Home U.S. Coin Forum

Best Answers

• davewesendavewesen Posts: 5,758 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Stargate11 said:
    PCGS has taken images, and he’s being encapsulated as we speak . The error is not in question the rarity is.

It is UNIQUE, the only one like it.

• lcutlerlcutler Posts: 496 ✭✭✭✭

@Stargate11 said:
    Question is what are the criteria considered when PCGS grades coins. I’ve seen the videos and I’ve read the books there’s so much you can take from it experiences is key but obviously there’s something else at play here that I’m missing because I can never get past Ms68.I take everything into consideration, but when you have a coin that has no bag marks full strike, , full luster no nicks on the rims and OBV and REV are in same condition I never get back a coin higher then 68 I know it’s extremely difficult to go beyond this point but my five top coins all came back the same never more than 68, so I was wondering if there’s something else they look at when grading?

I'd say you are looking at the right things, they are just looking a lot closer. Once you get above 68 you are getting to perfection.

• JoeLewisJoeLewis Posts: 1,904 ✭✭✭✭

@Stargate11 said:

Question is what are the criteria considered when PCGS grades coins. I’ve seen the videos and I’ve read the books there’s so much you can take from it experiences is key but obviously there’s something else at play here that I’m missing because I can never get past Ms68.I take everything into consideration, but when you have a coin that has no bag marks full strike, , full luster no nicks on the rims and OBV and REV are in same condition I never get back a coin higher then 68 I know it’s extremely difficult to go beyond this point but my five top coins all came back the same never more than 68, so I was wondering if there’s something else they look at when grading?

If you posted very clear, closeup pictures of that coin, maybe people could give you opinions on why it didn’t grade higher than 68.

I’m definitely not an expert on what differentiates these ultra high grades from one another, but I can tell you that people typically underestimate just how friggin perfect a coin has to be to warrant these >67 grades.

Answers

• bsshog40bsshog40 Posts: 3,767 ✭✭✭✭✭

Looks like damage that just spread the letters out. Not an error.

• PCGS has taken images, and he’s being encapsulated as we speak . The error is not in question the rarity is.

• JBKJBK Posts: 14,637 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited January 11, 2023 6:32PM

Now this I have to see. Be sure to post the results.

• bsshog40bsshog40 Posts: 3,767 ✭✭✭✭✭

I agree. Interested in what they say. Make sure to post results when you get them.

• seanqseanq Posts: 8,568 ✭✭✭✭✭

From the pics provided it looks like an old fashioned "vice job" to me, I am also curious to see what PCGS thought of it after examining it in the hand.

Sean Reynolds

Incomplete planchets wanted, especially Lincoln Cents & type coins.

"Keep in mind that most of what passes as numismatic information is no more than tested opinion at best, and marketing blather at worst. However, I try to choose my words carefully, since I know that you guys are always watching." - Joe O'Connor
  • I clearly outlined where the errors are I should have it back next week from PCGS the rarity of it it’s what concerns me

• AUandAGAUandAG Posts: 24,515 ✭✭✭✭✭

I too see damage, so perhaps you can explain what PCGS called the error?

bob :)

Registry: CC lowballs (boblindstrom), bobinvegas1989@yahoo.com
  • rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

That is a damaged nickel.... and it is rare, likely not another just like it. However, no numismatic premium because it is not an error. Cheers, RickO

You can pay PCGS to grade/slab/photo any coin. ;)

The question is, what does the label say?

• jesbrokenjesbroken Posts: 9,151 ✭✭✭✭✭

Do you feel the damage was done by an extra strike?
    Jim

When a man who is honestly mistaken hears the truth, he will either quit being mistaken or cease to be honest....Abraham Lincoln

Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it.....Mark Twain
  • @seanq said:
    From the pics provided it looks like an old fashioned "vice job" to me, I am also curious to see what PCGS thought of it after examining it in the hand.

Sean Reynolds

The question is what coin(s) created those letters on the reverse.

Young Numismatist

• messydeskmessydesk Posts: 19,640 ✭✭✭✭✭
  • gumby1234gumby1234 Posts: 5,404 ✭✭✭✭✭

They may slab it 1941 5 cent Details damaged G details.

Successful BST with ad4400, Kccoin, lablover, pointfivezero, koynekwest, jwitten, coin22lover, HalfDimeDude, erwindoc, jyzskowsi, COINS MAKE CENTS, AlanSki, BryceM

• lcutlerlcutler Posts: 496 ✭✭✭✭

Can you relay exactly what you heard from PCGS? I am afraid you may have misunderstood.

• jmlanzafjmlanzaf Posts: 31,611 ✭✭✭✭✭

Pareidolia is real.

@Stargate11 said:
    PCGS has taken images, and he’s being encapsulated as we speak . The error is not in question the rarity is.

And what does the slab say?

• morgandollar1878morgandollar1878 Posts: 4,006 ✭✭✭✭✭

I think you are going to be disappointed in the results, but let us know what you get.

Instagram: nomad_numismatics
  • robecrobec Posts: 6,577 ✭✭✭✭✭

The fact that they are being imaged doesn’t mean they have a clean grade. By default on the submission form all coins will be holdered, damaged or not as long as they are genuine. They will be imaged, damaged or with grades as long as you paid for the TrueView or paid for the Gold Shield holder.

• JimnightJimnight Posts: 10,763 ✭✭✭✭✭

PMD ... but the best of luck to you!

@Stargate11 said:

And what does the slab say?> @gumby1234 said:

@jmlanzaf said:

@Stargate11 said:

And what does the slab say?

Slabs don't say anything silly, they are made of plastic and cant talk. They label probably reads DAMAGED G details

That was one of my grandfather's favorite jokes. If someone said, "what does the clock say?" or something similar,

• Not worried if this coin grades out or not I have a lot of cool mint errors being graded no worries . I will post, regardless of what the outcome . I sent this in originally because of the clip marks typically when you have a double strike and you have an extra planchet involved you see these clip marks. As in photos

• AUandAGAUandAG Posts: 24,515 ✭✭✭✭✭

I thought damage, too, but will await PCGS review.

bob :)

Registry: CC lowballs (boblindstrom), bobinvegas1989@yahoo.com
  • @Stargate11 said:
    Not worried if this coin grades out or not I have a lot of cool mint errors being graded no worries . I will post, regardless of what the outcome . I sent this in originally because of the clip marks typically when you have a double strike and you have an extra planchet involved you see these clip marks. As in photos

Where is said "extra planchet"?

Young Numismatist

• I’ll be posting soon the results just keep in mind that there are a lot of cool unknown errors out there like the I found today. I have hundreds I’m trying to get them a graded fast as PCGS can turnaround time sucks. Photos of a 1965-P 1C very cool not worth much I’m sure somebody will say it’s vertical damage 🤷‍♂️

• davewesendavewesen Posts: 5,758 ✭✭✭✭✭

cool errors, can you give us cert numbers when they get posted?

• Here’s another one to tickle everyone’s fancy strike through with foreign material happens all the time every conceivable item has one time or another as landed. On a coin to me this looks like hair netting. what do you guys think? And no it’s not itching.

• I will post the certificate numbers once I receive them I have 20 error coins coming back this month. I won’t post the other photos because I don’t want to give you guys a brain aneurysm, denying the existence of these coins and if I get some back as non gradable, so what it’s part of discovery . just wait to see the rest of them just as interesting I know I know this guy is throwing away money. Sometimes you have to send your coin to experts for you to obtain a letter backing your claim in order for PCGS to certify. when I find such coins, I have no qualms to send it out that additional effort pays off at the end but you must have patience.

I'd say he should post them here first to see what is actually an error, but we know how that would work out.

• FrazFraz Posts: 1,694 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Pizzaman said:
    You're wasting your money sending these in…

It’s for my learning—money not wasted; neither are commas.

• goodmoney4badmoneygoodmoney4badmoney Posts: 1,109 ✭✭✭✭

Is this for real? Yikes

• spyglassdesignspyglassdesign Posts: 1,465 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Stargate11 said:
    Sometimes you have to send your coin to experts for you to obtain a letter backing your claim in order for PCGS to certify.

You do realize there are quite a few experts right here on the forum willing to give you their expert opinion free of charge... As a few already have?

But hey if you want to spend your own hard earned cash learning the hard way that's your call. Some of us prefer not to hammer our thumbs over and over before listening to the experts 🫣😅

For your sake I hope you do come up with an interesting error or two so it's not all wasted money, however it is highly unlikely anything will have any meaningful numismatic value to make up the money you are investing in your education.

Side note... I'm really scratching my head about all these new guys coming out trying to prove errors to the experts lately... Is there some Facebook fad or tiktok fad going on?

• Me and my friend we share discoveries together this is one of his nice 👍 1979 1c we both think alike we’re not worried about coins being returned . Discovery is the game. Everything else is just learning experiences in a hobby we love. there’s still so much to be found out there, but everyone still tied up in their brains about impossible impossible. They love that word. but I’ll let you in a little secret anything man-made can go wrong.

• jesbrokenjesbroken Posts: 9,151 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Stargate11 said:
    Me and my friend we share discoveries together this is one of his nice 👍 1979 1c we both think alike we’re not worried about coins being returned . Discovery is the game. Everything else is just learning experiences in a hobby we love. there’s still so much to be found out there, but everyone still tied up in their brains about impossible impossible. They love that word. but I’ll let you in a little secret anything man-made can go wrong.

I think it is great that you are willing to learn. I hope you do so. Have you learned yet, on your own, what causes such errors as you profess, at the mint? Maybe a book on the minting process and not just that coins were struck from a blank, but the exact minute process which would allow your coins to be made? I think that would be your best investment at this point in your learning process. I do wish you good luck and consider this point, why post photos of your items on a forum with many very astute collectors and numismatic professionals yet are unwilling to believe them?
    Jim

When a man who is honestly mistaken hears the truth, he will either quit being mistaken or cease to be honest....Abraham Lincoln

Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it.....Mark Twain

This comes from Bizarro Superman’s junk.

• Here’s another one to add to my long collection. I want everyone to know. I appreciate everyone’s input whether you agree with me or not I read all comments very much appreciate it either way, but chime in at the bottom. If you agree with me making toxic remarks and jokes gets us nowhere and nothing is learned. Its was my understanding this is where a collectors come to seek help, and to share information I did I get this wrong?

@Stargate11 said:
    Here’s another one to add to my long collection. I want everyone to know. I appreciate everyone’s input whether you agree with me or not I read all comments very much appreciate it either way, but chime in at the bottom. If you agree with me making toxic remarks and jokes gets us nowhere and nothing is learned. Its was my understanding this is where a collectors come to seek help, and to share information I did I get this wrong?

I see displaced (raised) metal, which would indicate a scratch/gouge.

What do you see? What kind of error do you think it is? 🤔

I like the Bizarro coin.

• Every conceivable item you can think of at one time or another has been struck through onto US coins, paper, clips pieces of wiring, sandpaper cloth buttons, netting, packaging, material everything but yet everyone seems surprised when they find one how many times have I seen it on the auctions, some command more than others, depending on the condition of the coin And what the item is but it’s quite common they are out there but what do I know i’m just quoting facts . I won’t be posting anymore until I get everything back from PCGS because there are too many professionals on this site thinking that every find that I have is incorrect just like when the professionals say you can’t find MS 68 or higher grades through bank rolls thanks to the professionals I am using the coins that I keep running into in ms 68 or better to pay my grading fees . I hope the professionals keep passing that advice to everyone it works for me.🤫 and the sad part about it is that no one ever even bothered to ask me what do I do for a living? I got 40 years experience, one thing I do have is patience, will see who has the last word I’m dying to see there comments after the fact. And I definitely in the future won’t post any photos unless I have the PCGS slab in my hand. I just won’t tell them that it’s been certified just to see the feedback. Which shouldn’t be a problem because there’s no way they will make a mistake. No way impossible.

You're not fooling anyone here. Some of the people here deal in errors for a living. One of them was the person who authenticated errors for PCGS until a couple years ago.

You are squandering an incredible opportunity to learn. :/

But, carry on if that makes you happy.

• IkesTIkesT Posts: 2,449 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Stargate11 said:
    I appreciate everyone’s input whether you agree with me or not I read all comments very much appreciate it either way

@Stargate11 said:
    I won’t be posting anymore until I get everything back from PCGS because there are too many professionals on this site thinking that every find that I have is incorrect just like when the professionals say you can’t find MS 68 or higher grades through bank rolls thanks to the professionals I am using the coins that I keep running into in ms 68 or better to pay my grading fees . I hope the professionals keep passing that advice to everyone it works for me.🤫 and the sad part about it is that no one ever even bothered to ask me what do I do for a living? I got 40 years experience, one thing I do have is patience, will see who has the last word I’m dying to see there comments after the fact. And I definitely in the future won’t post any photos unless I have the PCGS slab in my hand. I just won’t tell them that it’s been certified just to see the feedback. Which shouldn’t be a problem because there’s no way they will make a mistake. No way impossible.

That was fast.

• FredWeinbergFredWeinberg Posts: 5,714 ✭✭✭✭✭

Whatever…..

Retired Collector & Dealer in Major Mint Error Coins & Currency since the 1960's.Co-Author of Whitman's "100 Greatest U.S. Mint Error Coins", and the Error Coin Encyclopedia, Vols., III & IV. Retired Authenticator for Major Mint Errors
    for PCGS. A 49+-Year PNG Member...A full numismatist since 1972, retired in 2022
  • OwnerofawheatiehordeOwnerofawheatiehorde Posts: 1,504 ✭✭✭✭✭

:#

Type collector, mainly into Seated. Young Numismatist. Good BST transactions with: mirabela, OKCC, MICHAELDIXON

• JoeLewisJoeLewis Posts: 1,904 ✭✭✭✭

@Stargate11 said:
    Every conceivable item you can think of at one time or another has been struck through onto US coins, paper, clips pieces of wiring, sandpaper cloth buttons, netting, packaging, material everything but yet everyone seems surprised when they find one how many times have I seen it on the auctions, some command more than others, depending on the condition of the coin And what the item is but it’s quite common they are out there but what do I know i’m just quoting facts . I won’t be posting anymore until I get everything back from PCGS because there are too many professionals on this site thinking that every find that I have is incorrect just like when the professionals say you can’t find MS 68 or higher grades through bank rolls thanks to the professionals I am using the coins that I keep running into in ms 68 or better to pay my grading fees . I hope the professionals keep passing that advice to everyone it works for me.🤫 and the sad part about it is that no one ever even bothered to ask me what do I do for a living? I got 40 years experience, one thing I do have is patience, will see who has the last word I’m dying to see there comments after the fact. And I definitely in the future won’t post any photos unless I have the PCGS slab in my hand. I just won’t tell them that it’s been certified just to see the feedback. Which shouldn’t be a problem because there’s no way they will make a mistake. No way impossible.

Okay. What do you do for a living?

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file