. Please only remember my opening Sig Line.

Comments

• 291fifth291fifth Posts: 23,898 ✭✭✭✭✭

Sell, sell, sell!!!

All glory is fleeting.
  • bagofnickelsbagofnickels Posts: 349 ✭✭✭✭

I started selling my duplicates and stuff I no longer wanted on eBay about a year ago. I haven't had many issues really. I just try to maintain a solid level of transparency in my listings. Wishing you good luck in your endeavor.

• jesbrokenjesbroken Posts: 9,151 ✭✭✭✭✭

You go, Joey. Been selling since 2004 with very minimal problems.
    Jim

When a man who is honestly mistaken hears the truth, he will either quit being mistaken or cease to be honest....Abraham Lincoln

Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it.....Mark Twain
  • Jzyskowski1Jzyskowski1 Posts: 6,651 ✭✭✭✭✭

Good luck Joey.
    All the best on your new venture. I’m sure you will do fine.

🎶 shout shout, let it all out 🎶

• JW77JW77 Posts: 451 ✭✭✭✭✭

Please no, Not the Chunky Monkeys :#

• joeykoinsjoeykoins Posts: 14,787 ✭✭✭✭✭

@291fifth said:
    Sell, sell, sell!!!

Trying, Trying, Trying.
    :D

--- If it should happen I die and leave this world and you want to remember me. Please only remember my opening Sig Line.
    edited March 6, 2023 4:09PM

Thank You ALL for the great support and advice.
    <3

Placed 2 items up already.

Both 2023p Bessie Coleman quarters
    ;)

• Mr_SpudMr_Spud Posts: 4,353 ✭✭✭✭✭

Good luck, I like the burning plane nickname

Mr_Spud

• goodmoney4badmoneygoodmoney4badmoney Posts: 1,109 ✭✭✭✭

Good luck on your endeavors. I sold off 98% of my holdings several years ago. I recently got into paper currency collecting and I’m having a great time, change is good sometimes.

• JW77JW77 Posts: 451 ✭✭✭✭✭

@joeykoins said:
    Thank You ALL for the great support and advice.
    <3

Placed 2 items up already.

Both 2023p Bessie Coleman quarters
    ;)

inform us on some of your EBAY posts with us on BST so we can check them out!

• JimnightJimnight Posts: 10,765 ✭✭✭✭✭

It's easy, stay honest and you'll do just fine.

• ms71ms71 Posts: 1,459 ✭✭✭✭✭

Keep detailed records. Come early next year, you'll be getting a 1099 form from ebay totaling all your 2023 sales if they come to more than $600 for the year.

Successful BST transactions: EagleEye, Christos, Proofmorgan,
    Coinlearner, Ahrensdad, Nolawyer, RG, coinlieutenant, Yorkshireman, lordmarcovan, Soldi, masscrew, JimTyler, Relaxn, jclovescoins

Now listen boy, I'm tryin' to teach you sumthin' . . . . that ain't an optical illusion, it only looks like an optical illusion.

My mind reader refuses to charge me....
  • pmh1nicpmh1nic Posts: 3,125 ✭✭✭✭✭

Good luck.

The longer I live the more convincing proofs I see of this truth, that God governs in the affairs of men. And if a sparrow cannot fall to the ground without His notice is it possible for an empire to rise without His aid? Benjamin Franklin
  • lkeneficlkenefic Posts: 7,740 ✭✭✭✭✭

Best of luck! I've been an on-again off- again seller on ebay for quite some time with minimal issues...

Collecting: Dansco 7070; Middle Date Large Cents (VF-AU); Box of 20;

Successful BST transactions with: SilverEagles92; Ahrensdad; Smitty; GregHansen; Lablade; Mercury10c; copperflopper; whatsup; KISHU1; scrapman1077, crispy, canadanz, smallchange, robkool, Mission16, ranshdow, ibzman350, Fallguy, Collectorcoins, SurfinxHI, jwitten, Walkerguy21D, dsessom.
  • rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

@joeykoins... Best of luck in your new endeavor... Next step, open your own coin shop and establish yourself as a dealer. ;):D Cheers, RickO

• crazyhounddogcrazyhounddog Posts: 13,776 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Walkerlover said:

@ironmanl63 said:
    Best advice I could give is if you want top dollar take the best photos possible. If you are using the photos above you will leave money on the table. Good luck!

I am surprised at the poor quality pictures people post on EBay. How do they expect to sell their coins. Although some people I believe purposely use blurry or off lighting to disguise flaws and other issues that their coins have.

I 100% agree with that statement. I see people showing coins for sale that are just enough out of focus you can’t see what you’re looking for. I pass on those coins every time, especially when their feedback shows unhappiness with prior sales. Yes, take the very best pics you can. It makes all the difference in the world.
    Good luck with your new venture my coin brother. I’m rooting for ya,
    Joe

The bitterness of "Poor Quality" is remembered long after the sweetness of low price is forgotten.
  • Namvet69Namvet69 Posts: 8,620 ✭✭✭✭✭

What's the link to your site! Gotta save you as a seller. Good luck. Peace Roy

BST: endeavor1967, synchr, kliao, Outhaul, Donttellthewife, U1Chicago, ajaan, mCarney1173, SurfinHi, MWallace, Sandman70gt, mustanggt, Pittstate03, Lazybones, Walkerguy21D, coinandcurrency242 , thebigeng, Collectorcoins, JimTyler, USMarine6, Elkevvo, Coll3ctor, Yorkshireman, CUKevin, ranshdow, CoinHunter4, bennybravo, Centsearcher, braddick, Windycity, ZoidMeister, mirabela, JJM, RichURich, Bullsitter, jmski52

• BarberianBarberian Posts: 2,977 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited March 7, 2023 1:01PM

Good luck with eBay sales. Post some of your progress in this endeavor.

3 rim nicks away from Good
  • Project NumismaticsProject Numismatics Posts: 1,317 ✭✭✭✭✭

I find selling on eBay to be pretty enjoyable and hope you will as well.

In my experience so far, there are far more awesome customers and sellers on eBay than bad apples. People have written me notes, sent me free coins and been incredibly understanding the few times I have messed up. I’ve had 2 bad experiences so far and haven’t lost money as a result of either.

Good luck and have fun!

• dhikewhitneydhikewhitney Posts: 359 ✭✭✭

“What do you guys think about me starting this new endeavor in my life?”
    Good idea as long as you don’t expect to profit (much) by it; liquidate at broad public auction market price and pay fees and shipping cost (plus time packaging and shipping).

• jmlanzafjmlanzaf Posts: 31,613 ✭✭✭✭✭

@winesteven said:
    I suggest you keep the following in the back of your mind: After a while, to avoid the hassle, fees, shipping expenses, etc., of eBay selling, consider sending a bunch of coins to GC. Yes, for coins selling for less than $1,000 you’ll get hit with a 5% fee and you’ll get just the hammer price, which buyers usually reduce to take into account their bp. So if it costs you 15% overall, that’s not too different than what you’ll incur on eBay when you take into account your shipping fees and supplies. You’ll save a ton of time, and your time has value. You’ll also avoid the risks of the occasional crazy or sleazy/crooked buyers.

Just a thought.

Steve

There's also the set up charge. So for coins under $100, the cost is 20%. EBay costs with a store are under 9%. FWIW

• winestevenwinesteven Posts: 4,004 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited March 8, 2023 6:41AM

@jmlanzaf said:

@winesteven said:
    I suggest you keep the following in the back of your mind: After a while, to avoid the hassle, fees, shipping expenses, etc., of eBay selling, consider sending a bunch of coins to GC. Yes, for coins selling for less than $1,000 you’ll get hit with a 5% fee and you’ll get just the hammer price, which buyers usually reduce to take into account their bp. So if it costs you 15% overall, that’s not too different than what you’ll incur on eBay when you take into account your shipping fees and supplies. You’ll save a ton of time, and your time has value. You’ll also avoid the risks of the occasional crazy or sleazy/crooked buyers.

Just a thought.

Steve

There's also the set up charge. So for coins under $100, the cost is 20%. EBay costs with a store are under 9%. FWIW

Thanks. I seem to recall with eBay that sellers that offer free shipping and free returns do better with sales than those that don't. Building in the cost of shipping and the supplies to a coin under $100 might make the fixed price offer less competitive. Does the 9% include shipping charges? Supplies? What would your estimate be the additional monthly store cost to be for a low volume seller?

I believe he should indeed give eBay a shot. That's why I suggested he keep the so much simpler alternative in the back of his mind. My guess is the rate of returns on eBay when they are allowed is a lot higher than the rate of returns at GC. GC is absolutely no hassle, and a great time saver. We each decide for ourselves the value of our time. After a period of time, he will decide for himself, just as I decided for myself.

Steve

A day without fine wine and working on your coin collection is like a day without sunshine!!!

My collecting “Pride & Joy” is my PCGS Registry Dansco 7070 Set:
    https://www.pcgs.com/setregistry/type-sets/design-type-sets/complete-dansco-7070-modified-type-set-1796-date/publishedset/213996

Many good points.

Thanks for taking the time.

Steve

A day without fine wine and working on your coin collection is like a day without sunshine!!!

https://www.pcgs.com/setregistry/type-sets/design-type-sets/complete-dansco-7070-modified-type-set-1796-date/publishedset/213996
  • JBKJBK Posts: 14,637 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited March 8, 2023 9:41AM

When you sell your YouTube winnings on ebay you will need to establish a cost-basis for the IRS since you'll likely be getting a 1099K form.

Will you report the cost basis as the cost of the specific "race" that you won it in, or will you include all the money spent on unsuccessful "races" as well? :/:p

:o

• vplite99vplite99 Posts: 1,175 ✭✭✭✭✭

Your listings look good, good luck!

Vplite99
  • 2windy2fish2windy2fish Posts: 793 ✭✭✭✭✭

Please correct me if i’m wrong but i thought GC will only sell certified coins?
    Or the will get them certified for you..

• WQuarterFreddieWQuarterFreddie Posts: 2,548 ✭✭✭✭✭

Good luck. Be prepared that Ebay will hold your money hostage for over 2 weeks even after your item has been received and positive feedback has been posted by the buyer🙄

• Steven59Steven59 Posts: 8,260 ✭✭✭✭✭

When you start coming up with names to describe the minting process errors it's time to take a break - :D

"When they can't find anything wrong with you, they create it!"

edited March 8, 2023 6:59PM

@WQuarterFreddie said:
    Good luck. Be prepared that Ebay will hold your money hostage for over 2 weeks even after your item has been received and positive feedback has been posted by the buyer🙄

Huh? I get my money in 24 hours. Always...well, except weekends. What are you referring to?

• WQuarterFreddieWQuarterFreddie Posts: 2,548 ✭✭✭✭✭

@jmlanzaf said:

@WQuarterFreddie said:

Huh? I get my money in 24 hours. Always...well, except weekends. What are you referring to?

New sellers get punished...I understand the need to protect the buyers but once tracking documents delivery and the buyer posts positive feedback those funds should be immediately released off hold but they are not...Joey will find this out.😎

I feel it's a money grab by Ebay holding customer's money for interest or cash flow purposes. 😤

• vplite99vplite99 Posts: 1,175 ✭✭✭✭✭

@winesteven said:

Just a thought.

Steve

The OP does not sell GC material.

Vplite99
  • tommy44tommy44 Posts: 2,190 ✭✭✭✭✭

I wish you success on your new endeavor Joey. I've been selling all kinds of things including coins on eBay since 1997 and find the overwhelming majority of buyers as honest folks. Once you get the hang of it it's a piece of cake. Almost as much fun seeing who buys what as is was buying the stuff in the first place.

it's crackers to slip a rozzer the dropsy in snide

@vplite99 said:

@winesteven said:

Just a thought.

Steve

Ok, I did not know that. I thought he’s selling slabbed coins, and I also thought that GC accepts those.

• daltexdaltex Posts: 3,477 ✭✭✭✭✭

@joeykoins Are you selling fixed price or auctions?

• GiveMeProofGiveMeProof Posts: 563 ✭✭✭✭

A lot of errors on those Bessies. Are they true DDO and DDR or machine doubling? Can't find Joey, link please?

@GiveMeProof said:
    A lot of errors on those Bessies. Are they true DDO and DDR or machine doubling? Can't find Joey, link please?

https://www.ebay.com/usr/jo-205707

edited March 9, 2023 4:24AM

I think Joey is about to find out the limited interest in named minor strike through.

@daltex said:
    @joeykoins Are you selling fixed price or auctions?

Both

edited March 9, 2023 4:26AM

@winesteven said:

@vplite99 said:

@winesteven said:

Just a thought.

Steve

Ok, I did not know that. I thought he’s selling slabbed coins, and I also thought that GC accepts those.

He has 2 slabs listed but they are the under $50 variety.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file