Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

Hello, I have always been fascinated by the Mint made silver plugged 1795 FH $1, Photo added 3/6/23

RobertScotLoverRobertScotLover Posts: 595 ✭✭✭✭
edited March 6, 2023 10:24PM in U.S. Coin Forum

while I am awaiting my recent acquisition, can any of the members possibly show theirs. And possibly have discussion on the subject.
Much appreciated.

Comments

• Options
    jayPemjayPem Posts: 4,042 ✭✭✭✭✭

Make sure to post your acquisition when it arrives!

• Options
    TomBTomB Posts: 20,730 ✭✭✭✭✭

@jayPem said:
    Make sure to post your acquisition when it arrives!

Yes, please post images.

Thomas Bush Numismatics & Numismatic Photography

In honor of the memory of Cpl. Michael E. Thompson

• Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

@RobertScotLover... Welcome aboard. The silver plugged coins are interesting. I do not have one, but have seen them at coin shows when I lived in the PNW. Please show us yours when it arrives. Cheers, RickO

• Options
    johnny010johnny010 Posts: 1,085 ✭✭✭✭✭

Cheers and welcome!
    Looking forward to your coin post.

• Options

Holed & creative:
    why is it the only one you will ever own?
    It doesn't appear that the solver plug can be knocked out in any way. Maybe the puncture at 12 on the obv for jewelry can be punched out but not the silver plug?

• Options
    HigashiyamaHigashiyama Posts: 2,152 ✭✭✭✭✭

Perhaps that is the unique post-mint holed silver plug dollar?

Higashiyama
  • Options

Haven't seen such a perfectly round silver plug before and although it is a 3 leaf I cannot tell if it is the right die marriage although I assume all is proper. It is an interesting piece for sure.

• Options

Bill,
    the silver plug is NOT limited to one variety, I believe it is limited to 5 die marriages.

• Options
    edited March 6, 2023 10:29PM

Photo was added tonight, sorry for such a bad photo of the obv and tiny photo of the rev..
    See 1st post.

• Options
    NysotoNysoto Posts: 3,767 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited March 7, 2023 9:03AM

Thanks for posting the photo, a lot of detail on the coin in an unattributed fatty.

Robert Scot: Engraving Liberty - biography of US Mint's first chief engraver
  • Options

I recently received the 1795FH and was extremely pleased with it. It is "au natural" probably kept in a leather purse/wallet for 50-100 years by the type of toning it has. The outline of the plug is much more pronounced in hand or when I personally photograph it on my 1phone X.

• Options
    NysotoNysoto Posts: 3,767 ✭✭✭✭✭

Congrats, glad you like the coin in hand. Is this a new specimen of a silver plug that was not previously known? The old NGC holder did not call it out, and the cataloger didn't attribute it with the plug.

Robert Scot: Engraving Liberty - biography of US Mint's first chief engraver
  • Options

@Nysoto said:
    Congrats, glad you like the coin in hand. Is this a new specimen of a silver plug that was not previously known? The old NGC holder did not call it out, and the cataloger didn't attribute it with the plug.

The silver plug variety wasn't publicly written about until 1993, the holder is from the late 1980's so it wouldn't have been attributed or generally and/or particularly known about at that time. It also appears that the consignor wasn't aware of this being a silver plug or he/she would have notified the auction house of that fact. So since it wasn't noticed by the auction house probably due to too many consignments which is understandable it wasn't mentioned..
    My particular theory is that the consignor must have passed away recently and his/her heirs put the coin in auction not knowing (the collector left no notes) what they had and like I mentioned the auction house went along with what was on the holder without having the time to inspect it close enough and relying on the label all due to lack of time, which is completely understandable given the number of lots in any internet auction.
    Lastly the toning of the coin was on the dark side making further identification a bit more challenging since the toning of the plug which is typical of plugs sort of matched the toning of the coin in general.
    Which resulted in my good fortune I guess one can say.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file