Home U.S. Coin Forum

1882 half eagle, gold. Thinking about this one. Thoughts, grades.

Riley1955Riley1955 Posts: 136 ✭✭✭
edited February 14, 2023 4:28PM in U.S. Coin Forum

Tagged:

Comments

• cccoinscccoins Posts: 284 ✭✭✭✭

XF45

• Riley1955Riley1955 Posts: 136 ✭✭✭

@cccoins said:
    XF45

Had wrong pic up when you replied. Please look again.

• goldengolden Posts: 9,017 ✭✭✭✭✭

Pass on that one.

• pcgscacgoldpcgscacgold Posts: 2,615 ✭✭✭✭✭

I would pass and find a nicer AU or low MS coin. This one appears to have issues.

• SmudgeSmudge Posts: 9,208 ✭✭✭✭✭

Common and scratched up. That one would be more of a bullion play for me.

• ashelandasheland Posts: 22,612 ✭✭✭✭✭

Indeed looks ex-jewelry

Thanks for your input.

• rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Riley1955... That would be a pass for me... You would likely be very disappointed when getting the coin 'in hand'. Cheers, RickO

@BillJones said:
    These coins are among the most common of all the surviving "old" U.S. gold pieces. Finding a more pleasing one will not be difficult.

I would look for a certified piece. It probably won't cost you that much more and you will know that it is genuine and very likely problem free.

Here is an 1886-S. It might surprise you to learn that it is a common date. Given that the high price of gold bullion puts a floor under these pieces, the coins that are less than Mint State don't cost that much less. An MS-62 or 63 might be a "sweet spot" for a budget conscious collector. This one is a high end MS-64.

That's a sweet looking piece.

• darktonedarktone Posts: 8,437 ✭✭✭

Nice coin Bill, one of the rare ones that has clearer fields on the obverse that the reverse.

• skier07skier07 Posts: 3,648 ✭✭✭✭✭

Like others have said pass. It looks like it was polished. With gold down over the last few weeks you can probably find a nice lower grade uncirculated one in a slab for a few dollars more than the one in the OP online.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file