Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

The best PL 1970-D I've owned (or seen)

braddickbraddick Posts: 23,116 ✭✭✭✭✭
edited January 12, 2023 3:27PM in U.S. Coin Forum

This Kennedy half arrived today, and honestly- I was taken aback by how PL it does appear in person.
You wouldn't bat an eye if this were an "S" mint proof.
As it stands, it is the finest I've seen.
(There is a mark on the holder I've yet to remove.)

Here are my photos that were taken moments ago:




Here is a photo taken in natural sunlight:

I know ownership accounts for a bump in eye appeal, yet honestly, I'd compare it
as being even finer than the following NGC DPL offered on eBay (and mine was $42.00):
And mine has a solid cameo!

https://www.ebay.com/itm/374235858008

peacockcoins

Comments

  • Options
    davewesendavewesen Posts: 5,853 ✭✭✭✭✭

    very nice ... does the reverse have enough to get the PL designation?

  • Options
    WAYNEASWAYNEAS Posts: 6,352 ✭✭✭✭✭

    A super Kennedy coin.
    A rare coin in my opinion.
    Cherish it.
    I bid on one months ago and was totally blown out of the water by the winning bid.
    Wayne

    Kennedys are my quest...

  • Options
    SanctionIISanctionII Posts: 11,721 ✭✭✭✭✭

    Very nice.

    From the photos in your opening post it appears that the coin has developed some light haze on both sides. If so, do you think the haze can be safely removed (thereby improving the appearance of the coin)?

    Good luck on your upcoming submission to our host to attempt to obtain a PL designation.

  • Options
    cmerlo1cmerlo1 Posts: 7,891 ✭✭✭✭✭

    Wow- that's a knockout!

    You Suck! Awarded 6/2008- 1901-O Micro O Morgan, 8/2008- 1878 VAM-123 Morgan, 9/2022 1888-O VAM-1B3 H8 Morgan | Senior Regional Representative- ANACS Coin Grading. Posted opinions on coins are my own, and are not an official ANACS opinion.
  • Options
    TomBTomB Posts: 20,732 ✭✭✭✭✭

    Fantastic! That is a rare coin, but I realize you know that already.

    Thomas Bush Numismatics & Numismatic Photography

    In honor of the memory of Cpl. Michael E. Thompson

    image
  • Options
    leothelyonleothelyon Posts: 8,362 ✭✭✭✭✭

    I would not dip it, you would only create more haze by removing another layer of the proof mirrors. Only solution to getting better mirrors is to keep searching for another coin.

    Leo

    The more qualities observed in a coin, the more desirable that coin becomes!

    My Jefferson Nickel Collection

  • Options
    braddickbraddick Posts: 23,116 ✭✭✭✭✭

    @WAYNEAS said:
    A super Kennedy coin.
    A rare coin in my opinion.
    Cherish it.
    I bid on one months ago and was totally blown out of the water by the winning bid.
    Wayne

    This was a freshly listed BIN at $42.

    peacockcoins

  • Options
    ChrisH821ChrisH821 Posts: 6,334 ✭✭✭✭✭

    @leothelyon said:
    I would not dip it, you would only create more haze by removing another layer of the proof mirrors. Only solution to getting better mirrors is to keep searching for another coin.

    Leo

    There are ways to remove haze other than dipping. MS70 or acetone come to mind.

    Collector, occasional seller

  • Options
    FlyingAlFlyingAl Posts: 2,854 ✭✭✭✭✭

    If it looks like that last picture obverse and reverse in hand, I'd say it looks better than the NGC DPL as well (provided that coin looks like the images too).

    Great pick!

    Young Numismatist, Coin Photographer.

  • Options
    leothelyonleothelyon Posts: 8,362 ✭✭✭✭✭

    @ChrisH821 said:

    @leothelyon said:
    I would not dip it, you would only create more haze by removing another layer of the proof mirrors. Only solution to getting better mirrors is to keep searching for another coin.

    Leo

    There are ways to remove haze other than dipping. MS70 or acetone come to mind.

    When those chemicals are used, they only remove the discoloration from the corroson that has already taken place/damaged the surfaces/mirrors. There's not a chemical in this universe that can restore the original proof fields back to what they were the day they left the mint. The haze that can be seen now is the crystalization of the corrosion that's still on the coin. Dipping will only make the haze more evident/obvious after the colors, that were hiding the corrosion/haze to begin with, are washed away.

    Leo

    The more qualities observed in a coin, the more desirable that coin becomes!

    My Jefferson Nickel Collection

  • Options
    Clackamas1Clackamas1 Posts: 765 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited January 12, 2023 7:36PM

    WOW - That is a circ strike?? Dang!! I have gone through thousand of 68-D's and 71's and never have I seen a coin close to that coin. That has to be a misgraded proof.

  • Options
    U1chicagoU1chicago Posts: 5,609 ✭✭✭✭✭

    Glad it worked out! Great purchase!

  • Options
    MaywoodMaywood Posts: 1,897 ✭✭✭✭✭

    Not a mis-graded proof as the "D" is clear in Pat's images. I have seen others with a slight PL look but nothing that comes close to that. The bonus is that it's in a green label holder with the ring that reacted photosynthetically and turned green. Nice catch!! :)

  • Options
    CuprinkorCuprinkor Posts: 202 ✭✭✭

    Better send it back to PCGS for Modern Value Reconsideration. Obviously this coin was certified before PCGS designated non-Morgan Dollars as prooflike (PL).

    Great buy!

  • Options
    gumby1234gumby1234 Posts: 5,428 ✭✭✭✭✭

    PL or DPL are measured by how deeply the fields reflection is. Very hard to see in photos. The NGC 63 DPL probably has deeper mirrored fields than what the photo shows.

    You coin looks extremely nice for what it is. The haziness on both sides I don't like thou.

    Successful BST with ad4400, Kccoin, lablover, pointfivezero, koynekwest, jwitten, coin22lover, HalfDimeDude, erwindoc, jyzskowsi, COINS MAKE CENTS, AlanSki, BryceM

  • Options
    david3142david3142 Posts: 3,421 ✭✭✭✭✭

    Wow, that turned out great! Looks like a very nice cameo. Excellent pick-up.

  • Options
    coinkatcoinkat Posts: 22,790 ✭✭✭✭✭

    Simply rare and wonderful- this is a keeper. I would give the most serious thought to sending in for reconsideration- I see PL as a reasonable outcome as I suspect the PL designation for a business strike Kennedy likely did not exist at the time of submission. Could it PL65? I am unable to offer the best opinion without an in hand look at the fields... but I would not rule out the possibility. This is likely the best I have seen- but obviously I have only seen the image.

    Congrats- terrific addition

    Experience the World through Numismatics...it's more than you can imagine.

  • Options
    LeeBoneLeeBone Posts: 4,316 ✭✭✭✭✭

    I really like that one! B)

    The green ring gasket is pretty darn cool too. :)

  • Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

    That is a very nice Kennedy half... I cannot judge the depth of the mirrors from those pictures. However, if they are deep, it may be worth submitting for reconsideration. Good luck, Cheers, RickO

  • Options
    johnny9434johnny9434 Posts: 27,512 ✭✭✭✭✭

    That's a sweet score, congrats

  • Options
    MeltdownMeltdown Posts: 8,667 ✭✭✭✭✭
  • Options
    kirkminkkirkmink Posts: 172 ✭✭✭✭

    Beautiful coin and an excellent score. Cherish it for the rare find it is.

    "Why waste time learning, when ignorance is instantaneous?"- Calvin and Hobbes

  • Options
    MartinMartin Posts: 837 ✭✭✭✭✭

    Nice coin. If you want to make a 100% return on that investment let me know😉

    Thanks for posting it

    Martin

  • Options
    privatecoinprivatecoin Posts: 3,187 ✭✭✭✭✭

    very nice......

    Paper money eventually returns to its intrinsic value. Zero. Voltaire. Ebay coinbowlllc

  • Options
    ChrisH821ChrisH821 Posts: 6,334 ✭✭✭✭✭

    @leothelyon said:

    @ChrisH821 said:

    @leothelyon said:
    I would not dip it, you would only create more haze by removing another layer of the proof mirrors. Only solution to getting better mirrors is to keep searching for another coin.

    Leo

    There are ways to remove haze other than dipping. MS70 or acetone come to mind.

    When those chemicals are used, they only remove the discoloration from the corroson that has already taken place/damaged the surfaces/mirrors. There's not a chemical in this universe that can restore the original proof fields back to what they were the day they left the mint. The haze that can be seen now is the crystalization of the corrosion that's still on the coin. Dipping will only make the haze more evident/obvious after the colors, that were hiding the corrosion/haze to begin with, are washed away.

    Leo

    I have removed haze from many proof coins without any ill effect, with MS70. You are making the assumption that all haze is a byproduct of something reacting with the surface metal, that is not the case. A lot of haze is simply contamination deposited onto the surface of a coin. It really doesn't matter though since this coin isn't being broken out, also the haze isn't bad at all on this.

    How much premium is attached to these 70-D PLs? I have one that I would call about a 63PL but have not tried grading since I wasn't sure it would be worth it.

    Collector, occasional seller

  • Options
    messydeskmessydesk Posts: 19,704 ✭✭✭✭✭

    Wow! Nice score. I'd send it for a designation review to get the PL on the holder, but then the old holder means nothing to me. Mirrors look deeper than the ones in the CF gallery and the one Heritage sold, for what it's worth. (Yes, I know, you can't fairly compare PL qualities across different photographers' photos.)

    @ChrisH821 said:

    @leothelyon said:

    @ChrisH821 said:

    @leothelyon said:
    I would not dip it, you would only create more haze by removing another layer of the proof mirrors. Only solution to getting better mirrors is to keep searching for another coin.

    Leo

    There are ways to remove haze other than dipping. MS70 or acetone come to mind.

    When those chemicals are used, they only remove the discoloration from the corroson that has already taken place/damaged the surfaces/mirrors. There's not a chemical in this universe that can restore the original proof fields back to what they were the day they left the mint. The haze that can be seen now is the crystalization of the corrosion that's still on the coin. Dipping will only make the haze more evident/obvious after the colors, that were hiding the corrosion/haze to begin with, are washed away.

    Leo

    I have removed haze from many proof coins without any ill effect, with MS70. You are making the assumption that all haze is a byproduct of something reacting with the surface metal, that is not the case. A lot of haze is simply contamination deposited onto the surface of a coin. It really doesn't matter though since this coin isn't being broken out, also the haze isn't bad at all on this.

    How much premium is attached to these 70-D PLs? I have one that I would call about a 63PL but have not tried grading since I wasn't sure it would be worth it.

    Heritage sold an NGC 65PL in November for $336

  • Options
    braddickbraddick Posts: 23,116 ✭✭✭✭✭

    Here are three added photos that were taken right now (with my iPhone) with no editing other than to crop:



    peacockcoins

  • Options
    CuprinkorCuprinkor Posts: 202 ✭✭✭

    I suspect there also exist 1968-D & 1969-D PL Kennedy Halves. I have seen semi-PL versions of each.

  • Options
    oih82w8oih82w8 Posts: 11,902 ✭✭✭✭✭

    I do like the coin, but love the holder!

    oih82w8 = Oh I Hate To Wait _defectus patientia_aka...Dr. Defecto - Curator of RMO's

    BST transactions: dbldie55, jayPem, 78saen, UltraHighRelief, nibanny, liefgold, FallGuy, lkeigwin, mbogoman, Sandman70gt, keets, joeykoins, ianrussell (@GC), EagleEye, ThePennyLady, GRANDAM, Ilikecolor, Gluggo, okiedude, Voyageur, LJenkins11, fastfreddie, ms70, pursuitofliberty, ZoidMeister,Coin Finder, GotTheBug, edwardjulio, Coinnmore...
  • Options
    cladkingcladking Posts: 28,339 ✭✭✭✭✭

    @Cuprinkor said:
    I suspect there also exist 1968-D & 1969-D PL Kennedy Halves. I have seen semi-PL versions of each.

    The '68-D isn't too tough but I've never seen very Pl in it. The '69 is much tougher.

    The '70-D here is apparently about as PL as this date comes. You can find cleaner PL's with great effort but probably not as PL.

    Tempus fugit.
  • Options
    NumisOxideNumisOxide Posts: 10,989 ✭✭✭✭✭

    Cool coin! Nice score.

  • Options
    7Jaguars7Jaguars Posts: 7,268 ✭✭✭✭✭

    Wonderful coin and guess I am a hater as I'd like it...I am wondering from the last pictures if the reverse can carry it; the obverse looks great.

    Love that Milled British (1830-1960)
    Well, just Love coins, period.
  • Options
    The_Dinosaur_ManThe_Dinosaur_Man Posts: 839 ✭✭✭✭✭

    That is one fantastic 1970-D!

    Custom album maker and numismatic photographer, see my portfolio here: (http://www.donahuenumismatics.com/).

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Image
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file