Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

Any medal collectors on here? What's your favorite piece.

Definitely in my top five! Columbian Exposition award medal, one of three specimens known in aluminum. Presented to President Grover Cleveland. :blush:

Tagged:

Comments

• Options
    Mr_ColomboMr_Colombo Posts: 42 ✭✭✭
    edited February 1, 2023 11:42AM

@dcarr said:

@dcarr said:

Thanks for sharing. What a beautiful medal and struck soon after the Civil War.

• Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

I do not collect medals, however, I have acquired one or two over the years. This is one of them... Cheers, RickO

• Options

@BillJones said:
    I have to go with the classic, but there are a number of other pieces in my collection which are not far behind.

The Libertas Americana medal was conceived and financed by Benjamin Franklin. He handed them out to various dignitaries. The king and queen of France each got one in gold. Those pieces were probably lost during the French Revolution. Important U.S. officials, like George Washington, received silver pieces and others received the bronze pieces, like the one below. There is a chance that Franklin handled this piece.

The obverse design was the inspiration for the Liberty Cap half cents and large cents, The reverse shows the French Minerva holding off the British lion, with its tail between its legs, while the infant Hercules, America, kills two snakes. The snakes are symbolic of the battles of Saratoga and Yorktown, A loose translation of the legend is "The infant is bold when provided with divine help."

The design was by Augustus Dupre, who in my opinion, was the best of the great French engravers of the period. It's a beautiful medal which gives a very political pat on the back to the French for the aid they gave to us during the revolution.

I absolutely love this all time classic. What a beauty and thanks for sharing!

• Options
    TomBTomB Posts: 20,730 ✭✭✭✭✭

It appears there is a strong Native American theme brewing here and this is another of my favorite pieces-

Thomas Bush Numismatics & Numismatic Photography

In honor of the memory of Cpl. Michael E. Thompson

• Options
    MaywoodMaywood Posts: 1,891 ✭✭✭✭✭

@TomB said: It appears there is a strong Native American theme brewing here and this is another of my favorite pieces

• Options
    gumby1234gumby1234 Posts: 5,425 ✭✭✭✭✭

Don't really collect medals but I have this 53 mm one

Successful BST with ad4400, Kccoin, lablover, pointfivezero, koynekwest, jwitten, coin22lover, HalfDimeDude, erwindoc, jyzskowsi, COINS MAKE CENTS, AlanSki, BryceM

• Options
    oldabeintxoldabeintx Posts: 1,632 ✭✭✭✭✭
  • Options
    GoldenEggGoldenEgg Posts: 1,923 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Mr_Colombo said:
    Definitely in my top five! Columbian Exposition award medal, one of three specimens known in aluminum. Presented to President Grover Cleveland. :blush:

If this is in your top 5, I’d like to see your other 4! I like the way that it has oxidized. It has a very appealing effect.

• Options
    coinkatcoinkat Posts: 22,769 ✭✭✭✭✭

Unable to select a favorite or limit my favorites to a list of 20. I collect medals and it is truly amazing what exists and what can be found.

@TomB

I did not realize the 1939 Royal visit in Silver was limited to 260- I can't recall if I have one in silver

Experience the World through Numismatics...it's more than you can imagine.

• Options

@Mr_Colombo said: They are fairly common in bronze. I believe there is much more than the 400-600 estimate that is referenced in books.

According to the link below, By the fair's end, 23,757 medals and diplomas were awarded to exhibitors for their contributions. Among them was James Walter Atkinson of Guelph Township, who received this medal (2014.13.1.03 ) for his entry of oats. Certainly this isn't to say that Eglit 90 encompasses the bulk of that, but it isn't unreasonable to consider that between 2k-10k may have been issued. The book cover pictured is for The Royal Commission For The Chicago Exposition, 1893. Official Catalogue of the British Section and is over 400 pages of exhibitors. The WCE was enormous and IIRC the medals in question, E-90, were sort of like today's "participation trophy" and were given for exhibiting, not necessarily winning a competition.

https://wellington.ca/en/discover/mus-medal1893chicagoworldfair.aspx#:~:text=By%20the%20fair's%20end%2C%2023%2C757,from%20the%201893%20World's%20Fair.

• Options

Here's another link to an old Stack's listing:
    https://auctions.stacksbowers.com/lots/view/3-S6FZ1/1892-1893-worlds-columbian-exposition-award-medal-by-augustus-saint-gaudens-and-charles-e-barber-eglit-90-rulau-x3-bronze-choice-

From the above link they state: The hubs and dies were produced by the U.S. Mint, while the actual striking of the medals was farmed out to the Scovill Manufacturing Company, which painstakingly produced 23,597 medals, creating and replacing the insert die for each individual awardee between strikings. The medals were ready only in 1896, long after the Expo had ended and closed.

So according to Stack's there were 23,597 examples of Eglit 90 produced!!! :p

• Options
    NysotoNysoto Posts: 3,769 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited February 2, 2023 9:13AM

Commodore William Bainbridge Medal, USS Constitution destroys HMS Java in 1812 - Pugnando. Engraved by Moritz Furst. Little known to numismatists, Robert Scot engraved federal revenue stamps at the US Mint which financed US Navy ships for the Quasi-War, First Barbary War, and the War of 1812

Federal stamp engraved by Robert Scot in 1798 for the State of New Hampshire

Robert Scot: Engraving Liberty - biography of US Mint's first chief engraver
  • Options
    drwstr123drwstr123 Posts: 7,028 ✭✭✭✭✭

• Options
    telephoto1telephoto1 Posts: 4,744 ✭✭✭✭✭

Great pieces here...many with equally impressive provenance. Thanks for sharing them.

RIP Mom- 1932-2012
  • Options
    FrankHFrankH Posts: 773 ✭✭✭✭✭

Now in NGC MS62 holder. HK-623 Aluminum was precious back then.

• Options
    BarberianBarberian Posts: 3,039 ✭✭✭✭✭

I don't collect medals, but I do have this one.

3 rim nicks away from Good
  • Options
    AotearoaAotearoa Posts: 1,367 ✭✭✭✭✭

I have just this one. It looks a bit funky because it’s been lacquered.

Smitten with DBLCs.

• Options
    tokenprotokenpro Posts: 846 ✭✭✭✭✭

@coinkat said:
    Unable to select a favorite or limit my favorites to a list of 20. I collect medals and it is truly amazing what exists and what can be found.

@TomB

I did not realize the 1939 Royal visit in Silver was limited to 260- I can't recall if I have one in silver

I would be interested in the source of the 260 mintage in silver as well. BHM (British Historical Medals/Brown) reports that 250,000 medals were struck in the 32mm size (not specified as silver strikes but only the silver medal was 32mm), 500,000 in 30mm (only the larger size bronze were 30mm) and 2,500,000 in 25mm (bronze only in 25mm - I think I own half of those). There were 125 silver pieces struck in 54mm (which are rarely seen) as well as 10 in 54mm gold.

Based on the number of examples I've seen over the years and the five or six silvers I have in stock right now I would say the 260 mintage is questionable.

• Options

@Maywood

From the above link they state: The hubs and dies were produced by the U.S. Mint, while the actual striking of the medals was farmed out to the Scovill Manufacturing Company, which painstakingly produced 23,597 medals, creating and replacing the insert die for each individual awardee between strikings. The medals were ready only in 1896, long after the Expo had ended and closed.

So according to Stack's there were 23,597 examples of Eglit 90 produced!!! :p

I agree with the survival rate of the medal (2k+). From what I have researched, the world's fair prize medal was intended to be given to most exhibitor's and influential people of the day. It was by invitation only so if you were deemed worthy of an exhibit or notable then you were recognized. Tiffany, Gorham silver and even Augustus Saint-Gaudens was in attendance. He was the artistic director and oversaw the decorative program. The awardees were selected beforehand and unfortunately waited until 1896 to receive the medals. The mint intended 23,737 medals to be struck :)

• Options

@GoldenEgg

If this is in your top 5, I’d like to see your other 4! I like the way that it has oxidized. It has a very appealing effect.

Thank you! The oxidation on this is amazing. It's mainly in the recessed areas and the high points/lettering are highly reflective. I tend to take images with my cell phone so definitely doesn't do it justice. Well, ask and you shall receive! Here are a few others.

Charles X Astrolabe medal in silver (1826): Commemorating the voyage of discovery of the Corvette 'Astrolabe' for the first Dumont D'Urville expedition. Jules Dumont d'Urville was a French Navigator/Explorer & Naval Officer. The French Naval Secretary had 30 silver and 450 bronze medals struck to give to native dignitaries on his routes though West/South Pacific Australia, New Zealand and Antarctica. This specimen was purchased from Australia.

Washington Before Boston medal (47-B) in bronze. The reverse has uniform filing that impacts George Washington, hindquarters of horse, cannons, rim. I have never came across this type of filing before and intrigued why someone would do this a century or two ago.

Washington Before Boston medal (post 1789) in stoneware. Encased in hand chased brass frame.

• Options

@Nysoto

Commodore William Bainbridge Medal, USS Constitution destroys HMS Java in 1812 - Pugnando. Engraved by Moritz Furst. Little known to numismatists, Robert Scot engraved federal revenue stamps at the US Mint which financed US Navy ships for the Quasi-War, First Barbary War, and the War of 1812

Beautiful medal! Is this silvered bronze?

• Options
    NysotoNysoto Posts: 3,769 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Mr_Colombo Yes, Stack's described the medal as silvered bronze 3/2021.

I have just a few early US medals, but collect a lot of WA State medals of local interest. Here is another medal by Moritz Furst from John Kraljevich:

Robert Scot: Engraving Liberty - biography of US Mint's first chief engraver
  • Options
    7Jaguars7Jaguars Posts: 7,254 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited February 3, 2023 6:18AM

Really the best Arnold Machin rendition (and VERY high relief) of the late Queen Elizabeth II. May she Rest In Peace.

Nearly 3 ounces of wonderfully toned silver and even though hallmarked as sterling bought for 20 USD off ebay about 5 years ago....

Love that Milled British (1830-1960)
    Well, just Love coins, period.
  • Options

• Options
    anablepanablep Posts: 5,029 ✭✭✭✭✭

The only medal I have; Paris, 1904, gilt.

Always looking for attractive rim toned Morgan and Peace dollars in PCGS or (older) ANA/ANACS holders!

"Bongo hurtles along the rain soaked highway of life on underinflated bald retread tires."

~Wayne
  • Options
    kirkminkkirkmink Posts: 172 ✭✭✭✭

Had my interest piqued by a recent BST ad here in the forum. So I kept an eye out and came across a decent price on this piece here. A 1914 Panama Canal completion medal in a low four-digit #.

"Why waste time learning, when ignorance is instantaneous?"- Calvin and Hobbes

• Options
    OAKSTAROAKSTAR Posts: 5,806 ✭✭✭✭✭

I'm not a medal collector. Got this from a vendor inside the Brandenburg Gate (eastern sector) in 1990, shortly after the wall came down.

Disclaimer: I'm not a dealer, trader, grader, investor or professional numismatist. I'm just a hobbyist. (To protect me but mostly you! 🤣 )

• Options
    DreamcrusherDreamcrusher Posts: 210 ✭✭✭✭
    edited February 16, 2023 8:16PM

My favorite is my bronze Edgar Allan Poe Medal that was created for the 2008 Baltimore ANA National Money Show. 125 bronze were minted and I have #13. I think Poe would have chosen that number had he had the chance. I was born in Baltimore so it has special significance for me.

• Options
    FlatwoodsFlatwoods Posts: 4,122 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited February 17, 2023 5:07PM

My type of thread! I have a few medals.
    I love them all but I will share one of my favorites.

Struck to commemorate the Battle of Callao.
    The obverse depicts four Amazon warriors which represent Peru, Chile, Ecuador and Argentina and their alliance against Spain. The reverse is an aerial view of the battle.
    Seldom encountered and never any nicer than this piece that I'm aware of.

• Options
    1946Hamm1946Hamm Posts: 768 ✭✭✭✭✭

Have a good day, Gary
  • Options

@Flatwoods
    Thanks for sharing. That is a gorgeous medal and one I have not seen before. Love the Amazon women!

• Options
    FlatwoodsFlatwoods Posts: 4,122 ✭✭✭✭✭

Must be a few new players for Wiener medals.
    Stacks sold a ton this morning. Holy smoke!
    Some of the prices defy logic but I'm ok with that. :)

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file