Home U.S. Coin Forum

Side-by-side comparison of 1892-S Morgans

anablepanablep Posts: 5,027 ✭✭✭✭✭

I received my 1892-S XF45 upgrade from Harry Laibstain Rare Coins last week, which will replace the XF40 CAC coin. A few forum members wanted to see both coins once they were in-hand. Have a look below and feel free to comment. Thanks for looking.

Always looking for attractive rim toned Morgan and Peace dollars in PCGS or (older) ANA/ANACS holders!

"Bongo hurtles along the rain soaked highway of life on underinflated bald retread tires."

~Wayne

Comments

• coastaljerseyguycoastaljerseyguy Posts: 1,243 ✭✭✭✭✭

Thanks for sharing. Both very nice coins. While the 45 has less wear, cleaner, and more apparent luster, it also has what appears to be rougher circulation wear on obv. Maybe the circulation dirt on the 40 kept its surface from getting marked up, or at least hides it better. Since my coins are in a Dansco, I like the patina of the 40 better, but would be happy with either.

• pursuitoflibertypursuitofliberty Posts: 6,592 ✭✭✭✭✭

While I like the overall look of the 40 better (my personal taste), it's easy to see the grade difference through the apparent luster and slightly less wear. Both tough coins, and it I remember the other thread, the new one fits your set better.

Congrat's!

“We are only their care-takers,” he posed, “if we take good care of them, then centuries from now they may still be here … ”

Todd - BHNC #242
  • LeeBoneLeeBone Posts: 4,307 ✭✭✭✭✭

I like ‘em both ✌🏻

• johnny010johnny010 Posts: 1,084 ✭✭✭✭✭

Dip the 40?

Love them both.

• marcmoishmarcmoish Posts: 6,221 ✭✭✭✭✭

I like the 40 better, looks obviously not played with, and original.

Not fond of the 45, jmho.

• skier07skier07 Posts: 3,681 ✭✭✭✭✭

I prefer the lower grade one and it looks more original to me.

• vplite99vplite99 Posts: 1,180 ✭✭✭✭✭

Great coins, the 45 is more to my taste.

Thanks for posting!

Vplite99
  • anablepanablep Posts: 5,027 ✭✭✭✭✭

Thanks for all the comments everyone. The XF40 certainly has character and has been a fun key-date coin to own.

Here is the TV image of the new XF45. Thanks again for looking.

Always looking for attractive rim toned Morgan and Peace dollars in PCGS or (older) ANA/ANACS holders!

"Bongo hurtles along the rain soaked highway of life on underinflated bald retread tires."

~Wayne
  • raysrays Posts: 2,328 ✭✭✭✭✭

The 45 is more desirable, imo because of the nice luster. The 40 appears lifeless.

• RollermanRollerman Posts: 1,840 ✭✭✭✭✭

I like your TV image, I wouldn't be surprised to see it in an AU 50 holder.

"Ain't None of Them play like him (Bix Beiderbecke) Yet."
    Louis Armstrong
  • dsessomdsessom Posts: 2,212 ✭✭✭✭✭

Both are very nice. Thank you for sharing!

• BarberianBarberian Posts: 3,038 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited February 26, 2023 9:09PM

Rim dings are desirable?

3 rim nicks away from Good
  • MrBlusterMrBluster Posts: 320 ✭✭✭

They both have great eye appeal. The xf45 has a nice luster for the grade.

• rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

@anablep... Nice coins and good pictures. Will you send the XF45 to CAC?? Cheers, RickO

• coinhackcoinhack Posts: 1,131 ✭✭✭✭

@anablep

Beautiful upgrade. Your XF40 coin is a very nice and original looking coin. A good coin for the grade and for the set.

But your new XF45 coin is superior in every way. It has some remaining original mint luster. The details in the hair, the feathers, the wreath, etc. are a full grade better. And it has some soft subtle and pretty toning.

The 45 is a really nice coin with what appears to be full AU details. In fact, I believe it has a very good shot at an upgrade.

Congratulations on your new coin.

• Eric_BabulaEric_Babula Posts: 413 ✭✭✭✭

Seeing the two side-by-side in their holders, I'd personally lean toward the XF-40 CAC. Now, I'm not seeing them in hand, nor blown up showing just the coins, so YMMV. But, even though the XF-45 obviously exhibits more luster, some nice toning, and slightly better defined details, my eye is drawn more to the XF-40. In the side-by-side comparison pic, it appears that 45 has quite a bit more nicks and chatter on the cheek and the field in front of the face which is distracting to me, making me lean toward the 40. I honestly believe both of them would have a chance to upgrade on the right day with the right person reviewing, if resubmitted. I'd be more confident that the 40 could go to 45, though, than the 45 getting a 50.

Each has their own thoughts on what makes a more beautiful coin. And, in hand, it may be more obvious that the 45 has more eye appeal. @anablep - if you are happier looking at one over the other, keep that one. Or, keep them both! I think you have two very nice coins there and you should be happy to have them! Good job!!!

Rocking my "shiny-object-syndrome"!!!

• anablepanablep Posts: 5,027 ✭✭✭✭✭

@ricko No, I won't be submitting it to CAC. Not really interested in that service personally.

@DelawareDoons Not sure about surface stripping, as the coin has plenty of original luster in the protected areas around the devices, but if you can spot areas that look stripped on my coin, I'd love to hear your opinion.

~Wayne
  • DelawareDoonsDelawareDoons Posts: 3,241 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited February 27, 2023 9:45PM

@anablep said:
    @ricko No, I won't be submitting it to CAC. Not really interested in that service personally.

@DelawareDoons Not sure about surface stripping, as the coin has plenty of original luster in the protected areas around the devices, but if you can spot areas that look stripped on my coin, I'd love to hear your opinion.

Whole coins too white, been dipped probably. XF's shouldn't look like that, they should have considerable "crust".

I'd encourage you to hit your local shop, find a nice xf morgan with trace luster in the peripherals, and dip it. It'll probably turn out pretty close to your 45 in terms of overall look.

It's easy to dip coins and maintain luster. When I said stripped, I meant stripped of its original surfaces, not stripped of luster.

EDIT: Dollars to donuts, the XF45 will never, ever CAC as is.

Professional Numismatist. "It's like God, Family, Country, except Sticker, Plastic, Coin."

• Dave99BDave99B Posts: 8,354 ✭✭✭✭✭

Toughies! Great 92-S dollars, but I much prefer the 'look' of the XF40.

Dave

Always looking for original, better date VF20-VF35 Barber quarters and halves, and a quality beer.
  • jedmjedm Posts: 2,939 ✭✭✭✭✭

I'm totally a believer in the "collect what appeals to you" credo. This is a great thread which allows us to view both coins side by side. My taste runs towards the XF40 look, but that in itself takes nothing away from your recent addition at all. Enjoy!

• TPRCTPRC Posts: 3,739 ✭✭✭✭✭

I very much prefer the 40.

Tom

• coastaljerseyguycoastaljerseyguy Posts: 1,243 ✭✭✭✭✭

@DelawareDoons said:

@anablep said:

Whole coins too white, been dipped probably. XF's shouldn't look like that, they should have considerable "crust".

I'd encourage you to hit your local shop, find a nice xf morgan with trace luster in the peripherals, and dip it. It'll probably turn out pretty close to your 45 in terms of overall look.

It's easy to dip coins and maintain luster. When I said stripped, I meant stripped of its original surfaces, not stripped of luster.

EDIT: Dollars to donuts, the XF45 will never, ever CAC as is.

I'm with you on this 98% of the time. XF coins from the S, CC, and O mints should have crust and dirt. Folks out west & down south mainly worked with their hands for a living; farmers, ranchers, miners, cattle drivers, blacksmiths, etc. Their coins should reflect that living. When I see a white XF and lower grade Morgan from these mints I think the history of the coin has been stripped away. Now there are exceptions & why I said 98%. But I think of a cattle drives where it took a couple of months to get from Texas to Kansas slaughter houses and folks slept outside. Or folks just going out west for a better living, maybe free land and traveled for weeks by horse. Coins should look like that living, not coins from Philadelphia where folks primarily worked in factories and went home every night. End of rant. ;)

• Project NumismaticsProject Numismatics Posts: 1,333 ✭✭✭✭✭

Unfortunately I share @DelawareDoons opinion. The 45 has been dipped and stripped and I personally wouldn’t purchase it. The 40 is a great coin. That said, if the rest of your set is bright white, the 45 will keep the look of the collection more consistent and it does have less wear. Just a matter of preference and buying what you like!

• RobertScotLoverRobertScotLover Posts: 584 ✭✭✭✭

@Project Numismatics said:
    Unfortunately I share @DelawareDoons opinion. The 45 has been dipped and stripped and I personally wouldn’t purchase it. The 40 is a great coin. That said, if the rest of your set is bright white, the 45 will keep the look of the collection more consistent and it does have less wear. Just a matter of preference and buying what you like!

I completely agree with the above statement.

• Riley1955Riley1955 Posts: 136 ✭✭✭

I like them both.

• 1madman1madman Posts: 1,288 ✭✭✭✭✭

Is the xf40 for sale? PM me if so.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file