Home World & Ancient Coins Forum
Options

LordM 2023 FUN show report

lordmarcovanlordmarcovan Posts: 43,218 ✭✭✭✭✭
edited January 8, 2023 5:07AM in World & Ancient Coins Forum

Posted on CoinTalk, if you’re interested.

‘Twas a semi-live walkabout, with many pics posted as I strolled around the bourse floor.

https://www.cointalk.com/threads/fun-show-orlando-2023.402155/

Explore collections of lordmarcovan on CollecOnline, management, safe-keeping, sharing and valuation solution for art piece and collectibles.

Comments

• Options
    ExbritExbrit Posts: 1,252 ✭✭✭✭

I used to buy hats from Dobbs - wonder if they are still in business.

• Options
    BoosibriBoosibri Posts: 11,876 ✭✭✭✭✭

Less a report, more numismatic live posting! Thanks for sharing!

• Options
    jdmernjdmern Posts: 289 ✭✭✭

Pleasure to have met you in person Rob! That hat is super cool!

Justin Meunier

Boardwalk Numismatics

• Options
    edited January 8, 2023 8:50AM

@Exbrit said:
    I used to buy hats from Dobbs - wonder if they are still in business.

I used to BE a Dobbs, back when my stepfather Rason Dobbs adopted me. I later reverted to my birth surname (Shinnick) when I grew up, but as a nod to my adopted Dobbs family, I knew I had to have a vintage Dobbs hatbox for my trademark hat. (The hat itself is not Dobbs brand- I got it from a modern wedding outfitter place.)

Explore collections of lordmarcovan on CollecOnline, management, safe-keeping, sharing and valuation solution for art piece and collectibles.
  • Options

@jdmern said:

Agreed! I was happy to have finally met you in person, especially given that two pieces in my present collection came from you:

• Options
    ajaanajaan Posts: 17,125 ✭✭✭✭✭

@jdmern said:

Was he what you expected?

DPOTD-3
    'Emancipate yourselves from mental slavery'

CU #3245 B.N.A. #428

Don
  • Options
    Bob13Bob13 Posts: 1,419 ✭✭✭✭✭

Great report - thanks for posting. I like you newps - the early saxony Taler and the colonial are my favs.

I’ve been looking for some medieval gold, too, but haven’t pulled the trigger. It’s out there though so I’m sure you’ll get a nice example soon.

Thanks again for posting.

My current "Box of 20"

• Options

@ajaan said:

@jdmern said:

Was he what you expected?

Internet people NEVER look like what I expected when I meet them in person! Not once! That’s neither good nor bad. Just kinda interesting, and sometimes amusing.

• Options
    edited January 8, 2023 1:32PM

@Bob13 said:
    Great report - thanks for posting. I like you newps - the early saxony Taler and the colonial are my favs.

I’ve been looking for some medieval gold, too, but haven’t pulled the trigger. It’s out there though so I’m sure you’ll get a nice example soon.

Thanks again for posting.

Thanks. I did submit a previously purchased 1495 Frankfurt goldgulden to NGC at the show, so there IS some new hammered gold in the pipeline for me:

https://forums.collectors.com/discussion/1078885/german-states-frankfurt-goldgulden-of-maximilian-i-dated-1495

And I’ve got a little gold tari from Norman Sicily:

https://www.colleconline.com/en/items/172673/coins-european-medieval-to-other-sicily-norman-kings-gold-tari-of-guglielmo-i-william-the-bad-ca-1154-1166

• Options
    jdmernjdmern Posts: 289 ✭✭✭

@jdmern said:

Was he what you expected?>

He was the consummate gentleman and numismatist, which was exactly what I was expecting!

Justin Meunier

Boardwalk Numismatics

• Options
    ajaanajaan Posts: 17,125 ✭✭✭✭✭

@jdmern said:

@jdmern said:

Was he what you expected?>

He was the consummate gentleman and numismatist, which was exactly what I was expecting!

I agree. Rob and I have known each other for a while. That 2006 FUN was a riot.

DPOTD-3
    'Emancipate yourselves from mental slavery'

CU #3245 B.N.A. #428

Don
  • Options
    SapyxSapyx Posts: 2,011 ✭✭✭✭✭

It would blow my mind to attend one of these mega-shows you folks have in America. I had a look at the floor plan; I think our coin shows here in Australia are pretty good, but the entirety of the national coin shows held here in Australia are about the size of the "world and ancients" district there at FUN.

Waste no more time arguing what a good man should be. Be one.
    Roman emperor Marcus Aurelius, "Meditations"

Apparently I have been awarded one DPOTD. B)
  • Options
    messydeskmessydesk Posts: 19,706 ✭✭✭✭✭

Great meeting you at the show, and thanks for holey elongated cent!

• Options
    StorkStork Posts: 5,205 ✭✭✭✭✭

I'm guessing geography dictates you go to FUN and I go to NYINC. Boo. And no time for both really so it's one or the other. Maybe someday we will meet in person!

• Options
    edited January 9, 2023 11:27AM

@Stork said:
    I'm guessing geography dictates you go to FUN and I go to NYINC. Boo. And no time for both really so it's one or the other. Maybe someday we will meet in person!

Yep. I stay within the radius of about a 6-7 hour drive, so for me that means GA, FL, or the Carolinas.

NYINC sounds cool, though- and maybe a tad more Darkside-oriented?

• Options
    neildrobertsonneildrobertson Posts: 1,181 ✭✭✭✭✭

Wonderful report

IG: DeCourcyCoinsEbay: neilrobertson
    "Numismatic categorizations, if left unconstrained, will increase spontaneously over time." -me

• Options

@lordmarcovan said:

@Stork said:

Yep. I stay within the radius of about a 6-7 hour drive, so for me that means GA, FL, or the Carolinas.

Definitely more than a 'tad' which suits me. We have about the same travel distance, though in my case I use the train. We MIGHT be able to overlap in one of the Carolinas--someone should put a show on Charlotte or Charleston or something. :D

• Options
    pruebaspruebas Posts: 4,328 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Stork said:

@lordmarcovan said:

@Stork said:

Definitely more than a 'tad' which suits me. We have about the same travel distance, though in my case I use the train. We MIGHT be able to overlap in one of the Carolinas--someone should put a show on Charlotte or Charleston or something. :D

How about Nashville? 🤣

• Options
    JohnnyCacheJohnnyCache Posts: 1,673 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited January 9, 2023 6:08PM

@pruebas said:

@Stork said:
    We have about the same travel distance, though in my case I use the train.

Stork said:

How about Nashville? 🤣

I'll be traveling to the show by train and having never travelled by train, was quite shocked at how much it was roundtrip. I could have taken a flight for less, of course the taxi from the airport would have evaporated the savings and cut two years off my life with how they drive.

• Options

@JohnnyCache said:

@pruebas said:

@Stork said:

Stork said:

How about Nashville? 🤣

I'll be traveling to the show by train and having never travelled by train, was quite shocked at how much it was roundtrip. I could have taken a flight for less, of course the taxi from the airport would have evaporated the savings and cut two years off my life with how they drive.

Ah, but to not ride in a plane...worth it. Much less scary to be in a NY taxi! I had a bad day once on an airplane and it got harder and harder to get on them. So now I don't. Someday perhaps, but not yet.

As for Nashville...that remains to be seen, not yet.

• Options
    edited January 9, 2023 10:13PM

@Stork said:

We MIGHT be able to overlap in one of the Carolinas--someone should put a show on Charlotte or Charleston or something. :D

Charlotte ANA 2007 was the last national show I attended before my 15-year hiatus ended with this recent FUN run. It was great. Saw friends like @ajaan and @aethelred there, among others.

• Options
    ashelandasheland Posts: 22,695 ✭✭✭✭✭

Lord Marcovan always does a killer report! >:)B)