Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

1931 S Lincoln Cent...mint mark opinion

jesbrokenjesbroken Posts: 9,303 ✭✭✭✭✭

Does this mint mark on this Lincoln look real or placed? This is an ebay auction and I think it looks like it has been placed on the coin, but then that's why I'm asking here. These are the seller's pics and are as large as I can make them w/o terrible distortion. The auction# is 234262001057, if needed.
Jim

When a man who is honestly mistaken hears the truth, he will either quit being mistaken or cease to be honest....Abraham Lincoln

Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it.....Mark Twain

Comments

• Options
    Walkerguy21DWalkerguy21D Posts: 11,150 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited January 19, 2023 8:11PM

I’m pretty sure this one is real; it’s at PCGS right now. The bottom serifs look slightly different.

Successful BST transactions with 170 members. Recent: Tonedeaf, Shane6596, Piano1, Ikenefic, RG, PCGSPhoto, stman, Don'tTelltheWife, Boosibri, Ron1968, snowequities, VTchaser, jrt103, SurfinxHI, 78saen, bp777, FHC, RYK, JTHawaii, Opportunity, Kliao, bigtime36, skanderbeg, split37, thebigeng, acloco, Toninginthblood, OKCC, braddick, Coinflip, robcool, fastfreddie, tightbudget, DBSTrader2, nickelsciolist, relaxn, Eagle eye, soldi, silverman68, ElKevvo, sawyerjosh, Schmitz7, talkingwalnut2, konsole, sharkman987, sniocsu, comma, jesbroken, David1234, biosolar, Sullykerry, Moldnut, erwindoc, MichaelDixon, GotTheBug
  • Options
    lilolmelilolme Posts: 2,462 ✭✭✭✭✭

Here is pcgs VF30. The S appears to be in the same location as best I can tell (left / right sides, top and slant).
    The bottom is as best I could quickly do for side by side but the dates (or coin) are at slightly different angles.

https://youtube.com/watch?v=2YNufnS_kf4 - Mama I'm coming home ...................................................................................................................................................................... RLJ 1958 - 2023

• Options
    LanceNewmanOCCLanceNewmanOCC Posts: 19,999 ✭✭✭✭✭

the seller appears to have had a set or a part date run so it would make sense a 31-s would be in there.

@lilolme

the date on that pcgs example is more sus than the op coin LOL.

i was just about to put my comp up and crash but now i'm looking in these dates, placements and mm and i smell a Fugazi somewhere in this mess. LOL

i'll have to look up some more info if ya'll haven't untangled it by tomorrow afternoon.

<--- look what's behind the mask! - cool link 1/NO ~ 2/NNP ~ 3/NNC ~ 4/CF ~ 5/PG ~ 6/Cert ~ 7/NGC 7a/NGC pop~ 8/NGCF ~ 9/HA archives ~ 10/PM ~ 11/NM ~ 12/ANACS cert ~ 13/ANACS pop - report fakes 1/ACEF ~ report fakes/thefts 1/NCIS - Numi-Classes SS ~ Bass ~ Transcribed Docs NNP - clashed coins - error training - V V mm styles -

• Options
    lilolmelilolme Posts: 2,462 ✭✭✭✭✭

@LanceNewmanOCC Sounds good.
    Maybe this will help. Below I tried to place some lines on the 3 coins. Tough to get them all in the precise same place due to different photos and shadows. Missed the one on parallel but close. They all look close to me.

https://youtube.com/watch?v=2YNufnS_kf4 - Mama I'm coming home ...................................................................................................................................................................... RLJ 1958 - 2023

• Options
    AUandAGAUandAG Posts: 24,538 ✭✭✭✭✭

Does look queer to me for sure.

bob :)

Registry: CC lowballs (boblindstrom), bobinvegas1989@yahoo.com
  • Options

Nice one Greg. I'm not sure about the ebay coin, but it appears like the MM is on a mound that shouldn't be there, but that's how I see it and could be wrong. That's why I posted for opinions.
    Jim

When a man who is honestly mistaken hears the truth, he will either quit being mistaken or cease to be honest....Abraham Lincoln

Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it.....Mark Twain
  • Options
    LanceNewmanOCCLanceNewmanOCC Posts: 19,999 ✭✭✭✭✭

@lilolme said:
    @LanceNewmanOCC Sounds good.
    Maybe this will help. Below I tried to place some lines on the 3 coins. Tough to get them all in the precise same place due to different photos and shadows. Missed the one on parallel but close. They all look close to me.

that is good work. i see now why i thought the pcgs coin was sus. i did NOT remember their being a date with the 1 kicked out like that or it may be the 9 further to the right but it is a bigger gap than i recall.

thanks for the patience. :)

i do think the op looks questionable because of the top of the 3 being too curled and the mm looks a lil off but both of these could be explained by the pixelated images. my 2c

hope it works out.

<--- look what's behind the mask! - cool link 1/NO ~ 2/NNP ~ 3/NNC ~ 4/CF ~ 5/PG ~ 6/Cert ~ 7/NGC 7a/NGC pop~ 8/NGCF ~ 9/HA archives ~ 10/PM ~ 11/NM ~ 12/ANACS cert ~ 13/ANACS pop - report fakes 1/ACEF ~ report fakes/thefts 1/NCIS - Numi-Classes SS ~ Bass ~ Transcribed Docs NNP - clashed coins - error training - V V mm styles -

• Options
    BuffaloIronTailBuffaloIronTail Posts: 7,413 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited January 20, 2023 6:58AM

Here's another one for comparison:

Pete

The coin looks OK to me.

"I tell them there's no problems.....only solutions" - John Lennon
  • Options

I'll let it go then. I've not noticed another MM on a raised mound before, at least that's what it appears to me.
    Jim

• Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

@jesbroken ... I can see why your suspicions were aroused. Not sure if that is die erosion, poor mint marking or die chips.... really would need to examine that in hand, under magnification. Cheers, RickO

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file