Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

Elite Collection Saints

Comments

• Options
    EastonCollectionEastonCollection Posts: 1,249 ✭✭✭✭✭

hi Elite - I am cheering and rooting you on. At ANA was able to view the Koessi's set - fabulous! You are on an incredible journey. Thank you for taking us along with you on this journey.

Easton Collection
  • Options
    FlyingAlFlyingAl Posts: 2,857 ✭✭✭✭✭

I know everyone's going wild over the circulation strikes, but I'm still amazed you were able to acquire the Koessl set. Those are some fantastic proofs!

Young Numismatist, Coin Photographer.

• Options
    gonzergonzer Posts: 2,991 ✭✭✭✭✭

Post of the year, hands down.

• Options
    AUandAGAUandAG Posts: 24,539 ✭✭✭✭✭

Wow, that 1908D is undergraded. All are stellar and your set is superb! Congratulation!!
    bob :)

Registry: CC lowballs (boblindstrom), bobinvegas1989@yahoo.com
  • Options
    AvocetAvocet Posts: 226 ✭✭✭✭

“Blown Away” is an understatement! Congratulations on putting together one of the most impressive collections in numismatics, and thank you for sharing. I join others in commenting that I would travel to a show where you display these. Your collection reaches the caliber of ‘museum quality,’ and I am excited to follow your progress in developing this collection over time. :)

• Options
    ashelandasheland Posts: 22,694 ✭✭✭✭✭

Indeed an outstanding achievement!
    :o

• Options
    NicNic Posts: 3,343 ✭✭✭✭✭

Simply awesome!

Thank you for sharing and congrat's on the 1921!

• Options
    WalkerfanWalkerfan Posts: 8,976 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited January 15, 2023 12:05PM

No mere words or qualifiers could totally and accurately describe this insanely exemplary set!!

Congratulations and thanks for sharing!!!

“I may not believe in myself but I believe in what I’m doing” ~Jimmy Page~

My Full Walker Registry Set (1916-1947)

https://www.ngccoin.com/registry/competitive-sets/16292/

• Options
    SIowhandSIowhand Posts: 319 ✭✭✭✭✭

My goodness.

• Options
    breakdownbreakdown Posts: 1,953 ✭✭✭✭✭

Great set. And the Koessl proofs are amazing - saw them at ANA.
    Are you really retiring the half eagle type set or is it just on pause?

"Look up, old boy, and see what you get." -William Bonney.

• Options
    EliteCollectionEliteCollection Posts: 149 ✭✭✭✭

@breakdown said:
    Great set. And the Koessl proofs are amazing - saw them at ANA.
    Are you really retiring the half eagle type set or is it just on pause?

Yeah, unfortunately, I sold off my gold type sets to focus on saints.

• Options
    divecchiadivecchia Posts: 6,528 ✭✭✭✭✭

Those are incredible sets. Thanks for sharing them.

Donato

Hobbyist & Collector (not an investor).
    Donato's Complete US Type Set ---- Donato's Dansco 7070 Modified Type Set ---- Donato's Basic U.S. Coin Design Set

Successful transactions: Shrub68 (Jim), MWallace (Mike)
  • Options
    boiler78boiler78 Posts: 3,049 ✭✭✭✭✭

Off the charts ........ incredible set.

• Options
    krankykranky Posts: 8,709 ✭✭✭

That is an stunning set, and congrats to you! Thanks for sharing.

We need to get a comment from Saintguru about this. :smile:

New collectors, please educate yourself before spending money on coins; there are people who believe that using numismatic knowledge to rip the naïve is what this hobby is all about.

• Options
    BullsitterBullsitter Posts: 5,340 ✭✭✭✭✭

Oh my......

• Options
    DisneyFanDisneyFan Posts: 1,719 ✭✭✭✭✭

Gifts mere mortals can only dream of possessing.

• Options
    87redcivic87redcivic Posts: 119 ✭✭✭

What really struck me while paging through the images were the changes in the Capitol Dome throughout the series. The early rapid changes in size and level of detail were significant. The dome took on different looks throughout the years as strike and die wear were handled by different mint employees throughout the decades. Thanks for opening this set for us to look at. It was very enjoyable to look at such a thoughtful set.

• Options
    Glen2022Glen2022 Posts: 844 ✭✭✭✭

How about a future PCGS Long Beach show?

• Options
    pcgscacgoldpcgscacgold Posts: 2,638 ✭✭✭✭✭

Amazing coin @EliteCollection , I love the color. Congrats.

• Options
    goldengolden Posts: 9,068 ✭✭✭✭✭

Holy Crap!

• Options
    Clackamas1Clackamas1 Posts: 768 ✭✭✭✭✭

Great set - well earned.

• Options

Simply Amazing!

• Options
    GoBustGoBust Posts: 586 ✭✭✭✭✭

Your collection is of epic and historic proportion and significance. No one has accomplised what you have accomplished, ever. Looks like you've had great fun so far! Congratulations.

• Options
    ashelandasheland Posts: 22,694 ✭✭✭✭✭

@EliteCollection said:
    I got a new coin for my sets: 1915-S MS 66+ CAC, Ex. Duckor-Akers
    https://www.pcgs.com/cert/30415778

>

Beautiful! 🥰

• Options
    lkeneficlkenefic Posts: 7,831 ✭✭✭✭✭

Collecting: Dansco 7070; Middle Date Large Cents (VF-AU); Box of 20;

Successful BST transactions with: SilverEagles92; Ahrensdad; Smitty; GregHansen; Lablade; Mercury10c; copperflopper; whatsup; KISHU1; scrapman1077, crispy, canadanz, smallchange, robkool, Mission16, ranshdow, ibzman350, Fallguy, Collectorcoins, SurfinxHI, jwitten, Walkerguy21D, dsessom.
  • Options
    lkeneficlkenefic Posts: 7,831 ✭✭✭✭✭

...and

Collecting: Dansco 7070; Middle Date Large Cents (VF-AU); Box of 20;

Successful BST transactions with: SilverEagles92; Ahrensdad; Smitty; GregHansen; Lablade; Mercury10c; copperflopper; whatsup; KISHU1; scrapman1077, crispy, canadanz, smallchange, robkool, Mission16, ranshdow, ibzman350, Fallguy, Collectorcoins, SurfinxHI, jwitten, Walkerguy21D, dsessom.
  • Options
    VasantiVasanti Posts: 448 ✭✭✭✭

Gorgeous coins!

• Options
    messydeskmessydesk Posts: 19,704 ✭✭✭✭✭

Ho Lee Cow! Epic sets. Thanks for sharing.

• Options
    FranklinHalfAddictFranklinHalfAddict Posts: 651 ✭✭✭✭✭

Not only did you complete the set, which is an amazing accomplishment on its own, but the grades that you did it in…. WOW!! Congratulations!

• Options
    rip_frip_f Posts: 368 ✭✭✭✭

Nice 1929 upgrade!
    I (we) are humbled sir.
    Thanks for posting this.

• Options
    Downtown1974Downtown1974 Posts: 6,727 ✭✭✭✭✭
  • Options
    FloridafacelifterFloridafacelifter Posts: 1,155 ✭✭✭✭✭

Jolly good show there Elite!!

• Options

Thanks guys! I'm working on getting a custom Elite label ready and plan to display my top Saints set (https://www.pcgs.com/setregistry/gold/20-gold-major-sets/st-gaudens-20-gold-major-varieties-circulation-strikes-1907-1932/alltimeset/47682) at the ANA this year. Stay tuned.

• Options
    messydeskmessydesk Posts: 19,704 ✭✭✭✭✭

@EliteCollection said:
    Thanks guys! I'm working on getting a custom Elite label ready and plan to display my top Saints set (https://www.pcgs.com/setregistry/gold/20-gold-major-sets/st-gaudens-20-gold-major-varieties-circulation-strikes-1907-1932/alltimeset/47682) at the ANA this year. Stay tuned.

Looking forward to seeing it!

• Options
    PhilLynottPhilLynott Posts: 881 ✭✭✭✭✭

Absolutely spectacular. As I was scrolling and got to the bottom I was like this is insane but no chance I click next and see the thirty thr...oh nevermind there it is of course

• Options
    orevilleoreville Posts: 11,786 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited March 14, 2023 10:13AM

I cannot believe I missed your Saint thread from January.

I am truly envious of your accomplishment. I have to tread carefully assembling my Saint set to avoid my wife divorcing me!

How did you do it? LOL. Meaning how did you sweet talk your family into allowing you to spend your funds on little gold coins instead of Silicon Valley Bank? 😳

I am happy and impressed you are trying to preserve the legacy of the pedigree of each Saint and not just reslabbing them into a new “Elite” slab.

You have the forbidden fruit… the 1933 along with the virtual forbidden fruit the 1921 and the 1927-D!
    Which one of the three do you enjoy the most?

Enjoy your set in good health and good fortune. Thank you for sharing with us your journey.

Looking at your set through photos cannot compare to viewing them in person.

A Collectors Universe poster since 1997!
  • Options
    NeophyteNumismatistNeophyteNumismatist Posts: 897 ✭✭✭✭✭

Amazing set! Thanks for sharing!!!

I am a newer collector (started April 2020), and I primarily focus on U.S. Half Cents and Type Coins. Early copper is my favorite.

• Options
    dhikewhitneydhikewhitney Posts: 364 ✭✭✭

Simply stunning! the best of the best

Thank you for sharing the beauty with us.

• Options
    SametsSamets Posts: 109 ✭✭✭

Damn. That's all I can say.

• Options

@oreville said:
    I cannot believe I missed your Saint thread from January.

I am truly envious of your accomplishment. I have to tread carefully assembling my Saint set to avoid my wife divorcing me!

How did you do it? LOL. Meaning how did you sweet talk your family into allowing you to spend your funds on little gold coins instead of Silicon Valley Bank? 😳

I am happy and impressed you are trying to preserve the legacy of the pedigree of each Saint and not just reslabbing them into a new “Elite” slab.

You have the forbidden fruit… the 1933 along with the virtual forbidden fruit the 1921 and the 1927-D!
    Which one of the three do you enjoy the most?

Enjoy your set in good health and good fortune. Thank you for sharing with us your journey.

Looking at your set through photos cannot compare to viewing them in person.

I agree that legacy and pedigrees are very important. I will make sure to include all the important pedigrees on the slabs.

The 1933 is a special coin and got me into this crazy ambitious task of creating the best Saints set ever. The 1927-D is special because of how I got it, which is a long story, and how critical it is for a complete CAC Saint set. And the 1921 was part of the deal of the century... another long story. Including the UHR, these are my favorite Saints.

• Options
    Riley1955Riley1955 Posts: 136 ✭✭✭

Awesome. The best of the best. Thanks for sharing it with us.!

• Options
    SanctionIISanctionII Posts: 11,731 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited March 15, 2023 5:04PM

What an enjoyable thread and a fantastic collection of Saints.

All easily accessible with a few keystrokes/mouse clicks.

My own personal connection to Saints is limited (I have previously owned a single 1927 P raw MS Saint [at best a 63 or 64]) and (besides the one owned) imaginary.

I was born and raised in Denver. In 1966 my parents purchased a home in Denver and I grew up there from aged 10 to 18. The home was built in 1927 and prior to my parents purchasing it, there had been two prior owners. The first owner purchased it from the developer and owned it for about 1 year. The second owner was a husband and wife who bought it in or about 1928 and lived there until my parents purchased it in 1966. The home had a basement, main floor and attic, with many out of the way places where things could be stashed away (including heating ducts behind ornate metal grates).

The home was built on a fairly large residential lot, including big back yard, vegetable garden, detached garage and a brick incinerator.

Fast forward to 2013. My mother had passed away in 1995 and my father lived in the home as a widower until sometime in 2012 when he had to go into assisted living. To pay for the cost of assisted living, the family home had to be sold in 2013. The sale took place and in connection with same all personal belongings in the home and on the property had to be removed.

The home and property had been owned and occupied by three sets of owners for about 85-86 years. The home is located about 35 blocks from the Denver mint. Imagine what coins were present on that property since 1927 (some of which were dropped and lost).

In fact in 1966 or 1967 my mother was working in the vegetable garden. She dug up a plant and a clod of dirt was attached to it. She broke up the clod of dirt and saw something round and dirty. She was going to throw the round and dirty thing into the alleyway behind the rear fence but rubbed it first. She then saw the round thing was a coin. So instead of throwing it away she brought it into the house and gave it to me. I ran it under water and let the dirt fall off.

Low and behold the coin my mother found in the garden and gave to me is a 1913 S Cent that is about in EF condition. I still have it in a Dancso Album.

My sister and I took on the task of emptying the personal property from the home and the land it was built on. Doing so was like a treasure hunt (my father had currency and coins stored all over the house totaling thousands of dollars). As I was cleaning out the home my mind wandered into "buried treasure land". I speculated that somewhere in the home or buried on the property was stash of some MS 1927 D Saints that had been obtained in 1927 and stored in a hiding place.

I even had a couple of metal detectors in the Denver Metro area stop by the property a few days before the escrow closing to search the property for buried coins.

The metal detectorists had success in finding and digging up a large number of items, including Lincoln Cents, Indian Head Cents, and nickels dating back to the 1890s, plus a silver dime. Unfortunately no 1927 D Saints (or other Saints) were found.

It sure was fun dreaming about finding some 1927 D Saints stashed away in the family home. The only thing that would make that memory better would be to have actually found a 1927 D Saint (or other gold coin(s)).

Now that I have droned on about the above story, I think I will shift my focus to looking at the OP's Saint Collection.

:)

• Options
    SilverBlindSilverBlind Posts: 96 ✭✭✭

Truly wonderful collection. Congratulations

BST References] oilstates2003, GoldCoin98, COINS MAKE CENTS, SurfinxHI, mbogoman, detroitfan2,

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file