Home U.S. Coin Forum

New Discovery?! Amazing 1860-O Seated Half Dollar Struck Thru Half Dime Planchet Mated Pair Error!!!

ZoinsZoins Posts: 33,811 ✭✭✭✭✭
edited March 22, 2023 2:12AM in U.S. Coin Forum

This coin was just purchased raw on Jan 23, by Russ on VAMWorld and it's already been certified by PCGS!

It's one of those amazing finds that is hard to believe is still possible in 2023 but it is!

Is this coin known to the collecting community? Is there any known pedigree for this?

Read more on VAMWorld here:

Read more here: http://www.vamworld.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=4&t=7264

Comments

• Shane6596Shane6596 Posts: 759 ✭✭✭✭✭

That is awesome. And he found it in a coin shop from reading the link, correct? That makes it even more crazy.

Successful BST transactions with....Coinslave87, ChrisH821, Walkerguy21D, SanctionII.......................Received "You Suck" award 02/18/23

• gonzergonzer Posts: 2,986 ✭✭✭✭✭

They're still goodies hiding out there. Amazing coin(s).

• rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

Wow.... Amazing how something like this surfaces after 163 years.... I hope the CoinWorld article gives the backstory on this one.... Cheers, RickO

• gumby1234gumby1234 Posts: 5,404 ✭✭✭✭✭

That's one amazing error.

Successful BST with ad4400, Kccoin, lablover, pointfivezero, koynekwest, jwitten, coin22lover, HalfDimeDude, erwindoc, jyzskowsi, COINS MAKE CENTS, AlanSki, BryceM

• ZoinsZoins Posts: 33,811 ✭✭✭✭✭

@FredWeinberg said:
    There will be a CoinWorld article about this coin coming out soon – it is absolutely a stunning error and the earliest known of its type that I’m aware of- saw photos of this on Monday and was gob- smacked!

Great to know! And glad you’re still in the hobby and on top of this!

• DelawareDoonsDelawareDoons Posts: 3,208 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited February 4, 2023 6:17AM

I've known about this for a couple weeks now but didn't want to say anything. Spectacular error. I love it.

Professional Numismatist. "It's like God, Family, Country, except Sticker, Plastic, Coin."

• ByersByers Posts: 1,451 ✭✭✭✭✭

An amazing discovery!

mikebyers.com Dealer in Major Mint Errors, Die Trials & Patterns - Author of NLG Best World Coin Book World's Greatest Mint Errors - Publisher & Editor of minterrornews.com.
  • Mr Lindy Mr Lindy Posts: 979 ✭✭✭✭✭

Find of the Century !

I was a fan of the pair the moment the images posted elsewhere.

I followed its image filled discovery on a member's only error coin site on January 25th 2023.

Super quick turn around PCGS true view service !

• keyman64keyman64 Posts: 15,452 ✭✭✭✭✭

That's pretty incredible!

"If it's not fun, it's not worth it." - KeyMan64
    Looking for Top Pop Mercury Dime Varieties & High Grade Mercury Dime Toners. :smile:
  • jesbrokenjesbroken Posts: 9,151 ✭✭✭✭✭

Unbelieveable! After all this time, it must have been laying in someones drawer tucked away for 150+ years. Wow. Not an error collector, but I would imagine this will become one of the most valuable error coins of it's kind. Congrats to whoever ends up with it.
    Jim

When a man who is honestly mistaken hears the truth, he will either quit being mistaken or cease to be honest....Abraham Lincoln

Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it.....Mark Twain
  • NumisOxideNumisOxide Posts: 10,984 ✭✭✭✭✭

What a discovery!

• LJenkins11LJenkins11 Posts: 723 ✭✭✭✭✭

It looks to also be a WB-2 "Weird Vertical Stripes" variety. Incredible-looking error.

@LJenkins11 said:
    It looks to also be a WB-2 "Weird Vertical Stripes" variety. Incredible-looking error.

Great eye and info @LJenkins11!

Here are some closeups of the 9 star and the shield to compare!

edited February 4, 2023 8:31PM

@jesbroken said:
    Congrats to whoever ends up with it.
    Jim

It's owned by Russ James of Heritage Coins & Collectibles.

Also, looks like it won't be for sale, but a very nice coin to market his company!

twohawks said on VAMWorld:
    LOL "IT or THEM" are not for sale and I don't plan on putting them on the market currently! I plan on bringing them to FUN next winter and having them in my case as a show and tell, but still with NFS placed on the back of the holder. I had asked for the pair to be named the ".55 Cent Seated Half Dollar" on the Slab but that did not happen. I think I will use this coin as my shops "FACE" or background image much like the Broken CC that Northern Nevada Coin has.

• RLSnapperRLSnapper Posts: 505 ✭✭✭✭✭

If I saw it out in the wild I would for sure have thought it was a fake and not bought it. Unbelievable error.

• jt88jt88 Posts: 2,794 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited February 5, 2023 4:54PM

It is nice to see those amazing error coins. US Mint error coin price is the highest compare with other countries.

• Project NumismaticsProject Numismatics Posts: 1,317 ✭✭✭✭✭

Absolutely wild!!!! I love the color - surfaces look very original. Certainly the find of a lifetime.

@RLSnapper said:
    If I saw it out in the wild I would for sure have thought it was a fake and not bought it. Unbelievable error.

Click through to the VAMWorld thread and you’ll see that some people didn’t think it was real.

I think it’s amazing when we have coins like this that show up and are so different that are hard to believe they are real!

Nice to have some surprises in the hobby!

edited February 5, 2023 6:25PM

At first sight the 1860 pair was a real deal boo boo for me, but I've been an error coin collector decades now.

I'd love to own the 60-O, however, if it were mine, I'd never sell it.

Some goodies are irreplaceable.

Some profits are not worth realizing.

• oih82w8oih82w8 Posts: 11,865 ✭✭✭✭✭

Absolute stunner pair!

oih82w8 = Oh I Hate To Wait _defectus patientia_aka...Dr. Defecto - Curator of RMO's

BST transactions: dbldie55, jayPem, 78saen, UltraHighRelief, nibanny, liefgold, FallGuy, lkeigwin, mbogoman, Sandman70gt, keets, joeykoins, ianrussell (@GC), EagleEye, ThePennyLady, GRANDAM, Ilikecolor, Gluggo, okiedude, Voyageur, LJenkins11, fastfreddie, ms70, pursuitofliberty, ZoidMeister,Coin Finder, GotTheBug...
  • DCWDCW Posts: 6,934 ✭✭✭✭✭

This is a super awesome piece, that even us non error collectors can marvel at.
    Hard to believe the two pieces stayed together for so many years, yet here they are.
    Do you know if they were slabbed in a multi-holder?

Dead Cat Waltz Exonumia
    "Coin collecting for outcasts..."

edited February 5, 2023 7:51PM

@DCW said:

Do you know if they were slabbed in a multi-holder?

OP shows single consecutive s/n holders. Would have been a great dual holder set!

oih82w8 = Oh I Hate To Wait _defectus patientia_aka...Dr. Defecto - Curator of RMO's

BST transactions: dbldie55, jayPem, 78saen, UltraHighRelief, nibanny, liefgold, FallGuy, lkeigwin, mbogoman, Sandman70gt, keets, joeykoins, ianrussell (@GC), EagleEye, ThePennyLady, GRANDAM, Ilikecolor, Gluggo, okiedude, Voyageur, LJenkins11, fastfreddie, ms70, pursuitofliberty, ZoidMeister,Coin Finder, GotTheBug...
  • habaracahabaraca Posts: 1,957 ✭✭✭✭✭

this has to be Man made

PMD premeditated mint damage.

• FredWeinbergFredWeinberg Posts: 5,714 ✭✭✭✭✭

Legitimate mint error

Retired Collector & Dealer in Major Mint Error Coins & Currency since the 1960's.Co-Author of Whitman's "100 Greatest U.S. Mint Error Coins", and the Error Coin Encyclopedia, Vols., III & IV. Retired Authenticator for Major Mint Errors
    for PCGS. A 49+-Year PNG Member...A full numismatist since 1972, retired in 2022
  • habaracahabaraca Posts: 1,957 ✭✭✭✭✭

@FredWeinberg said:
    Legitimate mint error

Ok but please explain how this can happen..... so hard to believe human hands were not involved?

• 2windy2fish2windy2fish Posts: 793 ✭✭✭✭✭

I am not terribly interested in errors but this is the most interesting error i’ve ever seen!

• CaptHenwayCaptHenway Posts: 31,499 ✭✭✭✭✭

Let me begin by saying that I absolutely love this pair! No question a legitimate major Mint error. I would be pleased and proud to own it.
    And now, a major mystery. Look at the struck side of the Half Dime. Note the ring of peripheral toning near its circumference, typical of many a silver coin of the 19th Century.

On this Half Dime, much of the periphery is no where near the periphery of the half dollar. So how did those areas acquire peripheral toning?

TD

Numismatist. 50 year member ANA. Winner of four ANA Heath Literary Awards; three Wayte and Olga Raymond Literary Awards; Numismatist of the Year Award 2009, and Lifetime Achievement Award 2020. Winner numerous NLG Literary Awards.
  • @Zoins said:
    This coin was just purchased raw on Jan 23, by Russ on VAMWorld and it's already been certified by PCGS!

It's one of those amazing finds that is hard to believe is still possible in 2023 but it is!

Is this coin known to the collecting community? Is there any known pedigree for this?

Incredible set, just wow! I've never seen this set before, but it's certainly one of the most incredible 19th century mint errors in my opinion.

www.sullivannumismatics.com Dealer in Mint Error Coins.

@SullivanNumismatics said:

@Zoins said:

Incredible set, just wow! I've never seen this set before, but it's certainly one of the most incredible 19th century mint errors in my opinion.

Agree this is an incredible set and worth of consideration in the greatest mint errors!

• seanqseanq Posts: 8,568 ✭✭✭✭✭

@CaptHenway said:
    Let me begin by saying that I absolutely love this pair! No question a legitimate major Mint error. I would be pleased and proud to own it.
    And now, a major mystery. Look at the struck side of the Half Dime. Note the ring of peripheral toning near its circumference, typical of many a silver coin of the 19th Century.

On this Half Dime, much of the periphery is no where near the periphery of the half dollar. So how did those areas acquire peripheral toning?

TD

Slight difference in the alloy mix? Maybe the two pieces were stored separately? I think you would need to know something about how/where it has been for the previous 160 years to be able to give a comprehensive answer to that one.

Sean Reynolds

Incomplete planchets wanted, especially Lincoln Cents & type coins.

"Keep in mind that most of what passes as numismatic information is no more than tested opinion at best, and marketing blather at worst. However, I try to choose my words carefully, since I know that you guys are always watching." - Joe O'Connor
  • CaptHenwayCaptHenway Posts: 31,499 ✭✭✭✭✭

@seanq said:

@CaptHenway said:

TD

Slight difference in the alloy mix? Maybe the two pieces were stored separately? I think you would need to know something about how/where it has been for the previous 160 years to be able to give a comprehensive answer to that one.

Sean Reynolds

I wonder if the crushing effect of the upsetting process changes the molecular structure of the metal near the rim in some way that affects its toning? Think about those Morgan dollar that have the shiny "doubling" outside the stars, the date digits and the lettering. In those cases metal was partially struck up into the stars, digits and letters and then dragged, kicking and screaming, out past the corners of those design elements where the outlines did NOT tone because their molecular structure had been changed.

TD

Numismatist. 50 year member ANA. Winner of four ANA Heath Literary Awards; three Wayte and Olga Raymond Literary Awards; Numismatist of the Year Award 2009, and Lifetime Achievement Award 2020. Winner numerous NLG Literary Awards.
  • goldengolden Posts: 9,017 ✭✭✭✭✭

Holy Crap!

Was reverse O Mint die in the hammer position ?

• steelieleesteelielee Posts: 1,143 ✭✭✭

@golden said:
    Holy Crap!

Exactly....amazing. looking forward to the coin world story.

Many successful BST transactions with dozens of board members, references on request.
    edited February 7, 2023 6:53PM

@LindyS said:
    Was reverse O Mint die in the hammer position ?

I am pretty sure that the REV Die is the anvil position and the OBV is the hammer. I have been wrong before. Perhaps @dcarr could enlighten us?

• jonathanbjonathanb Posts: 3,411 ✭✭✭✭✭

@oih82w8 said:
    I am pretty sure that the REV Die is the anvil position and the OBV is the hammer. I have been wrong before. Perhaps @dcarr could enlighten us?

Traditionally, the reverse die is the anvil die. However, there are exceptions. The question is whether this is one of the exceptions.

Trivia question: How can you tell after the fact which die was the anvil die?

• BroadstruckBroadstruck Posts: 30,497 ✭✭✭✭✭

For some reason this looks familiar as I've seen it somewhere before in B&W.

Maybe in some mint error dealer listing from the 1970's?

To Err Is Human.... To Collect Err's Is Just Too Much Darn Tootin Fun!

@Broadstruck said:
    For some reason this looks familiar as I've seen it somewhere before in B&W.

Maybe in some mint error dealer listing from the 1970's?

I wouldn't be surprised if it was, and the ads would be amazing to see if it was!

I love going through old copies of type written catalogs from that time.

@jonathanb said:

@oih82w8 said:

Traditionally, the reverse die is the anvil die. However, there are exceptions. The question is whether this is one of the exceptions.

Trivia question: How can you tell after the fact which die was the anvil die?

That's a great question @jonathanb! How can you tell which die was the anvil die after the fact?

• RobertScotLoverRobertScotLover Posts: 545 ✭✭✭✭

what can I say, would love to own such a coin

• lermishlermish Posts: 1,843 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Twohawks1 said:
    I will have this mated pair at my table at the FUN show this Jan. Our table is in the same isle as PCGS. Heritage Coins & Collectibles if anyone wishes to see them in person.

Welcome to the board! Who are you so those of us going to FUN can keep an eye out?

• MrEurekaMrEureka Posts: 23,891 ✭✭✭✭✭

@CaptHenway said:

@seanq said:

@CaptHenway said:

TD

Sean Reynolds

I wonder if the crushing effect of the upsetting process changes the molecular structure of the metal near the rim in some way that affects its toning? Think about those Morgan dollar that have the shiny "doubling" outside the stars, the date digits and the lettering. In those cases metal was partially struck up into the stars, digits and letters and then dragged, kicking and screaming, out past the corners of those design elements where the outlines did NOT tone because their molecular structure had been changed.

TD

My best guess is very similar, but I suspect that the lighter crescent at the top of the half dime planchet is where it expanded beyond its original size and shape. And that the same effect is less pronounced closer to the rim because the collar constrained the expansion of the planchet to a greater extent near the rim than at the center of the dies.

Andy Lustig

Doggedly collecting coins of the Central American Republic.

Visit the Society of US Pattern Collectors at USPatterns.com.
  • silverpopsilverpop Posts: 6,590 ✭✭✭✭✭

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file