Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

Trying Out ANACS

santinidollarsantinidollar Posts: 1,056 ✭✭✭✭✭

I decided to send my eight Daniel Carr fantasy overstrikes for slabbing and grading by ANACS. It’s my first dealing with the service.

I mailed the package Saturday morning. On Monday evening, I got an email from ANACS saying they had it. Without any guarantees, ANACS says the projected return date is March 6.

I’ll update the group as warranted. Hopefully, it’ll be a good experience.

Do any of the other grading services handle Carr pieces? Thanks!

Comments

• Options
    DeplorableDanDeplorableDan Posts: 2,545 ✭✭✭✭✭

I sent a Dcarr piece to Anacs as well, that was my first time time using the service. It was very quick and I think the coins were back to me within two weeks. I had also called in to customer service to ask a question and they were helpful. Very pleasant experience overall.

• Options
    COCollectorCOCollector Posts: 1,295 ✭✭✭✭✭

Over the years I've sent about 100 Carr pieces to ANACS.

Projected return dates are realistic. And if your submission is only Carr pieces, I've seen a few recent reports that turnaround is quick (weeks, not months).

Successful BST transactions with forum members thebigeng, SPalladino, Zoidmeister, coin22lover, coinsarefun, jwitten, CommemKing.

• Options
    gumby1234gumby1234 Posts: 5,428 ✭✭✭✭✭

I have an ICG graded 17 Peace. So I would guess they grade them as well.

Successful BST with ad4400, Kccoin, lablover, pointfivezero, koynekwest, jwitten, coin22lover, HalfDimeDude, erwindoc, jyzskowsi, COINS MAKE CENTS, AlanSki, BryceM

• Options
    JimnightJimnight Posts: 10,820 ✭✭✭✭✭

I think you'll be happy!

• Options
    OAKSTAROAKSTAR Posts: 5,822 ✭✭✭✭✭

I have one DC items I sent to ANACS as well. It's the only one I have and I'm very happy with it. ANACS customer service and turnaround time is great!

What item did you submit? Post it here when you get it back.

Disclaimer: I'm not a dealer, trader, grader, investor or professional numismatist. I'm just a hobbyist. (To protect me but mostly you! 🤣 )

• Options
    GRANDAMGRANDAM Posts: 8,376 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited January 28, 2023 7:39AM

ICG grades them.

GrandAm :)
  • Options
    BStrauss3BStrauss3 Posts: 3,166 ✭✭✭✭✭

@dcarr said:
    SEGS also grades all "Carr" items.

Is SEGS still in business? The SSL certificate on their website expired 10 days ago (1/18/2023)

-----Burton
    ANA 50 year/Life Member (now "Emeritus")
  • Options
    pcgscacgoldpcgscacgold Posts: 2,638 ✭✭✭✭✭

I have had great luck with ANACS and will handing over 15-20 coins at the upcoming Central States show. Paul was great to work with and made sure I was made whole on a UPS theft that occurred. Excellent company.

• Options
    SPalladinoSPalladino Posts: 832 ✭✭✭✭✭

I have been using ANACS for all of my Dan Carr / Moonlight Mint pieces for years. (all except the 50mm diameter pieces - ANACS does not have oversized coin holders, and will not accept these pieces)
    I'm very satisfied.
    Recently I sent a submission of 8 Dan Carr pieces to ANACS: shipped out on 1/9/2023, opened at ANACS on 1/13/2023, return shipped from ANACS on 1/19/2023....6 days from opened to return shipped!!!
    I just sent another 9 Dan Carr pieces from a recent purchase to ANACS yesterday.
    (ps - while PCGS receives the majority of my US coin submissions, I have also used ANACS for other US coin grading as well)

Steve Palladino
    - Ike Group member
    - DIVa (Designated Ike Varieties) Project co-lead and attributor
  • Options
    TRTR Posts: 50 ✭✭✭

I just sent them 20 more coins last week. Their slabs sell well for me on Ebay. Accurate grading and fast.

• Options

No offense to the home team here, but I do send a lot to ANACS because they grade the most varieties of the top 3. The most recent experience is frustrating since it was opened on October 20th, and I still am still waiting. Usually the turnaround time is about 2 months.

• Options
    DCWDCW Posts: 6,976 ✭✭✭✭✭

There are pros and cons with ANACS. As mentioned their turnaround time and customer service is great. It is also very economical.
    I have found their grading to be all over the map, though. The marketplace certainly doesn't view the grade on the label in the same way as PCGS and NGC. The holders are also the absolute fugliest of all TPG slabs.
    So, if you need something on the quick to ensure authenticity, and you're not selling a super high value piece, it's not a bad way to go. They also do all of Dan Carr's medals, which is very smart. Most TPG services have inexplicably turned down this cash cow, so they presently reap the rewards of this enterprise.

Dead Cat Waltz Exonumia
    "Coin collecting for outcasts..."

• Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

I have not sent any of my dcarr pieces for slabbing.... Might do that on a couple, not the pocket piece though... :D;) Cheers, RickO

• Options

@ricko wait till it gets down of Fr02 or Po01... then you can start an everyman fad of DC pieces...

-----Burton
  • Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

@BStrauss3 ... :D Good idea, but I do not carry it all the time... It is the one with the buildings in a middle finger array... So usually have a purpose when I carry it. ;) Cheers, RickO

• Options
    sparky64sparky64 Posts: 7,026 ✭✭✭✭✭

I value the authentication part of their service over the grading part, especially when the grade really isn't important.

"If I say something in the woods and my wife isn't there to hear it.....am I still wrong?"

My Washington Quarter Registry set...in progress

• Options
    burfle23burfle23 Posts: 2,192 ✭✭✭✭✭

Actually don't own a DC; I use ANACS for grading and variety attribution of early copper.

Authentication can be an occasional issue with any of the TPGs- my 5 ANACS from my Dark Side collection:

• Options
    UpGrayeddUpGrayedd Posts: 497 ✭✭✭✭✭

@dcarr said:

@DCW said:
    There are pros and cons with ANACS. As mentioned their turnaround time and customer service is great. It is also very economical.
    I have found their grading to be all over the map, though. The marketplace certainly doesn't view the grade on the label in the same way as PCGS and NGC. The holders are also the absolute fugliest of all TPG slabs.
    So, if you need something on the quick to ensure authenticity, and you're not selling a super high value piece, it's not a bad way to go. They also do all of Dan Carr's medals, which is very smart. Most TPG services have inexplicably turned down this cash cow, so they presently reap the rewards of this enterprise.

I like the shape and geometry of the ANACS holders above all other grading services.
    I really dislike the little stacking tabs on PCGS holders.

From my recent observations, ANACS has been grading more conservatively than other 3rd parties.

I like the ANACS slabs as well, except for the yellow color. I would never send them any top dollar coins, but ANACS certainly has their niche. I just sent them 37 "lower value" coins including my 1919 DDO Mercury Dime to take advantage of their $13 January special. I'm sure some here will think that it was a poor decision, but I'm on a roll and I've got a reputation to uphold.

Philippians 4:4-7

• Options
    COCollectorCOCollector Posts: 1,295 ✭✭✭✭✭

Another plus: There is no annual membership fee for ANACS submissions.

Successful BST transactions with forum members thebigeng, SPalladino, Zoidmeister, coin22lover, coinsarefun, jwitten, CommemKing.

• Options
    ZoinsZoins Posts: 33,900 ✭✭✭✭✭

I agree that the ANACS holders have their advantages in being able to read the labels from the top and ease of stacking.

I really wish they had a service like TrueView or PhotoVision. There are more and more PhotoVision images available but still not on Cert Verification yet. I see then on Heritage so I'm hoping PhotoVision templates on Cert Verification isn't too far away.

• Options

ANACS does, in fact, have a photo service.
    Completely useless last time I checked. You pay something like 3 dollars for a photo, and they take a cellphone type shot of the coin in the slab. Horrible. But I guess it a type of validation that the coin exists in their system

Dead Cat Waltz Exonumia

• Options

@Barberian said:
    I like the way ANACS holders smell. It's as if they have been sprayed with the smell of rich Corinthian leather.

Do I have to worry that you are sniffing coins?

-----Burton
  • Options

@BStrauss3 said:

@Barberian said:
    I like the way ANACS holders smell. It's as if they have been sprayed with the smell of rich Corinthian leather.

I always wondered from where did PCGS employ the sniffer? :D

Dead Cat Waltz Exonumia

• Options
    bearcavebearcave Posts: 3,993 ✭✭✭✭✭

35 years ago I sent verification and variety to ANACS. And high end coins to PCGS. PCGS wouldn't do them and ANACS would.

Ken
  • Options

r/coins on Reddit has don't put coins up your nose as one of the rules

-----Burton
  • Options

I’ll post them when they return. Thanks all!

• Options

Lightning fast turnaround. That is the biggest benefit to their service.
    Congrats to you and glad you are happy with the grades!

Dead Cat Waltz Exonumia

• Options
    edited February 9, 2023 12:04AM

Here they are. Arrived today:

• Options
    davewesendavewesen Posts: 5,856 ✭✭✭✭✭

those are very nice, did you have to pay extra to get the Carr signature label?

• Options
    pcgscacgoldpcgscacgold Posts: 2,638 ✭✭✭✭✭

Excellent @santinidollar
    I am up to about 15 Dan Carr items that I will be handing to ANACS at Central States. They do a great job.

@davewesen The DC label comes automatically at no cost. The Black signature is a facsimile. If it is Blue (older holders) it is actually hand signed by Daniel.

• Options

@BStrauss3 said:

@dcarr said:
    SEGS also grades all "Carr" items.

Is SEGS still in business? The SSL certificate on their website expired 10 days ago (1/18/2023)

Just a follow-up: cert was renewed Fri, 03 Feb 2023 19:47:46 GMT

-----Burton
  • Options
    spyglassdesignspyglassdesign Posts: 1,512 ✭✭✭✭✭

@BStrauss3 said:

@Barberian said:

Better than glue or other things? 😅

• Options
    skier07skier07 Posts: 3,694 ✭✭✭✭✭

ANACS is great for lower valued coins because their pricing is very competitive. I would pass on most higher priced coins because they sell for less money compared to PCGS or NGC.

• Options
    oih82w8oih82w8 Posts: 11,902 ✭✭✭✭✭

I like the services that ANACS provides...I just don't like their holder.

oih82w8 = Oh I Hate To Wait _defectus patientia_aka...Dr. Defecto - Curator of RMO's

BST transactions: dbldie55, jayPem, 78saen, UltraHighRelief, nibanny, liefgold, FallGuy, lkeigwin, mbogoman, Sandman70gt, keets, joeykoins, ianrussell (@GC), EagleEye, ThePennyLady, GRANDAM, Ilikecolor, Gluggo, okiedude, Voyageur, LJenkins11, fastfreddie, ms70, pursuitofliberty, ZoidMeister,Coin Finder, GotTheBug, edwardjulio, Coinnmore...
  • Options
    Namvet69Namvet69 Posts: 8,673 ✭✭✭✭✭

You did well grasshopper. Dans works always present well when graded and holdered. Peace Roy

BST: endeavor1967, synchr, kliao, Outhaul, Donttellthewife, U1Chicago, ajaan, mCarney1173, SurfinHi, MWallace, Sandman70gt, mustanggt, Pittstate03, Lazybones, Walkerguy21D, coinandcurrency242 , thebigeng, Collectorcoins, JimTyler, USMarine6, Elkevvo, Coll3ctor, Yorkshireman, CUKevin, ranshdow, CoinHunter4, bennybravo, Centsearcher, braddick, Windycity, ZoidMeister, mirabela, JJM, RichURich, Bullsitter, jmski52, LukeMarshall

• Options
    Dave99BDave99B Posts: 8,362 ✭✭✭✭✭

Good service, decent grading, but ugly holders.

Dave

Always looking for original, better date VF20-VF35 Barber quarters and halves, and a quality beer.
  • Options

@Eighteen63 said:
    @satinidollar - neat, your 1919 Broken Sword overstrike has a cert which ends in 1919.

Didn’t notice that. Cool!

• Options
    dcarrdcarr Posts: 8,007 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited February 9, 2023 2:07PM

@skier07 said:
    ANACS is great for lower valued coins because their pricing is very competitive. I would pass on most higher priced coins because they sell for less money compared to PCGS or NGC.

So you'd rather pay MORE for the same coin ? ;)
    (I realize that is not what you meant, but that is how I interpreted it at first).

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file