Home U.S. Coin Forum

Conservation - Before and After

wozymodowozymodo Posts: 138 ✭✭✭
edited March 5, 2023 3:09PM in U.S. Coin Forum

Recently mailed (02-16-23) my SAC dollar struck on clad quarter planchet to NGC/NCS for crossover (any grade) and conservation. Received back today. Thoughts? Opinions?

Tagged:

Comments

  • 1madman1madman Posts: 1,113 ✭✭✭✭✭

    Beautiful coin! MS66

  • PerryHallPerryHall Posts: 44,823 ✭✭✭✭✭

    Where did that black stuff under the eagle come from? Otherwise, it looks like they did a great job. Did the grade change when you crossed it?

    Worry is the interest you pay on a debt you may not owe.

  • 1madman1madman Posts: 1,113 ✭✭✭✭✭

    @PerryHall said:
    Where did that black stuff under the eagle come from? Otherwise, it looks like they did a great job. Did the grade change when you crossed it?

    The “black stuff” is a rub

  • Namvet69Namvet69 Posts: 8,374 ✭✭✭✭✭

    Looks pretty clean, although the toning hid the black spots on her neck. Did it come back as a 66?

    BST: endeavor1967, synchr, kliao, Outhaul, Donttellthewife, U1Chicago, ajaan, mCarney1173, SurfinHi, MWallace, Sandman70gt, Ricko, mustanggt, Pittstate03, Lazybones, Walkerguy21D, coinandcurrency242 , thebigeng, Collectorcoins, JimTyler, USMarine6, Elkevvo, Coll3ctor, Yorkshireman, CUKevin, ranshdow, Jzyskowski1, CoinHunter4, bennybravo, Centsearcher, braddick, Windycity, ZoidMeister, mirabela, JJM, RichURich

  • braddickbraddick Posts: 22,494 ✭✭✭✭✭

    I like it.
    Overall, it looks better- like what a clad quarter in GEM condition would look like.

    peacockcoins

  • wozymodowozymodo Posts: 138 ✭✭✭

    @PerryHall said:
    Where did that black stuff under the eagle come from? Otherwise, it looks like they did a great job. Did the grade change when you crossed it?

    Some type of die flaw (lighting angle). Took a big chance, but was PCGS 67 now NGC 67.

  • wozymodowozymodo Posts: 138 ✭✭✭

    @Namvet69 said:
    Looks pretty clean, although the toning hid the black spots on her neck. Did it come back as a 66?

    Actually small hits (once again lighting angle).

  • MaywoodMaywood Posts: 1,545 ✭✭✭✭✭

    Yeah, the neck spots are visible in both images and the black spot just looks like a scuff and can be seen in both images. I don't think it looks better or worse in either image, so I'd call it a wash since it crossed at the same grade.

  • wozymodowozymodo Posts: 138 ✭✭✭

    Whatever the mark under the eagle is, it shows up on other examples from past auctions. AS if they were "made" at the same time.

  • PerryHallPerryHall Posts: 44,823 ✭✭✭✭✭

    @wozymodo said:
    I hesitate to show these images because many would prefer the Before. But, trust me, it was dull and brown and now it's Beautiful!

    I agree. It is greatly improved. Some consider "dull and brown" to be "character" but it hurts the eye appeal of a modern coin. B)

    Worry is the interest you pay on a debt you may not owe.

  • wozymodowozymodo Posts: 138 ✭✭✭

    @MFeld said:
    I prefer the “before”, as it shows character and is distinct-looking.

    I respect your opinions and sure do wish I had sought them before purchase! :) For me the golden Hue looked too much like a golden dollar, defeating the purpose.

  • MFeldMFeld Posts: 11,048 ✭✭✭✭✭

    @wozymodo said:

    @MFeld said:
    I prefer the “before”, as it shows character and is distinct-looking.

    I respect your opinions and sure do wish I had sought them before purchase! :) For me the golden Hue looked too much like a golden dollar, defeating the purpose.

    It’s just a personal preference and my guess is that a majority would prefer the “after”. Additionally, I think you raised an excellent point about the “before” appearance defeating the purpose.👍

    Mark Feld* of Heritage Auctions*Unless otherwise noted, my posts here represent my personal opinions.

  • 1madman1madman Posts: 1,113 ✭✭✭✭✭

    I’m intrigued as to why you did the conservation with NGC since it was in a pcgs holder?

    It’s rather difficult to get pcgs to grade sac errors ms67, so they clearly liked this coin originally. I would have let pcgs conserve it, and see if it would have bumped up to a 67+ or a 68. If it came back as a 67 again, then I’d have crossed to NGC if I had to have it in that holder.

  • jt88jt88 Posts: 2,703 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited March 5, 2023 4:33PM

    I like the NGC insert it put the weight information on it.

  • MWallaceMWallace Posts: 3,678 ✭✭✭✭✭

    @jt88 said:
    I like the NGC insert it put the weight information on it.

    They always do on wrong planchets, blanks, planchets, split planchets, clips, etc. Very helpful info.

  • wozymodowozymodo Posts: 138 ✭✭✭
    edited March 18, 2023 8:18AM

    @1madman said:
    I’m intrigued as to why you did the conservation with NGC since it was in a pcgs holder?

    It’s rather difficult to get pcgs to grade sac errors ms67, so they clearly liked this coin originally. I would have let pcgs conserve it, and see if it would have bumped up to a 67+ or a 68. If it came back as a 67 again, then I’d have crossed to NGC if I had to have it in that holder.

    Already a member of NGC before joining this forum a few months ago (not yet a member of PCGS). Also have a registry set of Errors I'm working on at NGC.
    https://coins.www.collectors-society.com/wcm/CoinCustomSetGallery.aspx?s=32613
    I'm sure PCGS conservation would have done excellent as well.

  • spacehaydukespacehayduke Posts: 5,053 ✭✭✭✭✭

    @MFeld said:
    I prefer the “before”, as it shows character and is distinct-looking.

    I agree and apologize to the OP for this, but I like the originality of the 'before' (sorry)...........


    Successful transactions with-Boosibri,lkeigwin,TomB,Broadstruck,coinsarefun,Type2,jom,ProfLiz, UltraHighRelief,Barndog,EXOJUNKIE,ldhair,fivecents,paesan,Crusty...
    Everyman Bust Quarters
    Early Quarters
    CAC Capped Bust Quarters
    CAC Barber Quarters
  • rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

    @wozymodo.... Nice coin.... Is there a backstory to where you acquired this? Purchased as an error or lucky find? Cheers, RickO

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Image
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file