Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

How common is this error?

2»

Answers

• Options
    lcutlerlcutler Posts: 504 ✭✭✭✭

@Stargate11 said:
    Me and my friend we share discoveries together this is one of his nice 👍 1979 1c we both think alike we’re not worried about coins being returned . Discovery is the game. Everything else is just learning experiences in a hobby we love. there’s still so much to be found out there, but everyone still tied up in their brains about impossible impossible. They love that word. but I’ll let you in a little secret anything man-made can go wrong.

This one is interesting, is the line through cent raised?

• Options

@Stargate11 said:
    I’ll be posting soon the results just keep in mind that there are a lot of cool unknown errors out there like the I found today. I have hundreds I’m trying to get them a graded fast as PCGS can turnaround time sucks. Photos of a 1965-P 1C very cool not worth much I’m sure somebody will say it’s vertical damage 🤷‍♂️

This one appears to be "something". Die damage of some sort?

• Options

@Stargate11 said:
    Here’s another one to add to my long collection. I want everyone to know. I appreciate everyone’s input whether you agree with me or not I read all comments very much appreciate it either way, but chime in at the bottom. If you agree with me making toxic remarks and jokes gets us nowhere and nothing is learned. Its was my understanding this is where a collectors come to seek help, and to share information I did I get this wrong?

Just a deep scratch.

• Options
    FrazFraz Posts: 1,876 ✭✭✭✭✭

Create imaginary rivalries.

• Options
    ChrisH821ChrisH821 Posts: 6,341 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Pizzaman said:
    This looks unusual. What kind of error is it?

Dummies, they tried to build a car around a pole.

Collector, occasional seller

• Options

What am I missing here? I normally stick to the 50’s and 60’s because of the shit show going on at the mint at that time some years Dont have 68 examples it’s easier for me to accomplish my goals. The early dates not so much this example in the photo OBV and REV good strike no bag marks no nicks on rim great eye appeal both sides are equal again what am I missing. If PCGS price guide was realistic I would be good with that but it’s not all I have to go on are past auctions and the gray sheets

• Options
    JoeLewisJoeLewis Posts: 1,906 ✭✭✭✭

@Stargate11 said:
    What am I missing here? I normally stick to the 50’s and 60’s because of the shit show going on at the mint at that time some years Dont have 68 examples it’s easier for me to accomplish my goals. The early dates not so much this example in the photo OBV and REV good strike no bag marks no nicks on rim great eye appeal both sides are equal again what am I missing. If PCGS price guide was realistic I would be good with that but it’s not all I have to go on are past auctions and the gray sheets

What exactly is your question?

• Options
    edited January 15, 2023 2:47PM

@Stargate11 said:
    What am I missing here?

You are missing the opinions of those who took the time to post in earnest and the suggestions that mania teased from the rest of us.

• Options
    gumby1234gumby1234 Posts: 5,436 ✭✭✭✭✭

@messydesk said:

@Pizzaman said:

Strike-thru with retained debris.

PMD

Successful BST with ad4400, Kccoin, lablover, pointfivezero, koynekwest, jwitten, coin22lover, HalfDimeDude, erwindoc, jyzskowsi, COINS MAKE CENTS, AlanSki, BryceM

• Options

Question is what are the criteria considered when PCGS grades coins. I’ve seen the videos and I’ve read the books there’s so much you can take from it experiences is key but obviously there’s something else at play here that I’m missing because I can never get past Ms68.I take everything into consideration, but when you have a coin that has no bag marks full strike, , full luster no nicks on the rims and OBV and REV are in same condition I never get back a coin higher then 68 I know it’s extremely difficult to go beyond this point but my five top coins all came back the same never more than 68, so I was wondering if there’s something else they look at when grading?

• Options
    jmlanzafjmlanzaf Posts: 32,036 ✭✭✭✭✭

@ChrisH821 said:

@Pizzaman said:

Dummies, they tried to build a car around a pole.

They not only tried, they succeeded.

• Options

The 1941 and 2015 still in grading I post soon what ever results are there is no shame in my game I am all about the thrill of the hunt and new discoveries. I leave you with some new finds this is only a small taste some eye candy.keep hunting

• Options
    djmdjm Posts: 1,559 ✭✭✭✭✭

Are you finding these someplace or are you making them yourself?

• Options

All my coins are graded by PCGS
    Any coins that are returned as a problem coins I will post the results. PCGS are extremely busy right now. I have two submissions stuck in imaging for four weeks and others submissions I submitted in October 27 2022 and I still haven’t gotten it back. I will post all pcgs certified numbers as soon as I get them for all photos I’ve posted in the past. If you wondering where I get these coins from is by doing hard work by picking up cases from the bank, and doing all the heavy lifting that’s how me and my friends do it and we all successful at it but it takes hard work. You cannot be lazy and expect to have finds, jump into your hands. Me and my friends go through a lot of cases and not find anything of value but we do not get discouraged. We do not give up and we don’t cry about it. Because when you least expect it, that’s when it really hits. It’s always like that. I don’t know why but it is. You have to put in the work there’s no way to get around that and don’t let yourself under any circumstances the lack of finds to discourage you.

• Options
    burfle23burfle23 Posts: 2,193 ✭✭✭✭✭

Was this a serious post???

• Options

You wanted to know how I do it here It is step one check for key dates and potential errors on a 3X magnifying lamp. everything you see on that table is a potential error. I do a lot of traveling overseas, so you’ll see coins from all over the world on my table to be examined. Step two I use my video scope for quick determination to save on time only. and for the love of God, I know that if you use that type of magnification, it’s not considered error. Yes I know this its to save time guys only to save time. just like PCGS I can only spend a few moments on each coin. step three I use 10 X and a 30 X Loop with the same lighting that PCGS uses incandescent lighting no LEDs I want to be able to see what they see with the same lighting conditions. Step four I always weigh the coin for possible for foreign planchets and thin planchets. Just like in PCGS they always try to minimize the amount of time on each coin I do the same at

home the less time you spend more opportunity you have to make a discovery.

• Options
    ironmanl63ironmanl63 Posts: 1,971 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Stargate11 said:
    I clearly outlined where the errors are I should have it back next week from PCGS the rarity of it it’s what concerns me

I call bs.

• Options

This can’t be right a dropped letter A on a coin like my 1941 5c impossible

• Options
    edited January 31, 2023 2:17AM

Not impossible at all, dropped letters are a legitimate error, but that is not what your nickel is. It has been 20 days since you said it was in the process of being encapsulated, surely you have some solid information on the results by now? Didn't you get it back yet?

• Options
    IkesTIkesT Posts: 2,608 ✭✭✭✭✭

@lcutler said:
    Not impossible at all, dropped letters are a legitimate error, but that is not what your nickel is. It has been 20 days since you said it was in the process of being encapsulated, surely you have some solid information on the results by now? Didn't you get it back yet?

Hopefully, the submission is part of the delusion.

• Options

PCGS is behind they’re still dealing with my October submissions from last year forget about the rest the delay is from what they tell me is because of the holidays. And don’t be so quick to dismiss me without knowing my background as follows 40 years of experience in metal restoration from modern to antiques bronze, copper, steel, nickel, all classifications, i’ve worked in historical sites, museums items and private items that are worth millions so I think if I’m trusted to do that, I think handling a penny or a nickel as not as difficult .I’ve been collecting MS coins from all over the world, using error coins to supplement my buyers account and I’m trying to fill collectors wish lists that so happens to have deep pockets so I’ve done pretty well for myself. I’ve been collecting coins since 18 I never like mint errors , but they are in high demand. I can’t ignore the potential to fund my collectors account. I will post every coin I ever posted with all results but the information PCGS has given me has been incorrect. Not my fault. They are extremely behind right now as shown in the photo

• Options

Fascinating.

• Options

@Stargate11 said:
    …but the information PCGS has given me has been incorrect.

What do you mean by that?

• Options
    telephoto1telephoto1 Posts: 4,752 ✭✭✭✭✭

After looking at that rare nickel in the first post, the first thing that jumped out at me is that the font of the A at the left rim is not the same as that as the A in AMERICA. As others have stated already... something being encapsulated doesn't mean it's going to be called an error. Looks like a vise gripped PMD piece. A couple of your other errors look like legit pieces though. Thanks for the lecture. It will be given all the consideration it is due. B)

RIP Mom- 1932-2012
  • Options
    tincuptincup Posts: 4,787 ✭✭✭✭✭

Looking forward to the PCGS results. We will all learn from it.

----- kj
  • Options
    wozymodowozymodo Posts: 138 ✭✭✭

@Stargate11 said:
    PCGS has taken images, and he’s being encapsulated as we speak . The error is not in question the rarity is.

Can we please just focus on the "error" (1941 5c with extra lettering on reverse) in question? What were the results?

• Options

Any updates?

• Options

Will post all results on all photos I’ve previous commented on imaging is slowing everything down one submission has been stuck for 7 weeks because my request of imaging.

• Options
    AUandAGAUandAG Posts: 24,548 ✭✭✭✭✭

I do see some errors that you posted. However, even though they are errors, and perhaps the first of their kind, it does not mean they are valuable or worth the expense of grading. I appreciate you "trying to learn" and "not a waste of money" comment but really? Would it not be better to actually spend the money on an error that is collected by others? I think that is why most are saying it's a waste of time and money. Just because it's RARE does not mean it's VALUABLE. Yes, it's your money but why throw it down the drain. It's not even boosting PCGS stock values as they are not a public company.
    good luck,
    bob :)

Registry: CC lowballs (boblindstrom), bobinvegas1989@yahoo.com
  • Options

Any updates?

• Options
    Shane6596Shane6596 Posts: 759 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited March 30, 2023 6:25AM

I think he found the "million dollar" coin and is now retired, cruising around in a dodge viper with wheelguy93. B)

Successful BST transactions with....Coinslave87, ChrisH821, Walkerguy21D, SanctionII.......................Received "You Suck" award 02/18/23

• Options
    TrampTramp Posts: 657 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited March 30, 2023 9:45AM

"My friend and I" would like to know if you've heard anything from PCGS?

We look forward to the results now that we are approaching April 2023.

USAF (Ret.) 1985 - 2005. E-4B Aircraft Maintenance Crew Chief and Contracting Officer.
    My current Registry sets:
    ✓ Everyman Mint State Carson City Morgan Dollars (1878 – 1893)
    ✓ Everyman Mint State Lincoln Cents (1909 – 1958)
    ✓ Morgan Dollar GSA Hoard (1878 – 1891)

• Options

Please post your results.

• Options
    JBKJBK Posts: 14,793 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Stargate11 hasn't logged in since February 13. :/

• Options
    messydeskmessydesk Posts: 19,707 ✭✭✭✭✭

@JBK said:
    @Stargate11 hasn't logged in since February 13. :/

Too busy walking parking lots looking for more errors.

• Options
    Manifest_DestinyManifest_Destiny Posts: 3,768 ✭✭✭✭✭

@goodmoney4badmoney said:
    Is this for real? Yikes

Yes, unfortunately he's using good money for bad money.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file