Home Sports Talk
Options

NFL Game day: Who are you taking for Philadelphia or San Francisco?

Sunday January 29th at 3h00pm Eastern time.

Collecting interests: Coins from Latin American (2020-present)

Sports: NFL & NHL

Comments

• Options
    PillarDollarCollectorPillarDollarCollector Posts: 4,778 ✭✭✭✭✭

Will be taking for Philadelphia.

• Options
    LandrysFedoraLandrysFedora Posts: 1,796 ✭✭✭✭✭

Cowboys fan here. Neither.

• Options
    doubledragondoubledragon Posts: 23,011 ✭✭✭✭✭

Good matchup, Jalen Hurts and that Eagles offense vs the 49ers defense. I think Philly gets it done at home.

• Options
    thisistheshowthisistheshow Posts: 9,386 ✭✭✭✭✭

Hurts didn't seem hurt. With him at full strength they can beat anybody. Cowboys defense held Niners offense in check. I'm not sure most people realize how good the Cowboys defense was. I'm hearing people say that the Philly defense is as good. I don't agree. I expect a rebound game in terms of NIners scoring. I'd rather the Niners win. I am no Eagles fan. Living here in Dallas area has ingrained that in me, and it was cemented by them beating my Pats in the SB.

• Options
    galaxy27galaxy27 Posts: 7,145 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited January 25, 2023 7:33PM

with two stellar defenses involved, for me personally this game boils down to quarterback play. Jalen Hurts >>> Brock Purdy on its face, but Jalen Hurts >>>>>> Brock Purdy with this game being played in Philadelphia

Haason Reddick - 16 sacks
    Javon Hargrave - 11 sacks
    Brandon Graham - 11 sacks
    Josh Sweat - 11 sacks
    Fletcher Cox - 7 sacks

Purdy you better be prepared to make some judicious decisions with the football.........and quick

• Options
    BLUEJAYWAYBLUEJAYWAY Posts: 8,036 ✭✭✭✭✭

It's been said by players/touts that defense wins "ships". But with the league set up for scoring,this may not apply here. Don't know who has the better "fence", but going with SF.

Successful transactions:Tookybandit. "Everyone is equal, some are more equal than others".
  • Options
    firstbase23firstbase23 Posts: 448 ✭✭✭

Go Niners!!

Matt

• Options
    Dave99BDave99B Posts: 8,362 ✭✭✭✭✭

These are very deep waters for Purdy. SF has has a great run, but I expect the Eagles will find a way come Sunday. Should be a great game.

Dave

Always looking for original, better date VF20-VF35 Barber quarters and halves, and a quality beer.
  • Options
    BillJonesBillJones Posts: 33,484 ✭✭✭✭✭

Philadelphia fan, and I'm picking them.

Retired dealer and avid collector of U.S. type coins, 19th century presidential campaign medalets and selected medals. In recent years I have been working on a set of British coins - at least one coin from each king or queen who issued pieces that are collectible. I am also collecting at least one coin for each Roman emperor from Julius Caesar to ... ?
  • Options
    spacehaydukespacehayduke Posts: 5,473 ✭✭✭✭✭

Niners but the Sixers (LOL) have home advantage and we know what them Philly fans are like - no left coast SF politeness there, so..................

Successful transactions with-Boosibri,lkeigwin,TomB,Broadstruck,coinsarefun,Type2,jom,ProfLiz, UltraHighRelief,Barndog,EXOJUNKIE,ldhair,fivecents,paesan,Crusty...
  • Options
    Steven59Steven59 Posts: 8,294 ✭✭✭✭✭

Philly at home should be a tough gig for SF.

"When they can't find anything wrong with you, they create it!"

• Options

Looking forward for tomorrow's game ordering a nice pizza and some ice-t on ice will be a great day!!!

• Options
    HydrantHydrant Posts: 7,773 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited January 29, 2023 8:23AM

@spacehayduke said:
    Niners but the Sixers (LOL) have home advantage and we know what them Philly fans are like - no left coast SF politeness there, so..................

Yes, everyone here on the Left Coast knows what...dem Fiowee Feans

GO NINERS!

• Options
    edited January 29, 2023 9:25AM

I was at an epic regular season Niner game way back when in the 'stick (l992). Pretty much at the 50 yd line maybe 30 rows up. All of the fans around me were so polite as they were watching Young and Marino fling it around. Each time there was a Niners score, it was strong, polite clapping and cheering, no bad mouthing, no profanity, and no one jumping out of their seats. Just orderly, polite, rooting for the home team. When the Dolphins did something positive, there was the oh mys, but again no jeering or yelling at the opponent. Civilized is what I would call it. That is us on the left coast I say and especially in the Bay Area, although we were a little more rambunctious up in the PNW for Duck and Beaver games at least.......... Oh and the Niners won that game 27-3.................

Successful transactions with-Boosibri,lkeigwin,TomB,Broadstruck,coinsarefun,Type2,jom,ProfLiz, UltraHighRelief,Barndog,EXOJUNKIE,ldhair,fivecents,paesan,Crusty...
  • Options
    BillJonesBillJones Posts: 33,484 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited January 29, 2023 6:28AM

With the score at 27-3 in favor of the “Niners,” the fans didn’t have much to be PO’d about. I would also point out that the 50 yard line is sort of like the “silk stocking district” of a football stadium. It’s not has classy as the luxury boxes, but it’s up there. “The rabble” is higher up, in the “nose bleed section” and toward the end zones.

Philadelphia has a different history. The Eagles had a gap of 57 years between champions, from 1960 to 2017. We didn’t have the years of Bill Walsh and Jerry Rice. Many of those years were lean with poor coaching and less than ambitious ownership. I remember in college when the Eagles played the Pittsburgh Steelers in what was then the annual “Toilet Bowl” game. The loser usually got the first pick in the draft, which they often squandered. The Eagles won that game 14-7, and it was as exciting as that score indicated.

Philadelphia fans have seen a lot of losing. It may have changed, but the last I knew, the Phillies have finished last more than any other baseball team. They came to Philadelphia in 1883 and didn’t win a World Series until 1980. During that period, the Phillies got into the World Series twice and lost both times, including a four game sweep in 1950. The 76ers once won 8 games out of a 72 game season after the owner broke up the 1967 championship team with pure stupidity.

So, yes, it’s easy to be polite when you are winning. It gets tougher when you have something like the 1962 Mets year after year.

Retired dealer and avid collector of U.S. type coins, 19th century presidential campaign medalets and selected medals. In recent years I have been working on a set of British coins - at least one coin from each king or queen who issued pieces that are collectible. I am also collecting at least one coin for each Roman emperor from Julius Caesar to ... ?
  • Options
    BullsitterBullsitter Posts: 5,340 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited January 29, 2023 6:46AM

Flyin' with the Eagles.

• Options
    firstbase23firstbase23 Posts: 448 ✭✭✭

Go Niners!!

Matt

• Options

@Bullsitter

i collect golf cards and memorabilia, and i thought about you when i stumbled across this item. it ended last night in an auction and hammered for about 2k.

• Options
    BullsitterBullsitter Posts: 5,340 ✭✭✭✭✭

I saved the photo and will share it with Bama nation @ Bama247, they'll love it, thanks.

• Options
    erikthredderikthredd Posts: 8,233 ✭✭✭✭✭

I'd like to see if Mr Irrelevant can turn into Mr Impossible. Lets go Niners.

• Options
    edited January 29, 2023 12:00PM

@KingOfMorganDollar said:
    Looking forward for tomorrow's game ordering a nice pizza and some ice-t on ice will be a great day!!!

Will get the pizza for game 2 today 3h00pm to early for that but have some nice smaller snacks till then.

• Options

Countdown game day 1 hour till kickoff!!!

• Options

looks cold, wet, and rowdy in Phlly, Fox has 6 announcers? Yikes.

Positive vibes to Purdy and the Niners......................

• Options

Here we go gents, Philly advances to the Super Bowl today.

• Options

@doubledragon said:

Philly advances to the Super Bowl today.

agree

• Options

Lets go boys game time!!!

• Options

What a catch by Devonta Smith on 4th and 3, Eagles on top 7-0 already!

• Options

I don't care how good the Eagles are, I dont enjoy watching Hurts. I don't like how he bails on the pocket so quickly. Does he go through his progressions? I realize that the Eagles are successful. I just like to watch a QB stay in and stick with his reads.

• Options

Even when Purdy was in, 49ers looked unprepared imo

• Options
    Steven59Steven59 Posts: 8,294 ✭✭✭✭✭

Purdy out with an elbow injury - no word on return. Not looking good for SF right now.

"When they can't find anything wrong with you, they create it!"

• Options

Purdy didn't heed galixico's warning

this game is over........next

• Options

Yes, this one is over, on to Kansas City!

• Options

@galaxy27 said:

Was that about a QB sneak, or something else?

• Options

@thisistheshow said:

@galaxy27 said:

Scroll up amigo

• Options

The Eagles TD was preceded by a catch that was not a catch and apparently not reviewed. Looks like home team favoritism to me................ Hate it when the refs are purchased.

• Options

Niners - enter QB#4 for the season. Touchdown.

Score, Niners 7, Eagles 7 obtained from refs looking the other way on a missed dropped pass..............

• Options

@galaxy27 said:

@thisistheshow said:

@galaxy27 said:

Scroll up amigo

I'm hoping he can come back. Because the Niners are looking anemic on offense with this backup.

• Options

What an effort by #22 lol

Could someone inform that brother that this is the NFC Championship game and not 3rd grade two-below

Prove me wrong Niners!

• Options

Sneak

Every. time.

• Options

From SF gate when Johnson entered the game:

"The 36-year-old Johnson was more than serviceable in spot starts for the Jets and Ravens last year. In both games, he threw for more than 300 yards, combining for five passing touchdowns in the two outings. "

His QBR was 58 and rating was 98, not bad, so maybe not the end for SF.

• Options

@spacehayduke

He looks good thus far

• Options
    HydrantHydrant Posts: 7,773 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited January 29, 2023 2:51PM

All I can say at this point, 7-7, and with a complete disaster at QB for the Niners, is that the Eagles aren't all that good.....If the Niners win it will be McCaffery. He's the best.....
    I expect an Eagle win.
    They will get beat in the SB.

Update!.....With under 2 minutes in the first half?......The Niner QB is a DISASTER!.. He's Choking....OMG!.!..The Eagles got a break!....This game is over!

• Options

@galaxy27 said:
    @spacehayduke

He looks good thus far

Keeping the fingers crossed, he certainly has some weapons to get the ball to, that should help.

Eagles 3rd down converted on a questionable pass interference call, the Eagles refs are keeping them in the game....

• Options
    DarinDarin Posts: 6,323 ✭✭✭✭✭

@spacehayduke said:
    The Eagles TD was preceded by a catch that was not a catch and apparently not reviewed. Looks like home team favoritism to me................ Hate it when the refs are purchased.

Then blame SF for not having it reviewed. The coaching staff has to have their heads in the game and that one is on them.

• Options

@spacehayduke said:

@galaxy27 said:
    @spacehayduke

He looks good thus far

Keeping the fingers crossed, he certainly has some weapons to get the ball to, that should help.

yup. quick, high-percentage throws getting the ball out of his hands and into the hands of his playmakers is what the doctor ordered imo

• Options

Wow, 3 times on this series of downs when the Eagles are looking bad, the refs call a dubious penalty on SF. So now they have 2 unearned TD's, ridiculous.

• Options

Shanahan givin' the refs some heat........ Deserved.

• Options

certainly can't have that

• Options

see you guys in the KC-Cincy thread

• Options

21-7 Philly going into the halftime.