Home U.S. Coin Forum

Fake 14 D cent “false dies” on pcgs label informational post

Coin FinderCoin Finder Posts: 6,944 ✭✭✭✭✭

Submitted for a friend, as you can see I was very skeptical but he insisted. Weights right , right diameter.

Comments

• ElcontadorElcontador Posts: 7,412 ✭✭✭✭✭

This is an altered 44 D, and not a good one at that.

"Vou invadir o Nordeste,
    "Seu cabra da peste,
    "Sou Mangueira......."
  • Coin FinderCoin Finder Posts: 6,944 ✭✭✭✭✭

The “ false dies” would indicate otherwise…

• burfle23burfle23 Posts: 2,177 ✭✭✭✭✭

I'm lost! Where does it say PCGS called it from "false dies"? I actually have a counterfeit large cent in a labeled body bag with cert number from PCGS as false dies.

Your friend's compared to the 5 known genuine dies; would make his from pretty shabby fake ones B) ...

False dies is what it says on the body bag….. What’s so funny? It doesn’t say altered date…..

• rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

Looks like an altered date.... Not sure how 'false dies' was determined. Cheers, RickO

PCGS determined "false dies"...... The coin in hand has no sign or tooling or polishing around the date. The picture isn't that good so I understand the comments above. I have seen many altered date 14 d cents. This one is different. The 1 actually has a bit of shelf doubling toward the top where it is curved. My friend wants me to send it to Anacs, I told him it would be a waste of money.

• JBKJBK Posts: 14,640 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited February 28, 2023 9:09AM

@Coin Finder said:
    PCGS determined "false dies".

My friend wants me to send it to Anacs.

Hmmm. Is your friend trying to cheat people? 🤔

You were skeptical about it, and PCGS rejected it. What's the purpose of now submitting to ANACS? Is he going to keep shopping it around until he gets the answer he wants? :/

• telephoto1telephoto1 Posts: 4,713 ✭✭✭✭✭

Asian fake from fake dies. Not hard to understand

RIP Mom- 1932-2012

"You were skeptical about it, and PCGS rejected it. What's the purpose of now submitting to ANACS? Is he going to keep shopping it around until he gets the answer he wants? :/"

No, I talked him out of it. The post was intended to inform people. it has turned into something else.. fine...

He is a very good friend and I have submitted hundreds of coins for him.. More to come. I gave it back..

I hope some people learned something.

• dcarrdcarr Posts: 7,936 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited February 28, 2023 12:11PM

If it was a 1944-D altered to "1914-D" (which is typical) then the mint mark would be the large 1944 style, not the pre-1933 small type like the coin shown.

So I don't think it is an altered date piece. But both of the 1s in the date are too tall. So I think it was struck from false dies that were made by transfer from a genuine coin. But that model coin probably wasn't a 1914, so the transfer die was modified to have the "1914" date.

• burfle23burfle23 Posts: 2,177 ✭✭✭✭✭

This one is correctly identified as false dies:

• bearcavebearcave Posts: 3,993 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited March 1, 2023 12:49PM

This is a real one, if you can see it.

Ken

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file