Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

Have You Ever Gotten a Chance to Buy a Coin You Never Thought You'd Own?

FlyingAlFlyingAl Posts: 2,845 ✭✭✭✭✭
edited February 25, 2023 6:35PM in U.S. Coin Forum

This happened to me a few days ago and I can't be happier with the coin! This is one of those pieces where I really didn't have to think much, and just went for it. You see it and pretty much say "yes please". For those astute forum members, yes this coin was previously owned by @Eldorado9. It's a monster that he and I both love.

The 1908 quarter had a tiny mintage of 545 in proof, so there's not much selection when it comes to eye appeal. Eldo and I both unhesitatingly say this coin is in the top five of 1908 proof quarters for eye appeal, though we think it is probably top two if not the best. I haven't seen a more attractive one.

I'll let the coin speak for itself, it's a PR65+ CAC. It looks exactly like the TrueView in hand, and certainly looks much better than a 65+.

Video, but it can't really capture the vibrance of the color. The TrueView is actually much more accurate to the coin. I almost considered not posting the video because it made the coin look really dull (it's anything but), but it does show the fantastic surfaces.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EYMJ45a-O5I&feature=youtu.be

Share your coins that fit the thread title if you've got them!

Young Numismatist, Coin Photographer.

Comments

• Options
    Project NumismaticsProject Numismatics Posts: 1,333 ✭✭✭✭✭

Thanks for the video - the coin looked great in the video. This is the stuff numismatic dreams are made of - congrats!

• Options
    CatbertCatbert Posts: 6,603 ✭✭✭✭✭

Wow what a super coin. Just gorgeous. Well done!

"Got a flaming heart, can't get my fill"
  • Options
    BoosibriBoosibri Posts: 11,867 ✭✭✭✭✭

Congrats! I’ve had a few which I never thought I’d own but here they are!

• Options
    MFeldMFeld Posts: 12,035 ✭✭✭✭✭

Congratulations - I’m thrilled for you.

Mark Feld* of Heritage Auctions*Unless otherwise noted, my posts here represent my personal opinions.

• Options
    TomBTomB Posts: 20,729 ✭✭✭✭✭

That is spectacular! I'm very happy for you and thrilled to see folks like @Eldorado9 participate on these boards. What a coin!

Thomas Bush Numismatics & Numismatic Photography

In honor of the memory of Cpl. Michael E. Thompson

• Options
    MidLifeCrisisMidLifeCrisis Posts: 10,519 ✭✭✭✭✭

Congratulations! Very cool!

• Options
    DisneyFanDisneyFan Posts: 1,693 ✭✭✭✭✭

Congratulations on discovering Barber proofs. I'm excited for you. It's so difficult to find Barbers that have that out of this world look. Pictures, even TrueViews, do not do them justice. One often finds pictures that look like the one below making the coin appear very dark. That is not at all what these coins look like. .

In the case of your 1908, would you describe the fields as watery?
    And are you now branching out to Barber proofs? : )

• Options
    Shane6596Shane6596 Posts: 759 ✭✭✭✭✭

Jaw dropping. Thats a toners dream coin.

Successful BST transactions with....Coinslave87, ChrisH821, Walkerguy21D, SanctionII.......................Received "You Suck" award 02/18/23

• Options
    FlyingAlFlyingAl Posts: 2,845 ✭✭✭✭✭

@DisneyFan said:
    Congratulations on discovering Barber proofs. I'm excited for you. It's so difficult to find Barbers that have that out of this world look. Pictures, even TrueViews, do not do them justice. One often finds pictures that look like the one below making the coin appear very dark. That is not at all what these coins look like. .
    In the case of your 1908, would you describe the fields as watery?
    And are you now branching out to Barber proofs? : )

Agree fully. The mirror clarity is exceptional.

I'd consider this more of a type coin (I might try a 1908 proof set, but that is a decades long endeavor). I can't really go after coins like this very often at all, but it's impossible to find them (and that's why they're special).

Young Numismatist, Coin Photographer.

• Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

That is truly an amazing coin... One of the reasons I enjoy this forum - High quality coins are displayed here that I may otherwise never see. Cheers, RickO

• Options
    johnny010johnny010 Posts: 1,085 ✭✭✭✭✭

@FlyingAl
    Great coin!

• Options
    lermishlermish Posts: 1,922 ✭✭✭✭✭

@johnny010 said:
    Barbers don’t get enough attention
    Need the official Barber thread somewhere :)

Agreed, I only have the three for my type set but they may be favorite series in proof (other than 5 figure trade dollars), they just show off so well!

Congrats Al on a great coin!

• Options
    cameonut2011cameonut2011 Posts: 10,061 ✭✭✭✭✭

Well done! Congratulations!

• Options
    Dave99BDave99B Posts: 8,355 ✭✭✭✭✭

You know what ... she's not ugly!

Dave

Always looking for original, better date VF20-VF35 Barber quarters and halves, and a quality beer.
  • Options
    lkeneficlkenefic Posts: 7,821 ✭✭✭✭✭

Every day, and I think I've shown amazing restraint... ;)

Collecting: Dansco 7070; Middle Date Large Cents (VF-AU); Box of 20;

Successful BST transactions with: SilverEagles92; Ahrensdad; Smitty; GregHansen; Lablade; Mercury10c; copperflopper; whatsup; KISHU1; scrapman1077, crispy, canadanz, smallchange, robkool, Mission16, ranshdow, ibzman350, Fallguy, Collectorcoins, SurfinxHI, jwitten, Walkerguy21D, dsessom.
  • Options
    SaorAlbaSaorAlba Posts: 7,475 ✭✭✭✭✭

Yup, and that is about all I have to say about that.

In memory of my kitty Seryozha 14.2.1996 ~ 13.9.2016 and Shadow 3.4.2015 - 16.4.21
  • Options
    JimTylerJimTyler Posts: 3,053 ✭✭✭✭✭

Anyone can just have to pay too much.

• Options
    jesbrokenjesbroken Posts: 9,275 ✭✭✭✭✭

What is not to like. One of the most beautiful Barber proofs I have seen. Congrats.
    jim

When a man who is honestly mistaken hears the truth, he will either quit being mistaken or cease to be honest....Abraham Lincoln

Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it.....Mark Twain
  • Options
    seanqseanq Posts: 8,575 ✭✭✭✭✭

Yes, in keeping with the Barber theme of this post, I had no idea a clip for this series even existed until this coin popped up on eBay.

Sean Reynolds

Incomplete planchets wanted, especially Lincoln Cents & type coins.

"Keep in mind that most of what passes as numismatic information is no more than tested opinion at best, and marketing blather at worst. However, I try to choose my words carefully, since I know that you guys are always watching." - Joe O'Connor
  • Options
    dunkleosteus430dunkleosteus430 Posts: 471 ✭✭✭✭

Congrats! I guess at some point I never thought I'd own a half dollar, because I didn't know they existed.

Young Numismatist

• Options
    ShurkeShurke Posts: 142 ✭✭✭

Truly stunning - congrats!

• Options
    CircCamCircCam Posts: 235 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Catbert said:
    A nice example for this early copper type has always been on my radar but I never thought I'd bite the cost bullet to acquire one in this condition. It will always be a favorite in my collection.

Wow, incredible example.

• Options
    ChrisH821ChrisH821 Posts: 6,323 ✭✭✭✭✭

Excellent coin!

Collector, occasional seller

• Options
    SeattleSlammerSeattleSlammer Posts: 9,959 ✭✭✭✭✭

Nice vid. ⭐️

• Options
    NeophyteNumismatistNeophyteNumismatist Posts: 878 ✭✭✭✭✭

Congratulations @FlyingAl - It's a great coin for a great collector! Enjoy it!

I am a newer collector (started April 2020), and I primarily focus on U.S. Half Cents and Type Coins. Early copper is my favorite.

• Options
    DennisHDennisH Posts: 13,963 ✭✭✭✭✭

I've had dozens of chances. I've just never had enough $$$ to be able to do it.

When in doubt, don't.
  • Options
    privatecoinprivatecoin Posts: 3,181 ✭✭✭✭✭

When I was 10 I never thought I'd own a proof lincoln cent......

Paper money eventually returns to its intrinsic value. Zero. Voltaire. Ebay coinbowlllc

• Options
    P0CKETCHANGEP0CKETCHANGE Posts: 2,245 ✭✭✭✭✭

Wow! I love Proof Barbers and would love to assemble a set of one of the denominations someday. Congrats on acquiring that stunning example.

Nothing is as expensive as free money.

• Options
    CatbertCatbert Posts: 6,603 ✭✭✭✭✭

Great coin @spacehayduke I would love to own that coin.

"Got a flaming heart, can't get my fill"
  • Options

That sure is a nice coin. Great eye appeal from a great collector as well. Eldorado is a good dude.

• Options
    GoldenEggGoldenEgg Posts: 1,923 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited March 1, 2023 6:44PM

@privatecoin said:
    When I was 10 I never thought I'd own a proof lincoln cent......

It’s funny how your perspective changes the further you progress in the hobby. I suspect that the OP will have many of these such moments the longer he sticks around.

• Options
    KliaoKliao Posts: 5,458 ✭✭✭✭✭

Beautiful barber! Something about the toning on these types of older proofs that are just amazing.

Young Numismatist/collector
    75 Positive BST transactions buying and selling with 45 members and counting!
    instagram.com/klnumismatics

• Options
    coinkatcoinkat Posts: 22,769 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited March 3, 2023 4:04PM

yes- 1677 Crown AU55

Experience the World through Numismatics...it's more than you can imagine.

• Options
    coinkatcoinkat Posts: 22,769 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited March 3, 2023 4:07PM

Rarity v. condition rarity can make a numismatic discussion quite engaging

Experience the World through Numismatics...it's more than you can imagine.

• Options
    kirkminkkirkmink Posts: 172 ✭✭✭✭

Absolutely gorgeous coin, congratulations.

"Why waste time learning, when ignorance is instantaneous?"- Calvin and Hobbes

• Options
    daltexdaltex Posts: 3,486 ✭✭✭✭✭

I guess it depends if we're talking about a coin that we've gazed at longingly in the Red Book for years knowing it was out of reach, or a coin that we didn't know existed, but once we saw it we realized it would occupy a proud place in our collection.

I suppose the former would be a PanPac $50 Octagonal for me. The latter a Monroe is 65 or better with an extremely well-struck reverse. I haven't checked, but I assume I could buy the former now if I could raise the cash.

• Options
    DCWDCW Posts: 6,973 ✭✭✭✭✭

I never thought that I'd get the chance to own this rare Good For A Scent variety, the Excelsior Club:

After 160 years, this is the only known example. It naturally seemed impossible, given the popularity and rarity. Nevertheless, a series of incredible events led to its acquisition a few years back.

Dead Cat Waltz Exonumia
    "Coin collecting for outcasts..."

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file