Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

Elite Collection Saints

Comments

• Options
    CocoinutCocoinut Posts: 2,505 ✭✭✭✭✭

Such an awesome set! Thanks for sharing!

Countdown to completion of my Mercury Set: 2 coins. My growing Lincoln Set: Finally completed!
  • Options
    orevilleoreville Posts: 11,780 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited March 14, 2023 6:39PM

@EliteCollection said:

@oreville said:
    I cannot believe I missed your Saint thread from January.

I am truly envious of your accomplishment. I have to tread carefully assembling my Saint set to avoid my wife divorcing me!

How did you do it? LOL. Meaning how did you sweet talk your family into allowing you to spend your funds on little gold coins instead of Silicon Valley Bank? 😳

I am happy and impressed you are trying to preserve the legacy of the pedigree of each Saint and not just reslabbing them into a new “Elite” slab.

You have the forbidden fruit… the 1933 along with the virtual forbidden fruit the 1921 and the 1927-D!
    Which one of the three do you enjoy the most?

Enjoy your set in good health and good fortune. Thank you for sharing with us your journey.

Looking at your set through photos cannot compare to viewing them in person.

I agree that legacy and pedigrees are very important. I will make sure to include all the important pedigrees on the slabs.

The 1933 is a special coin and got me into this crazy ambitious task of creating the best Saints set ever. The 1927-D is special because of how I got it, which is a long story, and how critical it is for a complete CAC Saint set. And the 1921 was part of the deal of the century... another long story. Including the UHR, these are my favorite Saints.

I absolutely love all coins dated 1921 most of all. Canadian and US coins
    I was fortunate enough to acquire Jack Lee’s 1921 Saint in PCGS and later CAC stickered MS-66 grade. i never took it out of Jack Lee’s PCGS holder. Also acquired 1921 Canadian quarter as well in ICCS taped sealed 2x2 envelope.

I did not like the Canadian 1921 half and silver dollar enough to buy them butbstill looking. While the 1933 and 1927-D Saints are really special the right 1921 Saint is the one I desired most but was never available at the same time I almost had enough funds to acquire it, Other coins I acquired seem to interfere with the 1921 Saint.

While others might want the 1933, others 1927-D, I vote for the 1921!

You can also see me on the CAC threads with the same user name.

A Collectors Universe poster since 1997!
  • Options
    JRoccoJRocco Posts: 14,277 ✭✭✭✭✭

Speechless.
    Major congrats on a major accomplishment.
    Now pardon me while I go back to oogling them some more.

Some coins are just plain "Interesting"
  • Options
    SwampboySwampboy Posts: 12,885 ✭✭✭✭✭

I'm speechless looking at your set. We'll travel whenever to wherever to gaze on these. Awesome!!!

• Options
    raysrays Posts: 2,328 ✭✭✭✭✭

Beautiful set. The 1933 double Eagle has such a great story: espionage, a deposed King, presidential decree, a Secret agent sting operation ensnaring one of the most prominent coin dealers in the country at the time (Jay Parrino). Thanks for sharing this extraordinary accomplishment.

• Options

“ While others might want the 1933, others 1927-D, I vote for the 1921!”

On another thought, on Monday and Tuesday i might desire the 1921, wednesday the 1927-D and on Thursday the 1933 and so forth?!

• Options
    EliteCollectionEliteCollection Posts: 149 ✭✭✭✭

@oreville said:
    Jack Lee’s 1921 Saint in PCGS and later CAC stickered MS-66 grade.

Do you have the cert number for this coin? CAC website doesn't show that it has stickered any 1921 MS 66.

• Options

There is 1 stickered 1921 walker in PCGS MS-66 per the CAC website.

• Options

Coin Verification Results

Serial Number
    Grading Service
    PCGS
    Description
    1921 Half Dollars Walking Liberty MS66
    Status
    CAC

• Options
    edited March 14, 2023 10:01PM

Jack’s 1921 walker wants Simpson’s 1921 Saint to come over and play. LOL. i bought it 20 years ago in 1997 which was 20 years before CAC was formed. Still in the same PCGS OGH.

• Options

Oh, I see. You meant you owned the 1921 walker instead of 1921 saint.

• Options

Elite:

I am not sure I want to try to cross this 1921 to CACG to try to obrain a MS-66+ grade. If it was in the newer PCGS blue label holder I would be more tempted to try.

• Options
    edited March 15, 2023 1:06PM

LOL I must have been tired and wrote Saint instead of walker!

Sorry to confuse you!

Maybe I was wishing it was a 1921 Saint? LOL.
    You had me worried that somehow CAC deleted the 1921 Walker.

I went to CAC website to double check!

• Options
    edited March 15, 2023 11:20AM

@MFeld said:

@EliteCollection said:

@MFeld said:

@EliteCollection said:
    The 1933 is a special coin and got me into this crazy ambitious task of creating the best Saints set ever. The 1927-D is special because of how I got it, which is a long story, and how critical it is for a complete CAC Saint set. And the 1921 was part of the deal of the century... another long story. Including the UHR, these are my favorite Saints.

I'd love to hear some long stories from you!

Sure thing. I will give you the story of my 27D.

In 2021 when I was building my Saints set, I reached out to multiple coin dealers looking for a 27D plus a bunch of other Saints. One of the coin dealers reached out to me saying that he knows a collector that is interested in selling their 1927-D MS66 coin and the asking price was $3.2m. I won't name the dealer, but let's call him Dealer A. Dealer A did mention that this was the Eliasberg pedigree'd coin and that it has never been to CAC and Dealer A really believes that it should sticker. That was hard for me to believe that given such a big coin, why would the seller or previous owner(s) not have already sent this to CAC?

At that time, the PCGS price guide was at $2.5m and the pop report was 5 in MS66 and 1 in MS67 and none of these coins had CAC stickers. Given no recent sales of an MS66 and the previous sale was an MS65+ CAC for $2.16m, I thought $3.2m was way too high. I was at $2.5m. After some back and forth, I offered $2.7m but the seller was not willing to go lower than $3m, so I decided to pass and wait for another coin.

I forgot about the coin for a couple weeks until another coin dealer, Dealer B, reached out to me and said he has lead on a 27D. It turns out to be the same coin with Eliasberg pedigree. Dealer B came up with a better approach though. He suggested that I offer a higher price if the coin gets a CAC sticker. So my offer would be contingent on the coin stickering. This became a much more exciting situation for me. I was willing to pay more for a stickered 27D. This is because I was also trying to complete a CAC only Saints set. At the time, Half Dome had the #1 set, but his set was missing a 27D. I believe he does have a 27D but not stickered. If I was able to get a 27D with a CAC sticker, I can overtake Half Dome's set even if some of my other coins have lower grades, because my set would be 100% complete.

I thought Dealer B's suggestion was great so Dealer B helped me negotiate with the seller on a price. We eventually agreed on the $3m price if the coin stickered. If it didn't sticker, I had no obligation to buy but could offer a lower amount. The seller personally took the coin to John Albanese to have him look at the coin. John looked at it and immediately stickered it. John even thought that it had a good chance to get a plus from PCGS. So the deal was done for $3m plus a commission to Dealer B.

After the deal was done, Dealer A found out and was quite upset about the whole situation. In hindsight, maybe I should not have gone around Dealer A to work with Dealer B on the deal, but at the time I didn't think too much about it. I had no loyalty to Dealer A and Dealer B was able to come up with an innovative way to close the gap. It would also have been unfair for me to take Dealer B's idea and work with Dealer A on the deal.

After I bought the coin, I sent the coin to PCGS and it did get a plus. So now it sits in a PCGS MS 66+ CAC Ex. Eliasberg holder!

Anyways, like I said, it's a long story. I believe this is has turned out to be a great deal for me as Simpson's non-CAC MS 66 sold 6 months ago for $4.44m! Oh, and was able to complete the first ever all-CAC Saints set and it is now by far the #1 set above Half Dome's.

Thanks very much for that.

I'm a stickler for fair, honest dealing and my opinion is that once dealer A (representing the owner of the coin) rejected your offer, you had no obligation to try to negotiate further/again with him. And at that point, there was nothing improper in entering into negotiations with dealer B, after having been contacted by him.

I approached my purchases of upper grade raritiy coins over the past 10 years accepting the asking price if it CAC stickered when appropriate

Mark Feld’s former boss was just one dealer I dealt with in just doing that.

She is a sweetheart.

But back to Elite’s journey!

• Options
    edited March 15, 2023 1:07PM

Elite:

What prompted you to start collecting coins? That is the story that I want to hear also.

• Options
    MFeldMFeld Posts: 12,044 ✭✭✭✭✭

@EliteCollection said:

@oreville said:
    Elite:

What prompted you to start collecting coins? That is the story that I want to hear also.

I started young collecting pennies in albums. After college, I became a small gold bug and got into collecting Saints. I had completed about 60-70% of the set in MS64/65 grades. In 2021, when the 1933 went on auction, I was fortunately enough to have the means to go for it and managed to win it. After that, it became my goal to build the best Saints set I possibly can. I already got the hardest coin, how hard can the rest be? :D

Well, for one potential stopper, do you have any leads on the unique 1934?

😉
    😈

Mark Feld* of Heritage Auctions*Unless otherwise noted, my posts here represent my personal opinions.

• Options

@MFeld said:

😉
    😈

I'm not sure if this is a joke or if you are serious. I wasn't aware of a 1934 saint.

• Options
    MFeldMFeld Posts: 12,044 ✭✭✭✭✭

@EliteCollection said:

@MFeld said:

😉
    😈

I'm not sure if this is a joke or if you are serious. I wasn't aware of a 1934 saint.

I apologize - I was kidding.

Mark Feld* of Heritage Auctions*Unless otherwise noted, my posts here represent my personal opinions.

• Options
    WalkerfanWalkerfan Posts: 8,973 ✭✭✭✭✭

@EliteCollection said:

@MFeld said:

😉
    😈

He’s kidding. 😉

“I may not believe in myself but I believe in what I’m doing” ~Jimmy Page~

My Full Walker Registry Set (1916-1947)

https://www.ngccoin.com/registry/competitive-sets/16292/

• Options

It wouldn't be the first time that I find out something new and crazy in coins. Maybe a mint worker did a sample 1934 saint... lol.

• Options
    edited March 15, 2023 6:25PM

@EliteCollection said:
    It wouldn't be the first time that I find out something new and crazy in coins. Maybe a mint worker did a sample 1934 saint... lol.

Daniel Carr 1934-D Saint?

I wonder if Daniel Carr ever did 1917-D , 1918-D and 1919-D Saints as a fantasy strike. You would want them for sure!

• Options
    ironmanl63ironmanl63 Posts: 1,971 ✭✭✭✭✭

@EliteCollection said:

@MFeld said:

@EliteCollection said:

I'd love to hear some long stories from you!

Sure thing. I will give you the story of my 27D.

In 2021 when I was building my Saints set, I reached out to multiple coin dealers looking for a 27D plus a bunch of other Saints. One of the coin dealers reached out to me saying that he knows a collector that is interested in selling their 1927-D MS66 coin and the asking price was $3.2m. I won't name the dealer, but let's call him Dealer A. Dealer A did mention that this was the Eliasberg pedigree'd coin and that it has never been to CAC and Dealer A really believes that it should sticker. That was hard for me to believe that given such a big coin, why would the seller or previous owner(s) not have already sent this to CAC?

At that time, the PCGS price guide was at $2.5m and the pop report was 5 in MS66 and 1 in MS67 and none of these coins had CAC stickers. Given no recent sales of an MS66 and the previous sale was an MS65+ CAC for $2.16m, I thought $3.2m was way too high. I was at $2.5m. After some back and forth, I offered $2.7m but the seller was not willing to go lower than $3m, so I decided to pass and wait for another coin.

I forgot about the coin for a couple weeks until another coin dealer, Dealer B, reached out to me and said he has lead on a 27D. It turns out to be the same coin with Eliasberg pedigree. Dealer B came up with a better approach though. He suggested that I offer a higher price if the coin gets a CAC sticker. So my offer would be contingent on the coin stickering. This became a much more exciting situation for me. I was willing to pay more for a stickered 27D. This is because I was also trying to complete a CAC only Saints set. At the time, Half Dome had the #1 set, but his set was missing a 27D. I believe he does have a 27D but not stickered. If I was able to get a 27D with a CAC sticker, I can overtake Half Dome's set even if some of my other coins have lower grades, because my set would be 100% complete.

I thought Dealer B's suggestion was great so Dealer B helped me negotiate with the seller on a price. We eventually agreed on the $3m price if the coin stickered. If it didn't sticker, I had no obligation to buy but could offer a lower amount. The seller personally took the coin to John Albanese to have him look at the coin. John looked at it and immediately stickered it. John even thought that it had a good chance to get a plus from PCGS. So the deal was done for $3m plus a commission to Dealer B.

After the deal was done, Dealer A found out and was quite upset about the whole situation. In hindsight, maybe I should not have gone around Dealer A to work with Dealer B on the deal, but at the time I didn't think too much about it. I had no loyalty to Dealer A and Dealer B was able to come up with an innovative way to close the gap. It would also have been unfair for me to take Dealer B's idea and work with Dealer A on the deal.

After I bought the coin, I sent the coin to PCGS and it did get a plus. So now it sits in a PCGS MS 66+ CAC Ex. Eliasberg holder!

Anyways, like I said, it's a long story. I believe this is has turned out to be a great deal for me as Simpson's non-CAC MS 66 sold 6 months ago for $4.44m! Oh, and was able to complete the first ever all-CAC Saints set and it is now by far the #1 set above Half Dome's.

I enjoy reading coin stories. Thanks for sharing.

• Options
    crazyhounddogcrazyhounddog Posts: 13,809 ✭✭✭✭✭

All I can say is, STELLAR 👍👍
    Absolutely beautiful and congratulations on such an amazing set. I’m bowled over.

The bitterness of "Poor Quality" is remembered long after the sweetness of low price is forgotten.
  • Options

Wow what an amazing set!

• Options
    EastonCollectionEastonCollection Posts: 1,249 ✭✭✭✭✭

Elite Collection - thank you for sharing your story and journey with us. I enjoy hearing about collector's journey in coins.

Easton Collection
  • Options
    ashelandasheland Posts: 22,686 ✭✭✭✭✭

Incredible set and cool story on the 27-D. 👍

• Options
    BarberianBarberian Posts: 3,039 ✭✭✭✭✭

I looked at it for a half hour last night and I rarely even glance at saints. Beautiful coins!

3 rim nicks away from Good
  • Options
    willywilly Posts: 284 ✭✭✭✭✭

Wow nice upgrade

• Options
    GazesGazes Posts: 2,315 ✭✭✭✭✭

awesome accomplishment! Congratulations!

• Options
    Dr_BonesDr_Bones Posts: 67 ✭✭✭

Beautiful addition

Visit USPatterns.com

• Options

Thanks! This replaced a 67 CAC, so a small upgrade.

• Options
    FloridafacelifterFloridafacelifter Posts: 1,153 ✭✭✭✭✭

A new big beautiful coin like that deserves a congratulations on both forums- bravo! You’re gonna make me buy my first Saint- if you left any out there for me!

• Options

@Floridafacelifter said:
    A new big beautiful coin like that deserves a congratulations on both forums- bravo! You’re gonna make me buy my first Saint- if you left any out there for me!

Thanks!
    You don't have a Saint? That's crazy talk!

• Options
    alaura22alaura22 Posts: 2,660 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Floridafacelifter said:

Well
    Their might be a 1907 High Relief Wire Edge in MS67 CAC for sale................... :o

• Options
    FloridafacelifterFloridafacelifter Posts: 1,153 ✭✭✭✭✭

@EliteCollection said:

@Floridafacelifter said:

Thanks!
    You don't have a Saint? That's crazy talk!

Haha working on it!

• Options

@alaura22 said:
    Well
    Their might be a 1907 High Relief Wire Edge in MS67 CAC for sale................... :o

Unfortunately, that's already spoken for.

• Options
    alaura22alaura22 Posts: 2,660 ✭✭✭✭✭

@EliteCollection said:

@alaura22 said:
    Well

Unfortunately, that's already spoken for.

:)

• Options
    divecchiadivecchia Posts: 6,527 ✭✭✭✭✭

Wow, that 1907 High Relief is a beauty for sure.

Congrats on your set, you have some amazing coins.

Donato

Hobbyist & Collector (not an investor).
    Donato's Complete US Type Set ---- Donato's Dansco 7070 Modified Type Set ---- Donato's Basic U.S. Coin Design Set

Successful transactions: Shrub68 (Jim), MWallace (Mike)
  • Options
    johnny010johnny010 Posts: 1,086 ✭✭✭✭✭

@EliteCollection
    How long do you plan to hold the set together less upgrades?

Will you have a representative at ANA?

• Options
    johnny010johnny010 Posts: 1,086 ✭✭✭✭✭

@EliteCollection said:

@johnny010 said:
    @EliteCollection

I have no plans to sell the set anytime soon. @ianrussell of GreatCollections will be my representative at the ANA. I believe the set will be displayed at the GreatCollections booth unless ANA is putting it in a special location.

Very good. If you decide to visit coffee is on the house.

• Options
    OldIndianNutKaseOldIndianNutKase Posts: 2,700 ✭✭✭✭✭

@EliteCollection said:

@johnny010 said:
    @EliteCollection

I have no plans to sell the set anytime soon. @ianrussell of GreatCollections will be my representative at the ANA. I believe the set will be displayed at the GreatCollections booth unless ANA is putting it in a special location.

We will all follow with great interest your efforts on this set. Your new 67.5 is still Pop 2/3 with two 68's and a 69 possible upgrades. I am sure that you know where they are and wish you the best in acquiring them. You have come so far in this set, but you certainly have to consider the possibility that all of your coins in this set could be /0, or no better for any date. Some of your other sets are very close to this perfection as well and I hope that if you can accomplish this you will earn the respect as one of the greatest collectors ever, as in my opinion you already have. It is worth noting that you have accomplished this despite competition from other very wealthy collectors. James Bond would know you as Goldfinger........?

We on the forum appreciate your sharing your collection and wish you the best.

OINK

• Options

@OldIndianNutKase said:
    We will all follow with great interest your efforts on this set. Your new 67.5 is still Pop 2/3 with two 68's and a 69 possible upgrades. I am sure that you know where they are and wish you the best in acquiring them. You have come so far in this set, but you certainly have to consider the possibility that all of your coins in this set could be /0, or no better for any date. Some of your other sets are very close to this perfection as well and I hope that if you can accomplish this you will earn the respect as one of the greatest collectors ever, as in my opinion you already have. It is worth noting that you have accomplished this despite competition from other very wealthy collectors. James Bond would know you as Goldfinger........?

We on the forum appreciate your sharing your collection and wish you the best.

OINK

I don't know where all the coins are but they will come on the market sooner or later. And I won't rest until my set is unimprovable. But that doesn't mean I'm going to get a coin no matter the cost. I have passed on a few coins that would have improved my set.

Btw, I love the acronym you gave yourself.

• Options
    OldIndianNutKaseOldIndianNutKase Posts: 2,700 ✭✭✭✭✭

@EliteCollection said:

I don't know where all the coins are but they will come on the market sooner or later. And I won't rest until my set is unimprovable. But that doesn't mean I'm going to get a coin no matter the cost. I have passed on a few coins that would have improved my set.

Btw, I love the acronym you gave yourself.

You do have a fan base in this forum that shares your collection with you. We are the collectors who only dream of your accomplishments. And if you can MAX out the Saint set on the registry, meaning that you have no coins that do not grade top POP, you have not yet Maxed out with the highest grade possible. You are so very close, please just do not give up. Know that you do have a supporting cast behind you.

• Options
    GoBustGoBust Posts: 586 ✭✭✭✭✭

That's a very lovely plus upgrade. I appreciate how you have engaged with your fellow collectors very much! Your set is beyond Jupiter and heading for Pluto.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file