Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

PCGS Reconsideration Results (w/photos)

P0CKETCHANGEP0CKETCHANGE Posts: 2,259 ✭✭✭✭✭

I dropped 15 PCGS-holdered coins off at FUN for Reconsideration service. They all arrived back in the mail this week, a little over 3 weeks later, which I was thrilled with. Overall, I was a bit disappointed with the results as I'd hand-selected each coin as strong candidates, but you know what they say—"ownership adds a point".

Submission Stats:
Total Coins Submitted = 15
Total Coins Upgraded = 2 (13.3% success rate)
CAC Stickered Coins Submitted = 4
CAC Stickered Coins Upgraded = 2 (50% success rate)
Total Grading Costs (w/shipping) = $686
Total Value Upgrade (PCGS Guide) = $700
Net Gain = $14 (lol)

I was very pleased that this 1928 MS64 CAC Peace came back in a 64+ holder, which represented the vast majority of my value gain ($600). It moved from a POP 2198/634 to a POP 155/479.

The second coin that upgraded is my 1927 MS64 CAC Saint, which also came back in a 64+ holder, representing a rather modest ($100) gain. There are over 56k in 64 and 2449 in 64+. I was hoping for a 65.

Other thoughts:
While I submitted 4 CAC Stickered Coins, there were 4 other coins in the submission that are CAC-approved but do not currently have the beans on the holders (I had them reholdered previously). It was stupid to submit them before having them restickered, as @winesteven recently confirmed that the graders do see the full holder during Reconsideration.

10 of the coins were submitted as "plus only" reconsideration, and the other 5 were submitted as open-ended (meaning they could bump a full grade or more). The Saint was on the open-ended submission and got a plus. Some submissions I truly didn't want to bump more than a +, but I probably should have included more in the open-ended category. My logic was that if I submitted as plus only, it might raise my chances to get bumps for coins I didn't think could make a full grade jump, but I have no evidence to support that logic, and it didn't work out in this case either.

Next stop for the upgrades (and the rejects) --> CAC

Nothing is as expensive as free money.

Comments

• Options
    DeplorableDanDeplorableDan Posts: 2,564 ✭✭✭✭✭

Can I see TVs of coins that didn’t upgrade? Pick your top 3 that surprised you 🤓

• Options
    davewesendavewesen Posts: 5,862 ✭✭✭✭✭

do you really feel the CAC sticker has an effect on whether a coin upgrades?

I did a reconsideration a couple years ago and went 0/4 :(
    a couple of those previously had stickers but were reholdered and not restickered yet.

• Options

@davewesen said:
    do you really feel the CAC sticker has an effect on whether a coin upgrades?

I did a reconsideration a couple years ago and went 0/4 :(
    a couple of those previously had stickers but were reholdered and not restickered yet.

Speaking for myself only, Its only speculation but I'm sure it doesn't hurt ;)

• Options
    Coin FinderCoin Finder Posts: 6,954 ✭✭✭✭✭

Some of these coins may sell for more than you think so you probably did better than $14!!! Thanks for sharing!

• Options
    logger7logger7 Posts: 8,094 ✭✭✭✭✭

I'm glad you got the two upgrades.

There are plenty of "+" graded PCGS coins that do not cac, such as $20 gold coins.

• Options
    DisneyFanDisneyFan Posts: 1,725 ✭✭✭✭✭

Thank you for sharing your hard learned experiences. It's always tough when it doesn't turn out the way you expected.

• Options
    291fifth291fifth Posts: 23,945 ✭✭✭✭✭

I suspect that actually realizing a gain of $14 in the real market will be close to impossible, especially when selling costs are fully considered.

All glory is fleeting.
  • Options
    ToreyTorey Posts: 132 ✭✭✭

Im in the same boat with @Winesteven , no upgrades on my last few Reconsideration submissions.

• Options
    keyman64keyman64 Posts: 15,456 ✭✭✭✭✭

Congrats! It seems like you did better than most people I hear about. I have 3 in for regrade to see if I can win. I’ll do a similar post…granted, it’s only three coins though.

"If it's not fun, it's not worth it." - KeyMan64
    Looking for Top Pop Mercury Dime Varieties & High Grade Mercury Dime Toners. :smile:
  • Options

@291fifth said:
    I suspect that actually realizing a gain of $14 in the real market will be close to impossible, especially when selling costs are fully considered.

Haha, sure, I don't disagree—I figure that's obvious given the calculation is just PCGS Guide -minus- grading/shipping costs. I'm not selling anyhow :)

• Options
    1madman1madman Posts: 1,298 ✭✭✭✭✭

“My logic was that if I submitted as plus only, it might raise my chances to get bumps for coins I didn't think could make a full grade jump, but I have no evidence to support that logic, and it didn't work out in this case either.“

The exact opposite of that logic is correct. Never, ever check the plus only box on the form unless you specifically require it for a top pop Everyman set (58+).

• Options
    ElcontadorElcontador Posts: 7,425 ✭✭✭✭✭

The reconsideration is worthwhile if you want to keep the original holder in case the coin does not upgrade. Otherwise, a resubmission is adequate. Don't know if there' s a price difference re doing this.

I always consider grading costs before a submission. Granted, I never submit more than four coins at a time and I go through Heritage, so my fees may be less than others pay.

I always have my coins reviewed before submitting them by someone who knows quite a bit more than I do. Can reduce grading fees on coins that probably won't make it.

"Vou invadir o Nordeste,
    "Seu cabra da peste,
    "Sou Mangueira......."
  • Options
    OldIndianNutKaseOldIndianNutKase Posts: 2,700 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited January 31, 2023 9:40PM

Generally, I only submit coins for reconsideration if they have a mint defect or toning perhaps that should not have affected the grade. Regrade or a crackout is the more likely way to get an upgrade. But if you crack out a toned coin you run the risk that it will be regraded Questionable Color.

I am not a dealer and I have come to accept the assigned grades as I am not looking to resell for a profit. And reconsideration might be somewhat insulting to our hosts. Maybe better to cross to NGC and if you get a higher grade cross back to PCGS.

OINK

• Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

@PocketChange... Thanks for providing the details on your submission... Glad you got some upgrades, and those are two beautiful coins. Cheers, RickO

• Options
    Cougar1978Cougar1978 Posts: 7,644 ✭✭✭✭✭

Thanks for sharing. Really impressive coins!

So Cali Area - Coins & Currency
  • Options
    remumcremumc Posts: 1,265 ✭✭✭

I sent in two NGC slabbed Mercury dimes for crossover & 7 PCGS Mercs for regrade on Monday for Express service. All the PCGS dimes are + graded, 2 are CAC, 3 others were CAC before being re-holdered a year ago. I'll report what happens.

Regards,

Wayne

www.waynedriskillminiatures.com
  • Options

@DeplorableDan said:
    Can I see TVs of coins that didn’t upgrade? Pick your top 3 that surprised you 🤓

I debated entertaining your request since I’m opening myself to a lot more criticism here, but maybe I can learn something. Here are three that I believed had a good chance of an upgrade. Comments welcome from all.

1858 1c AU58 CAC—I could easily see this in a 62 holder, so figured 58+ wasn’t a huge stretch. It’s one of the CAC coins I submitted without the sticker on the holder, so I’ll probably resubmit after a trip to CAC. There are very few 58+ coins of this type, so it’s worth trying again.

1833 1/2c MS64 CAC—This coin is “all there”, well-struck, lustrous, evenly colored and highly eye-appealing with the subtle blue tinges. It does have the sticker on slab. I’m thinking perhaps a few too much chatter on the obv? I’ll probably try again.

1914 $10 AU58 CAC—This has to be one of the nicest AU58 eagles out there. It has eye appeal that punches well above the holder grade, so if this isn’t a 58+, I don’t know what is. Another one that didn’t have the CAC sticker on the slab, so I’ll be sending it back once I get that done.

• Options

@P0CKETCHANGE said:

@DeplorableDan said:

I debated entertaining your request since I’m opening myself to a lot more criticism here, but maybe I can learn something. Here are three that I believed had a good chance of an upgrade. Comments welcome from all.

I had assumed as much, and you wouldn’t have hurt my feelings if you didn’t entertain the request. I’m sure some readers may be thinking “Bah, Humbug! Just leave them as is, and get off my lawn!”

The reality is that the holder/upgrade/plus game plays a big part in buying, selling, and registry sets, and I don’t have much experience with it. I learn a lot from posts like this and I appreciate the discussion on the topic. Looking forward to reading more feedback on those coins from others.

• Options

@P0CKETCHANGE said:

1914 $10 AU58 CAC—This has to be one of the nicest AU58 eagles out there. It has eye appeal that punches well above the holder grade, so if this isn’t a 58+, I don’t know what is. Another one that didn’t have the CAC sticker on the slab, so I’ll be sending it back once I get that done.

The obverse is really nice. My guess is this coin will not CAC because of the few dings on the reverse.

• Options

@DisneyFan said:

@P0CKETCHANGE said:

The obverse is really nice. My guess is this coin will not CAC because of the few dings on the reverse.

That one is already CAC, did you mean it will not + because of the reverse dings? I’ve been thinking that a 58+ has to have very little in the way of contact marks, and but the slightest amount of wear on the high points. Basically, I feel that a 58+ is reserved for an AU64 or AU65, and that coin looks more like an AU63, just my opinion. For 1914 there are 381 graded in 58, and only 5 in 58+.

• Options

@DeplorableDan said:

That one is already CAC, did you mean it will not + because of the reverse dings?

You are right, I forgot -

"While I submitted 4 CAC Stickered Coins, there were 4 other coins in the submission that are CAC-approved but do not currently have the beans on the holders (I had them reholdered previously). "

While I have a few CAC + coins, I have no experience with submitting coins for a "+."

• Options
    MonsterCoinzMonsterCoinz Posts: 1,512 ✭✭✭✭✭

@winesteven said:
    On my Show submission at FUN AND my mailed Express submission, I got shut out on both! This is the first time in many years that has happened! Oh well.

Same. I just spent $222 on a single coin not upgrading. :'(

www.MonsterCoinz.com | My Toned Showcase

Check out my iPhone app SlabReader!

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file