Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

A couple of NEWPs - Classic Head Half Cents

Just ordered these today:

I am a newer collector (started April 2020), and I primarily focus on U.S. Half Cents and Type Coins. Early copper is my favorite.

Comments

• Options
    jesbrokenjesbroken Posts: 9,327 ✭✭✭✭✭

Very nice. Couple of C-2's?
    Jim

When a man who is honestly mistaken hears the truth, he will either quit being mistaken or cease to be honest....Abraham Lincoln

Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it.....Mark Twain
  • Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

They look like nice coins.... Hope you are happy with them when received. Be sure to let us know. Cheers, RickO

• Options
    coinbufcoinbuf Posts: 10,774 ✭✭✭✭✭

Congrats, those look like a couple of wonderful additions to your collection.

My Lincoln Registry
    My Collection of Old Holders

Never a slave to one plastic brand will I ever be.
  • Options
    OmegaraptorOmegaraptor Posts: 528 ✭✭✭✭✭

@NeophyteNumismatist said:
    Thanks all - I am very excited about the 1809. 1809-1811 are very difficult dates to find "nice" (1811 in particular). There was a long break in production until 1825, so 1809-1811 did a LOT of work in the economy.

The 1835 is a common date, but I needed the variety and this one had some red on it without a large premium. If a collector needed a type coin, I would recommend the 1835 or the 1828. They come nice and are relatively affordable.

I took my registry set private for the time being. I am going to get it how I want it, and then toss it back up. I did this to completely eliminate the "competitive" side of the registry. As I am closing-in (with some very tough coins left), I was starting to follow my rankings and such... but that's not what I am trying to do. I am not trying to "win", I just want a set that I can be proud of. I don't want to be tempted to upgrade if I am happy with the coin (just because it will get me more points), so.. I am going to finish it out and ignore my ranking until it is complete.

Good luck on the 1811 1/2c. Decently strong contender for lowest average overall production quality of any US Mint issue.

"You can't get just one gun." "You can't get just one tattoo." "You can't get just one 1796 Draped Bust Large Cent."

• Options
    TomBTomB Posts: 20,740 ✭✭✭✭✭

Nice pair of half-cents!

Thomas Bush Numismatics & Numismatic Photography

In honor of the memory of Cpl. Michael E. Thompson

• Options
    2dueces2dueces Posts: 6,252 ✭✭✭✭✭

Great eye. Those coins are outstanding!

W.C.Fields
    "I spent 50% of my money on alcohol, women, and gambling. The other half I wasted.
  • Options
    lkeneficlkenefic Posts: 7,834 ✭✭✭✭✭

That 09 is a real looker! Please let us know how it looks in hand...

Collecting: Dansco 7070; Middle Date Large Cents (VF-AU); Box of 20;

Successful BST transactions with: SilverEagles92; Ahrensdad; Smitty; GregHansen; Lablade; Mercury10c; copperflopper; whatsup; KISHU1; scrapman1077, crispy, canadanz, smallchange, robkool, Mission16, ranshdow, ibzman350, Fallguy, Collectorcoins, SurfinxHI, jwitten, Walkerguy21D, dsessom.
  • Options
    Walkerguy21DWalkerguy21D Posts: 11,151 ✭✭✭✭✭

Those are exceptionally nice examples!

Successful BST transactions with 170 members. Recent: Tonedeaf, Shane6596, Piano1, Ikenefic, RG, PCGSPhoto, stman, Don'tTelltheWife, Boosibri, Ron1968, snowequities, VTchaser, jrt103, SurfinxHI, 78saen, bp777, FHC, RYK, JTHawaii, Opportunity, Kliao, bigtime36, skanderbeg, split37, thebigeng, acloco, Toninginthblood, OKCC, braddick, Coinflip, robcool, fastfreddie, tightbudget, DBSTrader2, nickelsciolist, relaxn, Eagle eye, soldi, silverman68, ElKevvo, sawyerjosh, Schmitz7, talkingwalnut2, konsole, sharkman987, sniocsu, comma, jesbroken, David1234, biosolar, Sullykerry, Moldnut, erwindoc, MichaelDixon, GotTheBug
  • Options

Man that's a sharp pair.
    Every time I see such beautiful coins it makes me want to go buy one. However, we all have our limits.
    Well most of us.

• Options
    johnny9434johnny9434 Posts: 27,526 ✭✭✭✭✭

Wonderful looking half cents, I like 👍

• Options
    NeophyteNumismatistNeophyteNumismatist Posts: 899 ✭✭✭✭✭

The new coins arrived today, and I am very happy with them. The 1809 is a little darker than the photo, but the luster is super nice. I think it would CAC (if that were still a thing). The 1835 has nice color and I like that coin, too... But, the 1809 has me smitten at the moment. <3<3<3

My wife asked me which coin is my favorite... and I told her.... "the NEXT one!!" She laughed (but I am serious :)).

I am a newer collector (started April 2020), and I primarily focus on U.S. Half Cents and Type Coins. Early copper is my favorite.

• Options
    NumisOxideNumisOxide Posts: 10,989 ✭✭✭✭✭

I like them! The 1809 is my favorite.

• Options
    RobertScotLoverRobertScotLover Posts: 617 ✭✭✭✭

Congratulation on your last piece, its my favorite .

• Options

Nice pickup, Neo. Congrats.
    Jim

When a man who is honestly mistaken hears the truth, he will either quit being mistaken or cease to be honest....Abraham Lincoln

Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it.....Mark Twain
  • Options

Thanks everyone. The 1810 is hard to find really nice. I have had my eye on this one for probably 6 months. I was able to work with the dealer to bring it home, and I am excited to get it. This one is "ex. Partrick". I am not one of the "Pedigree chasers" but, it's a neat little extra.

• Options
    Pnies20Pnies20 Posts: 2,073 ✭✭✭✭✭

Sweet 1809. I got one for Christmas when I was in 3rd grade for my Whitman album. I loved that thing.

BHNC #248 … 108 and counting.

• Options

@Pnies20 - Wow, that's a really cool Christmas gift!!! I would be scared my kids would lose it. Do you still have it know the variety for the 1809? If you have it still, and are wondering... fees free to post pictures on my attribution thread. I would be happy to help (and we have several others on that thread who could help, too).

• Options

Love the 09. I have 3 of the 6 and that tops mine. Great collection building, hope to see it one day.
    Jim

• Options
    Pnies20Pnies20 Posts: 2,073 ✭✭✭✭✭

@NeophyteNumismatist said:
    @Pnies20 - Wow, that's a really cool Christmas gift!!! I would be scared my kids would lose it. Do you still have it know the variety for the 1809? If you have it still, and are wondering... fees free to post pictures on my attribution thread. I would be happy to help (and we have several others on that thread who could help, too).

Unfortunately, it is long gone. I had no clue about variety attribution at age 10 but I remember it was a nice VF35-XF40 ish.

BHNC #248 … 108 and counting.

• Options

Here is my Meghrig Album page 2 obv/rev currently working on. Sorry folks, there be scratches. lol
    Jim

• Options
    edited March 6, 2023 1:57PM

@jesbroken - Very nice Draped Bust set. I am currently missing two in that date set - 1802 and 1808, both tougher dates. :(

Are you doing the classic head set, too?

• Options

I have quite a few Classic heads 1809s and 1810s, 28 and 35, but have no intentions at this point of making it a collection. Got a long way to go with the 02 and only have a couple of the liberty cap half cents. I need an 04 plain w/stems as you can see and the 8/7. Look forward to seeing yours sometime.
    Jim

• Options
    ElcontadorElcontador Posts: 7,425 ✭✭✭✭✭

The 1835 is a common date, but I needed the variety and this one had some red on it without a large premium. If a collector needed a type coin, I would recommend the 1835 or the 1828. They come nice and are relatively affordable.

This. The 1828 13 stars and the 1835 are the type coins of the set. The later date coins of the series were also the first coins on which the steam press was use, and strikes on Uncs are usually hammered.

"Vou invadir o Nordeste,
    "Seu cabra da peste,
    "Sou Mangueira......."
  • Options

@NeophyteNumismatist Should you get a chance, take a look at the 1809 I posted in your other post and see what you think the Cohen # may be.
    Thanks,
    Jim

• Options

Just responded, but you were correct... C-2.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file