Home Sports Talk
Options

Say what you will about Lamar Jackson

doubledragondoubledragon Posts: 22,985 ✭✭✭✭✭

but the Ravens offense looks like hot trash without him, the Ravens have struggled scoring since starting quarterback Lamar Jackson suffered a sprained PCL in the first quarter of his team's 10-9 win over the Denver Broncos on Dec. 4. Baltimore has now scored just 59 points (11.8 PPG) since that date, Justin Tucker has been practically carrying this team. I was poking around the Ravens Twitter universe last night, and their fans are going ballistic wondering when he'll be back.

Comments

  • Options
    doubledragondoubledragon Posts: 22,985 ✭✭✭✭✭

    Yes indeed, Action Jackson is a bad man, he's the only quarterback in the NFL that can smoke on the sidelines and get away with it.

  • Options
    doubledragondoubledragon Posts: 22,985 ✭✭✭✭✭

    I personally enjoy watching Jackson play, he's action packed, he was having a solid year (2,242 passing yards and 17 touchdowns; 764 rushing yards, three scores) before the injury.

  • Options
    thisistheshowthisistheshow Posts: 9,386 ✭✭✭✭✭

    @doubledragon said:
    I personally enjoy watching Jackson play, he's action packed, he was having a solid year (2,242 passing yards and 17 touchdowns; 764 rushing yards, three scores) before the injury.

    ....
    okay, take it easy, no one has come along to bash your man...yet...

  • Options
    thisistheshowthisistheshow Posts: 9,386 ✭✭✭✭✭

    @doubledragon said:
    but the Ravens offense looks like hot trash without him, the Ravens have struggled scoring since starting quarterback Lamar Jackson suffered a sprained PCL in the first quarter of his team's 10-9 win over the Denver Broncos on Dec. 4. Baltimore has now scored just 59 points (11.8 PPG) since that date, Justin Tucker has been practically carrying this team. I was poking around the Ravens Twitter universe last night, and their fans are going ballistic wondering when he'll be back.

    ...
    And DD, I have a simple request...can you please put this statistic into one or two complete sentences...in my opinion it was poorly constructed. If that just flashed on the screen, I am not sure that most people would understand it's intent unless it was simultaneously effectively verbalized.

    askin' for a friend

  • Options
    doubledragondoubledragon Posts: 22,985 ✭✭✭✭✭

    @thisistheshow said:

    @doubledragon said:
    but the Ravens offense looks like hot trash without him, the Ravens have struggled scoring since starting quarterback Lamar Jackson suffered a sprained PCL in the first quarter of his team's 10-9 win over the Denver Broncos on Dec. 4. Baltimore has now scored just 59 points (11.8 PPG) since that date, Justin Tucker has been practically carrying this team. I was poking around the Ravens Twitter universe last night, and their fans are going ballistic wondering when he'll be back.

    ...
    And DD, I have a simple request...can you please put this statistic into one or two complete sentences...in my opinion it was poorly constructed. If that just flashed on the screen, I am not sure that most people would understand it's intent unless it was simultaneously effectively verbalized.

    askin' for a friend

    @thisistheshow said:

    @doubledragon said:
    but the Ravens offense looks like hot trash without him, the Ravens have struggled scoring since starting quarterback Lamar Jackson suffered a sprained PCL in the first quarter of his team's 10-9 win over the Denver Broncos on Dec. 4. Baltimore has now scored just 59 points (11.8 PPG) since that date, Justin Tucker has been practically carrying this team. I was poking around the Ravens Twitter universe last night, and their fans are going ballistic wondering when he'll be back.

    ...
    And DD, I have a simple request...can you please put this statistic into one or two complete sentences...in my opinion it was poorly constructed. If that just flashed on the screen, I am not sure that most people would understand it's intent unless it was simultaneously effectively verbalized.

    askin' for a friend

    I must admit, it is a very odd way to show a statistic, I'm struggling to understand it myself. But, I think it's trying to say that, since week 11 of 2018 the Ravens have averaged 28 points a game with Jackson as their starter, and have averaged 18 points a game without him. Anyway, I shouldn't have started this thread, nobody around here cares about Lamar Jackson, what was I thinking. I'm burned out man, I need a vacation!

  • Options
    galaxy27galaxy27 Posts: 7,138 ✭✭✭✭✭

    the true worth of a quarterback becomes evident when watching his team operate without him

    sans LJ, Baltimore's chances in the playoffs are virtually the same as hydrant never again embellishing a story

    less than zero

  • Options
    BillJonesBillJones Posts: 33,482 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited January 2, 2023 8:33AM

    Given his record of late season injuries (He's been out the last two seasons.) I'd say he's no bargain. Yes, he's good, but not the very best when he's in there. That's the problem. He has not been "in there."

    I know the latest model for the "perfect quarterback" is a guy who can throw like Tom Brady and run around like Patrick Mahomes. The trouble is the running around part often gets you injured and on the sidelines where you don't do your team any good.

    I think Baltimore would be crazy to give this guy a huge contract and a long term deal. He's proven to be unreliable. If that picture of him smoking a cigarette on the sidelines is for real, that's one more reason not to sign him.

    Retired dealer and avid collector of U.S. type coins, 19th century presidential campaign medalets and selected medals. In recent years I have been working on a set of British coins - at least one coin from each king or queen who issued pieces that are collectible. I am also collecting at least one coin for each Roman emperor from Julius Caesar to ... ?
  • Options
    thisistheshowthisistheshow Posts: 9,386 ✭✭✭✭✭

    @doubledragon said:

    @thisistheshow said:

    @doubledragon said:
    but the Ravens offense looks like hot trash without him, the Ravens have struggled scoring since starting quarterback Lamar Jackson suffered a sprained PCL in the first quarter of his team's 10-9 win over the Denver Broncos on Dec. 4. Baltimore has now scored just 59 points (11.8 PPG) since that date, Justin Tucker has been practically carrying this team. I was poking around the Ravens Twitter universe last night, and their fans are going ballistic wondering when he'll be back.

    ...
    And DD, I have a simple request...can you please put this statistic into one or two complete sentences...in my opinion it was poorly constructed. If that just flashed on the screen, I am not sure that most people would understand it's intent unless it was simultaneously effectively verbalized.

    askin' for a friend

    @thisistheshow said:

    @doubledragon said:
    but the Ravens offense looks like hot trash without him, the Ravens have struggled scoring since starting quarterback Lamar Jackson suffered a sprained PCL in the first quarter of his team's 10-9 win over the Denver Broncos on Dec. 4. Baltimore has now scored just 59 points (11.8 PPG) since that date, Justin Tucker has been practically carrying this team. I was poking around the Ravens Twitter universe last night, and their fans are going ballistic wondering when he'll be back.

    ...
    And DD, I have a simple request...can you please put this statistic into one or two complete sentences...in my opinion it was poorly constructed. If that just flashed on the screen, I am not sure that most people would understand it's intent unless it was simultaneously effectively verbalized.

    askin' for a friend

    I must admit, it is a very odd way to show a statistic, I'm struggling to understand it myself. But, I think it's trying to say that, since week 11 of 2018 the Ravens have averaged 28 points a game with Jackson as their starter, and have averaged 18 points a game without him. Anyway, I shouldn't have started this thread, nobody around here cares about Lamar Jackson, what was I thinking. I'm burned out man, I need a vacation!

    ...
    That's definitely what they were conveying. The point of my comment was to point out how terrible their graphic was.

  • Options
    coinkatcoinkat Posts: 22,782 ✭✭✭✭✭

    It makes zero difference what I may think

    Experience the World through Numismatics...it's more than you can imagine.

  • Options
    doubledragondoubledragon Posts: 22,985 ✭✭✭✭✭

    @thisistheshow said:

    @doubledragon said:

    @thisistheshow said:

    @doubledragon said:
    but the Ravens offense looks like hot trash without him, the Ravens have struggled scoring since starting quarterback Lamar Jackson suffered a sprained PCL in the first quarter of his team's 10-9 win over the Denver Broncos on Dec. 4. Baltimore has now scored just 59 points (11.8 PPG) since that date, Justin Tucker has been practically carrying this team. I was poking around the Ravens Twitter universe last night, and their fans are going ballistic wondering when he'll be back.

    ...
    And DD, I have a simple request...can you please put this statistic into one or two complete sentences...in my opinion it was poorly constructed. If that just flashed on the screen, I am not sure that most people would understand it's intent unless it was simultaneously effectively verbalized.

    askin' for a friend

    @thisistheshow said:

    @doubledragon said:
    but the Ravens offense looks like hot trash without him, the Ravens have struggled scoring since starting quarterback Lamar Jackson suffered a sprained PCL in the first quarter of his team's 10-9 win over the Denver Broncos on Dec. 4. Baltimore has now scored just 59 points (11.8 PPG) since that date, Justin Tucker has been practically carrying this team. I was poking around the Ravens Twitter universe last night, and their fans are going ballistic wondering when he'll be back.

    ...
    And DD, I have a simple request...can you please put this statistic into one or two complete sentences...in my opinion it was poorly constructed. If that just flashed on the screen, I am not sure that most people would understand it's intent unless it was simultaneously effectively verbalized.

    askin' for a friend

    I must admit, it is a very odd way to show a statistic, I'm struggling to understand it myself. But, I think it's trying to say that, since week 11 of 2018 the Ravens have averaged 28 points a game with Jackson as their starter, and have averaged 18 points a game without him. Anyway, I shouldn't have started this thread, nobody around here cares about Lamar Jackson, what was I thinking. I'm burned out man, I need a vacation!

    ...
    That's definitely what they were conveying. The point of my comment was to point out how terrible their graphic was.

    You're just trying to make me feel better, but your efforts are fruitless, this thread has failed miserably and it was a stupid idea!

  • Options
    thisistheshowthisistheshow Posts: 9,386 ✭✭✭✭✭

    DD, answer honestly...were your intentions good? If your answer is yes, feel free to be at peace with yourself...

  • Options
    doubledragondoubledragon Posts: 22,985 ✭✭✭✭✭

    @thisistheshow said:
    DD, answer honestly...were your intentions good? If your answer is yes, feel free to be at peace with yourself...

  • Options
    HydrantHydrant Posts: 7,773 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited January 2, 2023 11:03AM

    @galaxy27 said:

    sans LJ, Baltimore's chances in the playoffs are virtually the same as hydrant never again embellishing a story

    less than zero

    Galixico, Let me help you out. The first letter of the first word in a sentence requires the use of a capital letter. A period is required after the last letter of the last word in a sentence. Unless of course the sentence is in the form of a question. If the sentence is in the form of a question a question mark is required after the last letter of the last word of the sentence. A question mark looks like this..?. Also, some sentences require the use of an explanation point after the last letter of the last word in the sentence. I'm not going to go into that now because I think all the above is probably already too much for you to absorb..... You being a native of Texas and most likely suffering from all the associated problems that entails. Got it, amigo?

    One more thing. All proper names require the first letter to be a capital letter. Regardless of the placement of the proper name within the sentence, i.e., Hydrant is a proper name!

    Whatever. I have more important things to do today than waste my valuable time trying to help you fix your obviously deficient writing.

    I'm leaving now! Bye.

  • Options
    galaxy27galaxy27 Posts: 7,138 ✭✭✭✭✭

    @Hydrant

    just checking for a pulse big guy

    the heart seems to be beating just fine 😂

  • Options
    HydrantHydrant Posts: 7,773 ✭✭✭✭✭

    @galaxy27 said:
    @Hydrant

    just checking for a pulse big guy

    the heart seems to be beating just fine 😂

    Yours or mine?

  • Options
    HydrantHydrant Posts: 7,773 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited January 2, 2023 12:16PM

    @Hydrant said:

    @galaxy27 said:
    @Hydrant

    just checking for a pulse big guy

    the heart seems to be beating just fine 😂

    Yours or mine?

    However, Galixico, ol' buddy buddy, I'm going to overlook the fact that you obviously were asleep, bored, or just looking out the window and daydreaming during your formative educational years..

    When old Miss Missed was TRYING to pound the proper rules of English grammar into your skull full of mush...

    And why do I forgive you? Because I appreciate your use of the word " embellish " to describe the stories that I post instead of the word "lie" that I have been accused of by others around here who shall remain nameless. It reveals that there is a human element of sensitivity to you.... However flickering it may be.
    All Is Forgiven...

    HAPPY NEW YEAR!

  • Options
    2dueces2dueces Posts: 6,251 ✭✭✭✭✭

    Never been a fan of Jackson as everyone here knows. When you design an offense with only one player in mind you’re asking for trouble when that player seems to have a problem staying on the field. Covid, illness, injury late last year and now this.
    No back up is going to be an instant plug and play into any offense but since the Ravens haven’t paid ANY player how come they are so lacking of talent at WR? They just bring in retreads over and over.
    The blame is on the scheme and lack of dynamic play makers. Stop Jackson and you stop the Ravens. He’s never been a prolific passer and the Ravens aren’t equipped to make big comebacks.
    A total revamp of the offense, with money spent on playmakers and move on from Jackson. Jackson saved Harbaughs job as fan were ready to move on from the stale product they fielded. I wouldn’t doubt some are ready again.

    W.C.Fields
    "I spent 50% of my money on alcohol, women, and gambling. The other half I wasted.
  • Options
    thisistheshowthisistheshow Posts: 9,386 ✭✭✭✭✭

    @Hydrant said:

    @galaxy27 said:

    sans LJ, Baltimore's chances in the playoffs are virtually the same as hydrant never again embellishing a story

    less than zero

    Galixico, Let me help you out. The first letter of the first word in a sentence requires the use of a capital letter. A period is required after the last letter of the last word in a sentence. Unless of course the sentence is in the form of a question. If the sentence is in the form of a question a question mark is required after the last letter of the last word of the sentence. A question mark looks like this..?. Also, some sentences require the use of an explanation point after the last letter of the last word in the sentence. I'm not going to go into that now because I think all the above is probably already too much for you to absorb..... You being a native of Texas and most likely suffering from all the associated problems that entails. Got it, amigo?

    One more thing. All proper names require the first letter to be a capital letter. Regardless of the placement of the proper name within the sentence, i.e., Hydrant is a proper name!

    Whatever. I have more important things to do today than waste my valuable time trying to help you fix your obviously deficient writing.

    I'm leaving now! Bye.

    ......
    Maybe @galaxy27 has no shift button. Whatever the case may be, your outburst is, in my opinion, out of line. Let's squash this beef, eh...

  • Options
    HydrantHydrant Posts: 7,773 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited January 2, 2023 12:38PM

    @thisistheshow said:

    Maybe @galaxy27 has no shift button. Whatever the case may be, your outburst is, in my opinion, out of line. Let's squash this beef, eh...

    Maybe? That's the understatement of the century!.... He is FULL OUT OF CONTROL!... I will not let this go! He's got it coming to him....To Hell with the consequences!
    Now please, Showboat, post a video of Tom Petty's song, "I Won't Back Down."......because that's the way I feel about this....At this point it's a Texas thing.......Between the two of us! He full well knows it. REMEMBER THE ALAMO!

  • Options
    doubledragondoubledragon Posts: 22,985 ✭✭✭✭✭

    I see that this thread is still going, fair enough, but be warned, I'm putting you all under surveillance, and I will know if anyone is talking about me!

  • Options
    thisistheshowthisistheshow Posts: 9,386 ✭✭✭✭✭

    @Hydrant said:

    @thisistheshow said:

    Maybe @galaxy27 has no shift button. Whatever the case may be, your outburst is, in my opinion, out of line. Let's squash this beef, eh...

    Maybe? That's the understatement of the century!.... He is FULL OUT OF CONTROL!... I will not let this go! He's got it coming to him....To Hell with the consequences!
    Now please, Showboat, post a video of Tom Petty's song, "I Won't Back Down."......because that's the way I feel about this....At this point it's a Texas thing.......Between the two of us! He full well knows it. REMEMBER THE ALAMO!

    https://youtu.be/HlYeq5f9lqM

  • Options
    HydrantHydrant Posts: 7,773 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited January 2, 2023 2:32PM

    O.K., I'm moving on.....It's time for a group hug around here....Let's just put the past behind us.....

    I forgive, But I'll never forget!....
    Not only that but you posted the wrong video...You trying to jerk my chain?...

    I distinctly requested " I Won't Back Down!"
    Let's Just Forget This Sorry Little Episode....
    I'm Moving On....

    Forgive? Yes....
    Forget? Never...
    EVER!

    BTW...The Rams Are The Worst..... I Left Early... Couldn't Take it...
    Just Moving On...

  • Options
    thisistheshowthisistheshow Posts: 9,386 ✭✭✭✭✭

    @hydrant yes, I posted the wrong video intentionally. I'm sorry. You and @galaxy27 will have to squash this beef privately...

  • Options
    HydrantHydrant Posts: 7,773 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited January 2, 2023 5:38PM

    @thisistheshow said:
    @hydrant yes, I posted the wrong video intentionally. I'm sorry. You and @galaxy27 will have to squash this beef privately...

    Posted The Wrong Video?...Intentionally?...Seriously, Showboat... Like I didn't know?.... Showman.... You Can't Kid a Kidder! And I don't think you're sorry about it either.... In fact I know it.....I feel it in my Bones.

    And as far as my little feud with you know who is concerned?.... Your right about that one.....It's between us two.......And Believe Me, The End Result Is Not Going To Be A Pretty Sight!


    Hide The Women And Children!

  • Options
    thisistheshowthisistheshow Posts: 9,386 ✭✭✭✭✭

    @Hydrant said:

    @thisistheshow said:
    @hydrant yes, I posted the wrong video intentionally. I'm sorry. You and @galaxy27 will have to squash this beef privately...

    Wrong Video?...Seriously, Showboat... Like I didn't know?.... Showman.... You Can't Kid a Kidder! And I don't think you're sorry about it either.... In fact I know it.....I feel it in my Bones.

    And as far as my little feud with Galixico is concerned?.... Your right about that one.....It's between us two.......And Believe Me, The End Result Is Not Going To Be A Pretty Sight!


    Hide The Women And Children!

    ...
    That's a lot of unnecessarily capitalized words...but I'll let that slide.

  • Options
    2dueces2dueces Posts: 6,251 ✭✭✭✭✭

    Huh?

    W.C.Fields
    "I spent 50% of my money on alcohol, women, and gambling. The other half I wasted.
  • Options
    HydrantHydrant Posts: 7,773 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited January 3, 2023 7:40AM

    @thisistheshow said:

    @Hydrant said:

    @thisistheshow said:
    @hydrant yes, I posted the wrong video intentionally. I'm sorry. You and @galaxy27 will have to squash this beef privately...

    Wrong Video?...Seriously, Showboat... Like I didn't know?.... Showman.... You Can't Kid a Kidder! And I don't think you're sorry about it either.... In fact I know it.....I feel it in my Bones.

    And as far as my little feud with Galixico is concerned?.... Your right about that one.....It's between us two.......And Believe Me, The End Result Is Not Going To Be A Pretty Sight!


    Hide The Women And Children!

    ...
    That's a lot of unnecessarily capitalized words...but I'll let that slide.

    THANKS!

    Keep on the sunny side
    Always on the sunny side
    Keep on the sunny side of life
    It will help us every day
    It will brighten all the way
    If we'll keep on the sunny side of life

  • Options
    craig44craig44 Posts: 10,535 ✭✭✭✭✭

    This thread confuses me...

    George Brett, Roger Clemens and Tommy Brady.

  • Options
    Alfonz24Alfonz24 Posts: 3,050 ✭✭✭✭✭

    I concur

    #LetsGoSwitzerlandThe Man Who Does Not Read Has No Advantage Over the Man Who Cannot Read. The biggest obstacle to progress is a habit of “buying what we want and begging for what we need.”You get the Freedom you fight for and get the Oppression you deserve.
  • Options
    galaxy27galaxy27 Posts: 7,138 ✭✭✭✭✭

    i'll give you guys the abridged version of what went down here

    i poked the bear, the bear told me i was grammatically and punctuationally retarded, then a gunfight ensued

    hope that helps

  • Options
    HydrantHydrant Posts: 7,773 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited January 4, 2023 8:27AM

    @galaxy27 said:
    i'll give you guys the abridged version of what went down here

    i poked the bear, the bear told me i was grammatically and punctuationally retarded, then a gunfight ensued

    hope that helps

    That pretty much sums it up, Amigilo...

  • Options
    1951WheatiesPremium1951WheatiesPremium Posts: 6,243 ✭✭✭✭✭

    In the Baltimore engine, Lamar Jackson is the steam.

    He’s steaming!

    Curious about the rare, mysterious and beautiful 1951 Wheaties Premium Photos?

    https://forums.collectors.com/discussion/987963/1951-wheaties-premium-photos-set-registry#latest

  • Options
    2dueces2dueces Posts: 6,251 ✭✭✭✭✭

    Some thoughts about Lamar from the mind of the Duece.
    When Lamar was injured the time table announced was 1-3 weeks. He hasn’t practiced now for 21 days. Harbaugh is finally fed up with the media asking about his return.
    Does his lack of return have anything to do with the absence of a contract? I have no idea but it’s a thought I’ve had since it really seems odd he’s not trying to get back. Of course his injury might be more severe than first reported and I’m just blowing smoke.
    He now has 10 days before Baltimore plays their first playoff game and chances of the Ravens advancing without Jackson are pretty slim. If they remain in the 5 slot they would face the 4 seed, Jacksonville or Tennessee ( Jacksonville) If they drop to 6 they would face Cincinnati in back to back weeks.
    Again I have no idea the severity of his injuries but his availability over the last 3 years have hampered the team.

    W.C.Fields
    "I spent 50% of my money on alcohol, women, and gambling. The other half I wasted.
  • Options
    craig44craig44 Posts: 10,535 ✭✭✭✭✭

    Injuries will eventually happen to all running QBs. an almost certainty. if they do not have good mechanics/vision they will turn into russell wilson or cam newton. it happens to them all. as efffective as allen/mahomes/jackson/hurts etc are as dual threat QBs, they will need to learn to be pocket passers by the time they hit their 30s or they will be going down the cam newton road.

    George Brett, Roger Clemens and Tommy Brady.

  • Options
    thisistheshowthisistheshow Posts: 9,386 ✭✭✭✭✭

    @craig44 said:
    Injuries will eventually happen to all running QBs. an almost certainty. if they do not have good mechanics/vision they will turn into russell wilson or cam newton. it happens to them all. as efffective as allen/mahomes/jackson/hurts etc are as dual threat QBs, they will need to learn to be pocket passers by the time they hit their 30s or they will be going down the cam newton road.

    .....
    I feel as though Allen and Mahomes have already demonstrated this ability.

  • Options
    TabeTabe Posts: 5,927 ✭✭✭✭✭

    @craig44 said:
    Injuries will eventually happen to all running QBs. an almost certainty. if they do not have good mechanics/vision they will turn into russell wilson or cam newton. it happens to them all. as efffective as allen/mahomes/jackson/hurts etc are as dual threat QBs, they will need to learn to be pocket passers by the time they hit their 30s or they will be going down the cam newton road.

    Mahomes has never been a dual threat QB. The year he won the MVP, he rushed for only 272 yards. Just 218 the year they won the Super Bowl.

  • Options
    thisistheshowthisistheshow Posts: 9,386 ✭✭✭✭✭

    @Tabe said:

    @craig44 said:
    Injuries will eventually happen to all running QBs. an almost certainty. if they do not have good mechanics/vision they will turn into russell wilson or cam newton. it happens to them all. as efffective as allen/mahomes/jackson/hurts etc are as dual threat QBs, they will need to learn to be pocket passers by the time they hit their 30s or they will be going down the cam newton road.

    Mahomes has never been a dual threat QB. The year he won the MVP, he rushed for only 272 yards. Just 218 the year they won the Super Bowl.

    ...
    Mahomes has already demonstrated significant (unparalleled in ways) success as mostly a pocket passer. His ability to use his legs, especially to escape the pocket and still be a threat to throw a TD, is very special and is a big part of his game. But it doesn't make him the traditional definition of "dual threat". I truly think that even if he lost that escapability he could still succeed at a high level. Allen uses the run often like a dual threat while already being capable of being just a pocket passer. Could either of these QBs win SBs if their legs were no longer weapons? IDK?

  • Options
    TabeTabe Posts: 5,927 ✭✭✭✭✭

    @thisistheshow said:

    @Tabe said:

    @craig44 said:
    Injuries will eventually happen to all running QBs. an almost certainty. if they do not have good mechanics/vision they will turn into russell wilson or cam newton. it happens to them all. as efffective as allen/mahomes/jackson/hurts etc are as dual threat QBs, they will need to learn to be pocket passers by the time they hit their 30s or they will be going down the cam newton road.

    Mahomes has never been a dual threat QB. The year he won the MVP, he rushed for only 272 yards. Just 218 the year they won the Super Bowl.

    ...
    Mahomes has already demonstrated significant (unparalleled in ways) success as mostly a pocket passer. His ability to use his legs, especially to escape the pocket and still be a threat to throw a TD, is very special and is a big part of his game. But it doesn't make him the traditional definition of "dual threat". I truly think that even if he lost that escapability he could still succeed at a high level. Allen uses the run often like a dual threat while already being capable of being just a pocket passer. Could either of these QBs win SBs if their legs were no longer weapons? IDK?

    Absolutely, Mahomes could. With his ridiculous arm, he could become a statue like Brady and still light people up.

  • Options
    2dueces2dueces Posts: 6,251 ✭✭✭✭✭

    @Tabe said:

    @thisistheshow said:

    @Tabe said:

    @craig44 said:
    Injuries will eventually happen to all running QBs. an almost certainty. if they do not have good mechanics/vision they will turn into russell wilson or cam newton. it happens to them all. as efffective as allen/mahomes/jackson/hurts etc are as dual threat QBs, they will need to learn to be pocket passers by the time they hit their 30s or they will be going down the cam newton road.

    Mahomes has never been a dual threat QB. The year he won the MVP, he rushed for only 272 yards. Just 218 the year they won the Super Bowl.

    ...
    Mahomes has already demonstrated significant (unparalleled in ways) success as mostly a pocket passer. His ability to use his legs, especially to escape the pocket and still be a threat to throw a TD, is very special and is a big part of his game. But it doesn't make him the traditional definition of "dual threat". I truly think that even if he lost that escapability he could still succeed at a high level. Allen uses the run often like a dual threat while already being capable of being just a pocket passer. Could either of these QBs win SBs if their legs were no longer weapons? IDK?

    Absolutely, Mahomes could. With his ridiculous arm, he could become a statue like Brady and still light people up.

    He runs just enough to keep the defense honest. He’s a special talent.

    W.C.Fields
    "I spent 50% of my money on alcohol, women, and gambling. The other half I wasted.
  • Options
    2dueces2dueces Posts: 6,251 ✭✭✭✭✭

    So does he or does he sit and wait for big money from someone next year? If he sits does Baltimore finally throw their hands up and trade him? The market would be there. Someone’s willing to take a chance. Someone desperate enough

    W.C.Fields
    "I spent 50% of my money on alcohol, women, and gambling. The other half I wasted.
  • Options
    BillJonesBillJones Posts: 33,482 ✭✭✭✭✭

    If Baltimore wants to win, they need to start over and let Jackson go. They would lose a season or two, but he is an overrated, injury prone loser.

    Retired dealer and avid collector of U.S. type coins, 19th century presidential campaign medalets and selected medals. In recent years I have been working on a set of British coins - at least one coin from each king or queen who issued pieces that are collectible. I am also collecting at least one coin for each Roman emperor from Julius Caesar to ... ?
  • Options
    craig44craig44 Posts: 10,535 ✭✭✭✭✭

    Now, I have not seen every Mahomes game this season, but I have seen about half of them. My observations are that while he may not attempt as many straight scrambles as other QBs, He will scramble around as the pocket breaks down. He seems to make a majority of his big plays when the secondary breaks down as he is outside the pocket.

    I remember a silly stat from the SB he lost against the Bucs that he scrambled like 400 yards or something ridiculous to get away from pressure. He will not always have that ability as he ages and will have to stay in the pocket much more. or he will get injured from running around outside the pocket.

    From the games I have seen, his mechanics are not fantastic when throwing from the pocket. this results in over and under throws, especially to open check down recievers. His accuracy is well above average when throwing on the run. I am seeing a Russell Wilson type trajectory when he gets into his 30s if that doesn't get fixed.

    But, I have been wrong before, Just my observations.

    George Brett, Roger Clemens and Tommy Brady.

  • Options
    MaywoodMaywood Posts: 1,897 ✭✭✭✭✭

    If a QB such as Mahomes or Allen are smart they will run only in situations where it is necessary and with a high probability of avoiding contact. Mahomes does that very well, Allen has far too many scripted runs and will be lucky to avoid an injury over the duration of his career. Jackson has shown how that happens, he's used like a college QB. For comparison I always think of Joe Montana and John Elway, they ran when they needed too and were generally headed for the sideline. Both Jackson and Allen like the middle of the field too much.

    Back to the Ravens, I think Baltimore should keep Lamar Jackson and trade Harbaugh for their best shot at making a SB appearance.

Sign In or Register to comment.