Home U.S. Coin Forum

The Colorado Thread!

ZoinsZoins Posts: 34,113 ✭✭✭✭✭
edited January 21, 2023 9:03PM in U.S. Coin Forum

Colorado is one of the really interesting states for coins, medals and tokens because of the gold and silver found as well as the Mints, territorial, federal, and private.

This thread is to celebrate anything and everything from Colorado :)

Here's a set of HK-870s that I was able to assemble today! With 2033 coming up, we'll have Two Centuries of Progress!

Comments

• ZoinsZoins Posts: 34,113 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited January 21, 2023 8:43PM

@dcarr said:
    Here is the first item (coin, token, or medal) ever minted for Colorado or with a Colorado theme.

Copper "pattern" strike for 1860 Clark Gruber $20 gold piece. This copper die trial used the same Eagle die (in an earlier die state) that was subsequently used to strike the actual $20 gold pieces. The pyramid die was never used for anything other than these initial die trials.

This is a nice geometric design. Ron had the following to say about this. I do wonder why this would be considered a die trial and not a pattern if it was rejected for its design?

@BestGerman said:
    According to Pioneer Gold expert, Don Kagin, these coins were struck by a Philadelphia die sinker who had never seen Pikes Peak. Thus, the front of the coin bears a triangular, stylized version that is drastically different from the real mountain. For obvious reasons, the design was rejected, but not until after numerous copper strikings had occurred. Some of the copper versions have been plated with gold or silver, but it is difficult to determine when the plating took place and by whom it was done.

Various researchers have called these either patterns or die trials; PCGS recognizes them as die trials. The copper versions are fairly common in the context of any Pioneer coinage, but the plated versions are more scarce. Very few quality examples are known; in fact, the finest certified example is a single PCGS MS64BN.

It's great to see this mountain design come alive for more people to enjoy, like on this piece of yours:

• OAKSTAROAKSTAR Posts: 6,726 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited January 21, 2023 9:00PM

The only one of it's kind, overstruck in Colorado. 😉

Disclaimer: I'm not a dealer, trader, grader, investor or professional numismatist. I'm just a hobbyist. (To protect me but mostly you! 🤣 )

• Hey, that's where I live. Resident for 40+ years but not a Native. No special stuff in my collection from Colorado, yet.
    I do really like Clark Gruber coins like those of @edwardjulio and hope to own one someday.

Member of LSCC, EAC, Fly-In Club, BCCS
    Life member of ANA
    edited January 21, 2023 9:35PM

@ColoradoCoinGuy said:
    Hey, that's where I live. Resident for 40+ years but not a Native. No special stuff in my collection from Colorado, yet.

There's still time @ColoradoCoinGuy! Perhaps something in this thread will fit your collection :)

I do really like Clark Gruber coins like those of @edwardjulio and hope to own one someday.

@edwardjulio posted some amazing pieces! Thanks for posting Ed! Really brings back the early days of Colorado Pike's Peak Gold with those pieces!

• OAKSTAROAKSTAR Posts: 6,726 ✭✭✭✭✭

@ColoradoCoinGuy said:
    Hey, that's where I live. Resident for 40+ years but not a Native. No special stuff in my collection from Colorado, yet.

I was stationed at Buckley. That's about it. 🤣

Disclaimer: I'm not a dealer, trader, grader, investor or professional numismatist. I'm just a hobbyist. (To protect me but mostly you! 🤣 )

edited January 22, 2023 12:28PM

Here's some text regarding the Clark Gruber mint from The Rocky Mountain News on July 25, 1860:

Rocky Mountain News said:
    [Upon] invitation we forthwith repaired to the elegant banking house of the firm…and were admitted to their coining room in the basement, where we found preparations almost complete for the issue of Pikes Peak coin. A hundred 'blanks' had been prepared, weight and fineness tested, and last manipulation gone through with prior to their passage through the stamping press. The little engine that drives the machinery was fired up, belts adjusted, and between 3 and 4 o'clock the machinery was put in motion and 'mint drop' of the value of $10 each began dropping into a tin pail with the most musical 'clink.' About $1,000 were turned out, at the rate of fifteen or twenty coins a minute, which was deemed satisfactory for the first equipment. The coins--of which none but $10 pieces are yet coined--are seventeen grains heavier than the United States coin of the same denomination."On the face is a representation of the Peak, its base surrounded by a forest of timber, and 'Pikes Peak Gold' encircling the summit. Immediately under its base is the word 'Denver' and beneath it 'Ten D.' On the reverse is the American eagle, encircled by the name of the firm 'Clark, Gruber & Co.,' and beneath it the date, '1860.' The coin has a little of the roughness peculiar to newness, but is upon the whole, very credible in appearance, and a vast improvement over 'dust' as a circulating medium.

Ref: https://auctions.stacksbowers.com/lots/view/3-2ZFT2/1860-clark-gruber-co-10-gold-k-3-rarity-5-au-53-pcgs

It's amazing that The Rocky Mountain News operated from 1859 to 2009!

Wikipedia said:
    The Rocky Mountain News (nicknamed the Rocky[2]) was a daily newspaper published in Denver, Colorado, United States, from April 23, 1859, until February 27, 2009. It was owned by the E. W. Scripps Company from 1926 until its closing. As of March 2006, the Monday–Friday circulation was 255,427.[1] From the 1940s until 2009, the newspaper was printed in a tabloid format.

Under the leadership of president, publisher, and editor John Temple, the Rocky Mountain News had won four Pulitzer Prizes since 2000. Most recently in 2006, the newspaper won two Pulitzers, in Feature Writing and Feature Photography. The paper's final issue appeared on Friday, February 27, 2009, less than two months shy of its 150th anniversary.[2] Its demise left Denver a one-newspaper town, with The Denver Post as the sole remaining large-circulation daily.

Ref: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rocky_Mountain_News

• Mr_SpudMr_Spud Posts: 5,172 ✭✭✭✭✭

Mr_Spud

• dcarrdcarr Posts: 8,340 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Zoins said:

@dcarr said:
    Here is the first item (coin, token, or medal) ever minted for Colorado or with a Colorado theme.

Copper "pattern" strike for 1860 Clark Gruber $20 gold piece. This copper die trial used the same Eagle die (in an earlier die state) that was subsequently used to strike the actual $20 gold pieces. The pyramid die was never used for anything other than these initial die trials.

This is a nice geometric design. Ron had the following to say about this. I do wonder why this would be considered a die trial and not a pattern if it was rejected for its design?

@BestGerman said:
    According to Pioneer Gold expert, Don Kagin, these coins were struck by a Philadelphia die sinker who had never seen Pikes Peak. Thus, the front of the coin bears a triangular, stylized version that is drastically different from the real mountain. For obvious reasons, the design was rejected, but not until after numerous copper strikings had occurred. Some of the copper versions have been plated with gold or silver, but it is difficult to determine when the plating took place and by whom it was done.

Various researchers have called these either patterns or die trials; PCGS recognizes them as die trials. The copper versions are fairly common in the context of any Pioneer coinage, but the plated versions are more scarce. Very few quality examples are known; in fact, the finest certified example is a single PCGS MS64BN.

Technically, the obverse (pyramid) is a "pattern" and the reverse (Eagle) is a "die trial".
    That is how I classify them because the pyramid was never used for a regular issue.
    But the very same Eagle die was used for the gold coins issued later.

There are a number of the pyramid copper patterns out there. But a substantial number of them are corroded, severely scratched, or otherwise significantly impaired.

• MedalCollectorMedalCollector Posts: 1,969 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Crackout

Amazing! Nice work!

• SwampboySwampboy Posts: 12,949 ✭✭✭✭✭

The entertainment can never be overdressed....except in burlesque

• rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

A numismatic tribute thread to Colorado and Denver.... Visited for business many times, never resided there. Many years in Arizona though. Cheers, RickO

• MaywoodMaywood Posts: 2,065 ✭✭✭✭✭

• ElKevvoElKevvo Posts: 4,096 ✭✭✭✭✭

I do like Colorado. Bit of a drive for me but worth it IMO. Good hiking, trout fishing, skiing etc. And a lot of great coins and tokens!

K

ANA LM
  • mbogomanmbogoman Posts: 5,177 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited January 27, 2023 3:44PM

Argus Metals from Boulder, RMMR = Rocky Mountain Metals Refinery, and MMM Colorado

• WillieBoyd2WillieBoyd2 Posts: 5,112 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited January 27, 2023 3:27PM

The "Death Valley Days" television program ran an episode in 1962 about the Clark Gruber mint.
    It was titled "The Private Mint of Clark, Gruber and Co."

"The Old Ranger" (Stanley Andrews)

More about the program here:
    https://forums.collectors.com/discussion/1048813/anyone-recognize-this

:)

https://www.brianrxm.com
    The Mysterious Egyptian Magic Coin
    Coins in Movies
    Coins on Television

• dcarrdcarr Posts: 8,340 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited January 27, 2023 7:26PM

@mbogoman said:
    Argus Metals from Boulder, RMMR = Rocky Mountain Metals Refinery, and MMM Colorado

I think RMMR was actually based in Utah. This information indicates they operated from 1978 to 1980:
    https://opencorporates.com/companies/us_ut/693497-0142

There was also a "Rocky Mountain Mint" which also operated out of Utah:

I have a couple 10-oz class Argus Metals bars. Yours is only the third one I have seen, and it is different than my two. What weight is it ?

Other "vintage" Colorado silver ingot producers include:

Golden Analytical (numerous weights of poured-style bars, plus one type of die-stamped 1-troy-oz "Art" bar):

Denver Gold & Silver Exchange Inc. was a major coin shop in Downtown Denver circa late 1970s. Jack Willis ("JW") was the proprietor. The outfit was shut down in the early 1980s when Willis was busted for cocaine trafficking. These only exist as 10-oz bars. There are two varieties, small "JW" and large "JW". This is the small "JW" version:

C & S Incorporated was based in Denver and they produced bars like this 10-troy-oz class and other weights as well:

Lowe's Rare Coins was a coin shop in the western suburbs of Denver. They issued these 1-troy-oz die-stamped silver "art" bars. There are two variations: with address on front; and without address (as shown below):

Modern producers of Colorado silver bars include: myself;

Dave Emslie (of "Prospector's Gold & Gems"):
    ;

And "Mile High Mint" of Denver:

edited January 27, 2023 9:15PM

1883 17th Annual Encampment of the Grand Army of the Republic in Denver, Colorado Medal. Bronzed Copper. MS-67 BN (NGC)

I love the mountain and mining scene on these.

These are most often seen in white metal with a hanger, which is how they were intended to be worn. I've run across 3 unholed white metal specimens so far and just 2 bronze specimens.

This is my bronze specimen.

Great silver bars @mbogoman and @dcarr!

Love the So-Called Dollars @Goldminers and gold centennial piece @Maywood!

• skier07skier07 Posts: 3,931 ✭✭✭✭✭

• KurisuKurisu Posts: 1,963 ✭✭✭✭✭

I came to Colorado in 1992 for college and never left...now I'm a native! :smiley::wink: ...It's a Colorado thing.
    I live about 5 miles from the Denver Mint as the crow flies.

I visit the Lesher the Springs at the Money Museum regularly.
    I moved here after RTD stopped using tiny little bus tokens.
    There have been scandals in Colorado!
    Home of a fairly well known football team, I was lucky to work at Mile High Stadium for some of my career!
    We had a VERY special coin display living in Colorado for many years and I got to visit it a bunch of times :blush:

Coins are Neato!

"If it's a penny for your thoughts and you put in your two cents worth, then someone...somewhere...is making a penny." - Steven Wright

@Kurisu said:
    I came to Colorado in 1992 for college and never left...now I'm a native! :smiley::wink: ...It's a Colorado thing.
    I live about 5 miles from the Denver Mint as the crow flies.

I visit the Lesher the Springs at the Money Museum regularly.
    I moved here after RTD stopped using tiny little bus tokens.
    There have been scandals in Colorado!
    Home of a fairly well known football team, I was lucky to work at Mile High Stadium for some of my career!
    We had a VERY special coin display living in Colorado for many years and I got to visit it a bunch of times :blush:

Awesome! It's great that you have such a great experience living in the state!

I just took a closer look at your avatar and noticed that it has coins in the Colorado flag! Very awesome!

• KurisuKurisu Posts: 1,963 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Zoins said:

@Kurisu said:

I just took a closer look at your avatar and noticed that it has coins in the Colorado flag! Very awesome!

Thanks! :smiley:

Coins are Neato!

"If it's a penny for your thoughts and you put in your two cents worth, then someone...somewhere...is making a penny." - Steven Wright

edited January 27, 2023 11:25PM

@Kurisu said:

@Zoins said:

@Kurisu said:

Thanks! :smiley:

Love the high resolution version! That should be the flag for this thread!

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file