Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

Update: CAC RESULTS IN. I Need To Know. MS 65 Walker NEWP.Sent To CAC

WalkerloverWalkerlover Posts: 706 ✭✭✭✭
edited February 9, 2023 3:04PM in U.S. Coin Forum

Please advise me if 1) you like this coin as a MS 65, and if you think it’s solid as a 65 and 2) do you think it will get a green bean at CAC?

On the positive side I love the original looking fresh blazing luster and OGH, on the negative there are a few marks in the right obverse field and the one line between the sun rays. Thanks for sharing your thoughts.

Comments

• Options
    spyglassdesignspyglassdesign Posts: 1,495 ✭✭✭✭✭

The long mark is somewhat detracting in the pictures, but I understand it may not be as prevalent in hand. If you are worried about the mark and CAC, you may wish to play the safe hand and keep looking. If you otherwise like the coin (you said you do), and CAC isn't a deal breaker, I'd say go for it. As for whether it will CAC or not, I have no idea.

A little field chatter on most coins is about what you will get at MS65, so finding a truly clean 65 may be tough.

If it's inexpensive, you can always get it in hand, and if it doesn't meet your goals, flip it and go for another.

Good luck whatever you choose!

• Options
    WalkerfanWalkerfan Posts: 8,973 ✭✭✭✭✭

An MS 66 is only slightly more expensive.

I would try to find a nicer MS 66.

“I may not believe in myself but I believe in what I’m doing” ~Jimmy Page~

My Full Walker Registry Set (1916-1947)

https://www.ngccoin.com/registry/competitive-sets/16292/

• Options
    JBNJBN Posts: 1,799 ✭✭✭✭✭

Nice strike. Great reverse. Looks like great luster.
    Obverse has distractions as you note; also Liberty's neck. 64+obv/66rev. I would pass. I do not think it would CAC.

• Options
    d9lowed9lowe Posts: 304 ✭✭✭✭

I just finished my WLH short set. Its all 65 or better ( bright white coins). Be patient, better coins are out there. BE PATIENT. It took me a year to find my last coin. 43D, and its perfect!

• Options

@d9lowe said:
    I just finished my WLH short set. Its all 65 or better ( bright white coins). Be patient, better coins are out there. BE PATIENT. It took me a year to find my last coin. 43D, and its perfect!

Are MS 66 coins with incredible original luster available if patient? This coin looks like it is from an original roll with the most amazing luster. Please let me know what you think if I can find similar. Thank you

• Options
    BroadstruckBroadstruck Posts: 30,497 ✭✭✭✭✭

You said =On the positive side I love the original looking fresh blazing luster and OGH

This to me looks like a WLH which was dipped at least once and not original skinned.

To Err Is Human.... To Collect Err's Is Just Too Much Darn Tootin Fun!
  • Options

@Broadstruck said:
    You said =On the positive side I love the original looking fresh blazing luster and OGH

This to me looks like a WLH which was dipped at least once and not original skinned.

How can you tell. I want to learn from you. what do you see that makes you conclude that

• Options

@Walkerlover said:

@Broadstruck said:

How can you tell. I want to learn from you. what do you see that makes you conclude that

It's not dipped out but subdued as this has a non-cartwheel flat even lustrous appearance.

Your best bet to really learn is to attend a local show just to look at as many coins in hand as you can as photos on the web only go so far.

• Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

It is a nice WLH. However, you enumerated the negatives... they will always be there, and you will see them each time you look at the coin. Better to keep looking for one that will better suit your aesthetic requirements. Cheers, RickO

• Options
    edited January 14, 2023 5:48AM

A lil more... It's not uncommon for OGH 3.0 & early 3.1 series holders to have a lot of dipped coins in them. Coin World for many months in 1993 slammed toned coins slabbed as being bad since they could continue to darken in the holders. This led to a major dip craze as you could literally see dealers at show lined up at all the restroom sinks dipping prior to on site submission.

• Options
    JimnightJimnight Posts: 10,812 ✭✭✭✭✭

What @MFeld said.

• Options
    coastaljerseyguycoastaljerseyguy Posts: 1,245 ✭✭✭✭✭

Definitely wouldn't pay extra for the OGH, average 65 and no bean.

• Options
    CatbertCatbert Posts: 6,603 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited January 14, 2023 6:46AM

@MFeld said:
    It looks like a fairly ordinary example of a very common coin. In such circumstances, when asked, I suggest being patient and more particular discriminating.

I like that word better. ;)

I agree with the likelihood that CAC will reject the coin for the reasons previously indicated. If CAC certification is critical to your satisfaction, perhaps you should buy one already stickered?

"Got a flaming heart, can't get my fill"
  • Options
    olympicsosolympicsos Posts: 694 ✭✭✭✭

@Walkerguy21D said:
    This is a perfect example of what the services valued at the time, luster.
    30+ years ago, when I was hunting raw walkers, I valued strike and clean mark free surfaces. When submitted, most of them came back in 4 holders. Then I’d see marred up coins like this in 5 holders. Deciding this was all bs, I switched my efforts to early dates in XF-AU. Those I could apparently understand, and were genuinely scarce to boot.
    Selling off some raw remnants a couple years ago, most of them ~4 money, I was surprised to learn they later graded 5-6’s.

Rant over, back to you…..
    The OGH is really the only thing it has going for it. The coin itself certainly isn’t under graded, and might not even 5 again if resubmitted raw.
    The date is extremely common in true gem with blazing luster, well struck, and minimal marks. I’d look for another.

Another reason why I think the 2016 gold version is the best rendition. Full strikes with full details and most of them grade 69 or 70.

• Options
    cameonut2011cameonut2011 Posts: 10,061 ✭✭✭✭✭

Hard pass. There is too much chatter. I don’t think it is a solid 65 and don’t think (and hope) it wouldn’t sticker. It’s a super common coin. Even MS67 coins can be had for a few hundred.

• Options
    bagofnickelsbagofnickels Posts: 349 ✭✭✭✭

If you do like it I think the OGH will allow you to resell it a little easier than the same coin in a new holder. As @Walkerguy21D said that's what it has going for it. If it didn't have that mark between the sun's rays I personally would like it a lot more. But that mark might look very different when you actually get it. If you want a CAC 1943 I would wait for one already CAC. The premium on that particular date and mint is not astronomical.

I will say I built a complete short set and when I was done I really liked 12 of the 20 coins. So now I'm rebuilding the set with coins that I actually really like rather than filling holes. This hobby can be easy to get excited and just buy away. My advice? Wait for the coin you like the first time around and if an exceedingly common coin already has you wondering about a small mark or spot. Just wait for the next.

• Options
    JimTylerJimTyler Posts: 3,054 ✭✭✭✭✭

Ask yourself Grasshopper, is a coin really a coin if it doesn’t have a green bean ?

• Options
    DelawareDoonsDelawareDoons Posts: 3,241 ✭✭✭✭✭

I think it'll fail CAC.

Professional Numismatist. "It's like God, Family, Country, except Sticker, Plastic, Coin."

• Options
    ConnecticoinConnecticoin Posts: 12,533 ✭✭✭✭✭

Looks like a low-end 65 to me that would likely not pass CAC.

I would try to upgrade to a nice 66 it it were me. Mint State 1943 Philly Walkers were very well made, so finding a quality example is not as difficult as for other dates / mintmarks. San Francisco 1943s are another story :D

• Options
    edited January 19, 2023 6:22AM

@Broadstruck said:

@Walkerlover said:

@Broadstruck said:

It's not dipped out but subdued as this has a non-cartwheel flat even lustrous appearance.

Your best bet to really learn is to attend a local show just to look at as many coins in hand as you can as photos on the web only go so far.

I can only convey to you what I see as I look and review the coin in hand. Incredible flash, cartwheel luster, no spots or dip residue. It has the most luster of any coin I have ever seen in my life and this is in a more than 25 year holder, so it’s been stable and not fooled around with. It Has to be seen in hand to be believed

• Options
    291fifth291fifth Posts: 23,936 ✭✭✭✭✭

In my opinion it is an ultra-common date MS63. I don't even think it would even get a 64 today. Too many marks and rubbing on the high points as well.

All glory is fleeting.
  • Options
    ElmhurstElmhurst Posts: 775 ✭✭✭

I’d look for one without the dings in the right field.

• Options
    TPRCTPRC Posts: 3,739 ✭✭✭✭✭

I would pass. It is probably a 65 but I don't love it as a 65, mostly because of the marks as noted, particularly in the right obverse field. it could CAC. CAC is not as concerned with marks as they are with originality and this coin looks original enough, in my opinion. But a MFeld suggests, I would be patient and more selective.

Tom

• Options
    kirkminkkirkmink Posts: 172 ✭✭✭✭

I would say solid for the grade but doubtful on the bean.

"Why waste time learning, when ignorance is instantaneous?"- Calvin and Hobbes

• Options
    DisneyFanDisneyFan Posts: 1,697 ✭✭✭✭✭

You really can't tell from pictures. CAC will not pass coins with the slightest PVC.

If a CAC is your goal it would be better to buy one with a CAC rather than going through the process of sending it to CAC. Currently, there are 259 that have a CAC and it's price guide values them at $130. Most probably hoped for a gold CAC.

• Options

Thanks everyone for your advice. I decided to send it to CAC. I know the marks are a little strong but the amazing eye appeal and luster make up for it. I also need to know for myself wether this is a B or C coin. Coin looks somewhat better in hand as my I phone pictures can be brutal on contact marks. I will update next week when I get the results.

• Options
    Cougar1978Cougar1978 Posts: 7,616 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited February 1, 2023 10:22PM

It is a nice lustrous MS65. I would think it would CAC. The marks keep it from 66.

So Cali Area - Coins & Currency
  • Options
    coastaljerseyguycoastaljerseyguy Posts: 1,245 ✭✭✭✭✭

Luster wins over contact marks, congrats.

• Options
    gumby1234gumby1234 Posts: 5,425 ✭✭✭✭✭

Probably worth $50 more when selling now, but what did it cost for shipping, insurance and CAC?

Successful BST with ad4400, Kccoin, lablover, pointfivezero, koynekwest, jwitten, coin22lover, HalfDimeDude, erwindoc, jyzskowsi, COINS MAKE CENTS, AlanSki, BryceM

• Options
    CatbertCatbert Posts: 6,603 ✭✭✭✭✭

I must admit I'm really surprised.

"Got a flaming heart, can't get my fill"
  • Options
    P0CKETCHANGEP0CKETCHANGE Posts: 2,250 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Walkerlover said:

@gumby1234 said:
    Probably worth $50 more when selling now, but what did it cost for shipping, insurance and CAC?

$75. But the main reason I sent it in is I prefer to have my coins with a CAC sticker. I also needed to know if this coin was a B or C coin for my own personal knowledge to learn more about what coins pass or don’t pass CAC

Well it’s not a C coin, but how do you know it’s not a B coin since CAC stickers both A & B coins equally?

Nothing is as expensive as free money.

• Options
    david3142david3142 Posts: 3,418 ✭✭✭✭✭

A 65 is worth about $125. A 66 CAC just sold for $169. At best the bean added $20 to the value of this coin. I’m glad you got the result you wanted but this seems like an extremely inefficient education to learn a tiny bit about how accurately graded 1 coin is.

• Options

@P0CKETCHANGE said:

@Walkerlover said:

@gumby1234 said:

$75. But the main reason I sent it in is I prefer to have my coins with a CAC sticker. I also needed to know if this coin was a B or C coin for my own personal knowledge to learn more about what coins pass or don’t pass CAC

Well it’s not a C coin, but how do you know it’s not a B coin since CAC stickers both A & B coins equally?

I don’t understand your question

• Options
    edited February 9, 2023 4:27PM

@P0CKETCHANGE said:

@Walkerlover said:

@P0CKETCHANGE said:

@Walkerlover said:

@gumby1234 said:

I don’t understand your question

The CAC sticker confirms that the coin is either an A or a B coin, so I’m not following how you would know whether this coin is a B coin (since it could be an A or B coin).

I am thinking the mark by the sunray would preclude A. Most of the people who responded to this thread thought it was either overgraded or not of CAC quality. But I am not a professional grader so perhaps I am am not realizing that perhaps I am too tough on the coin nobody has seen it in hand on the forum except me

• Options
    PhilLynottPhilLynott Posts: 881 ✭✭✭✭✭

Most (not all there are a ton of amazing graders here!) people underrate the importance of luster for a grade and focus just on contact marks. To be fair contact marks show up in pictures and luster sometimes is a guessing game.

Id take your coin over a different 65 that has less luster and fewer contact marks any day.

• Options
    coinbufcoinbuf Posts: 10,758 ✭✭✭✭✭

Congrats on your CAC result, it may not come with a financial windfall but knowledge is power.

My Lincoln Registry
    My Collection of Old Holders

Never a slave to one plastic brand will I ever be.
  • Options
    oih82w8oih82w8 Posts: 11,896 ✭✭✭✭✭

First time visiting this thread, and I thought that it was a looker and would CAC. I thought that JA was not accepting regular submissions at this time due to back log?

oih82w8 = Oh I Hate To Wait _defectus patientia_aka...Dr. Defecto - Curator of RMO's

BST transactions: dbldie55, jayPem, 78saen, UltraHighRelief, nibanny, liefgold, FallGuy, lkeigwin, mbogoman, Sandman70gt, keets, joeykoins, ianrussell (@GC), EagleEye, ThePennyLady, GRANDAM, Ilikecolor, Gluggo, okiedude, Voyageur, LJenkins11, fastfreddie, ms70, pursuitofliberty, ZoidMeister,Coin Finder, GotTheBug, edwardjulio, Coinnmore...
  • Options
    DelawareDoonsDelawareDoons Posts: 3,241 ✭✭✭✭✭

Hmm.

Congrats, though!

Professional Numismatist. "It's like God, Family, Country, except Sticker, Plastic, Coin."

• Options
    DeplorableDanDeplorableDan Posts: 2,534 ✭✭✭✭✭

@oih82w8 said:
    First time visiting this thread, and I thought that it was a looker and would CAC. I thought that JA was not accepting regular submissions at this time due to back log?

You can submit through the $35 tier

• Options
    Walkerguy21DWalkerguy21D Posts: 11,147 ✭✭✭✭✭

@DelawareDoons said:
    Hmm.

Congrats, though!

My thoughts exactly....well maybe with a shrug thrown in.
    But yes, congrats, and I learned from this as well.

Successful BST transactions with 170 members. Recent: Tonedeaf, Shane6596, Piano1, Ikenefic, RG, PCGSPhoto, stman, Don'tTelltheWife, Boosibri, Ron1968, snowequities, VTchaser, jrt103, SurfinxHI, 78saen, bp777, FHC, RYK, JTHawaii, Opportunity, Kliao, bigtime36, skanderbeg, split37, thebigeng, acloco, Toninginthblood, OKCC, braddick, Coinflip, robcool, fastfreddie, tightbudget, DBSTrader2, nickelsciolist, relaxn, Eagle eye, soldi, silverman68, ElKevvo, sawyerjosh, Schmitz7, talkingwalnut2, konsole, sharkman987, sniocsu, comma, jesbroken, David1234, biosolar, Sullykerry, Moldnut, erwindoc, MichaelDixon, GotTheBug
  • Options
    spacehaydukespacehayduke Posts: 5,470 ✭✭✭✭✭

@david3142 said:
    A 65 is worth about $125. A 66 CAC just sold for $169. At best the bean added $20 to the value of this coin. I’m glad you got the result you wanted but this seems like an extremely inefficient education to learn a tiny bit about how accurately graded 1 coin is.

True, but the education on how CAC views certain surface issues on silver walkers was worth whatever he paid for it. Will help him with guidance on more expensive Walkers in the future, small price to pay to steer him in the right direction. Certainly a better value than a Super Bowl ticket without the 49ers playing............

Successful transactions with-Boosibri,lkeigwin,TomB,Broadstruck,coinsarefun,Type2,jom,ProfLiz, UltraHighRelief,Barndog,EXOJUNKIE,ldhair,fivecents,paesan,Crusty...
  • Options
    edited February 10, 2023 1:16PM

@spacehayduke said:

@david3142 said:

True, but the education on how CAC views certain surface issues on silver walkers was worth whatever he paid for it. Will help him with guidance on more expensive Walkers in the future, small price to pay to steer him in the right direction. Certainly a better value than a Super Bowl ticket without the 49ers playing............

I think you are overestimating the value learned from one data point.
    Plus, you can get the same info for free by looking at lots of coins with and without stickers (especially if you knew which had been tried and failed).

The OP said he wants to own CAC coins. In most cases, until you get into coins over $500, it will be cheaper (and much easier) to just buy them that way.

I think he learned from more from this discussion than the result of the submission.

• Options

@david3142 said:

I am not sure I agree with your evaluation. Checking on EBAY and Great Collections most nice 65s were priced around $130 and those with CAC were priced around $200-225. 66s were priced approximately $100-150 more respectively.

• Options

@Walkerlover said:

@david3142 said:

I am not sure I agree with your evaluation. Checking on EBAY and Great Collections most nice 65s were priced around $130 and those with CAC were priced around $200-225. 66s were priced approximately $100-150 more respectively.

The last few PCGS 65 CAC coins on GC were $136, $122, $154 so maybe $135 is a better estimate than my $125. The last 66 CACs to sell were $205, $221, $266. That $169 seems to be low although it did happen (at Heritage) just 2 months ago. Another sold in July on GC for $160. Those look to be bargains but I imagine the coins weren’t as nice.

65 non-CACs seem to fetch between $80 and $120.

• Options
    logger7logger7 Posts: 8,078 ✭✭✭✭✭

I bought a number of nice and somewhat better date Walkers from an area dealer for around $50 each. Sent them off to get graded at NGC economy, got a number of MS66 results and then ran them through cac. Even with the stickers they were not worth much more than $125-150 on ebay. Very hard to justify all the submissions.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file