Homeβ€Ί U.S. Coin Forum
Options

**** 2023 UNOFFICIAL OFFICAL 1oz ASE PROOF (W) (S) THREAD ****

HoneyMarketHoneyMarket Posts: 804 ✭✭✭✭

I could not find another dedicated thread to the 2023 ASE Proofs thread so I started one.

On March 2nd, the first ASE Proof (West Point) for 2023 will go on sale - American Eagle 2023 One Ounce Silver Proof Coin
WEST POINT (W)
for $80.

Later in the year (fall 2023), the second ASE Proof (San Francisco) for 2023 will go on sale - American Eagle 2023 One Ounce Silver Proof Coin SAN FRANCISCO (S)

Sale price is $80 each with a HHL of 25 (for subscription orders).

I am surprised there has not been more discussion about these upcoming sales - there is a discussion thread on the Morgan and Peace releases but even that thread lacks the anticipation and excitement that I've seen in past years for these releases??

BST references available on request

Β«1

Comments

• Options
    privatecoinprivatecoin Posts: 3,189 ✭✭✭✭✭

All the price hikes are definitely not something to be excited about. That is certainly making me think twice about buying.

Paper money eventually returns to its intrinsic value. Zero. Voltaire. Ebay coinbowlllc

• Options
    grote15grote15 Posts: 29,531 ✭✭✭✭✭

Reduced my subscription to 1 from 3...I'll put in my set run but not excited about price on these.

Collecting 1970s Topps baseball wax, rack and cello packs, as well as PCGS graded Half Cents, Large Cents, Two Cent pieces and Three Cent Silver pieces.
  • Options
    Jzyskowski1Jzyskowski1 Posts: 6,651 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited February 20, 2023 3:20PM

What? Sorry. Oh ya. I’m buying the congratulations set $82. Rolled my enrollment for the W proof and burnished back to zero and 2 for the S mint mark proof Too dang high a mintage, to get excited. 40,000 for the congratulations set is it. πŸ₯±

🎢 shout shout, let it all out 🎢

• Options

Interesting comments on the price hike and mintage numbers putting a damper on what I expected to be a sellout based upon past history.
    It will be telling data points, if these are potentially a flop, when all is said and done.

• Options
    erscoloerscolo Posts: 494 ✭✭✭✭✭

I have no interest in a graded slab for these. The coin in the congratulations set is the same as the one sold in another form of mint packaging. Far too many are made for these to be an investment, and the price hike does not help at all. One of each proof and one burnished example are more than enough for me. I already have the bullion example for 2023.

• Options
    NJCoinNJCoin Posts: 1,422 ✭✭✭✭✭

It's a popular series. They will sell a lot. But, they are also making a lot, and they have made it very easy to guarantee that you can get all that you want through the subscriptions.

As a result, they will be easy to get and won't be a flip, so there is just not a lot of excitement surrounding the release.

• Options
    edited February 21, 2023 5:17AM

@erscolo said:
    I have no interest in a graded slab for these. The coin in the congratulations set is the same as the one sold in another form of mint packaging. Far too many are made for these to be an investment, and the price hike does not help at all. One of each proof and one burnished example are more than enough for me. I already have the bullion example for 2023.

Checking eBay reveals that the certified congratulations set ase , sells for a considerable premium over the β€œplain ole W proof β€œ. πŸ™€

• Options
    DoubleDimeDoubleDime Posts: 619 ✭✭✭

I only collect Silver Eagles for type. Was planning to get the 2023-W Unc. Type -2 as I already have the regular Unc. and Proof. Then when the Mint still had some 2022 available I got that instead as date really didn't matter. Turns out I saved $9 as the price of the 2023s are going up. Maybe someday I'll get a reverse proof.

• Options
    JWPJWP Posts: 17,703 ✭✭✭✭✭

I reduced my subsciptions from 6 to 2 for the W & S. I' m givingthe the mint too much of my money and they don't appreciate it either. 😑

USN & USAF retired 1971-1993
    Successful Transactions with more than 100 Members

• Options

@JWP said:
    I reduced my subsciptions from 6 to 2 for the W & S. I' m givingthe the mint too much of my money and they don't appreciate it either. 😑

No, they don't. They have clearly made a decision to sacrifice volume in order to maximize profit, knowing that they have a built in, loyal audience for most of their products. More like a well run business than a government agency.

• Options

@NJCoin said:
    More like a well run business than a government agency.

Whoo... I believe that you are being a little too generous combining the term well run business with the US Mint.

:blush:

• Options
    Joe_360Joe_360 Posts: 1,613 ✭✭✭✭✭

I've lost interest, kind of like that material girl in High School who wanted more and provided less... >:)

• Options
    SametsSamets Posts: 109 ✭✭✭

Cancelled my 2 W proofs and just picked up a graded on a pre-sale for much less than what it would have taken me to get them graded and shipped 2 ways...
    I nornally will buy 2 to 3 coins and send them in for hopes of a 70 grade and sell (at a loss) the remaining two.

I think the S will go the same way.

• Options
    MilesWaitsMilesWaits Posts: 5,310 ✭✭✭✭✭

For those that are purchasing this 2023 silver eagle, I agree, I would prefer it in a PCGS slab, just looks better overall and more impressive in presentation and easier to handle.

Now riding the swell in PM's and surf.
  • Options

@Jzyskowski1 said:
    ... I’m buying the congratulations set $82. Rolled my enrollment for the W proof and burnished back to zero and 2 for the S mint mark proof Too dang high a mintage, to get excited. 40,000 for the congratulations set is it. πŸ₯±

Is/Was the Congratulations Set available for subscription or will the Congratulations Set just be another release on the same day as the W Proof? Also, what is the appeal of the Congratulations Set for $2 more - does it save you from having to go buy a card at the Hallmark store because it comes with its own?

• Options

Same day release. No enrollment πŸ˜‰

• Options
    7Jaguars7Jaguars Posts: 7,268 ✭✭✭✭✭

Yawn, and pass on this one (also).....They have destroyed the series for many of us and I am sure do not care whatsoever.
    Maybe Ventris Gibson can do something...??

Love that Milled British (1830-1960)
    Well, just Love coins, period.
  • Options
    HATTRICKHATTRICK Posts: 2,097 ✭✭✭✭✭

The ASEs had been in decline for awhile. The injection of the Type 2s gave the market a short high but that has worn off and reality has set in. soon to be worth only melt except for those who want to continue their series.
    P.S. don't forget all the milk spots.

" If you push something hard enough, it will fall over. " The 1st Law of Opposition from The Firesign Theater
  • Options
    MilesWaitsMilesWaits Posts: 5,310 ✭✭✭✭✭

Please, please ASE slab collectors, pay heed to the above public service messageπŸ’£

Now riding the swell in PM's and surf.
  • Options
    124Spider124Spider Posts: 848 ✭✭✭✭✭

I find the price a bit off-putting, but I'll buy them. I find them to be beautiful, and that's a significant part of what I collect--pretty coins.

And, to be clear, I'm not complaining about the Mint's pricing--they're a for-profit enterprise, not supposed to be in the business of making money for flippers. It's just that the farther they get from melt value, the less attractive it is as an "I like this coin, but know it's not going to appreciate over time" purchase.

• Options
    TwobitcollectorTwobitcollector Posts: 3,109 ✭✭✭✭✭

I have bought the "W" proof for my grand children for many years and I'll buy them this year too.

Positive BST Transactions with:
    INYNWHWeTrust-TexasNationals,ajaan,blu62vette
    coinJP, Outhaul ,illini420,MICHAELDIXON, Fade to Black,epcjimi1,19Lyds,SNMAN,JerseyJoe, bigjpst, DMWJR , lordmarcovan, Weiss,Mfriday4962,UtahCoin,Downtown1974,pitboss,RichieURich,Bullsitter,JDsCoins,toyz4geo,jshaulis, mustanggt, SNMAN
  • Options
    CoinHoarderCoinHoarder Posts: 2,469 ✭✭✭✭✭

The price of everything else has gone up. So, no surprise that the us Mint would raise their prices as well.

• Options
    OnastoneOnastone Posts: 3,786 ✭✭✭✭✭

@HoneyMarket said:
    I could not find another dedicated thread to the 2023 ASE Proofs
    I am surprised there has not been more discussion about these upcoming sale

lacks the anticipation and excitement that I've seen in past years for these

New design, new price, cheaper packaging ...all contributions to its decline in interest...with price being the highest concern.

• Options

@Twobitcollector said:
    I have bought the "W" proof for my grand children for many years and I'll buy them this year too.

You sir, are an awesome grandfather - and even if they don't appreciate the gift now, they will some day when they are older.
    I still have silver dollars that my godfather used to send me on my birthday and cherish them. I also have some old savings bonds that he sent to my sons that are getting close to their 30 year mark and will need to be cashed in soon.

• Options

@HoneyMarket said:

@NJCoin said:
    More like a well run business than a government agency.

Whoo... I believe that you are being a little too generous combining the term well run business with the US Mint.

:blush:

Agreed! I didn't mean to imply the Mint's numismatic program was a well run business. Only that they are trying to emulate one by raising prices in an effort to maximize revenue.

• Options
    edited February 26, 2023 8:41PM

Well the long awaited FIX for ALL US Mint ordering Issues will be unveiled this week with the release of the WAIT ROOM!

Because the Mint has determined that the American Eagle 2023 One Ounce Silver Proof Coin WEST POINT (W) is going to be one of the MOST popular releases of the year, the 1oz ASE (W) Proof has been selected for the HIGH Honor of the inaugural WAIT ROOM.

Furthermore, because the 2023 Congratulations Set (W) will also be sure to be an immediate sell-out, the US Mint has bestowed the WAIT ROOM honor on this exciting release!!

This upcoming Thursday, High Noon (EST)!

• Options
    CoinHoarderCoinHoarder Posts: 2,469 ✭✭✭✭✭

Thank you for the reminder. I just canceled my subscription for 1 W Proof SAE. No hurry on this one. Since it is unlimited, I can always order one later if I change my mind.

• Options

Yes sir. Unlimited mintage and highly desirable( requiring the waiting room) doesn’t make sense .

• Options

• Options

@Jzyskowski1 said:
    Yes sir. Unlimited mintage and highly desirable( requiring the waiting room) doesn’t make sense .

I believe they just don't want you to buy too many at once - maybe they feel their unlimited mintage won't be able to keep up with the demand! LOL

o:)

• Options

@HoneyMarket said:

@Jzyskowski1 said:

I believe they just don't want you to buy too many at once - maybe they feel their unlimited mintage won't be able to keep up with the demand! LOL

o:)

HHL 25. Seems like alot 😁

• Options

Hey everybody.
    Want some fun πŸ˜‚. Go to the mint website and chat with em about the waiting room πŸ˜‚πŸ˜‚πŸ˜‚πŸ˜‚
    The poor representative was so confused by the answers she got from the upper management that she apologized for the whole messπŸ˜‚πŸ˜‚πŸ˜‚. Very nice lady and I am in no way saying anything bad about her.
    Their answer was to get in line early but don’t refresh a screen, that requires refreshing, and wait. Then it was call at noon and be placed in the room but again, don’t refresh πŸ˜‚πŸ˜‚πŸ˜‚πŸ˜‚. When she realized what they were asking was impossible she politely just apologized 😁.
    Final results of my inquiry? They don’t know!!πŸ˜‚πŸ˜‚πŸ˜‚

• Options

@Jzyskowski1 said:
    Hey everybody.
    Want some fun πŸ˜‚. Go to the mint website and chat with em about the waiting room πŸ˜‚πŸ˜‚πŸ˜‚πŸ˜‚
    The poor representative was so confused by the answers she got from the upper management that she apologized for the whole messπŸ˜‚πŸ˜‚πŸ˜‚. Very nice lady and I am in no way saying anything bad about her.
    Their answer was to get in line early but don’t refresh a screen, that requires refreshing, and wait. Then it was call at noon and be placed in the room but again, don’t refresh πŸ˜‚πŸ˜‚πŸ˜‚πŸ˜‚. When she realized what they were asking was impossible she politely just apologized 😁.

I'm sure the CSR's were probably the last to know anything about it... Hard to blame them...

• Options
    Glen2022Glen2022 Posts: 843 ✭✭✭✭

I don't understand the hype for the congratulations set. Isn't it at the same coin, 2023-W ASE that is available on its own? I suppose if you have some reason to give one to someone, such as new baby, marriage, etc., it saves going to the corner drugstore to pick up a card., and save a couple of bucks as compared to buying the coin, and giving the card from the drugstore.

I still have silver dollars that my godfather used to send me on my birthday and cherish them. I also have some old savings bonds that he sent to my sons that are getting close to their 30 year mark and will need to be cashed in soon.

I really found some old savings bonds were given to me many years ago. Well past the 30 year mark. I think I may frame them. They were issued at the end of WWII.

• Options
    edited February 27, 2023 3:02PM

@Glen2022 said:
    I really found some old savings bonds were given to me many years ago. Well past the 30 year mark. I think I may frame them. They were issued at the end of WWII.

Up until 1966, older E-Bonds paid out for 40 years!! I'll bet they paid nicely during the inflation of the 70's and 80's!
    Be careful where you hang them up...they're still worth a LOT of money in some cases!

US Treasury Savings Bond Calculator

• Options
    smuglrsmuglr Posts: 407 ✭✭✭

Mintage Limit: None is not to be understood as UNLIMITED mintage.
    I believe the forum has gone down this path in the past. The USM used to routinely list especially the ASE this way. There is simply at this time no published predetermined mintage. I'm sure with the increase in price and dissatisfaction with the USM there will be plenty of these to go around, but if I wanted one I wouldn't hold out endlessly counting on an "Unlimited" amount to be produced.

• Options
    djmdjm Posts: 1,558 ✭✭✭✭✭

@HoneyMarket said:

@Glen2022 said:

Up until 1966, older E-Bonds paid out for 40 years!! I'll bet they paid nicely during the inflation of the 70's and 80's!
    Be careful where you hang them up...they're still worth a LOT of money in some cases!

US Treasury Savings Bond Calculator

If he is not the owner or the beneficiary whose name appears on the bond they will be very difficult to cash.

• Options
    Glen2022Glen2022 Posts: 843 ✭✭✭✭

$25 BOND issued Oct 1945 worth about $113 before taxes. Guess I can now retire!!! Or maybe buy a coin.

Thanks for the link.

• Options
    edited February 27, 2023 6:54PM

@Jzyskowski1 said:
    Hey everybody.

In an effort to clear up some confusion about how they work, if you do not resist the urge to refresh because nothing seems to be happening, you will be continually be placing yourself at the end of the line, because that's how waiting rooms work. Each time you refresh, you re-enter the room and lose your place.

Does this make sense? The website does not recognize that you are the same person who just left, which is why and how refreshing works when a site hangs. I don't know what kind of message they will provide while you are waiting, or whether it will update, but, if you don't Trust the Process, you will be destined to be dissatisfied with your result if you need to refresh.

The screen will NOT require refreshing if it is working as intended, just like any other functioning website. If it freezes or just doesn't work, that will be another story altogether, and you'll be back to where you were without the waiting room, except this time you'll never get to a payment screen.

• Options

Today is the day!!

• Options
    cheezhedcheezhed Posts: 5,688 ✭✭✭✭✭

Waiting room actually started about 11:53

Many happy BST transactions
  • Options
    RMHIGRMHIG Posts: 2 ✭

This is the first opportunity to purchase an ASE with W mint mark. My purchase went smooth. The waiting room worked out nicely. Not impressed with the price hike, especially with silver prices drifting downward. I plan to keep it in the OGP and not try the grading gamble.

• Options
    liefgoldliefgold Posts: 1,658 ✭✭✭✭✭

The waiting room is a needless feature. With the increased mintages and early access for bulk dealers, the mint has effectively killed the flippers. Unfortunately, they have also killed any long term value for their products. Everyone will get what they want and it will be worth bullion down the road.

liefgold
  • Options

@liefgold said:
    The waiting room is a needless feature. With the increased mintages and early access for bulk dealers, the mint has effectively killed the flippers. Unfortunately, they have also killed any long term value for their products. Everyone will get what they want and it will be worth bullion down the road.

Down the road will be tomorrow. You will be lucky to get bullion for them. :o:'(

" If you push something hard enough, it will fall over. " The 1st Law of Opposition from The Firesign Theater
  • Options

@djm said:

Β» show previous quotes
    The waiting room did nothing for these issues. The reason you were able to get in and out so easily was because the issues were available on Advance Release to the Bulk Buyers for the first time, so you were not competing with them.

You are both correct. Advance release took away a lot of the traffic and the waiting room made the system more orderly for the remaining buyers. Also just the threat of the Waiting room probably reduced the traffic. The real test will be for a very highly desirable, limited edition with HHL of 1 and no advance purchases for anyone.

• Options

Hours later. Both still available. The waiting room was very orderly.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file