Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

Encased Postage. Let's see 'um.

Comments

• Options
    jacrispiesjacrispies Posts: 729 ✭✭✭✭✭

I have seen these before but not often. Looking forward to the other examples posted!

"For the wages of sin is death, but the free gift of God is eternal life in Christ Jesus our Lord" Romans 6:23. Young fellow suffering from Bust Half fever.

• Options
    PerryHallPerryHall Posts: 45,491 ✭✭✭✭✭

Very cool. B)

Worry is the interest you pay on a debt you may not owe.

• Options
    pursuitoflibertypursuitofliberty Posts: 6,619 ✭✭✭✭✭

Don't see them much anymore ... but now that I know a friend who collect's 'em ... B)

Hope we see a bunch posted

“We are only their care-takers,” he posed, “if we take good care of them, then centuries from now they may still be here … ”

Todd - BHNC #242
  • Options
    MWallaceMWallace Posts: 3,883 ✭✭✭✭✭

@pursuitofliberty said:
    Don't see them much anymore ... but now that I know a friend who collect's 'em ... B)

If you're speaking of me, it's the only one I have. I wish I had more. For a couple of years I've been selling off much of my collection and slabbing the rest. I checked with them all and ICG is the only TPG that slabs them. My hat's off to them for doing so.

• Options
    DCWDCW Posts: 6,997 ✭✭✭✭✭

I'm not sure why PCGS or NGC never got around to slabbing them. They're a real part of our history, stemming from the same shortage of coinage that lead to civil war tokens.
    I've never owned any, but that will likely change in the future.

Dead Cat Waltz Exonumia
    "Coin collecting for outcasts..."

• Options

@DCW said:
    I'm not sure why PCGS or NGC never got around to slabbing them. They're a real part of our history, stemming from the same shortage of coinage that lead to civil war tokens.
    I've never owned any, but that will likely change in the future.

I agree totally. I won't say which one, but one of the other three TPGs responded to me in a sarcastic way when I asked if they slab encased postage, "We don't do stamps, we do coins!!" :s

• Options

I went to a small auction once. There was a lot of about 12 of them in there. I did a little research and found that one of them was very rare. Like this was the 3rd known. Estimate was $100-$200. I figured I would go to the auction and buy them cheap. That lot sold for $19,000+juice. No word of a lie. The person traveled from NY and I think he was going to win that lot no matter how much it cost. Everyone was stunned including the auctioneer.
    It was a pretty cool experience.

• Options

@Watchtower said:
    I went to a small auction once. There was a lot of about 12 of them in there. I did a little research and found that one of them was very rare. Like this was the 3rd known. Estimate was $100-$200. I figured I would go to the auction and buy them cheap. That lot sold for $19,000+juice. No word of a lie. The person traveled from NY and I think he was going to win that lot no matter how much it cost. Everyone was stunned including the auctioneer.
    It was a pretty cool experience.

WOW!! That's amazing. I guess at least two other people saw the rare one too. The seller must've been thrilled.

• Options

He was you could see it in his face. They arer all in great shape. I don't know how they grade them but by coin standards I would say xf/au. They still had all the silver coating on them. Just think rarest of the rare. This was an estate sale and all the numismatic items were from a chest in the attic. Classic attic find. I left with a bag of tokens. In that bag was a 1909 penny in one of those button type things that was super red and perfect. It's was fun. Auctions in person can get you in trouble that's for sure.

• Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

These are interesting. I have rarely seen mention of them, and have done no research. Had no idea that collectors could pay such premiums as noted above. Have never seen one at a show or shop. Cheers, RickO

• Options

@ricko said:
    These are interesting. I have rarely seen mention of them, and have done no research. Had no idea that collectors could pay such premiums as noted above. Have never seen one at a show or shop. Cheers, RickO

There are several on eBay and they aren't cheap. I imagine their survival rate is very low.

• Options
    Walkerguy21DWalkerguy21D Posts: 11,162 ✭✭✭✭✭

I remember seeing them regularly at medium sized shows 30-40 years ago, but like a lot of other things, they’ve disappeared. I recall thinking they were neat, but pricey even back then.

Successful BST transactions with 170 members. Recent: Tonedeaf, Shane6596, Piano1, Ikenefic, RG, PCGSPhoto, stman, Don'tTelltheWife, Boosibri, Ron1968, snowequities, VTchaser, jrt103, SurfinxHI, 78saen, bp777, FHC, RYK, JTHawaii, Opportunity, Kliao, bigtime36, skanderbeg, split37, thebigeng, acloco, Toninginthblood, OKCC, braddick, Coinflip, robcool, fastfreddie, tightbudget, DBSTrader2, nickelsciolist, relaxn, Eagle eye, soldi, silverman68, ElKevvo, sawyerjosh, Schmitz7, talkingwalnut2, konsole, sharkman987, sniocsu, comma, jesbroken, David1234, biosolar, Sullykerry, Moldnut, erwindoc, MichaelDixon, GotTheBug
  • Options
    JBKJBK Posts: 14,831 ✭✭✭✭✭

I was interested to learn that they were also made in Europe (maybe France) in the post-WWI years.

• Options

@JBK said:
    I was interested to learn that they were also made in Europe (maybe France) in the post-WWI years.

There are some foreign encased stamps currently on eBay. Apparently, they borrowed the idea from the US.

• Options
    pursuitoflibertypursuitofliberty Posts: 6,619 ✭✭✭✭✭

@MWallace said:

@pursuitofliberty said:

If you're speaking of me, it's the only one I have. I wish I had more. For a couple of years I've been selling off much of my collection and slabbing the rest. I checked with them all and ICG is the only TPG that slabs them. My hat's off to them for doing so.

>

Mike, yes, I was speaking about you. Doesn't mean you might not want another one, does it? ;) And yes, I remember what we talked about with the downsizing and such.

The funny thing is I saw three of these over the Christmas holidays in an antique shop we stopped by. I looked at them, but we were doing other things and I never even inquired about a price or studied them really close. Maybe I should have after reading the post from @Watchtower . I'll have to see if my Brother will be back up that way (they're not near me) and ask him to stop in to see if they are still there and send me some images (and ask what they want for them).

Kind of cool that ICG is slabbing them.

“We are only their care-takers,” he posed, “if we take good care of them, then centuries from now they may still be here … ”

Todd - BHNC #242

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file