Home U.S. Coin Forum

1964 D Kennedy half, what finish is it?

Maybe some of these words,
1964 Kennedy half dollar double die mint mark special strike accent hair experiment finish 🙂
Now,.. you go.....

Comments

• OAKSTAROAKSTAR Posts: 6,888 ✭✭✭✭✭

Better, clearer pictures, front and back are needed.

Disclaimer: I'm not a dealer, trader, grader, investor or professional numismatist. I'm just a hobbyist. (To protect me but mostly you! 🤣 )

• SmudgeSmudge Posts: 9,489 ✭✭✭✭✭

@gumby1234 said:
    64 Kennedy half dollar 90 percent silver worth melt. How did i do?

Fine.

To me, something is happening here.

Disclaimer: I'm not a dealer, trader, grader, investor or professional numismatist. I'm just a hobbyist. (To protect me but mostly you! 🤣 )

• gumby1234gumby1234 Posts: 5,574 ✭✭✭✭✭

@OAKSTAR shadow

Successful BST with ad4400, Kccoin, lablover, pointfivezero, koynekwest, jwitten, coin22lover, HalfDimeDude, erwindoc, jyzskowsi, COINS MAKE CENTS, AlanSki, BryceM

@gumby1234 said:
    @OAKSTAR shadow

Yes. guess it could be.

• Namvet69Namvet69 Posts: 8,929 ✭✭✭✭✭

Okay, 2 all beef patties, special sauce, lettuce, cheese, pickles, onions on a sesame seed bun!

Welcome, nonsense isn't gonna get you very far round these parts. Your pic is fuzzy. If you are actually interested in this coin, what do you think you've got? Good luck.

BST: endeavor1967, synchr, kliao, Outhaul, Donttellthewife, U1Chicago, ajaan, mCarney1173, SurfinHi, MWallace, Sandman70gt, mustanggt, Pittstate03, Lazybones, Walkerguy21D, coinandcurrency242 , thebigeng, Collectorcoins, JimTyler, USMarine6, Elkevvo, Coll3ctor, Yorkshireman, CUKevin, ranshdow, CoinHunter4, bennybravo, Centsearcher, braddick, Windycity, ZoidMeister, mirabela, JJM, RichURich, Bullsitter, jmski52, LukeMarshall, coinsarefun, MichaelDixon, NickPatton, ProfLiz, Twobitcollector,Jesbroken

• gumby1234gumby1234 Posts: 5,574 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Namvet69 Now I like those words, but they aren't coin words and you're making me hungry.

Successful BST with ad4400, Kccoin, lablover, pointfivezero, koynekwest, jwitten, coin22lover, HalfDimeDude, erwindoc, jyzskowsi, COINS MAKE CENTS, AlanSki, BryceM

• robecrobec Posts: 6,738 ✭✭✭✭✭

Don’t know if it’s a D unless the reverse is shown. If it is a D it can’t be an accented hair, since those are Proof only.

• MartinMartin Posts: 945 ✭✭✭✭✭

Business strike Kennedy half dollar nothing more nothing less

Martin

• Clearly a accented hair

• Also, it by no means to be offensive. None the less it probably is just that. When someone absolutely has no clue what even the idea of correct, as to be said of or to be said for when in or of descriptive. Visual or not. I've probably spent ten hours looking non stop in two sessions trying to figure out what this coin might actually mean to some one. I am the third person to have it. One other person and the director of the mint in 1964 I believe. So I apologize and appreciate it's reasoning. Please keep the comments coming. I am fascinated, completely. I do have a couple of other items that will easily spark such debating. I love this, I love you guy's, I love it. Let's do it. Man you guys are awesome 😎

• doubling on the D and the G looks a little lack luster. Also under the four , oh and look at his eye. Really nice.

• lcutlerlcutler Posts: 546 ✭✭✭✭
    edited January 10, 2023 2:05AM

1964 D, normal in all respects, business strike half dollar. I don't see anything out of the ordinary. If you don't like the free, but correct, opinions posted you can always spend your money and send it to PCGS to prove us wrong.

• SpawnfreekSpawnfreek Posts: 70 ✭✭✭

@lcutler said:
    1964 D, normal in all respects, business strike half dollar. I don't see anything out of the ordinary. If you don't like the free, but correct, opinions posted you can always spend your money and send it to PCGS to prove us wrong.

Ya know, lcutler, if you were just a LITTLE less smartmouth, I might participate more!

• PizzamanPizzaman Posts: 278 ✭✭✭
    edited January 10, 2023 6:10AM

That's not a proof, it's not the accented hair. The early proof dies, it's theorized, had the accented hair. It's a nice branch-mint strike trying real hard to tone. But your "I" in "LIBERTY" is even wrong for the accented hair, to wit, see here...

• davewesendavewesen Posts: 6,092 ✭✭✭✭✭

the D on the back signifies it was minted in DENVER ... what are your choices?

• MarkKelleyMarkKelley Posts: 1,867 ✭✭✭✭✭

Nothing special. I have a few hundred of these.

• JimnightJimnight Posts: 10,846 ✭✭✭✭✭

1964 D Kennedy Half dollar. 90% silver.

@Spawnfreek said:

@lcutler said:

Ya know, lcutler, if you were just a LITTLE less smartmouth, I might participate more!

Wow, not sure where this came from, I have never even replied to you, at least under this username before! I am sorry you feel this way, but when someone makes claims like this and asks for opinions they generally get them! Please don’t let me stop you from participating more, I can assure you I won’t respond in any way. Have a good one.

• I'll start a new thread with a different coin soon. Still , and honestly it was a hand struck D , experiment finish accent hair that was probably not supposed to leave. Given to Mrs Kennedy by the mint director. She used it on a presentation for changing the coin. Just wait until you see how this coin does.

• Clackamas1Clackamas1 Posts: 913 ✭✭✭✭✭

Can you blur it more?

• rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Masscash1... Welcome aboard. Your Kennedy half dollar is not an accented hair, is not a doubled die. It has no features to justify a numismatic premium. It is a silver coin, so that is additional value. Have fun....Cheers, RickO

• @ricko said:
    @Masscash1... Welcome aboard. Your Kennedy half dollar is not an accented hair, is not a doubled die. It has no features to justify a numismatic premium. It is a silver coin, so that is additional value. Have fun....Cheers, RickO

Didn't see the photo. Hmm. However that's a lot of communication in comments. Hmmm..... I appreciate your time. Could you lend some more time as to looking at one more photo?.

• FrazFraz Posts: 2,118 ✭✭✭✭✭

I guess that you— @Masscash1 —machine translated the text from another language? If that is so, then you have to read machine translations to study U.S.coinage, too?

• Not much to debate about ddm is that what should be said , I don't know....😃

• Maybe it's D over O for office.
    Hahahahahahahah

@Masscash1 ... Your photo shows the mint mark (D) of Denver, on the reverse of a Kennedy half dollar. Nothing of numismatic value there.... Cheers, RickO

You got it directly from Mrs. Kennedy? You stated that you are the third owner, the mint director, one other person and yourself. You later state it was given to Mrs. Kennedy so she would be the second owner. If you got it directly from her that would be some provenance!

@lcutler said:

@Spawnfreek said:

@lcutler said:

Wow, not sure where this came from, I have never even replied to you, at least under this username before! I am sorry you feel this way, but when someone makes claims like this and asks for opinions they generally get them! Please don’t let me stop you from participating more, I can assure you I won’t respond in any way. Have a good one.

You are, direct, accurate and helpful.

• Jzyskowski1Jzyskowski1 Posts: 6,650 ✭✭✭✭✭

I couldn’t agree more 🙀
    I actually have a 64 Kennedy that was given to George Washingtons wife buy the mint director’s cat. Who by the way is my great, great X42 uncle😺

🎶 shout shout, let it all out 🎶

@Masscash1 .... "Given to Mrs Kennedy by the mint director. She used it on a presentation for changing the coin." This statement, regarding the subject coin, is obviously not true. If this was told to you by the seller, it is an outright lie made to cheat you. Good luck collecting coins, but be careful. Cheers, RickO

• You can only say so much about a picture. Truly a need to be seen item. So happy about this time with this coin. I've had it for a long time. It is as said. From where said. The finish is sandblasted or something. Picture won't do it with the cheap camera that I have. My apologies for this for sure. 😃.
    I can't wait to get to another person to have there estimate of the piece and document each. If allowed. By no means are there any time limit on this one. I will probably eventually sell it absolutely no plans for that.
    Man....thank you let's continue

• SpawnfreekSpawnfreek Posts: 70 ✭✭✭

@Fraz said:

@lcutler said:

@Spawnfreek said:

@lcutler said:

You are, direct, accurate and helpful.

"If you don't like the free, but correct, opinions posted you can always spend your money and send it to PCGS to prove us wrong."

Thank you for the reply. I just felt that you were being a smart-*%%$ to Masscash with your reply. I apologize if I was wrong. I love this forum, but we as a group are not right all the time, and should not denigrate someone for feeling they are right, and we are wrong. Hey, I'm wrong once in a while see earlier this morning. I'll be sticking around, I think.

@Jzyskowski1 —The cat would be about your 32nd great-uncle if the he gave it to Martha W.

• Games...no no no... absolutely truth. I don't who knows what but Mrs Kennedy used to carry around a tag board presentation with this coin glued to it. That's where it came from. So no wasted time friend.

• @MFeld said:

@Masscash1 said:
    I'll start a new thread with a different coin soon. Still , and honestly it was a hand struck D , experiment finish accent hair that was probably not supposed to leave. Given to Mrs Kennedy by the mint director. She used it on a presentation for changing the coin. Just wait until you see how this coin does.

It sounds as if someone's playing games and if so, I hope no one wastes as much time as I just did.

I forgot to quote you, sorry . Still kinda struggling here.

• I know it's off topic but does anyone remember the guy who used to walk around jingling coins all the time. The mint guy. I don't know what you would call it maybe striker... 😂 Cool nickname maybe. Oh yeah in Carson City?

@MFeld said:

It sounds as if someone's playing games and if so, I hope no one wastes as much time as I just did.

Yeah, it smells a bit different, a few posts later.

• Your welcome. So I'll go figure out how to get some better or acceptable pictures. Also I'll do some work on my demeanor. Thank you guys. Let's do it. I don't want to over shadow this piece with me or me words. I'll do better with acclimation and time. The coin is great and substantially rare. I just wanted to share a little and get some opinion on it's finish however it seems a better photo or an in hand observation should be. I'm sure someone in the Seattle area will have no trouble with lending help with the photo. Grading. Next.

edited January 10, 2023 7:53AM

What we’ve got here is

(and post cohesively)

Op, you’re confusing the snot outta me.

Edited:
    @lcutler —you called it—

@Masscash1 said:
    Grading. Next.

• Jzyskowski1Jzyskowski1 Posts: 6,650 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Fraz
    Your correct, but unfortunately some of my relatives met an early demise in the great “Cheeze caper “ of 1842 and others were lost at sea. Whaling took a toll on many a ships cat. Also some went on the wrong side of the law, as evidenced by Al Catpone and others too heinous to mention.

🎶 shout shout, let it all out 🎶

edited January 10, 2023 7:52AM

You do honor to your lineage.

• You guys rock. Plain and simple. The coin on the regular side,..... Man I'm telling you it's going to top the charts.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file