Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

Busted!!

So many immigrant groups have swept through our town that Brooklyn, like Atlantis, reaches mythological proportions in the mind of the world - RI Safir 1998

Comments

• Options
    mrbrklynmrbrklyn Posts: 105 ✭✭✭

not sure why they went out of order

So many immigrant groups have swept through our town that Brooklyn, like Atlantis, reaches mythological proportions in the mind of the world - RI Safir 1998
  • Options
    OAKSTAROAKSTAR Posts: 5,829 ✭✭✭✭✭

They look great!

Disclaimer: I'm not a dealer, trader, grader, investor or professional numismatist. I'm just a hobbyist. (To protect me but mostly you! 🤣 )

• Options
    semikeycollectorsemikeycollector Posts: 931 ✭✭✭✭✭

@mrbrklyn said:

These coins have so much eye appeal!

PS Both my father and wife were born in Brooklyn. I have spent some time there.

fahgettaboudit, believe the hype!

• Options
    hchcoinhchcoin Posts: 4,825 ✭✭✭✭✭

Wow, what a group.

• Options

@semikeycollector said:

These coins have so much eye appeal!

PS Both my father and wife were born in Brooklyn. I have spent some time there.

fahgettaboudit, believe the hype!

My son did most of the shopping. I never thought I would see such a nice collection of Bust Halfs. Most came from the Bust expert - David Kahn.

• Options
  • Options
  • Options

Nothing like a nice group of busts

• Options
    spyglassdesignspyglassdesign Posts: 1,514 ✭✭✭✭✭

@mrbrklyn said:
    not sure why they went out of order

If you upload them in a batch the system organizes them. If you want them in a specific order you have to upload them one by one.

Nice train of busts!

• Options
    yosclimberyosclimber Posts: 4,599 ✭✭✭✭✭

Actually they are out of order there also.

It's not a bad problem to have!
    (So many great coins that it's hard to keep them "in order")!

• Options
    RollermanRollerman Posts: 1,840 ✭✭✭✭✭

By the title of the post, I thought that maybe a thief ruing were caught or something. Then I thought it might be some fakes were discovered, put as I scrolled through the gorgeous CBH's realized they were just a great group of coins. Congrat's for the very nice pickups!

"Ain't None of Them play like him (Bix Beiderbecke) Yet."
    Louis Armstrong
  • Options
    Glen2022Glen2022 Posts: 844 ✭✭✭✭

I love busts

• Options

@Rollerman said:
    By the title of the post, I thought that maybe a thief ruing were caught or something. Then I thought it might be some fakes were discovered, put as I scrolled through the gorgeous CBH's realized they were just a great group of coins. Congrat's for the very nice pickups!

The only reason I have great pick ups is because I have a bright son and and excellent Dealer in these coins who we always watch, that is David Kahn. https://www.davidkahnrarecoins.com/

• Options

@pursuitofliberty said:
    Welcome aboard!! Nice coins!

Eye candy, for sure!!

Here's my 1813 O-108 ... it's the 'a' State

what is the "A" state? Did it grade? That nose is wonderfully imperfect.

• Options
    jacrispiesjacrispies Posts: 717 ✭✭✭✭✭

That is fantastic! Lovely collection! I like your unc 1818 O-112, the prime die state is crisp with a lot of appeal. Here is my 112:

"For the wages of sin is death, but the free gift of God is eternal life in Christ Jesus our Lord" Romans 6:23. Young fellow suffering from Bust Half fever.

• Options

@jacrispies said:
    That is fantastic! Lovely collection! I like your unc 1818 O-112, the prime die state is crisp with a lot of appeal. Here is my 112:

nice stars

• Options

@jacrispies said:

nice stars

• Options

• Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

@mrbrklyn ... It appears you have a bust fixation.... Yeah, that's the ticket.... ;):D Cheers, RickO

• Options

@ricko said:
    @mrbrklyn ... It appears you have a bust fixation.... Yeah, that's the ticket.... ;):D Cheers, RickO

http://www.mrbrklyn.com/polish_fao_first_food.html

• Options
    Riley1955Riley1955 Posts: 136 ✭✭✭

Here's my Bust, but it's only a nickle!!

• Options
    ashelandasheland Posts: 22,694 ✭✭✭✭✭

Very nice!

• Options
    edited February 13, 2023 8:05AM

@Riley1955 said:
    Here's my Bust, but it's only a nickle!!

Not a nickel - a half dime. I had a whole collections of these. They were great to collect because they were nice historical pieces and even in high grade they were available at very reasonable prices. And then they were stolen along with most of my collection.

http://www.mrbrklyn.com/half_dimes.html

http://images.mrbrklyn.com/half_dime_cap_bust/images/?C=S;O=D

• Options
    pursuitoflibertypursuitofliberty Posts: 6,593 ✭✭✭✭✭

@mrbrklyn said:
    what is the "A" state? Did it grade? That nose is wonderfully imperfect.

In addition to Die Marriages, sometimes there are different Die States that Overton referenced in his opus magnum when specific cracks or anomalies appeared. The Bust Half Nut Club (BHNC) has extended that study even further by defining the progression of each Die's State for each Die Marriage pairing in a publication titled "Die State Progressions of the Capped Bust Half Dollar Die Varieties 1807-1836". Dave Kahn offers that publication on his web site if you are interested in obtaining a copy. It should be an accompaniment to, and not a replacement for Overton's work (my opinion).

So, mine coin is then referenced in Overton as a 108a, which requires the "die crack from left of date joining all stars on the left" on the obverse, and incomplete milling on the reverse. Then more specifically it can be shown as a 108.3 by the BHNC, which also includes the "fine die crack thru 813 in date to S13".

While this may all be quite a bt too technical, some of us find the study fascinating ... in this case the dies were at advanced states near the end of their respective life spans, and by tracing the appearance and growth of cracks and level of deteriorations of the dies, we know the progression ... this being the last "State" for both.

Not to be retired early, the obverse die was reused in the 1813 O-109 Die Marriage with a newly pared reverse die, and it's state remained the same, even as the reverse die was heavily lapped and became known as the 1813 Single Leaf.

Okay, did it grade? Yes, mine is graded AU55 by PCGS and has a green ornament on the holder. Sheridan Downey wrote, "My only question: why not a gold CAC sticker?"

And yes, the clashed dies and double profile at the nose are quite enjoyable. Wonderfully imperfect indeed.

It is, in fact, one of my absolute favorite Bust Halves.

Loved seeing all of yours so far as well! Hope you post more.

“We are only their care-takers,” he posed, “if we take good care of them, then centuries from now they may still be here … ”

Todd - BHNC #242
  • Options

@pursuitofliberty said:
    Hope you post more.

As I might get them....

• Options
    Che_GrapesChe_Grapes Posts: 1,851 ✭✭✭✭✭

Not too shabby

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file